Parents Lose Custody Of 7 Children Because They're Too Fat

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I really hope there is more to this. Heavy people can care for children for God's sake. There has got to be more.

I have to say - it might have more to do with the 13 year old weighing 224 pounds.

I know weight is an issue across America, but I, personally, think it is irresponsible for parents to overfeed their children. My sweet gd did not walk until she was 16 months old because she was too heavy and it was hard for her to move. As hard as I tried, in many different ways, we did not get some of the weight off of her until my son got the majority of custody when she was about 2. And then it took 2 years to get her to a healthy weight. You can't put a young child on a diet, in my opinion and you can not just take away all high calorie foods. Young children need fat, carbs, protein to grow. One of the first things we did though was cut out ALL fast food from her diet.

Anyway - if all the children are overweight, then I think these parents could benefit from some healthy cooking and nutrition classes. They should be given the chance to modify how they feed the children (if that is the issue) so that the children will at least be healthy.

JMO,

Salem

I forgot to add that last night I watched a recent Dr. Phil I had recorded on DVR about childhood obesity. One child they mentioned in the beginning was over 500 pounds as a 14-year-old. There definitely needs to be an intervention, which there was. I think it's good that they now include comments on weight on report cards. I think it would make some parents think more. I wish they had yearly classes on nutrition including some food preparation for children.

I agree Miss_Scarlett. I also would just like to point out that overweight children are cruelly teased about their weight in school. So the problem of being overweight is not just physical, but emotional as well. It makes it very difficult for them to get along with others outside the home, imo.

Salem

I went back to re-read the article and saw this (which I didn't catch the first time): "Three of the children in care are now attending an obesity clinic. The eldest child asked the authorities himself to be taken away from his parents.
Dundee city council does not comment on individual cases but a spokesperson said: "Children would not be removed from a family environment just because of a weight issue."

It seems to me that there's more going on in that home than being overweight. Still wish we had more information.

There maybe more going on in or the 12 yr old could feel if he didnt lve with fat parents he wouldnt be fat and moving apart from them would solve his problems.He might be right but maybe not.
http://www.genomica.net/MALATTIE/diabete/DNA_com%20-%20Genetics%20of%20Obesity.htmA few genes have variants that are powerful enough to cause obesity all by themselves. For example, rare variants of the POMC gene on chromosome 2 and the PC1 gene on chromosome 5 cause obesity, among other problems. In two families, a variant of the leptin gene (chromosome 7 ) specifies a protein that has no action. These people have increased appetite and obesity.

Variants of the MC4R gene on chromosome 18 are more common. Inheriting one copy of certain variants causes obesity in some families. These variants are found in 3% to 5% of very obese persons (BMI over 40). Not all persons with uncommon variants of MC4R are obese, however.

Finally, obesity is a feature of more than 30 genetic disorders [ ]. Most of these disorders are rare, and their genes have not been found.

Common gene variants that have a weaker influence

Researchers are still looking for the gene variants that cause most cases of obesity. Their most promising leads are regions on chromosomes 20 , 11 , 10 , 5 , and 2 . ''

I was also looking for the research paper I had read about Chromosones curving after damage which lead to obesity.
I think the removal of their children is a bit extreme. I know plenty of obese people who eat better then I. They are more active then I. I eat junk ,I never workout walk anywhere,I would die if My husband really makes me go on that bike ride he is forever talking about. I hate fruit juice even ones laced with acohol. I have been this way my whole adult life and I have never been over 130 pounds. It cannot be for all people who are bigger then the charts say they are supposed to be their eating habbits alone.

And how do they know how many people have a disposition to being overweight to genes without testing all of our genes? And why if they care are they letting the food companies fluff the cal. count with corn syrup?

I have to say - it might have more to do with the 13 year old weighing 224 pounds.

I know weight is an issue across America, but I, personally, think it is irresponsible for parents to overfeed their children. My sweet gd did not walk until she was 16 months old because she was too heavy and it was hard for her to move. As hard as I tried, in many different ways, we did not get some of the weight off of her until my son got the majority of custody when she was about 2. And then it took 2 years to get her to a healthy weight. You can't put a young child on a diet, in my opinion and you can not just take away all high calorie foods. Young children need fat, carbs, protein to grow. One of the first things we did though was cut out ALL fast food from her diet.

Anyway - if all the children are overweight, then I think these parents could benefit from some healthy cooking and nutrition classes. They should be given the chance to modify how they feed the children (if that is the issue) so that the children will at least be healthy.

JMO,

Salem

My bold :)
I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet . . . there was a five year old a few years ago named Jessica who weighed over 400 pounds. I remember a documentary type clip from YouTube (before I had cable) where the child was eating a meal. She was shoveling food into her mouth and grunting and growling at her mother, who held her cup of milk or juice to her mouth when she wanted a drink. Her mother was perched on the edge of her chair ready to shove that cup in her daughter's face when she started grunting and demanding a "drink". It reminded me of an irascible surgeon demanding his tools during an intense surgery. Everything is focused on the surgeon (the child eating, in this case). It was bizarre and twisted and truly in the realm of ILLNESS how this mother catered to her child.

When the parents over feed a child, that is a very different issue than "food choices" and poverty's impact on whether or not you can provide fresh foods daily.

It takes and ENORMOUS amount of food to make a growing child fat (aside from metabolic disorders, that are pretty rare). Whoever is providing that food is responsible for the health of the child, until say, they are early teens and capable of making mature decisions for themselves.

We'd take kids away from parents who allowed their child to drink alcohol or use drugs. Can we equate overfeeding with these sorts of things? Aside from societies emotional reactions and preferences, even the law, I don't see much difference. Providing too much food, allowing your dependent child to grow enormously fat, is not that much different than allowing them to drink beer or smoke a little weed.

Just thinking between cups of joe this am . . .

Adding to my other comments, children who are impoverished often stay inside watching tv/video games and snacking because they don't have a yard to play in or do not live in safe neighborhoods with someone to watch them outside. It just all adds up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back