Identified! PA - Philadelphia - 'Boy in the Box' - 4UMPA - Feb'57 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was there a hospital or other type medical facility on Lansdowne Avenue in 1950?? Maybe somewhere the birth mother could have been a patient?

ETA: Maybe a Salvation Army home or something??

Last edited:
The odd part about any adoption theory is that this dead child wound up geographically fairly close to where his bio parents lived. I would think that had his mother been sent away that the chances of him ending up back in the area would be slim. Police have the birth certificate with both parents name. If he was born in a home for unwed mothers, I would think that the certificate would not have both names. I think we are going to be surprised by this story as it further unfolds. JMHO.

I came here to post this story, but looks like you’ve all seen it already. I wrote it, along with two colleagues, for the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Thank you so much for what you’ve done! Just out of curiosity, has your research given you a good idea of who is responsible for Joseph’s death? I understand if you’re not at liberty to give any info, I’m just curious if those that are close to the case have an idea of what happened.

I came here to post this story, but looks like you’ve all seen it already. I wrote it, along with two colleagues, for the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Great story, well reported. This is why I live in Pittsburgh but subscribe to the Inquirer. Thanks for letting us know you cared enough to post the story here. Let's hope we find out who killed this boy.

Wow, I have not been getting notifications. Is it true both Joseph’s parents have now been named??! I have my reading cut out for me today.
Yeah, I didn't get notifications for this thread moving again either! Those darned gremlins chewing on the Websleuths code again. :D

I also, am reading fast to try to catch up!

I get the impression that both sides of Joseph's family were at the memorial and they felt it was time to get the story out somehow. (That's just my opinion)

Thank you so very much for the well written article.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>
<modsnip>

MOO Although she is a very pretty young lady, many times there are "issues", that come out: like getting pregnant at a young age, and then getting pregnant at age 21. She may have been trying to start a life away from her family and may have kept secrets from them...She may not have wanted them to know she was pregnant because they may have insisted that she go to "a home. give up the baby" etc...If she was living away from home, she could have been living what they would have called a "a double life" back then...MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post removed>

Is it possible for someone to post the original Coroner's report? And is there an 'Updated" report?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy
Back