Found Deceased PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 *Evelyn Colon* *Arrest* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Richard

Reaction score
UNIDENTIFIED GIRL found 20 December 1976 WHITE HAVEN, PA

DOB: Jan 1, 1954 - 1960 (aproximate)
Found: Dec 20, 1976
Age when found: Aproximately 16-22
Age Now: 44-50
Sex: Female
Race: White
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5'4" (163 cm)
Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)
Found: WHITE HAVEN, PA, United States

On December 20, 1976, the remains of this white female were found along the Lehigh River in Carbon County, Pennsylvania, under a bridge of westbound Interstate Route 80. It was determined that she had been dead less than 24 hours from the date she was found. Her year of birth was estimated between 1954-1960. She was carrying a full-term White female fetus. She had a small circular mole above her left eye, a mole on her cheek and a 5.5" scar on her left leg, just above the heel. Both photographs are computer-assisted facial reconstruction done by a forensic artist at the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. Facial features such as the nose and the hair style are an artist's estimation to complete the image. The "DOB" and "Age Now" fields are approximations.

ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST) or contact NCMEC Cold Case Review Unit at 1-877-446-2632, ext. 6235 or 6295

Pennsylvania State Police - 1-570-459-3890

Link
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...aseNum=400049&orgPrefix=NCMU&searchLang=en_US

_______

Thread 1

Thread #2 - PA - PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #2

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw on the Carbon County PA Beth Doe Facebook page that a lady has been looking for her foster sister since 1976 and thinks that Beth Doe could be her. This is from the FB Post:
Regarding Madelyn (Maggie) Cruz. This is what I've been able to glean from posts here, the Missing and Homeless FB page and the Never Forget Me FB page. I hope Jane Foust will feel free to jump in and correct, clarify or add any other memories she may have.

Maggie was from Trenton, NJ and was a ward of the state.
Her mother was a prostitute and Maggie had several siblings.
Father unknown....
Of Puerto Rican descent.
Possibly had a silver tooth.

NJ state sent Maggie to Rockwood Academy in Lenox, MA (school year 72-73?)
This is where Maggie and Jane met.
Maggie placed with Jane's family in Framingham, MA (73-74?) for a few months.
I'm just not clear on the years - different fb pages have different years. Understandable. It was a long time ago.

Maggie and foster sister (Jane?) run away to NY in 74-75. Missing persons report filed in Framingham, MA and state of NJ.
Foster sister returns home after a week. Maggie stayed in NY.
Jane doesn't hear from Maggie again until mid-1976 (June) when Maggie was asking for money, said she was pregnant and scared.

67718992_1085589354972344_8710680966097534976_n.jpg

I suppose it isn't an uncommon name she has but the year of the license jumped out. Do we have any kind of DOB for Madelyn? An estimated year?
There is a Gilbert from the Bronx that would have been about 18 in 1976 and who passed away in 1987.
That's roughly her age I'd assume.

Attachments

• Madelyn Cruz.png
    Madelyn Cruz.png
    239 KB · Views: 73
I suppose it isn't an uncommon name she has but the year of the license jumped out. Do we have any kind of DOB for Madelyn? An estimated year?
There is a Gilbert from the Bronx that would have been about 18 in 1976 and who passed away in 1987.
That's roughly her age I'd assume.
BBM

No exact DOB for Madelyn. Her foster sister was born in 6/58 and says Maggie is a few months to a year younger. So ballpark guess is late 1958 to June 1959 which would make her 17-18 in 1976.

There is a person on Ancestry:
Madelyn Narváez Cruz
1959–2001
BIRTH 4 OCT 1959
DEATH 3 MARCH 2001

She had 15 brothers and sisters. Most of the info on the family has them in Puerto Rico but one of the brothers passed away in Boston. It doesn't list any known children or marriages.

There is a person on Ancestry:
Madelyn Narváez Cruz
1959–2001
BIRTH 4 OCT 1959
DEATH 3 MARCH 2001

She had 15 brothers and sisters. Most of the info on the family has them in Puerto Rico but one of the brothers passed away in Boston. It doesn't list any known children or marriages.

And no mention of New Jersey which is where Maggie was a ward of the state.

Madelyn Cruz really is a very common name.

Hi everyone,
If you are interested there is a new youtube true crime video that I was interviewed for. I don't know what the rules are about links so I won't post. The interviewers name is Claudia Rivero. She also talks to Jane who believes that Beth Doe may be her foster sister.

Hi everyone,
If you are interested there is a new youtube true crime video that I was interviewed for. I don't know what the rules are about links so I won't post. The interviewers name is Claudia Rivero. She also talks to Jane who believes that Beth Doe may be her foster sister.

Thank you. I think it's ok to share the link.

here is the link to the true crime video on Beth Doe by Claudia Rivero

I think it's a great piece of work. I advise everybody to take a look. I really hope the new lead (Maggy) is taking this case further. Although I have my doubts....possible mid-European background and Porto Rican ancestry. Maybe everything was mixed in. Poor girl.....strangled, dismembered, raped and shot, a girl with a full term baby.....What kind of animal is capable of doing that....?

Last edited:
I think it's a great piece of work. I advise everybody to take a look. I really hope the new lead (Maggy) is taking this case further. Although I have my doubts....possible mid-European background and Porto Rican ancestry. Maybe everything was mixed in. Poor girl.....strangled, dismembered, raped and shot, a girl with a full term baby.....What kind of animal is capable of doing that....?
Very good video, definitely one of the better ones, i liked how they jumped right into the case!

Thank you for the link....
I always thought her murder was personal and not random.
However, I did not know she was raped as well.
Sad to see her and baby girls marker :(

Thank you for the link....
I always thought her murder was personal and not random.
However, I did not know she was raped as well.
Sad to see her and baby girls marker :(

A few sources (Wikipedia/Doe Network, if I recall correctly) have said in the past that she was "sexually assaulted", but I didn't know what to make of that since none of other media coverage of Beth's case ever mentioned a sexual aspect of her murder.

The new information given by LE in the interview with Claudia Rivero (specifically, the fact that the autopsy revealed genital trauma) makes me think she was conventionally raped. However, there's no mention of semen or anything else that would corroborate that. She could have also been violated with some sort of object.

I have to say, this is one of the most heinous UID cases I have ever heard. The murder, dismemberment, and mutilation were bad enough, and now, we have rape. Before and after death, this girl went through so much.

Every UID deserves a name, but I have to say that out of all of the cases I'm currently following, I am most eager to find out Beth Doe's true identity. I also believe that once we find out who she is, finding out who her killer is will be fairly straightforward, because in my opinion, it's highly likely that there's a very obvious connection between the two.

Guys! This is HUGE!!!!
NCMEC announced today that the Pennsylvania State Police think she might be a girl named Madelyn "Maggie" Cruz who ran away from her foster family to New York. She reportedly called a friend in 1976 saying she was pregnant and needing money. She doesn't look exactly like the rendering and there's no reference to her being a European immigrant, but if they're making this announcement, they must have a good feeling.

Maggie currently isn't listed in NamUs, NCMEC or the Charley Project.

So Awesome, fingers crossed- thanks for the update!

State Police Hope New Lead Will Crack Cold Case
The tip caller told investigators she went to high school with Cruz in Massachusetts, but she hasn’t seen or heard from her since the summer of 1976. The woman says Cruz told her then, that she was pregnant, scared and needed money.

State police are still holding out hope that someone will recognize either the photos, suitcases or blankets that were found in this area more than 40 years ago.

“You never know. Someone somewhere might be thinking well I haven’t seen this classmate in 50 years, and I’d like to know where they are. Then they see a photo or a sketch of them and they think well that looks like them,” said Lou Kistler, White Haven.

State police believe “Beth Doe” was originally from western or central Europe before coming to the United State where they believe she may have lived in the southeast.

If you have information about “Beth Doe” or Madelyn Cruz. Contact Trooper Brian Noll at 570-220-8475."

Guys! This is HUGE!!!!
NCMEC announced today that the Pennsylvania State Police think she might be a girl named Madelyn "Maggie" Cruz who ran away from her foster family to New York. She reportedly called a friend in 1976 saying she was pregnant and needing money. She doesn't look exactly like the rendering and there's no reference to her being a European immigrant, but if they're making this announcement, they must have a good feeling.

Maggie currently isn't listed in NamUs, NCMEC or the Charley Project.

Scroll back up on this page. Maggie has been discussed here.

Rape makes sense to me. I don't think the father of the unborn child had anything to do with it. That is placing far too much weight in one possibility. There's always a danger in quickly flocking to the obvious answer without stepping back and evaluating where it would rate on a probability scale. In cases like this, even though the father might be a plurality favorite over any other single human being, there is no chance he reaches 50% likelihood or even a fifth of that.

An unwanted pregnancy of a girl from that age bracket in that time frame left room for so many desperate choices, bad choices. It was so easy for the father to walk away without concern he'd ever be linked or liable.

Normally I don't like to share confidence in one outcome above all. But I think there is an exceptionally good chance that Maggie Cruz is Beth Doe. The logical timeline seems to match up perfectly. If she calls her old foster sister in June announcing pregnancy and sounding scared while needing money, that is good chance early stages of pregnancy but already carrying a realization the father is either long gone or recently dismissive of her. That leaves 6 long months until December when the body is found. She is increasingly vulnerable in those final weeks and days before due date. Very easy to lose radar, lower standards, and latch onto someone who appears to be just who you need..until he's not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back