Found Deceased PA - Peggy Sue Hogue, 24, North Sewickley Township, 11 June 1983

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

MamaTiger

Reaction score
Sorry if this is not in the correct place. I found this website a month or so ago and was reading up on a couple of cases. I am curious how you go about finding information on a case and what is "known" for that case.
My cousin was murdered in 1983, her killer has never been found. When I search the web, there is very little out there regarding it. If I search her name here, I can see that Pennsylvania crime stoppers had her on their site at one point, but it is no longer there. Just curious, when I read that someone got information from the cops; how do you go about this?
Thanks for any information.

Where did this happen? Just call local law enforcement & ask. You may need to write, explain your relationship. See if you can find the Prosecutor's Office & ask for the Victim Advocate -- that person knows how to get case information from law enforcement in the area & is set up to help you.

Take a trip, visit the library & ask for their newspapers from the time.

Keep in mind that you may not like what you find....

Thanks.
It happened in Ellwood City, PA.
From searching and what I remember (I was 12 at the time): She was sexually assaulted and beaten to death. They found her on a walking path in the woods with her license underneath her (remember from funeral). She was badly beaten, I remember her dad saying that he had to identify her by the tattoo on her arm. I remember him saying that the bald eagle looked like wrecked Harley Davidson. My uncle has since passed and I am not close to her family since after this happened, they kind of stepped away from the family. But, at 12, it made a huge impact on who I am. I often think that the person or persons are still out there.

In my recent search it is really hard to find any information, but I found one person that said they believed there was a suspect, but that he had taken off to Texas. That was the first time I had ever heard that.

I do want to add that if it is an unsolved crime, you may not get information.

Thanks. I am going to have to make it a point to go the Library next time I am at home and try and find the archives.
I saw the Cold Case information on FB yesterday. There is actually a PA Crime Stoppers page as well, but they have removed what they had for some reason.
There is a post here on this site that has their old write up regarding her as well.
So sad to me that there is almost no trace of her case … like she has been forgotten.
Thank you again for looking.

Here is some advice, I work cold cases, for a Sheriff's Dept. I know that when someone calls about a loved one we get on it. We have 23 active cases and we work them all, but some are just cold, we don't have any new leads, but if a family member calls, we dig it out, look it over, and see if there is anything we can do to get it going again. So call. Be nice, but call and let them know someone has not forgotten her.

Sorry if this is not in the correct place. I found this website a month or so ago and was reading up on a couple of cases. I am curious how you go about finding information on a case and what is "known" for that case.
My cousin was murdered in 1983, her killer has never been found. When I search the web, there is very little out there regarding it. If I search her name here, I can see that Pennsylvania crime stoppers had her on their site at one point, but it is no longer there. Just curious, when I read that someone got information from the cops; how do you go about this?
Thanks for any information.

wondering if you ever found out more information? I am going to start researching this case.

After 12 a.m. on the night before Hogue's battered body was found in a ditch, the 24-year-old mother of 2 left her parents' house in the Wiley Park neighborhood and apparently started walking towards downtown. Her mother, Addie Hogue, told the press that "nobody picked her [daughter] up at the house" and she presumed "she was just going out by herself."

Hogue was last seen alive at around 5 a.m., hitchhiking along Lawrence Avenue after leaving the Parkgate Bar in Ellwood City around 30 minutes prior. Her body was found in a ravine by a couple of boys just off of River Road in Perry Township on "the path leading to Mitchell's, a swimming spot on the Connoquenessing Creek."

An autopsy revealed she had what appeared to be choke marks around her neck and determined she died from blunt force trauma to the neck and head.

Sources

"Cops seek help in homicide," Citizens' Voice [Wilkes Barre], 14 June 1999, pg. 20.

"Crime Solvers offering reward for Hogue case," Ellwood City Ledger, 12 November 1984, pg. A14.

"Ellwood City Mother Slain During Walk," Pittsburgh Press, 13 June 1983, pg. A-8.

Eric Poole, "Remembering Richard: 30 years, two homicide victims, one family," Ellwood City Ledger, 27 March 2014, pg. 1, 3. [part 1] [part 2]

"Homicide Suspect Sought," Latrobe Bulletin, 14 June 1999, pg. 8.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876
Back