Found Deceased PA - Nicole Ebaugh, 29, missing from park, Springfield Twp, 6 Mar 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don’t want to give false hope, but we recently had a missing female hiker found after 3 days and two nights. She went to find a waterfall two hours from home. -7° overnights.

She was using the GPS in her phone while hiking, and the battery died. She became lost. Her sister is a politician, so it was a prominent active search.

She was cold, weak and exhausted, but she managed to find a house. And is home safe.

I’m hoping Nicole is found.

This is so scary.

I walk (alone) near the river in my city almost daily but the number of WS threads of women disappearing from trails/parks on their walks lately has been really unsettling.

I am curious about the phone trace referenced above. Did they find her phone in the VW? Is it now turned off?

After following WS threads, I no longer walk my dog, along rivers, quiet beaches and parks: boring around the block for us.
My friends cannot believe my explanations, stating these 'disappearances' will not happen here!!!!

Out in Pa sometimes there is zero cell phone service so you can't use your phone on a hike. Do not know if that is the case here. Does someone local on here know?

I have Verizon service and always use my phone to track my rides. If I recall correctly, service on that trail is excellent. The area is reasonably flat with no mountains to block cell service.

Yeah, this has all the cryptic tell tale signs of self harm, to me. I suspect she did not meet with foul play. But, my best hope is that she changed her mind and is just taking a break. It is very hard to change the mind of a person committed to harming themselves, though. I hope she is found soon so she or her family can get the help they need.

Out in Pa sometimes there is zero cell phone service so you can't use your phone on a hike. Do not know if that is the case here. Does someone local on here know?

I don't know, when I was on this part of the trail, I didn't have a reason to use my cell. I've noticed few places in York county with a lack of cell coverage, but its possible

I'm very curious if she was spotted on the trail, and if she was, was she headed north or south. I believe I read she was from or staying in New Freedom, which is in Pennsylvania close to the Maryland border. If she wanted to disappear she could have just walked to Maryland from New Freedom and used the Maryland trail. If she was in a state of mind that led to self harm, she probably didn't stay ON the trail. The creek it follows is not deep, there are no large bridges on the trail itself. Plus they'd have found her by now if she was close to the trail.

If she was abducted, I would think from the parking lot would be far more likely than on the trail. ALthough there are many access points. And they've said they don't believe anything criminal. If it was some kind of mix of the two, like needing to have a quiet moment in nature and then some kind of criminal thing occurred, that would be far more difficult to know. Still in the realm of possible though, IMO. If she walked north, she could have done the north part of the trail easily in one day(or been anywhere in York city). Likewise, she could have walked south and been in Maryland in one day. So the search really needs to go further into the woods, and further north and south if they haven't found her. Perhaps they've had other police areas quietly looking? Park rangers keeping an eye out?

I hope for her and her family they solve this.

MAR 9, 2021
Desperate search for Pennsylvania woman, 29, who vanished near a hiking trail on Saturday | Daily Mail Online
[...]

Officials combed the half-mile radius around Glatfelter Station on horseback, helicopter, and on foot with the help of some 150 volunteers, some of whom brought dogs, according to WHP-TV.

[...]

‘Obviously there is more in our investigation that we know however because it is an ongoing investigation we can not disclose.

‘We are continuing our investigation and are following the leads that we have developed.’

[...]

‘The Pennsylvania State Police, York criminal investigations unit, continue to work around the clock and are utilizing all resources available to help locate Ebaugh. ... As possible leads develop, future searches will be conducted.’

[...]

40263544-9343723-image-a-51_1615321233173.jpg
40264488-9343723-Some_150_volunteers_have_aided_the_search_The_image_above_shows_-a-6_1615330667093.jpg

*More photos at the link

She might have left her phone if she didnt want to carry it for a run on a flat trail...
I would never leave my phone on a hike -- broken ankle or other sudden disablity, saw someone else in trouble, lost and it's getting dark -- but that's me. We all have our little habits...
Was she under some kind of threat (followed?) before she even got out of her car -- thus no phone -- kidnapped?

I agree. I might walk alone in lots of circumstances but never without a charged, working phone.

But, has been made abundantly clear via how many WS describe their own practices over on the Sarah Everard thread I am following, people’s own practices on walking / phone / etc vary considerably

I hike/walk a LOT and I never go without my phone, even if there are places that cell signal may be weak. However, if it was a case of self harm, then I can see leaving the phone behind in the car. I can also see if it IS foul play, perhaps she was intercepted either right when she gets out of the car and hasn't grabbed her phone yet or right after she puts it in the car but doesn't have a chance to get in herself.

OR she meets up with someone and doesn't want anyone else to track her. Just MOO

The search resumed Wednesday for a 29-year-old woman who went missing over the weekend from a York County park, Pennsylvania State Police said.

Trooper Kevin Kochka said K9s, kayaks and the South Central Pennsylvania Search and Rescue team are searching for Nicole Ebaugh in the area surrounding Heritage Rail Trail County Park at Glatfelters Station Road in Springfield Township.

Search for missing York County woman relaunched with K9s, kayaks, search teams
Glad to see the resumed search news -- looks like they're ready for any type of finding.

We do have habits. My fishing cabin in a populated area within an hour from NYC has no cell service. I have to walk into the woods to use it so I can't rely on it. I know on Rt. 209 in Pa it doesn't work either. And I hike there. Just was hoping there was a reason the phone didn't ping her location. I was so hoping we would hear more. Thinking of her family and friends.

We do have habits. My fishing cabin in a populated area within an hour from NYC has no cell service. I have to walk into the woods to use it so I can't rely on it. I know on Rt. 209 in Pa it doesn't work either. And I hike there. Just was hoping there was a reason the phone didn't ping her location. I was so hoping we would hear more. Thinking of her family and friends.

We have a tendency to think cellular service is much more universal than it is. It's certainly improved in the past decade or so, but there are still places lacking coverage in the Berkshires and Catskills as well. I can only imagine that there are vast swaths of the Adirondacks that are signal-free.

We also had some trouble getting cell service in the Smokies/western NC in late 2019. It's most likely similar in much of the vast rural West.

I may be giving it too much weight, but the police quote that there is “obviously...more information” that isn’t being shared suggests police are leaning toward self-harm/recovery effort. Or they were when she first went missing - I’m glad the kayaks & dogs are involved now. That said, if I fell down a ravine on a lone hike, I’d hope searchers wouldn’t give undue attention to my unhappy texts and call off the search. (I’m thinking of the early days when Mollie Tibbetts was missing, and posters here mused about her psych major & mental health awareness posts on social media.)

I guess I’d be surprised if she intentionally left her phone in the car. Not just for safety, but for (1) a clock, (2) a camera and (3) some hikers use apps for trail maps & fitness. But even if her phone was with the car, it could be she simply forgot it.

I imagine parts of these trails are muddy & slippery right now...

moo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back