PA - Leon Katz, infant, murdered, and twin, injured by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’ll be interested to hear what you think. It’s interesting to me as well that Ari’s injuries weren’t flagged as abuse until Leon was injured.

Since the prosecution is using the suspected abuse of Ari as a factor to qualify her for the death penalty, it seems a little iffy. I think a good defense attorney could use the fact that medical staff didn’t initially raise the possibility of child abuse based on Ari’s symptoms to create reasonable doubt.
We really don't know what had been flagged at what time, so it's not possible to cite it as fact until we get a timeline. They were still at the hospital at around 11.30pm ish which was five hours later, and so it's not as if we can say for sure that things were just assumed to be non-suspicious. He hadn't been discharged yet, because they were all still there for later interviews. It's possible conversations were still being had, with the parents, and possibly also between doctors behind closed doors, when the emergency with Leon came through.

I don’t understand what this would imply. Two incidents are the minimum to establish a pattern. They wouldn’t have been able to identify a trend after seeing only one injury.
No, one needs two cases to see a linear trend. More to see anything that's not linear. But in suspecting child abuse in an ER it's not clear they'd be looking for a trend. Mandated reporters don't need to see trends nor should they wait to see trends before reporting. Doctors are mandated reporters. A doctor saw Ari first. Either there was evidence to suspect he was abused or there was not. Certainly a doctor has been quoted (now) saying, in effect, it was obviously abuse based on the details of the injury. But it's not clear he thought that earlier as it's not clear when Ari's injury was reported. Yet no trend is required to start an abuse investigation if a single case appears it could be abuse. However, to me it doesn't appear that's what happened. The quoted interviews with the parents include mention of Leon's situation so they happened after Leon was injured. Using Leon to prove Ari was abused and then using Ari's abuse to say the death penalty is warranted for Leon seems questionable IF that's what is happening. I admit there's lots we don't know but that applies to the opposite argument too. That Ari's case was treated as an abuse case from the get-go. I don't think there's any way we can know that now for sure.
MOO

We really don't know what had been flagged at what time, so it's not possible to cite it as fact until we get a timeline. They were still at the hospital at around 11.30pm ish which was five hours later, and so it's not as if we can say for sure that things were just assumed to be non-suspicious. He hadn't been discharged yet, because they were all still there for later interviews. It's possible conversations were still being had, with the parents, and possibly also between doctors behind closed doors, when the emergency with Leon came through.

That’s a good point and I guess the medical staff may have still been running tests, and hopefully starting to conduct an investigation.

I guess the proof will be in their documentation and whether they had initiated a call to Child Protective Services yet based on Ari’s injuries. At some point that information will be available through the discovery process.( editing to add — available to the legal team that is) All IMO.

Last edited:
Just reflecting: My own feeling is that one of two extremes is the truth:
1. She intentionally hurt Ari, and then Leon for whatever reason (psychotic from ingesting a drug, or was an unknown ticking time bomb that her friends were unaware of).
OR
2. Did not hurt Ari and honestly pointed out the injuries she saw; hurt Leon by accident. ( If true, she’s extraordinarily unlucky).
Only a lot more information will reveal which.
MOO

... snipped to reply
^^^ This video shows the Probably Cause Affidavit which is more official information, but is still missing crucial details at that point. (MOO, it's like a "he said she said" timeline of initial events.)
A doctor saw Ari first. Either there was evidence to suspect he was abused or there was not. Certainly a doctor has been quoted (now) saying, in effect, it was obviously abuse based on the details of the injury. But it's not clear he thought that earlier as it's not clear when Ari's injury was reported.
Reading the above, it seems to me the interview of the parents occurred after NV had called 911 about Leon and Leon had been taken to the hospital. It's not clear at all to me the detectives were called based on Ari's injury prior to being notified of Leon's. So as I've said before, it appears to me the medical staff's view of Ari's injury changed after Leon was injured. I'll watch the video when I get home but the screen shot from the PCA seems to say that. So I'm still not sure there was an interview of the parents early on (except that any doctor would ask what happened.)
MOO

It's difficult to determine the timing of all this reporting, but both injuries of twins were under the diagnosis supervision of that Dr. Wolford of the Child Advocacy Center; therefore, to say both means it was after Leon suffered critical head injuries.

I understand what you're saying. I would think initially other doctors were assigned to each twin, and later these suspicions were brought to Dr. Wolford's attention to report it as possible abuse. Was AK's injuries at first considered abuse? That's the question.

MOO, I think the injuries reported by the individual doctors of each twin will stand on their own and must be proved on their own that it was or wasn't abuse when this all goes to trial. If they released AK & the parents to go home without suspicions then... all that's going to come out in court hopefully. There's two circumstantial events being linked together, but to me must be looked at completely separately.

My own side note thoughts-- the twin's mother was sleeping in the home when AK's injuries supposedly happened. Like other's have said, that baby must've been screaming if it was being tortured. It makes me wonder if those injuries were happening before, and maybe baby was extremely fussy, even scratching it's face, but no one realized something else was causing those injuries until NV changed that diaper.

MOO, yes, very aggressively pursuing the Death Penalty, the Prosecution has kept both twin's injuries lumped them together. I guess they're going to try to make one previous twin's injuries into NV's history of torturing babies, or something. I bet her Defense Attorney will want to keep them separate events. They may offer her a Plea Deal, but with her capable attorney there's always a possibility charges could be reduced or even thrown out. I want to hear what the defense's experts have to say about AK's injuries and what else could've caused them. ALL MOO

Press on each and + to enlarge.
1725059529581.png

1725060148956.png

1725060332947.png

^^^ This video shows the Probably Cause Affidavit which is more official information, but is still missing crucial details at that point. (MOO, it's like a "he said she said" timeline of initial events.)

It's difficult to determine the timing of all this reporting, but both injuries of twins were under the diagnosis supervision of that Dr. Wolford of the Child Advocacy Center; therefore, to say both means it was after Leon suffered critical head injuries.

I understand what you're saying. I would think initially other doctors were assigned to each twin, and later these suspicions were brought to Dr. Wolford's attention to report it as possible abuse. Was AK's injuries at first considered abuse? That's the question.

MOO, I think the injuries reported by the individual doctors of each twin will stand on their own and must be proved on their own that it was or wasn't abuse when this all goes to trial. If they released AK & the parents to go home without suspicions then... all that's going to come out in court hopefully. There's two circumstantial events being linked together, but to me must be looked at completely separately.

My own side note thoughts-- the twin's mother was sleeping in the home when AK's injuries supposedly happened. Like other's have said, that baby must've been screaming if it was being tortured. It makes me wonder if those injuries were happening before, and maybe baby was extremely fussy, even scratching it's face, but no one realized something else was causing those injuries until NV changed that diaper.

MOO, yes, very aggressively pursuing the Death Penalty, the Prosecution has kept both twin's injuries lumped them together. I guess they're going to try to make one previous twin's injuries into NV's history of torturing babies, or something. I bet her Defense Attorney will want to keep them separate events. They may offer her a Plea Deal, but with her capable attorney there's always a possibility charges could be reduced or even thrown out. I want to hear what the defense's experts have to say about AK's injuries and what else could've caused them. ALL MOO

Press on each and + to enlarge.
View attachment 528069

View attachment 528074

View attachment 528076
how would Ari get facial scratches? perpetrator's finger nails? jewelry?

Reactions: IDK
how would Ari get facial scratches? perpetrator's finger nails? jewelry?
I’m not the person you’re responding to, but it’s not unusual for little babies to scratch their own faces. They even make little mitts that I’ve seen parents use to prevent it— they sell them on Amazon, not sure I can post a link.

There are many article on line about this, for example:

“Why is my baby scratching their face?​

There are numerous reasons why your baby’s face may end up with a few scratches. Some of the most common include:

Uncontrolled movements​

Babies don’t have full control over their bodies when they’re first born. Instead, reflexes control many of their movements. One common newborn reflex is an involuntary startle response called the Moro reflex.

As a result of this reflex, when babies are startled by loud noises, sudden movements, or life in general, they typically react by arching their back and extending their arms and legs, followed by curling in again. Their hands may jerk toward their face, and they may accidentally scratch
themselves.”

“Sound awful? Fear not, this won’t last forever! Between 3 and 6 months of age, you’ll probably notice that your baby no longer appears to have the Moro reflex. You’ll know this reflex is going away when your baby’s movements become more controlled and less jerky”

how would Ari get facial scratches? perpetrator's finger nails? jewelry?...
I’m not the person you’re responding to, but it’s not unusual for little babies to scratch their own faces. They even make little mitts that I’ve seen parents use to prevent it— they sell them on Amazon, not sure I can post a link....

Thanks @IDK. You even mentioned those little baby hand mitts.

Yes, @acutename, babies that age are able to scratch their faces. Please note though, that at that age babies aren't able to reach their genital area. Their arms are not long enough. A crying, frustrated baby, say being fussy maybe from something bothering them or not, would definitely be waving their hands around towards their face, possibly getting scratches.

We were not there. We can't figure out all of what was going on during the family outing that day with NV, or later. I have a million questions.

What kind of diapers were they using? A diaper service or disposables? (Probably not doing the cloth diapers themselves like some of us did back in historic times.) Look, they find little metal particles even in recalled meat & food products, so...

I still say it's a remote possibility, but what's to say something wasn't irritating AK in his diaper all afternoon, or maybe something poking and rubbing hidden in his bedding. Some odd occurrence drs. might not even think about before wrongfully determining abuse even torture. I realize something happened to both twins with NV around. Just trying to keep an open mind to other reasons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANicholls16
Back