Deceased/Not Found PA - Karen, 11, & Michael Reinert, 10, Ardmore, 22 June 1979 *W. Bradfield guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From my experience I can tell you a little about what that most likely is behind that stone.

At property corners where two or more properties meet, each property owner would place a stone. They are usually a few feet from each other, and depending on the amount of money the owner had or wanted to spend would determine the size and type of stone.

So I would say behind it is another property corner stone of a different size and type. Here is a slightly blurry photo example that I took of two stones in the pines side by side. In this instance the left one is the Burlington County 1856 Commissioner stone with the “B” inscribed on it, and the one on the right is a property stone. If I took the photo from a different angle it obviously would show one stone behind the other as the photo from the crime shows I believe.

IMG_6075.JPG

If that photo does not show try this.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/IMG_6075.JPG

Guy

Looking it over with a different monitor I am not so sure my thoughts were correct. It may be a wall.

Guy

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/classics/mainline_murders/7.html
You are in: NOTORIOUS MURDERS/TIMELESS CLASSICS

THE MAIN LINE MURDERS

Fatal Weekend

Bill Bradfield planned to spend the summer of 1979 taking courses at the prestigious St. John's college in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Before he went there, however, he wanted a relaxing vacation on the beach. All this business of protecting Reinert from Smith was wearing him down. Moreover, there was another reason for him to get out of town, he claimed. Smith was going to prison for the Sears robberies and was planning to murder her right before incarceration took her out of his reach. "If he murders her and I'm around," Bradfield complained to his friends, "I could be a suspect because of that silly will." His friends already knew of the sad woman's attempts to entrap the bearded teacher by naming him as beneficiary in her will.

He simply had to have people around him that weekend. So Meyers, Pappas and Valaitis agreed to accompany him to the shore on the evening of Friday, June 22, 1979.

Earlier that day, at Bradfield's request, Wendy went to their safety deposit box and made withdrew all the money in it

That same Friday, a neighbor saw Susan Reinert and her kids hurrying to their car, about 15 minutes after hearing the phone ring in Reinert’s home. It was a gloomy evening at about 9:20. A hailstorm had just begun, and the neighbor remembered hoping nothing would happen to Reinert and her kids as they drove in such terrible weather.

Where Susan Reinert drove to will probably never be known for certain. It is known that she met with at least two people. They beat her brutally, leaving massive bruises and scratches on her body including a deep black eye, stripped her naked, then bound her with chain. She may have been dragged a small distance with that chain. She was not immediately killed. Indeed, medical estimates would place her death at 24 to 36 hours after the beating.

During that time, she may have seen her beloved children being murdered. Perhaps she even witnessed the destruction of their bodies. The physical and mental torment she must have endured during those extraordinary hours of bondage defies imagination.

Finally, she was killed with a lethal injection of morphine between 12:15 and 6:15 a.m., Sunday, June 14, 1979.

Late Friday, June 22, 1979, Vince Valaitis was having dinner with Sue Myers at the apartment she shared with Bill Bradfield. Bradfield’s son Martin and the young man’s girlfriend were also present, but Bill Bradfield had not yet shown up. After dinner, the group trooped down to Valaitis’ place to enjoy a movie. As the hours wore on, Myers decided that Bradfield was not going to show up for the trip to Cape May after all. She went back home and to bed.

It was about 11:15 p.m. when Bradfield knocked on Valaitis’ door. He asked after Myers and was told she had gone to bed.

Bradfield exchanged some formalities with Martin and his date before the couple left, then turned to Valaitis. “Get some gas for the car,” he said. “Let’s get it packed. Let’s go.”

It was after midnight when Bradfield, Myers and Valaitis drove to Pappas’ house to pick him up. Pappas took over the driving.

On the way, Bradfield exploded with apprehension for Susan Reinert. “I’m afraid this is it!” he shouted. “I’m afraid this is the weekend Dr. Smith could kill Susan Reinert! I tried to protect her I followed him toward her house! I circled the house fourteen times! I lost him in the hailstorm!”

“You don’t know that,” Valaitis said to reassure the older man. “You don’t know that he’s going to do her any harm.”

Bradfield seemed to give up. “It’s in God’s hands,” he said.

At about 5:00 a.m., the quartet arrived at the Heirloom Apartments in Cape May, New Jersey. They were dismayed for both of the rooms they had ordered were locked and one was occupied. The tired group sat in the corridor with their baggage, griping about their bad luck.

A 4 hour drive from Philly or it's outskirts to Cape May? Really?
Was their a traffic jam?
Even in the rain it does not take 4 hours. They needed to do better than that.

In June, it could definately take 4 hours to get to Cape May.

But a more interesting point is that the sand on Susan's feet could be piney sugar sand, i.e. sand from the floor of the pine barrens. What do you think TeeGate?

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/classics/mainline_murders/7.htmlA 4 hour drive from Philly or it's outskirts to Cape May? Really?
Was their a traffic jam?
Even in the rain it does not take 4 hours. They needed to do better than that.

They may have stopped to eat on the way, or there was construction on the road, car troubles, stuff like that. I can't see how Bradfield would have done anything suspicious or detoured with 3 witnesses aboard.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=2010

However, the court found the misconduct of the prosecution team hiding evidence and deals with witnesses to be so outrageous that to put Smith through another trial would "violate all principles of justice and fairness in the Pennsylvania Constitution's double-jeopardy clause

evidence and deals with "witnesses" to be so outrageous
_________

So he blew it . Where are those children? Can they at the very least have a proper resting place?

The sand, which would have supported Costopoulos' contention that Reinert was killed at the New Jersey shore by convicted co-conspirator Bradfield, was found in the last days of the trial but not revealed to the defense for almost two years.

Yes, that would have been enough for any jury to convict them all. Who was protecting them?

Who protected the killing of little children?

Sand on lifters
washing fingerprints off 25,000
Summer college classes
ditching silencers
ditching chains

Sorry I'm joining this thread late...a side discussion here...

I'm not clear on something. Is the suggestion being made there is an ACTUAL hooded figure in this pic? A devil worshipper? Or just that the rocks and trees look like one?

An earlier post made reference to Old Clinton Road in NJ, infamously rumored to be "haunted" and frequented by satanic cults, the KKK, etc. True, if you're there at night and looking for spooky things, you could start believing the rumors are true. One example is a furnace said to be used for human sacrifice. Of course, no actual evidence of this has ever been gi. ven(Like all good scary stories, it's always something you heard from a friend.) In fact, there is a furnace, and it was part of an old estate. There's even the ruins of an old mansion. See some more here:

http://www.tmk.com/clinton/index.shtml

But what there has never been is a scrap of hard evidence of an satanic cult holding sacrifices out on an otherwise innocent country road in Passaic County, NJ. (Though Weird NJ's website is full of really entertaining "reports" about all kinds of strangeness there. And I suspect alot of the stories should start off with "We were getting high and..." )

So, yeah, I guess you could see a hooded figure. Or a nun. Or an elephant, if you are looking for one. But our eyes see things and our brains make connections. And our minds play tricks on us. It happens. I see a rock that looks sort of human (after it was talked about and I was looking for it), and some trees. Maybe I'm missing the satan worshipper for the trees, but I don't think so. :innocent:

Sorry if it's a bit off-track from the rest of this bizarre story.

I forgot about this thread.
Ummm this is a really bad picture . Use the PSP missing from the Sate Police. About the sacrifice part, I never read that in "Weird N.J. , just so you know. I heard it was chickens or something. That came from a conversation with my Earth Science teacher in High School.
We would talk about alot of things,many things like polution illegal dumping that was not allowed to be discussed in the Classroom at that time and I quote "It may scare the kids". It was a School Policy.
I just knew about that stuff already and Water Purifcation Plants, ect.

The Court TV story is what started that subject.

I wonder if Jay Smith or Bradfield were at PSU in 1969.

They might be suspects in the Aardsma murder if they were.

Can someone confirm?

I wonder if Jay Smith or Bradfield were at PSU in 1969.

They might be suspects in the Aardsma murder if they were.

Can someone confirm?

That's interesting. If you don't mind posting, why are you making the connection between them and the Aardsma killing?

Is there something about this case that reflects Betsy's murder?

That's interesting. If you don't mind posting, why are you making the connection between them and the Aardsma killing?

Is there something about this case that reflects Betsy's murder?

Well, Smith seems like an odd character. The interest in *advertiser censored*, sadism, and obviously murder would point to him being of interest. This crime seems like a more sophisticated attempt at concealment so it's possible that in the 10 years since the Aardsma murder he had become more adept at trickery, rather than just blitzing attacks.

However, everything I've read since I posted that, indicates that he went to Temple for his PhD, and that he was a principal at the school for 12 years prior to the murder, which means he was there since 1967.

Bradfield appears too old having looked further, to be the Aardsma suspect. Couldn't find much more about him except that he died which makes it impossible to verify anyway.

I had heard of Susan Reinert before but never read about the case. Wow, it is pretty intense and confusing.

Questions I thought of while reading:

Was it EVER established that Reinert and Bradford were actually having an affair? Hotel receipts, phone records, etc?

It states in the Charley Project summary that Reinert was not aware that Bradford was dating other women. How can that be true when he was living with Susan Myers and they had even had a confrontation at work over Bradford.

If they wanted to kill her over the money why did they torture her and beat her so severely? Why not just shoot her or kill her in a quick fashion? If you are executing someone it seems awfully risking to hold them captive for almost two days torturing them. It seems bizarre to me that the person would torture like he did but instead of killing her in a violent way he injects her with morphine which is a pretty humane way to kill someone if you are going to do it. Perhaps Smith had her and Bradford came over and was sickened by what he saw so he injected her with the morphine to put her out of her misery, so to speak.

Was it ever established how either of them got ahold of Morphine?

Has it ever even been established beyond a reasonable doubt that the two were co-conspirators?

Personally I was surprised that Smith was convicted of murdering her and the kids. There didn't seem to be a lot of evidence linking him to the crime - was there? Perhaps there is more mentioned in the book.

Do those of you who are more familar with the case believe that Smith murdered her?

Well, Smith seems like an odd character. The interest in *advertiser censored*, sadism, and obviously murder would point to him being of interest. This crime seems like a more sophisticated attempt at concealment so it's possible that in the 10 years since the Aardsma murder he had become more adept at trickery, rather than just blitzing attacks.

However, everything I've read since I posted that, indicates that he went to Temple for his PhD, and that he was a principal at the school for 12 years prior to the murder, which means he was there since 1967.

Bradfield appears too old having looked further, to be the Aardsma suspect. Couldn't find much more about him except that he died which makes it impossible to verify anyway.

Thank you for the reply.

I had heard of Susan Reinert before but never read about the case. Wow, it is pretty intense and confusing.

Questions I thought of while reading:

Was it EVER established that Reinert and Bradford were actually having an affair? Hotel receipts, phone records, etc?

It states in the Charley Project summary that Reinert was not aware that Bradford was dating other women. How can that be true when he was living with Susan Myers and they had even had a confrontation at work over Bradford.

If they wanted to kill her over the money why did they torture her and beat her so severely? Why not just shoot her or kill her in a quick fashion? If you are executing someone it seems awfully risking to hold them captive for almost two days torturing them. It seems bizarre to me that the person would torture like he did but instead of killing her in a violent way he injects her with morphine which is a pretty humane way to kill someone if you are going to do it. Perhaps Smith had her and Bradford came over and was sickened by what he saw so he injected her with the morphine to put her out of her misery, so to speak.

Was it ever established how either of them got ahold of Morphine?

Has it ever even been established beyond a reasonable doubt that the two were co-conspirators?

Personally I was surprised that Smith was convicted of murdering her and the kids. There didn't seem to be a lot of evidence linking him to the crime - was there? Perhaps there is more mentioned in the book.

Do those of you who are more familar with the case believe that Smith murdered her?

In answer to the bolded part, there are no receipts, etc., that I'm aware of. However, Susan did have her own home and neighbors reported his car was there overnight on more than one occasion. Also, Susan confided to a friend they were having an affair and planned to marry. Susan wrote some very sexual notes to Bradfield, and I believe this is one of the reasons he hated her - for her sexuality.

Bill Bradfield was a strange man socio/psychopath, if you will, but he didn't seem to want sex from any of his numerous female companions. I believe this is why all the women in his life thought they were his "one and only". Bradfield seemed to adhere to the principcal of never giving sex to a woman - I believe that made the women more wanting, more compliant, more easily manipulated by him.

Yes, Susan Reinert did know he was living with Sue Meyers, BUT he told her they were roomies, not sexually/romantically involved, and at that point, it was more or less true, although I don't believe Sue Meyers viewed it that way.

If anyone has the opportunity to watch the mini-series starring Peter Coyote it really is an interesting take on the mystery.

It's been awhile since it was on but the one thing that I remember was that Bradfield was obsessed with Ezra Pound and would quote him nonstop.

If that didn't fire a warning shot - I don't know what would.

Thank you for the reply.

No problem. I kind of answered my own question by reading up on the two individuals but something about the proximity and the characters involved jumped out at me when I first found this thread.

In answer to the bolded part, there are no receipts, etc., that I'm aware of. However, Susan did have her own home and neighbors reported his car was there overnight on more than one occasion. Also, Susan confided to a friend they were having an affair and planned to marry. Susan wrote some very sexual notes to Bradfield, and I believe this is one of the reasons he hated her - for her sexuality.

Bill Bradfield was a strange man socio/psychopath, if you will, but he didn't seem to want sex from any of his numerous female companions. I believe this is why all the women in his life thought they were his "one and only". Bradfield seemed to adhere to the principcal of never giving sex to a woman - I believe that made the women more wanting, more compliant, more easily manipulated by him.

Yes, Susan Reinert did know he was living with Sue Meyers, BUT he told her they were roomies, not sexually/romantically involved, and at that point, it was more or less true, although I don't believe Sue Meyers viewed it that way.

Thank you for clarifying.

Considering Bradford's lack of sexual interest in women (I didn't know this) has the idea that Bradford and Smith were lovers been explored?
What about Bradford and the other two men he seemed have around him alot. Could they have been his lovers too? I was struck when reading the crime library article at how devoted these men seemed to Bradford and how willing they were to believe him. Is it because they were having a relationship with him - or am I just way off?

It seems that Bradford had various women in his life because they served some sort of purpose for him. I can't really figure out what purpose Susan Reinert would serve - what could Bradford gain from his relationship with Susan? Did he use her to somehow manipulate Smith into doing something he wanted him to?

This is definetly one of those cases where reading the book would do a person good. There are just too many variables for someone to get a clear idea of everyone and their relationships with eachother, etc.

I am 39 years old and a former class mate of Michael's at Chestnutwold. It is hard to believe that nearly 30 years have gone by since these events. The picture posted on the site is Michael's 2nd grade photo, I have one of him wearing the same clothes as we and our classmates posed for our group photo with Miss Fulmore (I think). You could see the Reinert's house from my parent's back yard on Belmont Avenue (they lived on Woodcrest). Mike and I did not play often dispite the close proximity, I remember him being in the same cub Scout troop at St. Peters on Wynnewood Blvd., and going to Cub Dad weekend with him and his father (had a big birthmark on his leg). I guess I was portrayed as one of the kids in the tv show about this tragity when they showed a Cub Scout meeting. His father lived in the same community for years, re-married and attended my mother's church (St. Mary's on Ardmore Ave.). Since we have all moved out of the immediate area I do not know what he is doing now. I remember when investigators came to our house as they canvased the neihborhood. My mother had to hide the underwear she was folding at the time. Michael's best freind's name was AJ who had a bit of a cruel streak. After Michael and his sister disappeared the rumour is that AJ had a nervous breakdown and the family had to move. Very sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse
Back