PA - Leon Katz, infant, murdered, and twin, injured by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I need to review the timeline, but is it possible that the parents called NV from the hospital and told her the doctors were questioning how the injuries occurred and this put her on the defensive? And then she lashed out by injuring little Leon?

The other thought was that maybe this was premeditated? Maybe she injured the first twin so she would be left alone with Leon?

It’s sickening to even try to imagine what she was thinking. This is all speculation, IMO.

There’s much room for speculation with trying to delve into NV’s mindset and what put her in the home alone with the babies in the first place.

I don’t see any evidence that these parents knew NV well. The only documented contact I’ve seen, even on social media, are two “well done” messages on FB. These are not personal, and very common. It sounds like they met at a conference and got chatting for a few minutes.

I don’t believe we know why for real NV was in Pittsburgh. Maybe she was chasing a romantic fantasy? Considering an internship at Pitt?

Bbm

Could be. Sometimes, the heart wants what it wants, or avenges what it can’t have.

Yes, it was misleading in the beginning that the defense attorney said something to the effect of their being “dear friends”. Of course in the era of social media people often feel close to others after a few pleasant exchanges on a professional forum. And it seems they trusted her in their apartment to watch their newborn twins. MOO
It does seem that way, but I'm wondering about under what auspices. That they were in the same field, that their programs were relatively "elite" in that field, met personally even though briefly, liked each other, and maybe knew people who knew each other. Some of this context might be disarming to a young academic.
Who knows if NV was even grooming the couple for some nefarious reason? I want history....

is it possible that the parents called NV from the hospital and told her the doctors were questioning how the injuries occurred and this put her on the defensive? And then she lashed out by injuring little Leon?
SBM
It’s possible, but you have to wonder what she thought this was going to mean for her PhD, her future, etc.

It does seem that way, but I'm wondering about under what auspices. That they were in the same field, that their programs were relatively "elite" in that field, met personally even though briefly, liked each other, and maybe knew people who knew each other. Some of this context might be disarming to a young academic.
Who knows if NV was even grooming the couple for some nefarious reason? I want history....
More history would be helpful, definitely.

Does anyone know if the babies were premature? Someone brought up the subject of circumcision and in some situations that is delayed, especially in the case of prematurity or other issues. If the parents are of the Jewish faith, they might have had a Bris— special ceremony sometimes performed by a mohel.

There are some risks with that procedure— here is information about a Bris and possible complications:

If she was caring for the twin, changing his diapers would have made sense. I also brought up if the twins were recently circumcised.

Without a doubt, a diaper change, or several, would be an expected part of babysitting such young infants.

Circumcision wounds, I highly doubt that.

If they are Jewish the boys would have been circumcised on the eighth day after they were born, according to Jewish custom.

My friends who are not Jewish but have a boy and want him circumcised have always had the procedure done before the baby leaves the hospital.

IMO it’s excruciating that one baby appears injured enough to have to be rushed to the ER, then the parents come home to find their other son dead. Six weeks old.

This does not seem to be accidental, IMO. Too coincidental for both babies to simultaneously be in dire straits.

JMO

Does anyone know if the babies were premature? Someone brought up the subject of circumcision and in some situations that is delayed, especially in the case of prematurity or other issues. If the parents are of the Jewish faith, they might have had a Bris— special ceremony sometimes performed by a mohel.

There are some risks with that procedure— here is information about a Bris and possible complications:

I’m hoping the investigation, in interviewing the parents, will probe into this area.

IMO it’s excruciating that one baby appears injured enough to have to be rushed to the ER, then the parents come home to find their other son dead. Six weeks old.
SBM
Yes, this is what makes the case so bizarre and disturbing. I wonder if the second baby had not been harmed, if it would have made doctors view the genitalia injury differently?

I don’t see any evidence that these parents knew NV well. The only documented contact I’ve seen, even on social media, are two “well done” messages on FB. These are not personal, and very common. It sounds like they met at a conference and got chatting for a few minutes.

I don’t believe we know why for real NV was in Pittsburgh. Maybe she was chasing a romantic fantasy? Considering an internship at Pitt?
I would be curious if she had attended their wedding, for example. Their 1 year anniversary was the weekend of the tragedy. JMOOO. They were different ages so less likely to have been former classmates, perhaps. Incredibly tragic.

I would be curious if she had attended their wedding, for example. Their 1 year anniversary was the weekend of the tragedy. JMOOO. They were different ages so less likely to have been former classmates, perhaps. Incredibly tragic.
Maybe. Then again: Probably not. But I wish we had more information, as to why the defense referred to them as “dear friends”, while others say they had never met before this trip.

Yes, it’s very tragic because hearing that she would be in Pittsburgh, and knowing her to be a respected PhD student in the academic community that you’re a part of, it’s not far fetched to accept her offer to babysit.
It’s not as though these parents did something crazy or irresponsible [like leaving them with a total stranger they just met in a bar, etc. There was a reasonable expectation that this woman would be trustworthy.]

I’m not sure what you’re intending with the diaper points, since inflicting damage on a baby’s genitals doesn’t require a diaper change.
A perp could use the excuse of a diaper change, too, whether or not a diaper change actually took place or was needed.

I don't know why you can't accept that there would be diaper changes involved in caring for those infants. I'm a parent. It'd be absolutely strange if there weren't diaper changes by NV to make her feel comfortable mentioning genital injuries to the parent. A sitter usually tells the parent's what has occurred when the parents were away. That would make sense that she had been changing diapers and noticed injuries. Otherwise bringing it up would be even more bizarre.

Piecing together the story we were told-- Some out of town guest told the parents about genital injuries. Why would she know or feel comfortable mentioning it? It was a way to try to determine if NV was initially left to babysit one or both twins. She must've had a reason to be seeing the baby's privates and then telling the parents. Why dispute it when it's common sense and logical reasoning.

I don't know why you can't accept that there would be diaper changes involved in caring for those infants. I'm a parent. It'd be absolutely strange if there weren't diaper changes by NV to make her feel comfortable mentioning genital injuries to the parent. A sitter usually tells the parent's what has occurred when the parents were away. That would make sense that she had been changing diapers and noticed injuries. Otherwise bringing it up would be even more bizarre.

Piecing together the story we were told-- Some out of town guest told the parents about genital injuries. Why would she know or feel comfortable mentioning it? It was a way to try to determine if NV was initially left to babysit one or both twins. She must've had a reason to be seeing the baby's privates and then telling the parents. Why dispute it when it's common sense and logical reasoning.
I would agree that it’s common sense that she changed the diaper.
And it’s obvious that the parents did not suspect NV, because they had her sit with the twin while they went to the ER. If only this story ended there. I actually can’t believe it didn’t.

This is such a disturbing and sad tragic case. And seems to show an awful level of contempt or even apparent hatred by the suspect IMO? And towards defenseless infants or children. It is not like something was done to silence a possible threat or disclosure by the victim. Just SMH at scenarios like this.

I wonder if there might be any video or electronic evidence that shows some of the treatment or care given by the suspect while on the residence? MOO

But how do we know that he didn't already have the genital injuries. Were the doctors able to tell how old they were? He must have been screaming like crazy if she just did it? And why would she? They would know she did it, if they didn't do it. Is she going to say he already had the injuries when she changed the diapers? Am I missing something here? I am totally confused. MOO. Thanks, Katt

....it’s not far fetched to accept her offer to babysit.
It’s not as though these parents did something crazy or irresponsible [like leaving them with a total stranger they just met in a bar, etc. There was a reasonable expectation that this woman would be trustworthy.]​

True, it's not far fetched and the parents didn't do something crazy or irresponsible, but I'd say to me, and to some others here, it appears to be a naïve, new parent decision that turned out bad. Innocent decision-- new parents need a break. It's their anniversary. I don't know if they possibly just went out for an hour needing a break, and left her with one or both, or if they left her for the day.

I don't know how they knew NV. I don't know if they asked her about her actual child care experience. Did she offer or did they ask her? How close were they really?

Leaving 6 wk. old infants in the care of some woman that just flew into town begs for more background info. Some history as to why trust her with my babies.

Trustworthy as a person isn't the same as trustworthy as a care giver to my precious, still very fragile infants. Then again, if they just went out for an hour for lunch and a break I can see it. Who would imagine so much nightmare could happen while NV presented herself as so competent? Such sorrow now. All MOO

True, it's not far fetched and the parents didn't do something crazy or irresponsible, but I'd say to me, and to some others here, it appears to be a naïve, new parent decision that turned out bad. Innocent decision-- new parents need a break. It's their anniversary. I don't know if they possibly just went out for an hour needing a break, and left her with one or both, or if they left her for the day.

I don't know how they knew NV. I don't know if they asked her about her actual child care experience. Did she offer or did they ask her? How close were they really?

Leaving 6 wk. old infants in the care of some woman that just flew into town begs for more background info. Some history as to why trust her with my babies.

Trustworthy as a person isn't the same as trustworthy as a care giver to my precious, still very fragile infants. Then again, if they just went out for an hour for lunch and a break I can see it. Who would imagine so much nightmare could happen while NV presented herself as so competent? Such sorrow now. All MOO
True, it wasn’t the best decision, but who could have possibly imagined it would turn out as it did? It would certainly be nice to have more details, and answers for your questions above.

But how do we know that he didn't already have the genital injuries. Were the doctors able to tell how old they were? He must have been screaming like crazy if she just did it? And why would she? They would know she did it, if they didn't do it. Is she going to say he already had the injuries when she changed the diapers? Am I missing something here? I am totally confused. MOO. Thanks, Katt
This is what I ask, both about the genital injuries and the skull injury: How could she intentionally have done either, knowing they would point straight back to her?? And yet it appears law enforcement believes she did. But why? What did she think to gain? Look where she is now, and where her PhD career is. It’s baffling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal
Back