PA - Panera sued by parents after daughter Sarah Katz, 21, died of cardiac arrest after drinking Charged Lemonade, 2022 - Philadelphia, 23 Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Starbucks Steps in to Fill Energy Drink Void???

"WASHINGTON — ....Starbucks... launching a new line of "iced energy beverages"...this week.... a month after Panera Bread discontinued its line of "charged lemonade" drinks over lawsuits involving two deaths."

"The beverages, essentially canned energy drinks poured over ice...

"Each drink contains 180 to 205 mg of caffeine. The average person can consume around 300 to 400 mg of caffeine each day without adverse effects.
"The average cup of coffee is around 90 mg of caffeine, and Starbucks says their grande cold brew is around 180 mg (comparable to the venti iced energy drink)....

"Panera's charged lemonade had around 390 mg of caffeine per serving."

Melon Burst Iced Energy & Tropical Citrus Iced Energy - Great, Starbucks is putting "energy" right in the name of the drinks.

I still maintain that the main problem with the Panera beverages was the way they were named. To most people lemonade is lemon juice, sugar and water. Maybe some HFCS or chemical additives since it's a commercial product. But, people aren't expecting it to be a caffeinated drink, no matter what the signage says.

Melon Burst Iced Energy & Tropical Citrus Iced Energy - Great, Starbucks is putting "energy" right in the name of the drinks.

I still maintain that the main problem with the Panera beverages was the way they were named. To most people lemonade is lemon juice, sugar and water. Maybe some HFCS or chemical additives since it's a commercial product. But, people aren't expecting it to be a caffeinated drink, no matter what the signage says.
Absolutely. My favorite drink at Panera used to be Blood Orange Lemonade, which they phased out during the COVID menu drawdown. These energy drinks were released not too long after that, and were first available in the lobby exactly where the previous (non-caffeinated) lemonade was located.

@ch_13 Thx.

Good point about the way Panera named their drinks. Camoflauged.

Last edited:
Starbucks Steps in to Fill Energy Drink Void???

"WASHINGTON — ....Starbucks... launching a new line of "iced energy beverages"...this week.... a month after Panera Bread discontinued its line of "charged lemonade" drinks over lawsuits involving two deaths."

"The beverages, essentially canned energy drinks poured over ice...

"Each drink contains 180 to 205 mg of caffeine. The average person can consume around 300 to 400 mg of caffeine each day without adverse effects.
"The average cup of coffee is around 90 mg of caffeine, and Starbucks says their grande cold brew is around 180 mg (comparable to the venti iced energy drink)....

"Panera's charged lemonade had around 390 mg of caffeine per serving."

ETA: @IceIce9 Counting on you (and/or others) to post reviews for us on this thread if & when you have time for Starbucks visits. TiA

My issue is that these things exist in the first place. I'm all about freedom to choose one's destiny in life, but seems our society complains about the cost of healthcare while simultaneously drinking and promoting 400 mg of caffeine, completely unregulated and with very little education on what that does to the body over time. I wish there was no such thing as the energy drink industry. MOO

My issue is that these things exist in the first place. I'm all about freedom to choose one's destiny in life, but seems our society complains about the cost of healthcare while simultaneously drinking and promoting 400 mg of caffeine, completely unregulated and with very little education on what that does to the body over time. I wish there was no such thing as the energy drink industry. MOO
Can I ask what it does to the body over time? I’m a huge caffeine drinker and I’m not sure I want to know…

Can I ask what it does to the body over time? I’m a huge caffeine drinker and I’m not sure I want to know…

Caffeine is both in foods and drinks and ordinarily, for most people, it isn't a big deal if you stay within normal recommended limits. But these 400-mg energy/caffeine drinks can lead to major health complications, including spikes in blood pressure and blood sugar, heart arrhythmias, palpitations, mental health symptoms, blood sugar fluctuations, headaches and upset stomach. If you have an undiagnosed condition, it can be fatal as we see with cases like this one. Over time, depending on how much damage it does to your body, it may indirectly put you at risk of heart problems, diabetes, ulcers, stroke or vascular issues.

Caffeine is both in foods and drinks and ordinarily, for most people, it isn't a big deal if you stay within normal recommended limits. But these 400-mg energy/caffeine drinks can lead to major health complications, including spikes in blood pressure and blood sugar, heart arrhythmias, palpitations, mental health symptoms, blood sugar fluctuations, headaches and upset stomach. If you have an undiagnosed condition, it can be fatal as we see with cases like this one. Over time, depending on how much damage it does to your body, it may indirectly put you at risk of heart problems, diabetes, ulcers, stroke or vascular issues.
RBBM: IIRC Sarah Katz had been diagnosed with a heart condition which makes this case especially curious (imo).

RBBM: IIRC Sarah Katz had been diagnosed with a heart condition which makes this case especially curious (imo).

But she presumably didn't know this was an energy drink so it's basically the same thing. The point is ignorance of the facts, whether that's in unknown condition or that's in not knowing what you're drinking. MOO

But she presumably didn't know this was an energy drink so it's basically the same thing. The point is ignorance of the facts, whether that's in unknown condition or that's in not knowing what you're drinking. MOO
Ok but my point was underlining what you said specifically about undiagnosed conditions to which I am pointing out that Sarah did in fact have a heart condition and had been diagnosed.

Nothing about ignorance of facts etc. Speaking of, the entire point now seems to be down to who the onus is on, Panera or Sarah Katz. Was Sarah unaware ir did Panera not clearly display the nutrition information? MOO FWIW JMO etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks
Back