PA PA - Marjorie West, 4, McKean County, 8 May 1938

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No response as yet from Mr. Beck. The link above is very touching, her sister kept Marjorie's presence alive for her extended family. I feel so bad Dorothea carried this with her until she passed. If the article written by Mr. Beck is accurate, Dorothea could have had some peace in her final years.

I am the owner of the above mentioned blog. Angel is my cousin. Her grandmother Dorthea died in 2007. Marjorie attended my mother's 6th bithday party a couple of weeks before her disappearance. As is being noted by the Dugard case in the news, her disappearance affected the entire family. My mother lived in fear as an adult of loosing one of us kids. She had collected newspaper clippings, that I now have, of the search for Marjorie. This search went down as the largest man hunt of its time. People walked the woods arms lengths apart coming through everything, she wasn't there. The bloodhounds lost her trail in the middle of the road, close to where she had last been seen.

catrack,

I'm so sorry about this tragedy in your family. This case haunted me since the first time I read about it.

Do you have any personal theories as to what happened?

It seemed that she may have been taken south. Reports noted that a child resembling Marjorie was seen south of where she was taken. A young boy went missing following and if Marjorie was driven south, the boy would have been in the same path for both direction and time. No one was looking for a man with both a young girl and boy.

Around Easter I was asked to contact Mr. Beck for exciting news. He never responded to my email.

I would like to think that she ended up with a family that cared for her and she had a good life. Anything else is a bit hard to think about.

I did look for a phone number for The Mountain Laurel Review, and the Mountain Laurel Publishing Corp., it's the same snail mail address, no listed phone. The contact us link is the same email I used to contact Mr. Beck 8/24, no response. Is anyone near Custer City PA?

It sounds to me as if Mr. Beck may have thought he had found her, and was mistaken. The exciting news he was going to tell the family may have turned out to be false, and than he was probably much too embarassed to tell the family. It is hard to get a family's hopes up and than to dash them by having to tell them he had made an honest mistake. Just because these two children looked a lot alike as babies and even as small children, it doesn't mean as time progressed the children would still look exactly alike. They could look a lot alike, but without them being identical twins, they would still have some differences. And people sometimes look alike for no reason. It's like me, I have been told by a lot of people around where I live that I look a lot like a girl they know who lives here in town. I have often been mistaken for that girl, and called by a different name. We aren't even related, because I have no family here and am from the other side of the country. All my family lives on the east coast, and now I live on the west coast. So... It sometimes happens. My husband met a guy once who he said it was like looking in the mirror they looked identical when the two of them met, but they weren't related at all. And everyone would call my husband by this guy's name. So if he found a lookalike, it doesn't neccessarily mean it is really her. It could be just that, a lookalike.

Now... When we talk about a man who was seen with a little girl that matched her description, than I think we may have a solid lead. What I am terrified of, is this man looking for a hotel and alcohol. Even if he was recruiting children for an employer, Georgia Tann or some other orphanage lady who was selling kids, he must have been sexually abusing them before he got them where they needed to go. I shudder to think but it is a possibility with what this man was searching for.

Alcohol so he could sexually abuse them without too much regret, if he is totally drunk he could probably do what he wanted without worry. A hotel room so they would have a bed. That makes me shudder. And her being in a car sort of makes sense, because the flowers were left at the side of the road, and the dog could not pick the scent of her up. Meaning to me, she got into a car with someone. Who would take a child? Most likely a sexual predator of some sort. Anyways, here is to hoping I am somehow wrong. Let's keep looking. I think we are searching for a body and not a live person. I think we need to look at unidentified bodies, possible sexual assault before death... That is what I think.

Marjorie has been missing 72 yrs now.

The place that Marjorie went missing is part of the Alleghany National Forest I live in Warren which is about 25 min from Marshburg its near the Kinzua Damn. I will have to take a ride out there and see what it is like but I can tell you its forest for sure. I was wondering since they had just come from church is it possible that someone from the church knew the family because unless you know the area your not going to go there to just take a kid whoever took her knew of her and her family and the picnic that day, I mean what are the chances that a kidnapper would just happen to go into a remote area that they know nothing about or how to get out of with the chance of possibly seeing a child to take. I would like to know if there were any couples that stopped coming to church shortly after that or if there were people the family knew of (not exactly friends) that had moved away shortly after that. I was wondering where did the mother call from and at what time? All it says is shortly after an initial search of the area, I was wondering if they had drove back home then back out again?

Reactions: BRS
I am wondering what the weather was like that day does anybody know how to access weather archives just let me know also the sherriff said that it would have taken 8 hrs to get to Thomas WV but I am not so sure I wonder what the speed of a car was back then? Anybody know how we can get that information? I will keep looking but I am not having much luck.

[SIZE=+3]Whatever happened to Marjorie West?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]BY HAROLD THOMAS BECK[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]T[/SIZE]he Mountain Laurel Review published the story A MISSING CHILD in June 1994 and May 1995 and WHATEVER HAPPENED TO MARJORIE WEST? in December 1995, May 1996 and May 1997. The Bradford Era, picking up the lead from the Mountain Laurel Review published its own story near the tragic anniversary in May 1996. It, like our first stories, had several inaccuracies. This story has been verified by Marjorie's own sister.
The first two stories were taken from newspaper accounts and the memories of young men who searched the woods of McKean County for four-year-old Marjorie West. We were contacted by her older sister, Dorothea, which gave rise to the December 1995 article. While she was interested in our historical news article about her sister, she also offered help in clearing up several inaccuracies we brought forward from the reporting of the time. As she helped, she also said: "I get the creepy-crawlies though...why now after so many years? So many whys..."
On May 8, 2001 it will be 63 years that Marjorie West disappeared. Today, if she is still alive, she would be turning 68.
Local stories claim that she was taken to Canada and hidden by members of the family. Others assert that she fell down an abandoned oil well. None of these items of gossip bears any credence except to note for those who continue to read on that the meanness of a small town is unmatched by the worst war crime that can be imagined. All of the local rumors that have been repeated over and over again have no resemblance to the truth. With the passage of time, unless they are refuted, unfortunately they become fact instead of lore. It is our intent to do just that as we provide an accurate report from the only living survivor (except with God's Will, for Marjorie) the account of that day and the days that followed. Keep in mind, if she is still alive, Marjorie West will be 64 this June. Journey back in history to that day.
It is now Mother's Day, May 8, 1938.
Eleven months ago, Japan invaded China. It was Dr. V.K. Wellington Koo who went to the League of Nations in Geneva and demanded that China be provided "material" aid against Japanese aggression. England and France, during a full session of the League of Nations, looked the other way and ignored the Chinese Ambassador. Japan was allowed to continue its rape of China unchecked.
At the same time they allowed Ethiopia to be erased from the list of member nations and become a part of Italy. Chamberlain was negotiating with Hitler. Stalin was purging the Generals of his Army and sending hundreds of thousands of his citizens to Siberia. The Jews and Gypsies were already in the beginning stages of The Holocaust and the German war machine increased its military might with each new day. That was the world situation on Mother’s Day around the world in 1938.
It was no different for the people of McKean County, or the West family, as they rose on that Sunday and prepared to go to church. It was a typical day in America and a typical day in McKean County. Our nation and our county were still untouched by the tragedy of war.
Following church, the West family, consisting of father Shirley Mills West, mother Cecilia R. West, Dorothea age 11, Allan age 7, and Marjorie age 4, accompanied by their friends Lloyd and Helen Akerlind, planned a picnic. They would leave Bradford, PA and go south on Route 219. At Custer City they would follow the old Pennsylvania Railroad grade up into the hills to Marshburg. There they would continue along the old grade to the White Gravel area along Chapel Fork Road. In all, the trip would take nearly 40 minutes.
To reach that remote area they would travel through hills that had been timbered to the point that they were naked of trees. Only stumps and the scattering of pumping oil wells would be visible then. This was the case for most of the hills in McKean County. They had been timbered and the oil and gas industry was now making a heavy mark.
However, the mountains south of Marshburg were not only heavily wooded, but untouched by the oil industry because of the forbidding terrain. The former railroad grade, now a fire road, ran from Marshburg to the town of Morrison. It was a well known shortcut for the people of the area. Also, with the tracks gone, it was now ideal for Sunday drivers, or young couples just wanting to be alone. It was also a fast way out of the county to the roads leading south.
Dorothea told us about that day.
"My mother, Mrs. West and Helen Akerlind were at the car which was parked in a clearing where we were going to picnic. Marjorie and I were picking spring violets near a rock. I remember it as a boulder. I had been cautioned not to go on the other side of the rock where Mother and Helen could not see us. Even though Lloyd and Dad had checked the area, they were worried about rattlesnakes.
"Allan was with Lloyd and Dad at the stream fishing. We children were not permitted on the fire road because of traffic. Mother and Helen never had a chance to put out the picnic lunch that day. I tried to show Marjorie how to pick violets with the stems, not just the heads, and showed her a little spot on the far side of the rock where there were lots of violets. I told her I would be back and went to the car. I said 'Happy Mother's Day' and gave mother her bouquet. I told Helen, 'Marjorie is going to bring you a bouquet...OF VIOLET HEADS' and laughed. When I returned to the rock, I didn't see Marjorie and started calling her. Mother and Helen came running and they were calling her name. Dad and Lloyd heard us and they, with my brother Allan, came running."
This happened around three in the afternoon. At about the same time two cars were seen traveling the road. The first was going south to Morrison just before three o'clock. The second was going toward Marshburg just after three. Both cars passed the rock just prior to the discovery that Marjorie was missing.
Dorothea continued remembering what happened.
"When we couldn't find her, Lloyd left for Marshburg to phone the State Motor Police in Kane for help. He took Allan and me with him. Later, bloodhounds were used to search for Marjorie. They went around the rock to the road and stopped. There, alone, near the road, was the small bunch of flowers Marjorie had picked."
The story of the missing child would be front page news across the nation for three days. It would be on the front page of Pennsylvania newspapers until May 26, 1938. Over 2,500 people would search for Marjorie. Governor George H. Earle would become personally involved, sending in the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania Motor Police, Admiral Percy W. Foote, to take command. In the end all that was found was a crumpled bouquet of wild violets.
Dorothea remembers: "All the news items upset and devastated my Mother so in May 1938. Losing my sister, seeing my Mother in tears, hearing her cry about the untruths in the Press, the police and newspaper men going through our home nearly ruined our family. There was no privacy. I was upset and I remember throwing up a lot. I remember many prayers and prayer services. I remember one vividly at a church in Limestone, NY because my Dad came out of that church sobbing. That is the only time in my entire life that I ever saw my Dad cry."
On that first night a report was made that a child resembling Marjorie West was seen with a man in a car in Thomas, West Virginia. The report was made to the West Virginia State Police.
A taxi driver parked at a taxi stand in Thomas, West Virginia, at 11:35 P.M. on May 8, 1938, reported seeing a girl that matched her description. Donald MacRae told the West Virginia Motor Police the following: "He drove up and asked me where there was a hotel. I pointed to the one across the street. He had a little girl in the car with him. She was wearing a dress and had red hair. She wasn't asleep. She sat up in the seat and looked at me when he asked for directions. He drove across the street and went in. They must not have had any rooms because he came back and asked me where he could buy a bottle of liquor. I told him about a bar down the road and he drove off going south."
Several days later MacRae was shown the picture of Marjorie West. He immediately identified the picture as being the little girl in the car with the man. MacRae gave no description of the car other than it was a dark sedan, and he did not remember the state the license plates were from.
In those days, the days before interstate superhighways, there were only so many roads to travel. U.S 219 was one of those roads. It began in Buffalo, traveled south through New York to Bradford and cut Pennsylvania in half before entering West Virginia. Anyone leaving Bradford going south to the Carolinas would surely take 219. They would take it south across the state and go into West Virginia and if they were on Chapel Fork Road around three that afternoon, they would have been in Thomas, West Virginia on schedule at 11:30 P.M. that night. Thomas was also a railroad center and a coal mining town of 3,000.
If the girl and the man were Marjorie and her abductor and if no harm had come to her by that time, chances are that the man who took her never intended her harm in the first place. What if the man seen with the little girl was returning home after spending the winter up north working in a refinery or the oil fields? In those days work was plentiful and many men suffering from the effects of the lingering Depression down south came to McKean County to work. What if he and his wife had recently lost a child? In those days it would have been easy to explain where another child came from and have no problems with school records and the such. Between the ages of four and five is when a child loses its baby memories and little Marjorie could have easily been raised as someone else's daughter. The memories of Allan and Dorothea, mother and dad, could be explained away as a dream. What if Marjorie West is alive today?
Today, Marjorie would be 67 years of age turning 68 in June. If Thomas, West Virginia was only to be a night’s stop on the way home, where would home be then? Route 219 ends near Bluefield, West Virginia. Route 19 continues south into Virginia and Tennessee. Continuing one more full day on a southwesterly line we come to Kingsport, Morristown, Knoxville and Chattanooga. Finally, on a third day, Alabama, Louisiana and Eastern Texas would all be in reach. The coastal areas were then just coming into their own in the oil business. With war on the horizon the man who took Marjorie West probably never returned to McKean County. He and his wife probably loved and cared for the little blue-eyed red-headed girl who already talked with a slight southern accent.
If that was the case, what would her life have been like?
She would not have immediately forgotten her mother, father, sister or brother. She would have had dreams of home and they have probably persisted all of her life. If she was in the south, she would remember a place with large amounts of snow and it being very cold in the winter.
She could be married today with a family and grandchildren and have no knowledge of what really happened. She probably still has the same dreams of a place in the mountains and snow and a sister and a brother. What if we could find her?
The readership of the The Mountain Laurel Review is wide. We send it across the United States and abroad through subscriptions. Now we are on the World Wide Web at www.mlrmag.com. We need your help to get this story out. We do not believe that Marjorie West met with foul play and died in 1938. We believe she may be still alive. If she is, she deserves to come home and see her sister once more. Help us if you can.
Dorothea has kindly supplied us with pictures of Marjorie at age 4 and of herself at the age Marjorie would be today. The family resemblance is unmistakable. She sent us a picture of her own daughter, Melanie Elizabeth Francis, and says:
"Mother started taking care of Melanie when she was 4 years and 5 months so I could go to work. Mrs. Saxman, who lived next door, and other neighbors told me they got goose bumps seeing Melanie play on Mother's porch and front yard. It was as though Marjorie had come back. Marjorie was 4 years and 11 months when she disappeared."
Baby pictures of Dorothea and Marjorie were mistaken for one another. Today, the sisters would bear a remarkable resemblance to one another. What if Marjorie is still alive? How can we find her? Help us if you would like. Take this story or even the whole magazine. Send it to talk shows. Send it to friends who have connections. The disappearance of Marjorie West is McKean County's own unsolved mystery. What if we can finally find out whatever happened to Marjorie West?
New developments and a possibility was brought to our attention by City of Bradford Chief of Police Richard Cavallero. Several years ago the television series UNSOLVED MYSTERIES ran a story about The Tennessee Children's Home Society in Memphis, Tennessee.
In 1947 the director, Georgia Tann, won national praise for placing over 5,000 small children in loving families so they would not have to languish in an orphanage into their teens and adulthood. Mrs. Tann was distinguished for the placement of children dating back to the early 1930's and was able to find homes for children in nearly every state in the union. Oddly enough, investigators would later discover that very few children were ever adopted in Tennessee even though there were waiting lists every bit as long as the states in which Mrs. Tann did business.
It appeared that small children, usually six years of age or younger, were regularly taken before Judge Camille Kelly of the Memphis Juvenile Court. In each and every case Judge Kelly would award custody to Georgia Tann and the Tennessee Children's Home Society. Once in her custody, Georgia would send out groups of children (quite often to New York or Los Angeles) where they were legally sold to childless couples. In a matter of weeks following the sale of the child, legal adoption papers from Tennessee would be sent on to the new family.
This black market baby ring operated as early as 1932 with children literally being stolen from nearby states bordering Tennessee to as far away as the state of Connecticut. From 1947 until 1951 over 1,200 babies were sent from the Tennessee Children's Home Society to Los Angeles and New York City alone.
Is this what happened to Marjorie West? Was Georgia Tann or one of her agents on a return trip to Memphis from delivering a child or a group of children somewhere in New York or New England and happened on to the young child picking violets on that Mother's Day? If that is what happened the sighting later that night would certainly make sense. If you were going to travel back to Memphis, West Virginia would have been on the route.
We are sending this article along with the pictures we have received from Dorothea to:
Tennessee Right To Know
P.O. Box 34334
Memphis, TN 38134
We send this article along with hope that once and for all we can find out WHATEVER HAPPENED TO MARJORIE WEST?
PUBLISHER'S NOTE: WE RECEIVED NO ANSWER FROM THE Tennessee Right to Know ORGANIZATION.
What do you think? Click here to contact us.
[ Top ] [ Home ]
© Copyright 1998 - Mountain Laurel Review

[SIZE=+3]Whatever happened to Marjorie West?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]BY HAROLD THOMAS BECK[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]T[/SIZE]he Mountain Laurel Review published the story A MISSING CHILD in June 1994 and May 1995 and WHATEVER HAPPENED TO MARJORIE WEST? in December 1995, May 1996 and May 1997. The Bradford Era, picking up the lead from the Mountain Laurel Review published its own story near the tragic anniversary in May 1996. It, like our first stories, had several inaccuracies. This story has been verified by Marjorie's own sister.
The first two stories were taken from newspaper accounts and the memories of young men who searched the woods of McKean County for four-year-old Marjorie West. We were contacted by her older sister, Dorothea, which gave rise to the December 1995 article. While she was interested in our historical news article about her sister, she also offered help in clearing up several inaccuracies we brought forward from the reporting of the time. As she helped, she also said: "I get the creepy-crawlies though...why now after so many years? So many whys..."
On May 8, 2001 it will be 63 years that Marjorie West disappeared. Today, if she is still alive, she would be turning 68.
Local stories claim that she was taken to Canada and hidden by members of the family. Others assert that she fell down an abandoned oil well. None of these items of gossip bears any credence except to note for those who continue to read on that the meanness of a small town is unmatched by the worst war crime that can be imagined. All of the local rumors that have been repeated over and over again have no resemblance to the truth. With the passage of time, unless they are refuted, unfortunately they become fact instead of lore. It is our intent to do just that as we provide an accurate report from the only living survivor (except with God's Will, for Marjorie) the account of that day and the days that followed. Keep in mind, if she is still alive, Marjorie West will be 64 this June. Journey back in history to that day.
It is now Mother's Day, May 8, 1938.
Eleven months ago, Japan invaded China. It was Dr. V.K. Wellington Koo who went to the League of Nations in Geneva and demanded that China be provided "material" aid against Japanese aggression. England and France, during a full session of the League of Nations, looked the other way and ignored the Chinese Ambassador. Japan was allowed to continue its rape of China unchecked.
At the same time they allowed Ethiopia to be erased from the list of member nations and become a part of Italy. Chamberlain was negotiating with Hitler. Stalin was purging the Generals of his Army and sending hundreds of thousands of his citizens to Siberia. The Jews and Gypsies were already in the beginning stages of The Holocaust and the German war machine increased its military might with each new day. That was the world situation on Mother’s Day around the world in 1938.
It was no different for the people of McKean County, or the West family, as they rose on that Sunday and prepared to go to church. It was a typical day in America and a typical day in McKean County. Our nation and our county were still untouched by the tragedy of war.
Following church, the West family, consisting of father Shirley Mills West, mother Cecilia R. West, Dorothea age 11, Allan age 7, and Marjorie age 4, accompanied by their friends Lloyd and Helen Akerlind, planned a picnic. They would leave Bradford, PA and go south on Route 219. At Custer City they would follow the old Pennsylvania Railroad grade up into the hills to Marshburg. There they would continue along the old grade to the White Gravel area along Chapel Fork Road. In all, the trip would take nearly 40 minutes.
To reach that remote area they would travel through hills that had been timbered to the point that they were naked of trees. Only stumps and the scattering of pumping oil wells would be visible then. This was the case for most of the hills in McKean County. They had been timbered and the oil and gas industry was now making a heavy mark.
However, the mountains south of Marshburg were not only heavily wooded, but untouched by the oil industry because of the forbidding terrain. The former railroad grade, now a fire road, ran from Marshburg to the town of Morrison. It was a well known shortcut for the people of the area. Also, with the tracks gone, it was now ideal for Sunday drivers, or young couples just wanting to be alone. It was also a fast way out of the county to the roads leading south.
Dorothea told us about that day.
"My mother, Mrs. West and Helen Akerlind were at the car which was parked in a clearing where we were going to picnic. Marjorie and I were picking spring violets near a rock. I remember it as a boulder. I had been cautioned not to go on the other side of the rock where Mother and Helen could not see us. Even though Lloyd and Dad had checked the area, they were worried about rattlesnakes.
"Allan was with Lloyd and Dad at the stream fishing. We children were not permitted on the fire road because of traffic. Mother and Helen never had a chance to put out the picnic lunch that day. I tried to show Marjorie how to pick violets with the stems, not just the heads, and showed her a little spot on the far side of the rock where there were lots of violets. I told her I would be back and went to the car. I said 'Happy Mother's Day' and gave mother her bouquet. I told Helen, 'Marjorie is going to bring you a bouquet...OF VIOLET HEADS' and laughed. When I returned to the rock, I didn't see Marjorie and started calling her. Mother and Helen came running and they were calling her name. Dad and Lloyd heard us and they, with my brother Allan, came running."
This happened around three in the afternoon. At about the same time two cars were seen traveling the road. The first was going south to Morrison just before three o'clock. The second was going toward Marshburg just after three. Both cars passed the rock just prior to the discovery that Marjorie was missing.
Dorothea continued remembering what happened.
"When we couldn't find her, Lloyd left for Marshburg to phone the State Motor Police in Kane for help. He took Allan and me with him. Later, bloodhounds were used to search for Marjorie. They went around the rock to the road and stopped. There, alone, near the road, was the small bunch of flowers Marjorie had picked."
The story of the missing child would be front page news across the nation for three days. It would be on the front page of Pennsylvania newspapers until May 26, 1938. Over 2,500 people would search for Marjorie. Governor George H. Earle would become personally involved, sending in the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania Motor Police, Admiral Percy W. Foote, to take command. In the end all that was found was a crumpled bouquet of wild violets.
Dorothea remembers: "All the news items upset and devastated my Mother so in May 1938. Losing my sister, seeing my Mother in tears, hearing her cry about the untruths in the Press, the police and newspaper men going through our home nearly ruined our family. There was no privacy. I was upset and I remember throwing up a lot. I remember many prayers and prayer services. I remember one vividly at a church in Limestone, NY because my Dad came out of that church sobbing. That is the only time in my entire life that I ever saw my Dad cry."
On that first night a report was made that a child resembling Marjorie West was seen with a man in a car in Thomas, West Virginia. The report was made to the West Virginia State Police.
A taxi driver parked at a taxi stand in Thomas, West Virginia, at 11:35 P.M. on May 8, 1938, reported seeing a girl that matched her description. Donald MacRae told the West Virginia Motor Police the following: "He drove up and asked me where there was a hotel. I pointed to the one across the street. He had a little girl in the car with him. She was wearing a dress and had red hair. She wasn't asleep. She sat up in the seat and looked at me when he asked for directions. He drove across the street and went in. They must not have had any rooms because he came back and asked me where he could buy a bottle of liquor. I told him about a bar down the road and he drove off going south."
Several days later MacRae was shown the picture of Marjorie West. He immediately identified the picture as being the little girl in the car with the man. MacRae gave no description of the car other than it was a dark sedan, and he did not remember the state the license plates were from.
In those days, the days before interstate superhighways, there were only so many roads to travel. U.S 219 was one of those roads. It began in Buffalo, traveled south through New York to Bradford and cut Pennsylvania in half before entering West Virginia. Anyone leaving Bradford going south to the Carolinas would surely take 219. They would take it south across the state and go into West Virginia and if they were on Chapel Fork Road around three that afternoon, they would have been in Thomas, West Virginia on schedule at 11:30 P.M. that night. Thomas was also a railroad center and a coal mining town of 3,000.
If the girl and the man were Marjorie and her abductor and if no harm had come to her by that time, chances are that the man who took her never intended her harm in the first place. What if the man seen with the little girl was returning home after spending the winter up north working in a refinery or the oil fields? In those days work was plentiful and many men suffering from the effects of the lingering Depression down south came to McKean County to work. What if he and his wife had recently lost a child? In those days it would have been easy to explain where another child came from and have no problems with school records and the such. Between the ages of four and five is when a child loses its baby memories and little Marjorie could have easily been raised as someone else's daughter. The memories of Allan and Dorothea, mother and dad, could be explained away as a dream. What if Marjorie West is alive today?
Today, Marjorie would be 67 years of age turning 68 in June. If Thomas, West Virginia was only to be a night’s stop on the way home, where would home be then? Route 219 ends near Bluefield, West Virginia. Route 19 continues south into Virginia and Tennessee. Continuing one more full day on a southwesterly line we come to Kingsport, Morristown, Knoxville and Chattanooga. Finally, on a third day, Alabama, Louisiana and Eastern Texas would all be in reach. The coastal areas were then just coming into their own in the oil business. With war on the horizon the man who took Marjorie West probably never returned to McKean County. He and his wife probably loved and cared for the little blue-eyed red-headed girl who already talked with a slight southern accent.
If that was the case, what would her life have been like?
She would not have immediately forgotten her mother, father, sister or brother. She would have had dreams of home and they have probably persisted all of her life. If she was in the south, she would remember a place with large amounts of snow and it being very cold in the winter.
She could be married today with a family and grandchildren and have no knowledge of what really happened. She probably still has the same dreams of a place in the mountains and snow and a sister and a brother. What if we could find her?
The readership of the The Mountain Laurel Review is wide. We send it across the United States and abroad through subscriptions. Now we are on the World Wide Web at www.mlrmag.com. We need your help to get this story out. We do not believe that Marjorie West met with foul play and died in 1938. We believe she may be still alive. If she is, she deserves to come home and see her sister once more. Help us if you can.
Dorothea has kindly supplied us with pictures of Marjorie at age 4 and of herself at the age Marjorie would be today. The family resemblance is unmistakable. She sent us a picture of her own daughter, Melanie Elizabeth Francis, and says:
"Mother started taking care of Melanie when she was 4 years and 5 months so I could go to work. Mrs. Saxman, who lived next door, and other neighbors told me they got goose bumps seeing Melanie play on Mother's porch and front yard. It was as though Marjorie had come back. Marjorie was 4 years and 11 months when she disappeared."
Baby pictures of Dorothea and Marjorie were mistaken for one another. Today, the sisters would bear a remarkable resemblance to one another. What if Marjorie is still alive? How can we find her? Help us if you would like. Take this story or even the whole magazine. Send it to talk shows. Send it to friends who have connections. The disappearance of Marjorie West is McKean County's own unsolved mystery. What if we can finally find out whatever happened to Marjorie West?
New developments and a possibility was brought to our attention by City of Bradford Chief of Police Richard Cavallero. Several years ago the television series UNSOLVED MYSTERIES ran a story about The Tennessee Children's Home Society in Memphis, Tennessee.
In 1947 the director, Georgia Tann, won national praise for placing over 5,000 small children in loving families so they would not have to languish in an orphanage into their teens and adulthood. Mrs. Tann was distinguished for the placement of children dating back to the early 1930's and was able to find homes for children in nearly every state in the union. Oddly enough, investigators would later discover that very few children were ever adopted in Tennessee even though there were waiting lists every bit as long as the states in which Mrs. Tann did business.
It appeared that small children, usually six years of age or younger, were regularly taken before Judge Camille Kelly of the Memphis Juvenile Court. In each and every case Judge Kelly would award custody to Georgia Tann and the Tennessee Children's Home Society. Once in her custody, Georgia would send out groups of children (quite often to New York or Los Angeles) where they were legally sold to childless couples. In a matter of weeks following the sale of the child, legal adoption papers from Tennessee would be sent on to the new family.
This black market baby ring operated as early as 1932 with children literally being stolen from nearby states bordering Tennessee to as far away as the state of Connecticut. From 1947 until 1951 over 1,200 babies were sent from the Tennessee Children's Home Society to Los Angeles and New York City alone.
Is this what happened to Marjorie West? Was Georgia Tann or one of her agents on a return trip to Memphis from delivering a child or a group of children somewhere in New York or New England and happened on to the young child picking violets on that Mother's Day? If that is what happened the sighting later that night would certainly make sense. If you were going to travel back to Memphis, West Virginia would have been on the route.
We are sending this article along with the pictures we have received from Dorothea to:
Tennessee Right To Know
P.O. Box 34334
Memphis, TN 38134
We send this article along with hope that once and for all we can find out WHATEVER HAPPENED TO MARJORIE WEST?
PUBLISHER'S NOTE: WE RECEIVED NO ANSWER FROM THE Tennessee Right to Know ORGANIZATION.
What do you think? Click here to contact us.
[ Top ] [ Home ]
© Copyright 1998 - Mountain Laurel Review

http://mountainlaurelreview.com/archive/index.html

When questioned about the child's
habits and characteristics, Mrs.
West explained that contrary to
many persons' thoughts of Marjory
being timid and fragile, she has always
been a hardy, spirited youngster
and had been taken to the
woods many times since she was
able to walk.
She hud gone with her father on
fishing excursions in the woods,
and had played around rock piles
and along streams while in his company.
Mrs. West recalled one outing
when the child was but three years
old when she accompanied her parents
from home to Big Rocks in the
hills above High street extension,
Bradford, and walked all the way
there and back refusing to be carried.
Having been accustomed to being
in the forests both in the daytime
and at night, Marjory would not become
frightened as soon as most​
children would, Mrs. West said.

They said that the flowers were found dropped on the road I wonder if she seen other flowers that she thought were a lot prettier and ran accross the road to pick them and then got lost I know it says they search a 15 square mile area but I wonder if that was from a starting point from the picnic area and facing toward the stream or if it included the woods on the other side of the road? If she wandered away in the opposite direction and they were focusing on a different location then she wouldn't have been found.

I guess it's totally possible that they only searched that side of the road; but when reading the story I always got the impression that the car and picnic area (where her mother and the other woman were) were between the road and the big rock, so Marjorie would've had to walk past them to cross the road. Does this sound right or was she actually closer to the road?
If she did in fact cross to the other side, she would've had to go pretty deep into the woods to lose sight of the road and get lost.

From reading the articles above, some thoughts come to my mind:

1. Did they thoroughly search that abandoned oil well...ever?
If they have not, they should. If she's not there, it can be easily ruled out and other theories could have been focused on. I very much so believe she didn't fall in the oil well because when they were searching, wouldn't they have heard her scream for help, even if she was hurt?

2. If Dorthea was as quick as she sounded in the article to give the flowers to her mother, than return to Marjorie, it is doubtful she wandered off. An image of the setting they were at would be able to confirm this, as well as how much time Marjorie was by herself, but also do not think Marjorie wandered off. At the age of four, I think she would've been found if she wandered away.

Her case also reminds me of Connie Smith's. They both vanished from a road side area, were young and from around the same area. There's a time gap though-Connie vanished in the 1950's. Hopefully, their cases won't continue to be lost in the books forever.
3. From what I have read, I am positive Marjorie was abducted for an illegal adoption. Her family might have even been watched and followed before Marjorie went missing. Another option is perhaps someone from the church is responsible. That is a remote location for someone to randomly come by to abduct a child.

Still, these are just theories and opinions from what I have read. It has been so long, but I have seen many cases that are old solved by new technology (like the Boulder Jane Doe case aka Dorothy Gay Howard). If they go back and re-investigate, maybe they can get someting.
Whatever they do, they need to act fast, since so many witnesses/suspects of the time are getting older. I have nothing but hope for Marjorie. Hopefully, someone took her into a loving home and raised her well. Hopefully, she is alive. Still, it can't make up for the grief her family has been through.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back