PA - Rebekah Byler, 23, mother & six months pregnant, murdered, Crawford County, 26 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Several other random thoughts I’ve had about this case…

The children were toddlers, one of the articles verified. It would be interesting to know if they’ve been able to describe anything they heard or saw. Most Amish children don’t have much exposure to spoken English until they are school age. But, if the children can express that they overheard any conversation, it would be interesting to know if the conversation was in English or PA Dutch. That would certainly focus the investigation.

And I was checking out the photos of the house, and it didn’t look like they were selling anything from the home. Where I live, Amish people selling puppies (mostly French bulldogs) have had them stolen by potential buyers—even at gunpoint once. We’ve even had roadside stands robbed for a few dollars. People are crazy, and some think Amish people make easy targets.

Rebekah A. Byler, F/23
Rebekah A. Byler, 23 - PA - Google Search

Crawford County is in North-Western Pennsylvania.

Coroner:
"Details of the autopsy will not be released at this time in order
to maintain the integrity of the active investigation,"

[Previously on WebSleuths]:
[Found Deceased - PA - Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, Bird-in-Hand, Lancaster County, 21 June 2020 *arrest*]

Should an Arrest Warrant be Created:

DA = District Attorney
"English" = Amish label for all-other non-Amish people
F/23 = Female / Age 23
FWIW = For What It's Worth
Gestation = About 40 Weeks from Conception-to-Delivery
i.e. = id est - that-is
IMO = In My Opinion
Jeep™ = A Popular Sport Utility Vehicle
JMO = Just My Opinion
LE = Law Enforcement
MOO = My Own Opinion
OMO = Only My Opinion
PSP = Pennsylvania State Police
R.I.P. = Rest In Peace - Condolences

Our Condolences to the Andrew Byler Family.

Last edited:
The Jeep was seen around 10 am and the call for help came in at 12:30 pm. I wonder if someone alerted the husband to the Jeep in the driveway and he went home to investigate. Do the Amish in that area have house or cell phones?
The Jeep riding up and down the road was weird. Was the person looking for a particular house or possible victim?
I can't recall if the Jeep was spotted up and down the road prior to it being noticed in the driveway or after? Did he/she stopst Rebekah's home because they saw her outside alone (maybe even with the kids)?

1709162712974.jpeg
An investigator told the Times-News that troopers were looking into the whereabouts of Byler and her family 24 hours before her body was discovered or in the recent past.

The body of Rebekah Byler, 23, was found with gunshot wounds inside a house on Fish Flats Road in Sparta Township. Her death is being investigated as a homicide.

Last edited:
“Keep being vigilant this is a criminal homicide investigation, practice safe procedures keep your doors locked report any suspicious behavior, persons, or vehicles whether it was passed or current,” said Trooper Cynthia Schick.

“The national attention is picking up as you said you compared it to the Burham case, so this is obviously impacting more than just the community here within itself and has reached out further so we’re also asking them as well to relay the same message to everyone. We want them to stay vigilant if somebody knows something we want them to call it in,” said Tpr. Schick

Last edited:
I just looked at the area on Google Earth. Always like to do this to get an idea of the area, the houses etc, being particularly interested with it being an Amish area.

No street view of Fish Flats Road so I just picked a nearby road at random, with street view available. I ( or rather the Google Earth camera vehicle) was following a vehicle down the road. Continued to follow hoping to see a typical horse-drawn buggy.

Lo & Behold…..it was a red jeep….( or jeep like vehicle) turning down a road 3.5miles from Fish Flats Road.

I then read further & discovered a red jeep had been seen outside the house where the crime occurred! Quite a Coincidence?!

"Everyone is stunned, this doesn't happen here," Charleen Hajec, a pharmacist who was born and raised in Spartansburg, said. "Everyone is talking, it's scary and frustrating."

"This is a tight-knit community, the outside world doesn't get in," Hajec said. "To have something this tragic... it doesn't happen here."

I’ve asked a mod if I can share this, it feels a bit like sleuthing an innocent member of the public…..however it’s out there for all to see!
Will PM.
There is nothing to suggest this Jeep is the one connected to the case. Please do not post the picture.

Thanks for everyone for giving me the name. I was born and raised in Lancaster County yet last night, it just wouldn’t come to me.

Either way, Linda Stoltzfus was an innocent young woman who would have made a difference in the world. Snuffed out by some random guy out for a joy ride.

I have no idea if this particular case is going to be similar. I just hate that the Amish are ever targeted because they are such peaceful people. I will never forget the Nickel Mine tragedy and how quickly those families expressed forgiveness and love to the killer’s family. It was unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

I pray for this community.

MOO and FME

I wonder if her children witnessed the murder? Either way, so traumatic for the children-even if they did not witness their mom’s murder, I’m guessing that since they were home, they saw her body. Tragic all the way around.

View attachment 486875
An investigator told the Times-News that troopers were looking into the whereabouts of Byler and her family 24 hours before her body was discovered or in the recent past.
BBM This bolded statement is quite curious to me. Why were troopers looking for this family? Where had they been? Were they reported missing prior to the murder? Did someone go to this house thinking it was empty? Did someone they were with follow them home? It feels like this is a crucial part of the case. MOO

Byler's husband was reportedly not home during the time of the murder.

According to WJET, family members say they saw a red jeep in the driveway around 10 a.m. the day Byler was killed, and that the jeep was also seen driving up and down the road.
*was perp waiting for husband to leave?

Autopsy findings are currently being withheld to maintain the integrity of the death investigation of 23-year-old Rebekah A. Byler, Crawford County Coroner Eric Coston told The Meadville Tribune in an interview Wednesday.

Dr. Eric Vey, a forensic pathologist in Erie, conducted the autopsy Tuesday afternoon and evening, which took about 4 1/2 hours to complete, Coston said.

“It’s being treated as a homicide investigation,” Coston said.

Coston and Trooper Cynthia Schick of the state police confirmed that Byler, a member of the Spartansburg area’s Amish community, was pregnant. Coston declined to comment on how far along Byler was in her pregnancy.

However, Coston confirmed tissue, blood and other samples obtained during the autopsy have been sent to an independent laboratory for additional testing.

Schick confirmed with The Meadville Tribune on Wednesday that authorities were called after Byler was found by what police termed as a “family friend” and a “family member.”

Authorities remain interested in the time frame of 8:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Monday as that was when Byler and the two children were at the home alone, Schick said

BBM This bolded statement is quite curious to me. Why were troopers looking for this family? Where had they been? Were they reported missing prior to the murder? Did someone go to this house thinking it was empty? Did someone they were with follow them home? It feels like this is a crucial part of the case. MOO
I don't know of course but perhaps it's just a good starting point, to speak to family members, both living nearby and perhaps elsewhere (and there could possibly be a lot of them),to try to determine if the deceased had mentioned anything significant to them, or if the family had some sort of big disagreement with anyone recently, or if someone could have been overheard talking about money/valuables being in the house, or anything else that might provide a motive or otherwise give them a direction to go in with the investigation. I think they usually do begin an investigation with the people closest to the deceased, then work outward from there. I agree it does seem worded a little strangely though. MOO

Last edited:
<modsnip - quoted post was removed> Didn't an earlier article mention the family moved there last year? If so, I was wondering about previous owners, how the transaction went, was there anything contentious during the purchase, did someone need to sell but resented doing so, inheritances if that's why the land sold, etc. All speculation on my part. MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back