Peanut ban in school?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My daughter's preschool was nut-free. Although they keep an epi-pen on site and all the teachers know the precautions. It is ultimately the responsiblity of all the parents and parent volunteers to make sure their children have washed their hands and mouths if they have peanut butter or a peanut product (more likely a breakfast bar) for breakfast before coming to school and not to bring snacks with peanut products in them. The child who had a special diet still brought his own snacks. We were also provided with a list of suggestions for good snacks. It really is a simple policy that works. If someone forgot and accidentally brought the wrong snack or clothes with peanut butter on them, I'm sure they wouldn't have allowed it, and I know the school had stored back-up snacks. Yes all the teachers did enforce the policy, it wasn't a problem.

It sounds like your school made a good effort, and it sounds like it's working, however, I still believe that people who think this is the answer is kidding themselves. There's no way you can be completely sure that a child isn't bringing in peanut traces. You can wash their hands, but if there is something on the clothing, I can't believe you'd know that. What if little Suzie had a PB sandwich over the weekend and stuffed her little hand into her pockets, and the transfer happened. And then that jacket is on little Suzie when she comes to school on Monday. How would you know? You wouldn't.

My point is that people who have kids with this allergy issue have said that even a speck could kill their child. There's just no way, unless you're in a sterile enviroment, that you can control this and keep them completely safe.

I think taking precautions is a good thing, but it certainly isn't the solution. There are just too many other ways for these kids to come in contact with this particular item that IMO, requires banning from one area.

What about churches? Sunday schools? Grocery stores? Doc's offices? These products are used in so many way and in so many places, and by so many people. You just can't eliminate the threat without completely eliminating the entire product (and that probably won't happen). And if I were a parent of a child that is that highly allergic to something, I wouldn't be sleeping any easier knowing that it's banned from the school...since there are so many ways for it to enter the environment.

And what happens at your school when a cookie does slip in? Or a peanut buttery hand is missed? And then something happens to a child. Are you legally responsible because you missed cleaning this kid or finding the cookie? I wouldn't want that responsibility.

If it were as simple as banning peanut butter from schools...then I think that would be fine.

But it's not.

Peanut butter or forms of peanut butter is in all sorts of things (someone posted a list). What about transfers? The kid who had peanut butter for breakfast and wipes his face, and then transfers it to the drinking fountain? Or the handrail? Or the book in the library? If it's that toxic, then there are going to be many other ways for this product to enter the area where your child will be.

If it were as simple as banning the product and that would end all the problems, then I would say do it. But it's not that simple. There are just too many other ways this product can enter the environment of a child. It's like sticking a piece of gum in the hole in the concrete. It may stop the leaking for a moment, but it certainly isn't a long-term solution.

I have a daughter who has asthma, so I am aware of life-threatening issues. I remember for pet-day in grade school, I had to keep her home from school. She couldn't deal with all the different types of animals. It was a pain, but what were we to do? Tell them they can't have it because it might kill my kid?

I know that this was a one-time thing, and you deal with this daily, but there are just so many ways peanuts can make their way into an environment, that banning peanut butter is IMO, only going to give you guys a false sense of security. What about the kids who hide their PB cookie and bring it to school? Or sandwich? Or all the other products that have peanuts in them, and the list is long...many things I had no clue.

And who is going to police this? The teachers? Right. Like they don't have enough on their plates as it is...now they have to spend time inspecting each food product brought into the school. And what teacher is going to want to be responsible for this? If we aren't careful, there's not going to be anyone who wants to deal with all this and we're not going to have teachers. So then what?

It's terrible your child has this problem, and it's scary to think that they could die, but I just don't see where banning is going to matter, if you look at the big picture when it comes to how it can be introduced into a specific area.

And what about the kid who is allergic to bees? Are all field trips outside and all outdoor gym classes cancelled because this particular child could die from a bee sting?

Like I said, I have a kid who has asthma. And I know that we could be in the hospital at any given moment, or even worse. But we have to modify her enviroment, we don't ask others to modify theirs.

No one thinks this will eliminate all allergic reactions, luv. The thought is that the classroom and cafeteria will become as safe as possible by eliminating the deliberate introduction of the allergin into the environment.

My son has asthma too. He attended public school for just a couple of years, and was assigned to a decrepit old school that was full of mold and mildew. He began having an attack every day at school. So we told the school they could take steps to clean the environment, or they could work with me to get my child assigned to a newer school. They chose to work with me. I just couldn't see going to the hospital weekly for a couple of years!

Because the government requires children to be educated, they've become responsible for providing a safe atmosphere for that to take place, for every child.

I don't even think it's out of the realm of government to legislate this type of thing, because government is already legislating safety on many levels.

I do. Unless the government is willing to ban all peanut production and therefore ending all the avenues into which this can reach those children with allergies, then I personally think there is going to be no resolution to this issue.

If it were as simple as banning peanut butter and peanut butter products in the schools, then I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't support this, but there are so many other ways that this product can enter the environment of the child who has allergies.

And why stop at the schools? What about every other aspect of their lives? All the other places they go, from church to amusement parks? It's like putting your finger in the leak, and thinking that's going to stop the water from flowing out. It's not...peanuts and the other peanut products are everywhere.

What if the kid who sat in the chair at the movie theater had peanuts at the showing before you?

It's just such a big issue...not just an issue that involves schools. So why only target the schools? You kid could get just as sick at many other places.

But I will say...we are able to deal with the asthma, and I honestly could not imagine dealing with something like this.

Maybe banning peanut farming altogether is the answer. If this allergy issue is this large, and it is continuing to grow, then it does need to be addressed. I just think we're putting a lot on an already overtaxed teacher.

And I certainly would want to play "Spin the Wheel" when it comes to wondering who and who won't sue me. I'd say the vast majority of people would...and if I were a teacher, I'd want no part of dealing with this since the variables are just to vast when it comes to how and where this product could enter the environment of a child. What if little Johnny comes in contact with peanut butter in the van (while being car-pooled). He's then dropped off and goes into shock. The teacher's deal with it...but who is liable for this? And I guarantee you...this is what it will come down to...liability. And I'd want no part if it.

NBecause the government requires children to be educated, they've become responsible for providing a safe atmosphere for that to take place, for every child.

They can try and make it safe. But there's no way they can completely guarantee a peanut free envoriment unless there are no peanut products produced. It's that simple.

And all children are guaranteed and be educated, however, at what expense?

Let me tell you this story...

When my daughter was in grade school, she had a good friend who was autistic. The mother wanted the girl in the public schools, and so it was to be. However, this little girl was not able to stay on task for more than a minute or two. So during K & 1st grade, my daughter was "assigned" to be her buddy. Bascially, she was to keep the little girl distracted so the teacher could teach. I didn't find out about this until 1st grade and I was shocked.

I understand why the teacher did what she did, but we didn't agree with it (and put an end to it once we found out what was going on) She couldn't possibly teach the class and so basically, my daughter was sacraficed for part of the day. Our district maintained that a para was to be present during the class time, but that didn't happen. I believe there were two para's in the building, and there were a dozen or so kids with issues similar to the one I described. There's no way 2 people could handle this.

So where to we draw the line?

My kid could die from animal fur. Do we screen kids in her shcool for what pets they have? What about the kids with other food allergies? Should we ban strawberries...my neighbors kids were deathly allergic to those. And what about dairy products? And the list goes on and on.

And who is going to be in charge of making sure all this happens? The treachers? They have enough to do.

As a parent with a child who has a life-threatening issue, we deal with that issue. We don't ask others, including the schools, to modify what they do. We do the modifying. And it's just not with pets. My daughter had problems with gym class, but never did the entire class have to change what they were doing for her.

If banning peanut products would be the end of your issues, I can't imagine that anyone would disagree (who wants to see any child in danger, I don't), but it's not that simple. There's just too many ways a product like that can enter a specific environment, and to think the only avenue is in a school lunch, or on their hands, is, IMO, not looking at the big picture.

I found an open bag of peanuts in my purse (not long ago). I'd been on a flight and forgot that I stuffed them in there. You know how many times a week I go in and out of schools (when my kids were little)? A lot. So there's another way your kid could have been exposed.

I do have nothing but sympathy for anyone dealing with something like this. We all want our kids to have normal lives, and do all the things the other kids do, but sometimes, it's not possible.

I will say I had no clue that this peanut allergy thing was rising yearly. Maybe it's time to take a look at peanut production. And why so many kids are developing these deadly allergies.

Autumn, what foods cause inflammation? I am curious. Also, your comment "in a nutshell" made me laugh.

The pun was intended :innocent:

Seriously though, these foods trigger inflammation in the body
-corn oil, safflower oil, and other vegetable oils
transfats and hydrogenated oils

(alternative is coconut oil or olive oil, coconut oil is for deep frying since it has a higher smoke threshold, olive oil is more for sauteing)

- refined carbohydrates sugar and white flour

( alternative is honey, pure maple syrup, and there are a multitude of alternative flours at your health food store that can be used in combination with xantham gum to replace these)

-Meat, poultry, eggs and shellfish contain arachidonic acid which increases inflammation. Lower levels of this acid are found in fish, white meat chicken, and nonfat dairy products.

- Nightshades. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and paprika they contain solanine which causes inflammation and also these vegetables need calcium to break down in your body if you do not eat the proper amount of calcium to break them down it takes it from your bones. Im a vegetarian so I avoid these since Im limited on calcium anyways.

Foods to decrease inflammation-
1.olive oil
2.omega 3 foods and supplements
3.salmon (avoid farm raised salmon as it is higher in arachidonic acid)
4.walnuts (even though they are a high allergy food reduce inflammation, if you have nut allergies in your family avoid this and during pregnancy and breastfeeding, not recommended to at least the age of 4 to limit tree nut allergies)
5.onions are good as they are high in quercetin which inhibits enzyme to block inflammation
6.blueberries as they are loaded with anthocyanins, other good sources are blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and cranberries.
7.sweet potatoes boost immunity and are loaded with anthocyanins
8.spinach carotenoids keep inflammation at bay
9.garlic is rich in sulfur which stimulate your t helper cells which manage the immune system
10.Pineapple contains bromelain in the stem, since most people do not eat the stem you can also find bromelain in supplements.
11.Ginger inhibits cox-2 enzymes
12.turmeric contains curcumin it also works as a cox-2 inhibitor

-

I never heard of this until my youngest one started Kindergarten. They segregate the peanut allergy kids to one classroom . Teacher just said send a few dollars a week for snacks and had her own tupperware filled with a variety of different things. Kids loved it (so did I)

Every year the same kids ended up in the same class.That was the biggest -

They have a table in the lunchroom for peanut butter and jelly kids. Keeps the residue in one spot.

I will never forget the first time I looked at the wall in the kindergarten class. These 4 kids looked like a wanted poster. I don't think it's a problem when they get older. They do carry an epi pen and know what they can eat. We had a slumber party last year and invited all the girls , do you know that was the first time that child had an ivitation to a sleepover?
She showed up with her gear and a big bag of Dorito's . Good for her . It is a life skill for her. She had a blast too.

I never heard of this until my youngest one started Kindergarten. They segregate the peanut allergy kids to one classroom . Teacher just said send a few dollars a week for snacks and had her own tupperware filled with a variety of different things. Kids loved it (so did I)

Every year the same kids ended up in the same class.That was the biggest -

They have a table in the lunchroom for peanut butter and jelly kids. Keeps the residue in one spot.

I will never forget the first time I looked at the wall in the kindergarten class. These 4 kids looked like a wanted poster. I don't think it's a problem when they get older. They do carry an epi pen and know what they can eat. We had a slumber party last year and invited all the girls , do you know that was the first time that child had an ivitation to a sleepover?
She showed up with her gear and a big bag of Dorito's . Good for her . It is a life skill for her. She had a blast too.

Fortunately I think most schools and families handle this in a caring manner, like your school.

My oldest daughter went to school with a boy that had the severe peanut allergy from 6th thru 12th grade.

I don't know if people outgrow it or not and I wonder how many in the past (before everyone knew about this the way we do now) just swelled up and suffocated, for no apparent reason at all.

I do. Unless the government is willing to ban all peanut production and therefore ending all the avenues into which this can reach those children with allergies, then I personally think there is going to be no resolution to this issue.
If it were as simple as banning peanut butter and peanut butter products in the schools, then I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't support this, but there are so many other ways that this product can enter the environment of the child who has allergies.

And why stop at the schools? What about every other aspect of their lives? All the other places they go, from church to amusement parks? It's like putting your finger in the leak, and thinking that's going to stop the water from flowing out. It's not...peanuts and the other peanut products are everywhere.

What if the kid who sat in the chair at the movie theater had peanuts at the showing before you?

It's just such a big issue...not just an issue that involves schools. So why only target the schools? You kid could get just as sick at many other places.

But I will say...we are able to deal with the asthma, and I honestly could not imagine dealing with something like this.

Maybe banning peanut farming altogether is the answer. If this allergy issue is this large, and it is continuing to grow, then it does need to be addressed. I just think we're putting a lot on an already overtaxed teacher.

And I certainly would want to play "Spin the Wheel" when it comes to wondering who and who won't sue me. I'd say the vast majority of people would...and if I were a teacher, I'd want no part of dealing with this since the variables are just to vast when it comes to how and where this product could enter the environment of a child. What if little Johnny comes in contact with peanut butter in the van (while being car-pooled). He's then dropped off and goes into shock. The teacher's deal with it...but who is liable for this? And I guarantee you...this is what it will come down to...liability. And I'd want no part if it.

Luv,

Thank you for your posts, you have made so many good points with which I agree. I feel like a broken record and won't repeat my views except to say this. The life of a teacher is one of relatively low pay (in comparison to teachers in many other countries) little prestige, and increasing responsiblity in areas previously assigned to parents. We have in this thread yet another avenue in which teachers can be held personally and even criminally liable. If teachers need legal representation it comes through our Unions, not our school boards. As for a school board buying insurance for this for teachers. LOL. The exceptions would boggle your mind if such a policy were issued, imo. I have been told numerous times that if I am accused of something my administration will be neutral and cannot stand behind me in any way. They tell us that at every in-service. It is vey scary. You wouldn't believe the things I've seen happen to teachers who are innocent of wrong-doing.

I'm not sure which is going to happen faster - that I burn out from stress, or get sued or fired (actually, my entire program just got cut because of $ but that's another story). Right now I see very caring teachers doing their best to deal with the myriad of governmental/parental/societal demands. It is getting to be too high a price for anyone to pay. Everyone wants a free lunch and the schools are where they think they can get it. The only thing I can think of that would solve this is a Peanut Detector Machine at every door. Hopefully it will work for shellfish, eggs, strawberries, kiwi, bananas, wheat, bees, perfume, walnuts, etc. I have had students with all of these allergies.

I cannot tell you how I would grieve if I lost a student to a reaction. To think I could be ruined financially and professionally as well? I really wonder what road we are going down.

Eve

I also sit in the middle on this even though my child has food allergies. Luckily not peanut, but sometimes harder to spot citric acid.

Since he started nursery school he has carried a pouch with a little Epi Junior Pen. At school, the teachers lounge and the cafateria had photos of every child that had food issues posted on the wall with clear allergic reaction and response descriptions. It was a very small school - under 300 children, but everyone teachers and students kept an eye out and it worked.

I think as food allergies continue to grow there will have to be a change in the way schools deal with this issue.
I can't tell you how scarey it is to see a 4 or 5 year old tearing at his clothing and ripping at his skin because his body is swelling up and welts start to appear. It is not a quick over-and-done event if they have a reaction. Their bodies are turning aganinst them. It starts out as a long very painful process with an exhausting recovery. The next time the exposure takes place the reaction is stronger and allows even less time for intervention. If you have ever seen photos of a gardener that has been exposed to poison ivy over 90% of his body then you will also see what some food allergies can do to those who survive. Trying to comfort a 4 year old, sitting in a cool tub of water so that his skin cools down while you are injecting him with epinepherine is one of the scariest things I've ever had to do. My son is 17 now and has been able to read labels since he was 5.
Here's hoping . . . .

what it boils down to is how far would you go to protect a child? yours or someone else's.

seems to me that giving up peanut butter and peanut products ONLY for school hours is a small price to pay for a classmate's life.

this isnt a rash,or a sneeze. its life or death.

The food industry will catch up with this problem and start to produce less foods that contain peanuts. When we lived in Onatrio 12 years ago potato chips were not made with peanut oil. Now there are several candy factories that advertise as nut free. I think it's Mars that has advertisements for their factories being "no nut zones". It kind of makes sense - it broadens their customer base and doesn't kill anyone! I haven't seen that kind of large-scale marketing in the U.S. yet. Kudos to those companies who have figured out the bottom line without peanuts is still worthwile.

They can try and make it safe. But there's no way they can completely guarantee a peanut free envoriment unless there are no peanut products produced. It's that simple.

And all children are guaranteed and be educated, however, at what expense?

I will say I had no clue that this peanut allergy thing was rising yearly. Maybe it's time to take a look at peanut production. And why so many kids are developing these deadly allergies.

Snipped a bit, luv. I think that all the legislation is dealing with is the deliberate introduction of peanuts into the school. Nobody thinks this comes with any sort of guarantee. It's just a move trying to make the environment as safe as possible.

What a horror story about your little girl! I can't imagine a teacher doing that to a little child, to make HER responsible for a child with behavior problems! We have "inclusion" here, too. But when the child needs to be supervised, an attendant is in the classroom. And I think these kids are pulled for part, maybe even most of the day,to a more structured learning environment. This helps to insure an atmostphere in the classroom where others can learn.

I don't know why allergies are gaining such a foothold. Allergies in a whole are gaining ground, not just the life threatening ones! I have some rather vaguely formed ideas, but nothing I've got any "proof" or anything for.

what it boils down to is how far would you go to protect a child? yours or someone else's.

seems to me that giving up peanut butter and peanut products ONLY for school hours is a small price to pay for a classmate's life.

this isnt a rash,or a sneeze. its life or death.

I think most people agree with you. At least in theory!

They are arguing against the legislation that would REQUIRE schools to be "peanut free" zones, because with legislation comes liability. I really don't even think the threat of liability is as great as some fear, because the legislation concerns deliberate introduction of peanut products into the school environment. Of course,accidents will happen. But I don't see a parent or the school being held liable if someone's child comes to school with peanut butter on his breath. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

My point is very similar to yours, except that I've included the fact that legislation would never ever have been needed or asked for if ALL parents would VOLUNTARILY decide not to sent peanut products to school. But that is not the case. There are really parents out there that think their kid's desire for a pb&j sandwich for lunch outweights little Johnnie's anaphylactic reaction. There really are schools out there who want to continue serving peanut containing products and expect little Johnnie to "deal with it." Hence, legislation has become necessary.

My point is very similar to yours, except that I've included the fact that legislation would never ever have been needed or asked for if ALL parents would VOLUNTARILY decide not to sent peanut products to school. But that is not the case. There are really parents out there that think their kid's desire for a pb&j sandwich for lunch outweights little Johnnie's anaphylactic reaction. There really are schools out there who want to continue serving peanut containing products and expect little Johnnie to "deal with it." Hence, legislation has become necessary.

And this is exactly what makes my heart cry when I think about how people are treating other people, not just here but all across the world, not just about peanut allergies but about everything. We would need a lot less laws and legislations and bans if people would be able to really live together. Hmmm, I'm starting to sound like an old hippie.... lol.

. I cannot tell you how I would grieve if I lost a student to a reaction. To think I could be ruined financially and professionally as well? I really wonder what road we are going down.

You sound like a WONDERFUL teacher. It's people like you that have helped my children achieve the level of success that they have today, and for that, I am thankful.

But you are right...what road are we going down? I'm all for keeping our kids safe, and if banning peanut butter helps the kids with those deadly allergies, then some form of banning or isolating children who eat these products (at school) probably is a good idea.

But the whole liability issue is what bothers me. And the fact that there are just so many way a child can be exposed to this, that I just wonder if by banning the product, we're giving those with allergies a false sense of security.

I don't know what the answers are...but I do know that we live in a society that seems to love litigation. And there's no way I'd want to be in your shoes these days.

Peanut better was something my kids lived on and I just don't recall there being that many allergies...especially fatal ones. What in the world is going on that is causing all this? That's what needs to be addressed...why is this happening?

I have several friends who are teachers and they all say what you have been saying in your posts. In fact, many of them have finally quit because they are just fed up with things the way they are. And that's a shame. I keep wondering how long it's going to be...if ever, when this country wakes up and realizes that education has to be a top priority.

My oldest graduated from college with a degree in engineering. Probably a good 90% of the other engineers in his class were from foreign countries. That should be a wake-up call for everyone.

Snipped a bit, luv. I think that all the legislation is dealing with is the deliberate introduction of peanuts into the school. Nobody thinks this comes with any sort of guarantee. It's just a move trying to make the environment as safe as possible.

What a horror story about your little girl! I can't imagine a teacher doing that to a little child, to make HER responsible for a child with behavior problems! We have "inclusion" here, too. But when the child needs to be supervised, an attendant is in the classroom. And I think these kids are pulled for part, maybe even most of the day,to a more structured learning environment. This helps to insure an atmostphere in the classroom where others can learn.

I thought about what you have been saying (last night). Maybe legislation is the way to go...I just don't know. I suppose if everyone took it seriously, then maybe it would work.

When my kids were in school, I was involved with all sorts of their activities, and I can't tell you how many times I had to deal with parents who were completely out in left field. I don't know if they just flat-out didn't care, or just they were just too darn lazy to do things right, but I can see this same bunch of people ignoring this sort of thing. So if it were something mandated by law, maybe that is the solution.

I do know that isolating kids for whatever reason is hard on the kids. Now that mine are older, I am hearing what went on back when they were in school. One was pulled out for special reading assistance (the now engineer) and another went to advanced class part of the day. Both said they hated this. Although I understand that this is they way they look at it, and sometimes kids need extra help, to them, they hate to be labeled "different."

So maybe not having the product in the school is the best option. I don't know. I really don't. But I do know that I'd sure hate to have to deal with this and live with the worry that you and others do.

I really liked the teachers (it was two different years) that were involved with my daughter and the autistic girl. My daughter was one of those kids who could study very little, and do great. She's also a nurturing person (she's in nursing school now), so even back then, this was a natural thing for her. But when we finally heard about what was going on, it was starting to wear on our daughter. Two years was a long time for a little girl to be responsible for someone else, especially someone with this type of disability.

Once we talked with the teacher...and this stopped, the district did manage to find a para for this little girl. So she was never alone at any time, and the teacher could teach, and my daughter was able to learn, and be a little kid.

This all started out innocently enough...first my daughter was the one to help this little girl gather her things at the end of the day, and helped her with her coat. It just went on from there. I don't think it was ever the intention of the teacher to "use" her in any way, but because these they were already friends (we lived in the same neighborhood), it was a natural thing.

Like I said, we had neighbor kids who were allergic to all sorts of things. Their mom sent their own food for lunch, but I'd not even consider serving the foods that were causing their allergies to my children (when they were at my home).

So maybe the peanut butter should be left at home. But peanuts are in so many things. I just wonder if this would really help. Is it the peanut butter that's so dangerous, or are the other things as dangerous (someone posted a list, and I am just surpirsed at how many things contain some form of peanut in them)?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditions/03/10/peanut.allergy.ap/

Here is a very good link, discussing a possible treatment for those with peanut allergies. It’s a couple of years down the road, but it is so promising.

The article also discusses one of the reasons WHY this allergy may be on the rise:

Peanut allergies have been rising in recent decades. No one is sure why, but a new study found that baby creams or lotions containing peanut oil may lead to peanut allergies.
Babies whose rashes or eczema were soothed by such creams were more likely to become allergic to peanuts than those whose creams did not include peanut oil, said Dr. Gideon Lack of St. Mary's Hospital at Imperial College in London

This really distresses me, because Matthew had severe eczema as a baby, and I regularly “greased him up” with lotions to help him be comfortable. It never occurred to me that I might have been helping to form a severe allergy!

Since we spent Matt’s childhood in USA, it isn’t likely that happened, but we are an “internationally mixed” family, and I did have access to lotions from other countries, although I don't really remember using foreign lotions:

Sampson said the study on the role of products with peanut oil was very interesting, but the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network, of which he is medical director, has not been able to find U.S.-made baby products including peanut oil. Merchants on the Internet market at least three, made in other countries and described as gentle and natural.
Lack noted that the amount of peanut protein in such oils would be "absolutely minute" -- one part protein per thousand-million or even million-million parts of oil. "But that may be potentially enough to switch on the immune system," he said.

Anyway, if the treatment turns out to be as wonderful as this article says, it will even be effective against the airborne form of the allergy, so all this discussion about legislation might be moot in a couple of years.

Wouldn't that be good news for everyone? It would just be wonderful for everyone: the schools, teachers, students with and without allergies, their parents, EVERYONE!

You sound like a WONDERFUL teacher. It's people like you that have helped my children achieve the level of success that they have today, and for that, I am thankful.

But you are right...what road are we going down? I'm all for keeping our kids safe, and if banning peanut butter helps the kids with those deadly allergies, then some form of banning or isolating children who eat these products (at school) probably is a good idea.

But the whole liability issue is what bothers me. And the fact that there are just so many way a child can be exposed to this, that I just wonder if by banning the product, we're giving those with allergies a false sense of security.

I don't know what the answers are...but I do know that we live in a society that seems to love litigation. And there's no way I'd want to be in your shoes these days.

Peanut better was something my kids lived on and I just don't recall there being that many allergies...especially fatal ones. What in the world is going on that is causing all this? That's what needs to be addressed...why is this happening?

I have several friends who are teachers and they all say what you have been saying in your posts. In fact, many of them have finally quit because they are just fed up with things the way they are. And that's a shame. I keep wondering how long it's going to be...if ever, when this country wakes up and realizes that education has to be a top priority.

My oldest graduated from college with a degree in engineering. Probably a good 90% of the other engineers in his class were from foreign countries. That should be a wake-up call for everyone.

Thanks Luvbeaches!:blowkiss:

Teaching is so rewarding and so frustrating. My frustrations: 1. Administators (who haven't taught in eons) 2. Parents (who expect it all and don't feel they have to contribute a thing, blame their lil darlins' troubles on everybody else 3. Legislation (too many things to go into here).

I love my students and they are often most unlovable. I do teach at-risk teens at the end of the line. My own children (same age) beg me to go back to a mainstream school. I miss teaching literature. My students hate it. It's heartbreaking how low their skill levels are and how low their expectations are for themselves. Their parents are barely surviving, financially, mentally, physically and every other way, they could give a good g-d about peanuts. Like I said, they're cookin meth, not spreading Jif.

Even with all I've said about this I could support a ban if teachers would receive immunity from strict liability. I trust my competence and would be willing to be vigilent. The things is: I already am. A peanut reaction I could in no way prevent could so easily happen. I can't even touch a kid without worrying (hard for me - the touching part), there are many things I can't say or talk about.

Also I wonder what about all the other kids who need various accomodations? My stepson, with his immune disorder? How many in favor of the peanut ban would do the same for him?

My program has been cut and I will now be placed who knows where. I'll be spending the summer trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up, this time. I've changed careers and might again.

Eve

Anyway, if the treatment turns out to be as wonderful as this article says, it will even be effective against the airborne form of the allergy, so all this discussion about legislation might be moot in a couple of years.

Wouldn't that be good news for everyone? It would just be wonderful for everyone: the schools, teachers, students with and without allergies, their parents, EVERYONE!

It would be wonderful.

However, the drug is a few years away from going on the market. Its critical third round of tests has been stalled by legal infighting among the three companies with rights to it.

How sad this is going on...but it figures.

But when approved, this sounds like it could really be a good thing for those with deadly peanut allergies.

OMG...my mouth fell open when I read about the baby lotion. But how would you know? I had morning sickness with my oldest child, and took medication. By the time he was born, they had taken it off the market because it was causing all sorts of problems. You'd have thought they would have figured this out prior to making it available to us moms...and the same with the lotion you were putting on your baby.

If this works, this really would be wonderful for those with allergies. Peanuts are such a common food, that I just can't imagine going through life knowing that coming in contact with a speck could make me so sick...or worse.

Teaching is so rewarding and so frustrating. My frustrations: 1. Administators (who haven't taught in eons) 2. Parents (who expect it all and don't feel they have to contribute a thing, blame their lil darlins' troubles on everybody else 3. Legislation (too many things to go into here).

I love my students and they are often most unlovable. I do teach at-risk teens at the end of the line. My own children (same age) beg me to go back to a mainstream school. I miss teaching literature. My students hate it. It's heartbreaking how low their skill levels are and how low their expectations are for themselves. Their parents are barely surviving, financially, mentally, physically and every other way, they could give a good g-d about peanuts. Like I said, they're cookin meth, not spreading Jif.

Even with all I've said about this I could support a ban if teachers would receive immunity from strict liability. I trust my competence and would be willing to be vigilent. The things is: I already am. A peanut reaction I could in no way prevent could so easily happen. I can't even touch a kid without worrying (hard for me - the touching part), there are many things I can't say or talk about.

Also I wonder what about all the other kids who need various accomodations? My stepson, with his immune disorder? How many in favor of the peanut ban would do the same for him?

My program has been cut and I will now be placed who knows where. I'll be spending the summer trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up, this time. I've changed careers and might again.

Eve

I'm just stunned at how many items carry some form of peanuts in them. I really wonder how on earth this can even be managed. The info kgeaux posted must really give those people who have peanut allergies (or have children who have them) some hope. This whole allergy thing is scary. I had no clue there were so many children out there with deadly food allergies.

You have really hit the nail on the head with your three points. I personally think that the biggest issues is parents...and lack of involvement. There's a school district not too far from where we live that's a total mess. Years ago, they lost the state accreditation and as far as I know, they haven't reveresed this decision.

And the parents howl and howl, yet these are the same parents who don't even make sure their kids are in school each day. These are the same parents who don't have a fit when their kids aren't passing their classes.

My kids knew the drill. They were capable of getting good grades and that's what was expected. Prior to doing anything. We always supported the teachers...and honestly, I never had one conference that I learned anything new about my kids. There were no surprises because I knew what my kids were doing and what they could do (ornery-wise).

My uncle was a teacher for years...got fed up, went to law school, and is now a DA. I'm not sure which is more challenging, but at least he seems to enjoy what he is doing these days.

I have a friend who teaches in an area where the parents sound like they are on the same page as yours. She buys them toothbrushes and toothpaste because they don't brush their teeth at home. Nor are they fed breakfast. Now the school she works at has a breakfast program, but it always hasn't, so she brought them food. When she first told me this, I was stunned.

My hat goes off to you and all the other teachers in this country. I just hope people wake up before it's too late...and maybe it is. I sure hope not, but the picture you've painted is all to similar to so many that I've heard.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VikkiB73
Back