PA - Leon Katz, infant, murdered, and twin, injured by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe. It's still odd the hospital let anyone go if it was so obvious Ari had been abused. It wouldn't have been up to the doctor to decide Virzi did it rather than someone else including one of the parents. (I am not saying a parent did it-- only that the possibility certainly existed.) I suspect it's possible it may not have been so obvious Ari's injury was abuse at the time but when Leon was hurt, the doctor decided it was obvious.
MOO
Right— as mandated reporters the hospital staff would have to report it to child protective services who I guess would notify LE. I would imagine there is a 24 hour hotline for emergencies like this.

Just curious: why does the article show 2 different apartment buildings as the Katz residence? ***ETA: I see now, top is Airbnb, bottom is Katz apartment.
IMG_4373.jpegIMG_4374.jpeg

Last edited:
What I find interesting about one of the pics in the article you posted is the look on her face (cropped by me).

View attachment 527786
Video exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com shows Nicole Virzi returning to her Airbnb rental in Pittsburgh shortly after midnight June 16, appearing distraught and anxious (pictured) as she struggled to unlock the door after she allegedly killed a six-week-old boy

The reason I found it interesting is if she has some mental condition where you'd show no remorse for your actions (Not saying she does, saying IF she did. I also don't know all the names of those conditions to call them out)... that is not going on here after viewing that pic of her "appearing distraught and anxious" and "struggling to unlock the door". To me, if I was in her place and innocent of what she's charged with, I'm be pretty darn distraught and anxious too. She appears to be deep in thought.

To me, someone that would abuse a child, let alone an infant, wouldn't be showing a lot of remorse/anxiety/distraught as there has to be something wrong with them in the first place to even do such a thing. There are a lot of killers like that (showing no remorse). Easily Googleable for names of various people like that. Due to this it's really making me rethink some things about the case. I am one that's not 100% in the camp that she's guilty. I'd need a lot more info than they're giving the general public to lean me more in that direction.

As per usual... all MOO. :)

Source to keep things together: Nicole Virzi returned to Airbnb distraught after baby killing
I agree. She was distraught at the horrible turn of events, unable to get the door code right, clearly upset. This is how any of us would be if something unanticipated had occurred. It is not indicative of a sly sociopath who planned violence. I’m baffled.

NV reported that the infant fell from bouncer because he was in the bouncer and when she returned, the infant was on the floor and crying. I've read 2 different stories. One, NV fell asleep and baby screaming woke her up. Two, NV left room to go to kitchen and get bottle and found infant on floor. Don't know which version is correct.
Could be a combination of the versions. NV fell asleep and baby screaming woke her up. She went to kitchen to get a bottle, assuming that a bottle is the answer to all screams, took bottle to infant and found infant on floor.
I personally would go straight to a screaming infant, I wouldn't make a bottle, but it seems NV didn't act the way lots of us might have that evening. MOO

Just curious: why does the article show 2 different apartment buildings as the Katz residence?
View attachment 527792View attachment 527793
If you read the notations under each picture you'll have your answer. The first says "The Airbnb the PhD student stayed while visiting her friends in Pittsburgh ", and the 2nd says "The Katz family home where the crime allegedly took place". They aren't the same living quarters for NV.

Source of the pics and quotes: Nicole Virzi returned to Airbnb distraught after baby killing

My questions have more to do with her coming across the country, not even staying in the family's home, but somehow being allowed to apparently change the twin's diapers, or get near his genital's in the first place.​
why would a visitor be left with your child to know about his genitals. All I'm conveying is I wouldn't just let out of town guests start changing my baby's diapers or trust someone visiting with the care of my young infants. How well did they really know this woman?​
If you trust someone to babysit your infant, I'm not surprised that that includes a possible diaper change, which obviously entails seeing the baby's genitals. If you have no reason to believe that the babysitter has some warped fascination with baby's genitals, why would you forbid diaper change?​

Early on we were still putting together some of the odd details, and even still we're putting them together and there's missing details.

Anyways, my post wasn't so much about forbidding someone to change the diaper, but questioning how an out of town guest, I believe just arrived that week, not staying in their home, was telling the parents about genital injuries when they should know more than the visitor. I was trying to determine if she had been left to watch the twins.

We still don't know anything about NV's infant childcare background or why the parents would trust her to care for their babies, or why she'd feel she was qualified. It'd be quite a responsibility to be left with two infant twins. It's possible she wasn't left caring for both twins as we're still learning details.

Since then, we've since learned the twin's mom was there napping when NV discovered the genital injuries. Oh, okay. (If the injuries were so alarming, then I still don't know why NV would send the father a photo instead of waking the mother in a panic. After all, the injuries were so bad the parents rushed off the a hospital leaving her with the other twin.)

It'd help to know more confirmed details, to make the events make any sense, as the reporting on this has been spotty and confusing.

Now, apparently, but I don't know as fact, the parents must think she had evil intent all along. In one day NV's in her academic centered world turned into a defendant facing DP charges.

Thanks for providing a picture.

I still find it hard to believe that a 6-week old baby would fall out of one of those, if he/she was strapped in properly. And if he/she wasn't, then that would be on the caregiver, in this case NV.
MOO
I completely agree. I believe up thread there was something stating Leon wasn’t strapped in - but at 6 weeks they aren’t able to lift their own head let alone their whole body enough to flip out of a bouncy seat. Yes, he should’ve been strapped in, but IMO at 6 weeks, he was probably safe either way.
It's possible the doctors hadn't communicated their concerns to the parents at that time. I believe detectives did go to the residence to pick up NV for questioning, but I don't know at what time. Has anyone here seen a full copy of the PCA? I can only see snippets on the Law&Crime video.
I think it’s completely possible if Leon hadn’t died Ari’s injury could’ve gone unreported as child abuse. The parents & a friend spent the afternoon with the babies, baby is seen to have swelling, redness & bleeding. (Assuming) there was no known injury or crying. Parents take baby to ER to be checked. There were no prior reports of injuries to either baby. Parents take Ari home, were probably told to follow up with Pediatrician on Monday. If the swelling & bruises were better, chances are the Pediatrician would not have considered this single incident a case of abuse & reported it. Because Leo was brought into the ER with injuries that could not have been self inflicted the doctors declared Ari’s condition caused by abuse too.

I have been wondering if perhaps this is a stalker type case and the idea to try to harm the family and traumatize one of the parents might have been the motive for the visit. Trauma was a research focus no?
It's possible unfortunately. An experiment on a real family - if that's the case, it's sick. MOO.
I think the surviving baby may have emotional trauma from loss of twin and from injuries at a non-verbal age. There may even be lasting physical/sexual/emotional harm that continues from the injury itself. JMOOO. All so tragic.
Here's hoping the surviving baby and the parents can get qualified trauma therapy. If you get treatment early enough, you can at least mitigate the symptoms and there is treatment available for pre-verbal children - somatic experiencing type of stuff. MOO, I am not a therapist.

"Virzi said she fell asleep for a while, while Leon was in “the bouncer seat”. Police records also refer to him being in “a bassinet” — a Moses basket — and do not specify whether the recliner had straps or sides."
I still find it hard to believe that a 6-week old baby would fall out of one of those, if he/she was strapped in properly. And if he/she wasn't, then that would be on the caregiver, in this case NV.
MOO

This news article supplies more details to collect in hopes the events will make sense eventually.

"At some point — the timeline remains unclear — Virzi went to Roberts and Katz’s home. Roberts was taking a nap, and Virzi volunteered to change Ari’s nappy. She told Katz that she noticed blood in the child’s nappy, and swelling and redness in his genital area. There was also a scratch to his face, which Virzi said was from when she placed him in his car seat, and he flailed his arms, scratching himself."

There hasn't been a confirmed description or photo of the bounce seat or what Leon was in when he supposedly took a fall. We don't know if the apparatus had straps or he could be buckled in and wasn't.

"Virzi said she fell asleep for a while, while Leon was in “the bouncer seat”. Police records also refer to him being in “a bassinet” — a Moses basket — and do not specify whether the recliner had straps or sides."

Last edited:
I think it’s completely possible if Leon hadn’t died Ari’s injury could’ve gone unreported as child abuse. The parents & a friend spent the afternoon with the babies, baby is seen to have swelling, redness & bleeding. (Assuming) there was no known injury or crying. Parents take baby to ER to be checked. There were no prior reports of injuries to either baby. Parents take Ari home, were probably told to follow up with Pediatrician on Monday. If the swelling & bruises were better, chances are the Pediatrician would not have considered this single incident a case of abuse & reported it. Because Leo was brought into the ER with injuries that could not have been self inflicted the doctors declared Ari’s condition caused by abuse too.
Yes, I’ve thought this all along.

I’m very curious about why the majority of posts in this thread seem to be searching for ways to explain this was not a case of intentional child abuse and murder. Why is that?
Just speaking for myself: I am not searching for ways to find her innocent—and if NV proves to be an intentional abuser/murderer, I will accept it.

However , what I am expressing is being perplexed by the appearance of seemingly normal history of NV, and as others have agreed, the sudden turn into monster facing the death penalty is baffling.

I would like a lot more information. I find the case perplexing, personally.

This news article supplies more details to collect in hopes the events will make sense eventually.

"At some point — the timeline remains unclear — Virzi went to Roberts and Katz’s home. Roberts was taking a nap, and Virzi volunteered to change Ari’s nappy. She told Katz that she noticed blood in the child’s nappy, and swelling and redness in his genital area. There was also a scratch to his face, which Virzi said was from when she placed him in his car seat, and he flailed his arms, scratching himself."

There hasn't been a confirmed description or photo of the bounce seat or what Leon was in when he supposedly took a fall. We don't know if the apparatus had straps or he could be buckled in and wasn't.

Thanks for linking this!

Early on we were still putting together some of the odd details, and even still we're putting them together and there's missing details.

Anyways, my post wasn't so much about forbidding someone to change the diaper, but questioning how an out of town guest, I believe just arrived that week, not staying in their home, was telling the parents about genital injuries when they should know more than the visitor. I was trying to determine if she had been left to watch the twins.

We still don't know anything about NV's infant childcare background or why the parents would trust her to care for their babies, or why she'd feel she was qualified. It'd be quite a responsibility to be left with two infant twins. It's possible she wasn't left caring for both twins as we're still learning details.

Since then, we've since learned the twin's mom was there napping when NV discovered the genital injuries. Oh, okay. (If the injuries were so alarming, then I still don't know why NV would send the father a photo instead of waking the mother in a panic. After all, the injuries were so bad the parents rushed off the a hospital leaving her with the other twin.)

It'd help to know more confirmed details, to make the events make any sense, as the reporting on this has been spotty and confusing.

Now, apparently, but I don't know as fact, the parents must think she had evil intent all along. In one day NV's in her academic centered world turned into a defendant facing DP charges.

I’m more confused with the new information than I was earlier! I added my own assumptions and they were all wrong apparently! But at least with my thoughts thrown in some things made sense! It seems NV wasn’t alone with the babies prior to mom & dad taking Ari to the ER. I read somewhere that NV doesn’t have younger siblings and that is something that has bothered her for a long time. That still doesn’t explain why this seemingly normal Psych Student caused her friends a lifetime of pain & suffering.

How exactly did NV hurt Ari, causing swelling, bruising, redness, bleeding & scratches? At least the first 3 things would take longer than a diaper change… they would also cause the baby to cry out or scream. Did Ari scream when NV changed his diaper? I know some babies cry when they get a diaper changed, so if he normally cried that might not have alerted his dad to run in. I can see snapping a picture to show dad, asking “Hey, is this normal?” or “Is this new?”

I do understand now why they would run to the ER, blood in a diaper at 6 weeks could be caused by a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). The swelling & redness could also be signs of infection. So that question is answered for me.

Nothing else about this situation makes sense. How can anyone possibly hurt/abuse 2 brand new perfect little babies?

I’m more confused with the new information than I was earlier! I added my own assumptions and they were all wrong apparently! But at least with my thoughts thrown in some things made sense!....

Oh, @abyquinn, you're trying to understand and that's what counts. They've really confused us with missing details. The main thing in sleuthing is to collect and gather confirmed info and keep an open mind. There is a possibility she isn't guilty of intentionally harming the babies. It could have been an accident and odd circumstances that make her look so guilty. I enjoy your posts. I appreciate the various angles info can be looked at, and how new confirmed info can change everything.
...Since then, we've since learned the twin's mom was there napping when NV discovered the genital injuries. Oh, okay. (If the injuries were so alarming, then I still don't know why NV would send the father a photo instead of waking the mother in a panic. After all, the injuries were so bad the parents rushed off the a hospital leaving her with the other twin.)...​

Still thinking about this. I think, in today's world, it's easy to take a photo and it stands as proof of events happening. So, I think it might've been wise or perhaps calculated to take a photo to send to the father. I still wonder if she woke the mother right away because those genital injuries with blood in the diaper sound very alarming. In any case, she did send the father a photo. Therefore, I do think sending a photo could be seen as her trying to be conscientious, trying to do the right thing, to let them know of something serious that couldn't wait.

Virzi told investigators that she’d spent part of the afternoon on June 15 with the family, according to the criminal complaint. She said she noticed injuries on Ari and notified his parents.

There was blood in his diaper and his penis was red and swollen, according to the criminal complaint. “She … photographed the injury and sent it to Ethan Katz,” it said.

ETA-- see how various news articles don't have important details you learn in another article? Here, they don't mention the mother was in the home napping. We initially thought the couple was out when she sent the father a photo. Easy to be confused, huh. BBM and MOO

Last edited:
I’m more confused with the new information than I was earlier! I added my own assumptions and they were all wrong apparently! But at least with my thoughts thrown in some things made sense! It seems NV wasn’t alone with the babies prior to mom & dad taking Ari to the ER. I read somewhere that NV doesn’t have younger siblings and that is something that has bothered her for a long time. That still doesn’t explain why this seemingly normal Psych Student caused her friends a lifetime of pain & suffering.

How exactly did NV hurt Ari, causing swelling, bruising, redness, bleeding & scratches? At least the first 3 things would take longer than a diaper change… they would also cause the baby to cry out or scream. Did Ari scream when NV changed his diaper? I know some babies cry when they get a diaper changed, so if he normally cried that might not have alerted his dad to run in. I can see snapping a picture to show dad, asking “Hey, is this normal?” or “Is this new?”

I do understand now why they would run to the ER, blood in a diaper at 6 weeks could be caused by a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). The swelling & redness could also be signs of infection. So that question is answered for me.

Nothing else about this situation makes sense. How can anyone possibly hurt/abuse 2 brand new perfect little babies?
Right, if the second baby had not been hurt, the hospital may have viewed the first baby as having an infection and perhaps frantically scratching himself due to pain. [ I have seen this kind of thing with pets. ]

The huge mystery is why did the second incident occur? If it was intentional then she’s clearly sociopathic. Her defense claims it was not. I’ve never found a case as confusing as this one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kissafur1982
Back