PA - School Covered Up Rapes of Four 1st Graders

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm totally looking for schools that have in-class bathrooms...

just happened a few towns away -

Suspect sought as boy, 6, sexually assaulted in Racine school bathroom
4:35 p.m.
RACINE (AP) - A 6-year-old boy was sexually assaulted by a young man at his school on Tuesday, Racine police and the school district said.

The boy, who had left his classroom to use the bathroom, returned after the incident, reported it to his teacher and was taken to an area hospital, said Sgt. Mike Polzin, public information officer for the Racine Police Department.

Police and school officials are still trying to figure out how the suspect, who did not work at the school, got into the building and the second-floor bathroom where the assault occurred. The building is typically locked, but the suspect could have entered as students arrived for school or strong winds could have blown open the doors, Polzin said.

At least two Red Apple Elementary employees saw the suspect but did not or could not stop him, Polzin said. He described the suspect as a light-skinned black or Hispanic man about 20 year old and 6 feet tall with a medium build and thin, closely shaved goatee.

The only problem I see with teachers having full control of a child's IEP is that some of them tend to disregard a diagnosis, make a diagnosis of their own, say that the child has no real problems, or demand certain medications and they are not medical doctors or physicians who are qualified to recognize mental illness, reactions to certain medications, etc. Sounds like some of these kids should be in some sort of hospital setting where there is a school, psychiatrists, medical doctors, psychologists and they can get some help since since they are children and not adult hardened criminals to criticize and demean. I'm not necessarily talking about 12-13 year old boys who rape though, just ones who act horribly and are out of control. Since parents are legally bound to send a child to school or go to jail and most have to work, I think teachers should be prepared to put up with this or get into another line of work unless they can all band together and assert themselves to demand some changes.

Ang50 said:
I'm totally looking for schools that have in-class bathrooms...

just happened a few towns away -

Suspect sought as boy, 6, sexually assaulted in Racine school bathroom
4:35 p.m.
RACINE (AP) - A 6-year-old boy was sexually assaulted by a young man at his school on Tuesday, Racine police and the school district said.

The boy, who had left his classroom to use the bathroom, returned after the incident, reported it to his teacher and was taken to an area hospital, said Sgt. Mike Polzin, public information officer for the Racine Police Department.

Police and school officials are still trying to figure out how the suspect, who did not work at the school, got into the building and the second-floor bathroom where the assault occurred. The building is typically locked, but the suspect could have entered as students arrived for school or strong winds could have blown open the doors, Polzin said.

At least two Red Apple Elementary employees saw the suspect but did not or could not stop him, Polzin said. He described the suspect as a light-skinned black or Hispanic man about 20 year old and 6 feet tall with a medium build and thin, closely shaved goatee.

I guess we can say though that at least the school called the police and sent the child to the hospital! Instead of invoking their constitutional rights, ignoring the child and sending him back to class :furious: .

TXVicki- I did not mean that a child's current teacher should have full control of an IEP just be able to attend and have some input. Wouldn't teachers have a better knowledge of a child's individual problems, plans, goals and accommodations/modifications if they attended the meetings? In my experience a lot of teachers can bring great things to a meeting because they work with the child in a class setting and also know if the child's current IEP or BIP is working or not. I am a huge supporter of If it is not working than we need to try something else. What is the point of continuing to do something if it is clearly not working or making the problem worse for a child? Yes there are teachers that are frustrated or don't really care because it is just a paycheck but that is going to be in any profession and not the norm for teaching. There are some teachers that are not educated about disorders or disabilities but having them at IEP meeting where a parent/doctor/professional could share information about the child and include them in on making an educational plan can only help those teachers understand. Most teachers DO want the best for the kids though and would advocate for their educational needs if given a chance :) .

txsvicki said:
The only problem I see with teachers having full control of a child's IEP is that some of them tend to disregard a diagnosis, make a diagnosis of their own, say that the child has no real problems, or demand certain medications and they are not medical doctors or physicians who are qualified to recognize mental illness, reactions to certain medications, etc. Sounds like some of these kids should be in some sort of hospital setting where there is a school, psychiatrists, medical doctors, psychologists and they can get some help since since they are children and not adult hardened criminals to criticize and demean. I'm not necessarily talking about 12-13 year old boys who rape though, just ones who act horribly and are out of control. Since parents are legally bound to send a child to school or go to jail and most have to work, I think teachers should be prepared to put up with this or get into another line of work unless they can all band together and assert themselves to demand some changes.

I don't think any teacher should have control over an IEP( an IEP is nothing I would want to have control of), but at our school, for example, we work with kids who barely know their case managers and IEP teams. They are sent to our school but their home school is elsewhere. Just this year we finally now have one guy on staff who works with the IEPs to some degree, but the rest of us do not have anything to do with them really. We are with the kids all day.

Lately I've been thinking about another line of work. The police just left our building after the second physical fight of the week. Maybe I'm just not prepared to put up with it anymore.

Eve

At my kids' school, the classroom teacher is part of the IEP team. In my children's cases (learning disabilities, not BD), the classroom teacher is often not the best informed member of the team. The resource teacher or social worker have been their most powerful advocates.

One of my children has been very unlucky with classroom teachers, and I shudder to think what would have happened to his IEP if it was under her sole control.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak
Back