Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how quickly the The boy in the box can be Identified.I'm begging these people to please help Identify this little boy.They may be his only hope to Identify him.Please help him.I think if enough people ask them to do this test.He will be Identified.I know it.- Amazing, ground-breaking, history-making discovery by the DNA Doe Project. Marcia King now has her name back. Well done!. Buckskin girl Identified.

I pray they can do this test for him.If it's because of his age and a family member could have killed him is the reason they are not doing this DNA match for him.I feel who ever killed him is probably already dead or just about to be.This was a long time ago in 1957.I feel if enough people ask the DNA Doe Project to do this test for him maybe they will.They really may be his only hope to be Identified.I pray they please help him.

I pray they can do this test for him.If it's because of his age and a family member could have killed him is the reason they are not doing this DNA match for him.I feel who ever killed him is probably already dead or just about to be.This was a long time ago in 1957.I feel if enough people ask the DNA Doe Project to do this test for him maybe they will.They really may be his only hope to be Identified.I pray they please help him.

I'm hoping they make an exception too, Ms Suzanne, based on the age of his case as opposed to passing it by because of his age. I agree, chances are, whoever did this to him has passed away. So this isn't about seeking justice, though it would be nice, but giving him back his name.

He is already on their list. DNA Doe Project said they do not take cases of children due to family usually being involved in their death; but that they would consider taking his case because of how old it is.

IMO, people suggesting him on their page could go either way, put him on the hot list (I'm not sure if he's already there) or make them not consider it. So make sure to check if he's on their hot list 1st

I hope and pray people suggesting him would not get them to not consider him.That would be very sad.He please needs to be identified.I hoping and praying people suggesting him would show we care for this little boy very much to have him Identified and he will get his real name back.

Here is their suggestion list. Not seeing where I saw them say they will consider him due to the age of his case but I'm sure they said it.

Has anyone here contacted the VIDOCQ society to ask if they were doing something similar as was mentioned in an article a while ago? I think it would be better if they contacted DDP

DNA Doe Project March 8 ·

EDIT: We are working on a tool that will hopefully enable people to submit cases they care about. �� Once the tool is done, we will announce it on our FB page. In the meanwhile, please hold off on suggestions until the tool is completed. �� (We are waiting on a validation of an application, that will help us take advantage of some resources we need to create the tool.)

As much as we are interested in learning more about the cases that are important to you all, we need the additional time for research at the moment! Thank you so much for understanding and helping us out with this. Here is a running list of suggested candidates for the DNA Doe Project.

• The Boy in the Box (unlikely we can, due to his age)

Some of these are already on our radar. For a few we’re already in contact with the agencies. We take into consideration our potential for success (e.g. whether sufficient DNA has been or can be extracted), potential for crowd-funding (if the agency cannot afford the test), and other factors. We cannot promise that we can take on any particular case. If we do, we make no guarantees that we can solve it.

Please feel free to reply with additional suggestions here, or message us, or email us at admin@dnadoeproject.org. (And if we overlooked an earlier suggestion, please remind us!)

Some of the Does have similar names, so it is always helpful if you can provide a Namus case # / link with more information, as well as place found, date found, etc. Thank you!

Ms. Suzanne...I truly admire your dedication to this case!
I cannot help but to think this poor little boy was from an orphanage or foster home. Maybe the crude haircut was from the boy himself...and as a result, someone went to far! Parents prob have no idea what became of their son.

Thank you.I care for this little boy very much.I know he can be Identified one day.I agree with you.I strongly believe he was from an Orphanage,Foster home,hospital or institution of some kind and I strongly believe his DNA will tell who he is in one of these genealogy data bases with a DNA cousin or relative match
Ms. Suzanne...I truly admire your dedication to this case!
I cannot help but to think this poor little boy was from an orphanage or foster home. Maybe the crude haircut was from the boy himself...and as a result, someone went to far! Parents prob have no idea what became of their son.

The Golden State Serial was just identified through familiar DNA. Although Ancestry.com etc are private companies the information is private.However if you read the policies LE can get a court order to check DNA in criminal cases. Rightfully so in my opinion. With the right attorney or advocate like your kind self Ms. Suzanna you could get a familiar DNA run in the data base. After all a crime was committed.

Maybe Law Enforcement can use website named GEDmatch with the boy in the box's DNA for possible relative matches.My DNA is in Gedmatch.They do have my permission to check my DNA for possible matches.There is no doubt in my mind they WILL find DNA relatives to the boy in the box in GEDmatch and genealogy websites.I know they will.

Maybe Law Enforcement can use website named GEDmatch with the boy in the box's DNA for possible relative matches.My DNA is in Gedmatch.They do have my permission to check my DNA for possible matches.There is no doubt in my mind they WILL find DNA relatives to the boy in the box in GEDmatch and genealogy websites.I know they will.

I sincerely hope they can, this poor little soul has been without a name for far too long.

The Golden State Serial was just identified through familiar DNA. Although Ancestry.com etc are private companies the information is private.However if you read the policies LE can get a court order to check DNA in criminal cases. Rightfully so in my opinion. With the right attorney or advocate like your kind self Ms. Suzanna you could get a familiar DNA run in the data base. After all a crime was committed.

A court order is not needed to upload Boy in the box's DNA to GEDmatch. That's what DNA Doe Project is doing.

Yes they could, they'd need to use a DNA place like DNA Doe Project uses to try to extract DNA from bone or teeth. The DNA will be very degraded so they may only have 5% to work with. I doubt LE would be able to navigate it since it is so degraded. Hopefully DNA Doe Project decided to take his case.

If anyone is in contact with his LE or can contact the VIDOCQ society to ask if they'd email DNA Doe Project, it would help a lot; especially if LE are willing to pay the $2,000 to have his DNA extracted into a genealogy file.

Here is a great article about the Golden State Killer and GEDmatch and why they did not need the court order

GEDmatch, a tiny DNA analysis firm, was key for Golden State Killer case
"No court order was needed to access that site’s large database of genetic blueprints." - By Cyrus Farivar - 4/27/2018, 10:25 AM

---- "Ancestry advocates for its members’ privacy and will not share any information with law enforcement unless compelled to by valid legal process," Melissa Garrett, an Ancestry.com spokeswoman, emailed Ars in a statement, noting that the company had never shared genetic data with law enforcement.

Similarly, Andy Kill, a spokesman for 23andMe, emailed Ars to say that it was the company’s policy to "resist law enforcement inquiries."

"23andMe has never given customer information to law enforcement officials," he wrote. "Our platform is only available to our customers, and does not support the comparison of genetic data processed by any third party to genetic profiles within our database." ---

Sorry forgot the link to an article on Buckskin Girl being identified with degraded DNA. You really have to read the full article to understand how complicated it can be for them; especially if Boy in the box's bones were boiled.

Buck Skin Girl' Case Break Is Success of New DNA Doe Project 04/16/2018 - 1:52pm
by Seth Augenstein

Starting late the night of March 28, Margaret Press and Colleen Fitzpatrick took the highly-degraded incomplete DNA profile, and started combing a public genealogical database. Within a short time, they had a staggering hit: a first cousin once removed.

They found the woman on Ancestry.com. Then they found the corresponding family tree, where they could click around on the grandparents, and the great-grandparents. Then they split up and worked backward, toward descendants.

“By a stroke of luck, I opened the name Marcia,” Press recalls. “And a death field was filled in. It said, ‘Death—Unknown. Missing—Presumed Dead.'”

By 3 a.m. on March 29, they were looking at the Buck Skin Girl’s real name: Marcia L. King. After nearly four decades of searches, interviews, advanced forensics like palynology and stable isotope analysis, and in-depth looks by detectives and experts alike, they had found it.

“You can’t get a more-immediate confirmation in a case like that,” said Press.

“After 37 years, to solve it in four hours—I would say it was not expected,” said Fitzpatrick...

... “The key is work with degraded DNA,” said Fitzpatrick. “This is not just a breakthrough on genealogy at work. We have adapted the existing tools, and we have developed new tools, and to apply the genealogy in a new context.”...

...Using a script developed by Greg Magoon, a senior research engineer at Aerodyne Research, they could take the incomplete profile of the Buck Skin Girl and search among the existing members in this case.

The script essentially pulls out of the degraded sample as much of the typical data found in 23andMe or other services—and then puts that into GEDmatch, said Press. From there, the “template” sample is then run typically through GEDmatch’s proprietary software....

....With such challenging samples, there is a mixed chance of success. Five active cases are under review currently. But several others were “non-starters,” especially because unidentified bones had been boiled to remove soft tissue for analysis. That had degraded the genetic material beyond recognition, even under the DNA Doe Project’s exacting methods...

Sorry forgot the link to an article on Buckskin Girl being identified with degraded DNA. You really have to read the full article to understand how complicated it can be for them; especially if Boy in the box's bones were boiled.

Buck Skin Girl' Case Break Is Success of New DNA Doe Project 04/16/2018 - 1:52pm
by Seth Augenstein

Rose, let me ask you this. Margaret Press stated she found a death field filled in with Unknown, missing person, presumed dead.
Can they search through family trees and find other MP's like that, whose relatives listed them as missing, presumed dead? If they could, they could possibly see who is missing and compare it to reported MP's.

bbm

[FONT=&amp]Over time, fewer and fewer residents — let alone criminal investigators — remember the details of "America's Unknown Child." DNA samples are shoddy. The original investigators are dead and dying off.

[/FONT]
DNA samples

[FONT=&amp]"What's good about the DNA is you can affirm things to it," Kuhlmeier said in 2015. "So, tips come in and if someone said, 'Oh, I think it was my long-lost brother, my long-lost family relative,' we can do DNA [testing] to dismiss those leads and whether or not those leads are viable to run on.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]After the boy's body was exhumed from the city's last potter's field, a burial ground for poor or unknown corpses, but before he was ceremoniously re-interred in Ivy Hill Cemetery, maternal DNA was extracted from his teeth.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The DNA sample was submitted to the University of North Texas and entered in a national familial DNA database. Samples were also added to other local and national databases.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]But even with DNA, problems remain. For example, the large civilian DNA databases, such as Ancestry.com, use a mouth swab type of DNA that the boy could not possibly provide.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]And the sample that investigators did extract might be of dubious quality.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"I think the sample was degraded," Fleisher said. "If you could have seen how the casket was crumbled, the bones were practically dust, not quite, but time was just very cruel at that grave site."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"I don't know how much DNA was collected," he added. "But they can go back and get a mummy."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
The primary suspect

[FONT=&amp]In 2002, an Ohio-based psychiatrist alerted Philadelphia authorities that a patient, Mary (a pseudonym), had claimed for decades that her mother and father bought “America’s Unknown Child” from an underground human-trafficking outpost in Kensington.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]He was to be used as a sex toy, she claimed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real-time/the-boy-in-the-box-1957-DNA-philadelphia.html

Rose, let me ask you this. Margaret Press stated she found a death field filled in with Unknown, missing person, presumed dead.
Can they search through family trees and find other MP's like that, whose relatives listed them as missing, presumed dead? If they could, they could possibly see who is missing and compare it to reported MP's.

I don't have a paid ancestry account so am unsure

Hopefully they kept his teeth to try to get more DNA since his bones were like dust

I don't have a paid ancestry account so am unsure

Hopefully they kept his teeth to try to get more DNA since his bones were like dust

Maybe someone who does can weigh in. I think it may be a possible tool, too.
Too bad about his remains, I hope they kept his teeth, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shachio8485