PA - Leon Katz, infant, murdered, and twin, injured by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, I wrote about this early in the thread, when a fellow poster wondered if perhaps this was a wound from circumcision.

If in fact they are Jewish, which the surname suggests but not necessarily, they would have had a ceremony called a “Bris” on the 8th day. It’s a Biblical covenant typically done at the home by a rabbi or specially trained man called a “mohel,”and it’s a big deal. There’s a party and usually a very nervous mother.

To answer your main question, yes they would have healed by now. If something went wrong somehow and the circumcision had not healed yet, that would be problematic. Hopefully if that were the case, it would’ve been noticed by the parents and pediatrician.

Completely agree…newborns have appointment after appointment. Starting at one week after birth, at least in my daughter’s case and then my grandchildren as well.

IMO and experience.

Sorry that I missed your earlier post when I recently asked about this.

Since twins may be more underweight or perhaps need extra care a little longer, is it possible a Bris could be performed later than the 8th day?

Sorry that I missed your earlier post when I recently asked about this.

Since twins may be more underweight or perhaps need extra care a little longer, is it possible a Bris could be performed later than the 8th day?
That’s an interesting question. Twins are often born a month premature and are smaller. I was 3 lb. 15 oz. and my twin sister was 5lb. 4 oz.

Circumcision is a Biblical commandment and must be done on the 8th day, which is typically practiced by Orthodox as well as more secular Jewish people.

However, in the Jewish religion, preserving life is the most important ethic, so I would guess that if one or both boys were not healthy enough, it could be postponed.

To be a factor in genital injury to Ari, though, circumcision would have been performed late enough that there was still some bleeding. I find this doubtful. It’s really a very routine procedure.

It may be a moot point altogether. They may not be Jewish, or the mother may not be Jewish and not want a Bris; but even so, many boys of all faiths are circumcised when they are a few days old. Health reasons or parents’ preference, usually then done before the boy leaves the hospital.

I say all this to reiterate that IMO, it is very unlikely that Ari’s genital wounds had anything to do with being circumcised.

I would still believe that NV may be innocent in some way IF only one baby was injured under her care. Both babies injured or dead; no, I find that too incredible to be accidental or coincidental.

JMO

Last edited:
You are probably correct although there are pretty striking variations in proportions across babies. And these babies were twins so one could reach the other if they slept in one crib as young twins sometimes do. I'm not arguing that's what happened but I'm not yet convinced NV harmed Ari. If nothing else, it doesn't appear she was alone with him except during the diaper change where she said discovered the injury. And IMO the doctors didn't see this as abuse until later. They let the parents leave the hospital with the baby, something that IMO wouldn't have happened had the doctors called CPS.
MOO
If the babies were in a crib or bassinette together, they would both very likely be in diapers. How would one have access to the other's genital area. Plus, they do not have much control of where the hands/arms go at that age, so how would he be able to have access to his brother's genital area, and not just one scratch, but repeatedly? Thanks. MOO Katt

I would still believe that NV may be innocent in some way IF only one baby was injured under her care. Both babies injured or dead; no, I find that too incredible to be accidental or coincidental.
RSBM

Yes. I wholeheartedly agree.

It is highly improbable that twins would acquire non-accidental injuries, causing death to one of them, by two different perpetrators, on the same day, both 'discovered' by the accused, a non-parent, while they were in her immediate care.

On the face of it.

On AK, that includes bruising (that is subcutaneous bleeding), and swelling, to areas protected by clothing and a diaper, not just a few scratches.

JMO

The Airbnb message she sent to them said she wouldn't be checking in until 11:30 p.m. June 13th. So, she was only there a few days when this happened.

Court papers state that after the 911 call for Leon, the dad, Ethan, rushed home, arriving just as paramedics pulled up. As Leon was transported to the hospital by ambulance, Ethan and Virzi drove to the hospital separately.

The accused killer didn't stay there long. The Airbnb surveillance footage shows Virzi arriving back at her rental at 12:53am on June 16 a little more than 90 minutes from the time paramedics were called.

[...]

As she headed in for the night, Leon was barely clinging to life. The baby was pronounced dead at 5:47am the morning of June 16.

The Airbnb message she sent to them said she wouldn't be checking in until 11:30 p.m. June 13th. So, she was only there a few days when this happened.

Court papers state that after the 911 call for Leon, the dad, Ethan, rushed home, arriving just as paramedics pulled up. As Leon was transported to the hospital by ambulance, Ethan and Virzi drove to the hospital separately.

The accused killer didn't stay there long. The Airbnb surveillance footage shows Virzi arriving back at her rental at 12:53am on June 16 a little more than 90 minutes from the time paramedics were called.

[...]

As she headed in for the night, Leon was barely clinging to life. The baby was pronounced dead at 5:47am the morning of June 16.
So Leon was pronounced dead at 5.47am and this article says ..."police were already on their way to Virzi's Airbnb at that moment. The video shows her stepping out of her rental at 5.45am. She reached for her phone and made a phone call. She then waited on the sidewalk. Police cars pulled up at 5.50pm (typo prob. should be a.m.). Two officers hopped out and could be seen confronting her on the sidewalk, before leading her into the patrol car."

I wonder if she was waiting for a taxi. I can't tell from the photo if she had any luggage at her feet or had intended to check out. Probably the article would have mentioned it if that was the case, but they make it sound like she was fleeing, with another line saying she "made a hasty exit".

JMO

So Leon was pronounced dead at 5.47am and this article says ..."police were already on their way to Virzi's Airbnb at that moment. The video shows her stepping out of her rental at 5.45am. She reached for her phone and made a phone call. She then waited on the sidewalk. Police cars pulled up at 5.50pm (typo prob. should be a.m.). Two officers hopped out and could be seen confronting her on the sidewalk, before leading her into the patrol car."

I wonder if she was waiting for a taxi. I can't tell from the photo if she had any luggage at her feet or had intended to check out. Probably the article would have mentioned it if that was the case, but they make it sound like she was fleeing, with another line saying she "made a hasty exit".

JMO​
I have to get to bed after this post. Staying up too late again.

Thanks, @Tortoise. I see what you're pointing out and where it says that. Sounds like it was the same morning the baby passed away, but further down under the photo it says a few days. So, confusing. I don't think she had luggage with her and may have been expecting LE? Or going to see the parents, but that'd be awkward. (Sorry, too tired to think.) Of note-- I thought she had a rental car because in the quote I posted she and the twin's father drove separate cars to the hospital.

1725010379029.png1725010210520.png Watch the video at the top of the page of her coming out. I don't see her with any luggage, just holding her phone. (Screenshots from video I took are above.)

What it say under the photo in the article:
She can be seen stepping outside and making a phone call before police swooped in and took her into custody a few days later. She was taken to police headquarters for questioning, where she agreed to speak without a lawyer present

1725009513249.png

I see where it says that, like it was the same morning the baby passed away, but further down under the photo it says a few days. So, confusing. Also, I thought she had a rental car because in the quote I posted she and the twin's father drove separate cars to the hospital.

View attachment 527910View attachment 527909 Watch the video at the top of the page of her coming out. I don't see her with any luggage, just holding her phone. ( Screenshots from video I took are above.)

She can be seen stepping outside and making a phone call before police swooped in and took her into custody a few days later. She was taken to police headquarters for questioning, where she agreed to speak without a lawyer present

View attachment 527908

I think the photo caption is more sloppy reporting. The article words it as if it's the same time Leon died, with police already making their way to her address.

The PCA doesn't actually say separate cars, it says they drove to the hospital separately. This could also mean they were together but drove separately from the ambulance transporting Leon, IMO.

Thanks, @Tortoise. I see what you're pointing out and where it says that. Sounds like it was the same morning the baby passed away, but further down under the photo it says a few days. So, confusing. I don't think she had luggage with her and may have been expecting LE? Or going to see the parents, but that'd be awkward. (Sorry, too tired to think.) Of note-- I thought she had a rental car because in the quote I posted she and the twin's father drove separate cars to the hospital.

View attachment 527910View attachment 527909 Watch the video at the top of the page of her coming out. I don't see her with any luggage, just holding her phone. (Screenshots from video I took are above.)

View attachment 527908

In the photo of her on the phone, it looks like she may have just received the news of Leon’s death.

So horrible.

Last edited:
If the babies were in a crib or bassinette together, ... Plus, they do not have much control of where the hands/arms go at that age, so how would he be able to have access to his brother's genital area, and not just one scratch, but repeatedly? Thanks. MOO Katt
Yes, thank you. My brain isn't finding the words it needs apparently, but that's the point I was aiming for a few pages back with "flailing arms" etc. Little babies don't have much control over their arm movements.

I've just checked a baby milestone's list Baby development milestones and see that the first named milestone with hands/arms "brings hands together over chest and chin" is at 2 months, achieved by half of babies. Further milestones like batting at a toy 3 months and attempting to grasp 4 months.

Of course some babies develop faster than others and being able to scratch own tummy and further down is unlikely to be on a milestone list.
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back