Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to court tweet, It was not that the jury was completely deadlocked. The question was "What happens IF they can not come to a unanimous decision. "

So if that was their question and not a firm stance.. Don't lose hope...

Come on Jurors!! Come on!

Half our problems come from reporters who give us 'half-truths'

Saying we cannot come to a verdict is different from saying what happens IF.... I do remember the same question being asked in another big trial. I forget which one....

Let's all stay positive and pray that these jurors are given the strength and courage to do the right thing.

Which ever juror is the holdout has not only Jodi as a burden but Travis' family...this is killing them, just killing them.

Please God, let this family survive this. Let those in the jury who question the justice of sentencing Jodi to death, lean not on their own understanding, but acknowledge You in all that they consider. Knit this jury together as one, Lord. Let them be in one accord with their decision. Give them wisdom and knowledge that surpasses all understanding Lord and let them reach a decision that is just and pleasing to You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

I'm frustrated but still believe in this jury. They have invested FAR MORE into this trial than any of us have. I believe if there is ANY way to fairly reach a decision, they will.

Just a reminder of what the Andriano jury went through

"They gathered in the jury room Dec. 16 to consider whether there were reasons for sparing Andriano's life.

It took four days.

The sometimes-heated deliberations dramatically changed the case's outcome, with a split jury gradually shifting toward the death verdict.

When the deliberations began, the nine women and three men took a vote. Only three supported a death sentence, with four favoring a life sentence and the others undecided, said juror Mary Fobes, 74, of Mesa.

Catalano said he wasn't sure.

"I still hadn't made up my mind. I was giving her the benefit of the doubt," he said.

After one day, the jury went home for a three-day weekend that some called full of soul searching.

When they reconvened, Catalano gave a pivotal speech outlining his reasons for supporting a death sentence, and the vote swung to 11-1 in favor of execution, Fobes said.

"It was very passionate on why he thought she deserved the death penalty," Fobes said. "The more I thought about it, how could she be so brutal? She must have totally flipped her wig. I don't know how anyone could do that."

But the jury was on the verge of a deadlock, with one holdout, a senior citizen from Gilbert, saying he was adamantly against the death penalty.

On the third day of deliberations, jurors took turns discussing each of 23 reasons listed by the defense for sparing Andriano's life, the mitigating factors, weighing whether they were sufficient cause for leniency.

They included that Andriano was a good mother to her children and had signed up at age 19 for missionary work when in Mexicali, Mexico, for the 91st Psalm Church, now the Harvest Family Church in Casa Grande.

Catalano said he gave all the mitigating factors some weight, but in the end, they were not enough.

"Does a good mother brutally murder her husband?" he said.

Percy said she also considered the arguments against execution, but on balance, "we could not find mitigating factors that overwhelmed the cruelty. To me, to everybody there, the knife wound was the crowning blow. She had three chances to back off."

While jurors were discussing whether to execute Andriano, they considered that they would have no control over whether the trial judge, Brian Ishikawa, would give her life in prison with or without parole, she said.

Jurors did not want to see a 25 years to life sentence.

"We also knew with the death penalty that she has an automatic appeal," Percy said.

Different parts of the case resonated with jurors. Some said they were moved by Andriano's plea for life during the mitigation phase on Dec. 16, just before the final deliberations, while others considered it an Academy Award acting job. "

http://www.nlada.org/DMS/Documents/1106668066.47/0124deathjurors24.html

Praying the jury find a way to talk this through. It's been a long long trial for them.

Thank you for this post.

I am trying to be fair with Judge SS, but I don't care what's what - there is no way she should have lifted that ban until this trial was over. And now if the jury comes back with life I will be very angry. Sorry I am a fair person but the brutality of what CMJA did to Travis is something his family will never get over. Their only hope is if she was gone. Now she will have a celebrity status and give interviews and so forth. Poor them, I feel so bad for the ALexander family. I wish them strength.

Yes garlands
I agree with you! I'm not putting the jury down! I just am so worried about the toll this is taking on the family of Travis. It has affected them emotionally and financially. I agree the ban should have remained! Even if its not popular to say so. Many of us are going to disagree and our nerves are on edge. I think we're grouchy some of us because this has been very trying for us to see the family suffer! While her narcissism continues to grow.

Where in this world will a new jury be found? A new jury that knows nothing about this case!

That's why she did so many of the interviews for that exact reason. She's crazy like a fox that Jodi Arias.

And, the media accommodated her. The Alexander family and their pain are afterthoughts. Seeing her laughing with the deputy, earlier, caused me to give up all hope for our justice system. A killer is being treated like she is a rock star. Travis Alexander is getting as much justice as Caylee Anthony did. None.

I am very scared they will come back with life. Is it just me or is there no chance they will come back with death now...because I can't see JSS telling them to go back and deliberate...if that will happen.

Please, please let this insanity stop.

Don't fail us now jury - you have been strong so far.

Praying so hard ... you have all the information you need. God please help them have the clarity they need to make this difficult decision in one accord.

This. Maybe, just maybe, they came in to ask the question just to give the DT and CMJA false hope. Just to mess with them and to show CMJA that she is NO LONGER in control. One can hope anyway.

I like your optimism! :seeya:

If I understand correctly- didn't they ask-- " what to do if they couldn't reach a decision"? NOT that they hadn't yet- maybe still mulling it over?

https://twitter.com/courtpio

I think we can conclude they are not agreeing at all, with strong hold outs, otherwise they wouldn't be asking that.

It's only been a day. They better sleep on it!

The jury sent note saying they are unable to reach a unanimous verdict. The judge sent them back with what we call in the US the dynamite charge...and instructions that they may ask for clarification if they have a question, they may ask to see evidence or have testimony read back, etc. The judge and both sides would be available to help them. To try to go back and get it decided.

Everyone remaining on standby in the courtroom. NG said that approximately seventy percent of the time, when a judge gives a jury this dynamite charge, they do reach a verdict. Let's pray.

Chris Hughes ‏
"Calling all friends of #TravisAlexander. Please pray that A jury will be unanimous & get the sentencing right for #JodiArias."

I am very scared they will come back with life. Is it just me or is there no chance they will come back with death now...because I can't see JSS telling them to go back and deliberate...if that will happen.

Never. This jury will come back with death or will be hung.

According to court tweet, It was not that the jury was completely deadlocked. The question was "What happens IF they can not come to a unanimous decision. "

So if that was their question and not a firm stance.. Don't lose hope...

Come on Jurors!! Come on!

That's what I understood the question to be....I wonder if the media lost something in translation....and wanted to create a :panic:

Why don't they put a live cam of jodi's cocky no jury will convict me glee in the courtroom right now into the jury room. That might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member