Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that she's pro defense but her lifting of the gag order on Jodi has me worried (very worried) that Judge Stephens would indeed grant her LWP after 25 years. I don't think it's an automatic that Judge Stephens would sentence her LWOP.

She should automatically lose her license to practice law and ability to sit on the bench if she gave this monster parole, IMO.

Is there ANY possibility her M1 conviction can be overturned because of this?

A M1 conviction can ALWAYS be overturned. However, it's highly unlikely just based upon this event. We are in a sentencing phase now...not a guilty or innocent phase.

The only bright side to LWOP vs. DP is that the State would no longer fund her appeals, like they would from Death Row. She would have to hire an attorney out of her own pocket. Good luck finding a volunteer, let alone the money for that.

A solider was killed which is very sad but not a large scale 'terrorist attack'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22630303

"Basically two men carried out an axe attack on a young army cadet walking along the street, by the looks of things the police responded and then shot them in front of the public, at the same time I couldn't really tell if the cadet was fatally or not hurt as police were crowded around him."

It wasn't an axe, it was a cleaver...

http://www.ora.tv/newsbreaker/-1_ysou464d

I'm not okay with LWOP. Although she'll be locked up in a solitary cell for a few years, from the reports I've read on good behaviour after a good few years she could work her way down to medium level security.

Correct. In a few years Jodi could be living in accommodations that are similar to living in a sorority house with a bunch of criminals. And she will be treated like royalty and the queen among all those criminals. Jodi will absolutely thrive in prison. Provided she gets a few interviews and makeup every once in a while.

I trust the judge more than someone from the staff tweeting.
She had the note in front of her and gave them the instruction to try harder

Not me.. I will tell you why.. Because she could have overlooked the IF. She could have assumed they meant they were dead locked. But that may not be what they meant. The court tweet is usually dead on. I think if they said THEY WERE DEADLOCKED they would have tweeted that. But not if.

That to me sounds like something there is no reason to add...

I am hoping it was if. That way they may have been preparing for a long day of working it out.

I will accept the verdict they render. It will just seem like such a victory for CMJA that she will smile and I will be sick.

Please don't speak for Travis. I'm sorry, but I find that incredibly offensive. Will also say that his friends have indicated that he in fact was FOR the death penalty.

I didn't speak for anyone, I simply gave an opinion; you're free not to agree with it if you so choose.

I'm for the DP as well and as a Christian that is well within my right, same is true for Travis.

I want her to die, I want her to suffer (not such a Christian attitude) but true none the less. But if this means putting the Alexander family through another trial of evidence, I say give her LWOP and be done with it. Give this family some peace and let them get back to their own families and begin to put their lives back together. I think Travis would agree that his family has suffered enough...jmo of course.

We need to be fair. I have posted this several times, but it applies more than ever now. All of us who believe in the death penalty would be death penalty qualified jurors. That is an ENTIRELY different thing than putting someone to death. The difficulty is that you and I (and probably everyone of those jurors) can sit behind our screens and ask for the death penalty, but it is VERY different being one of the twelve in a small room knowing that you are part of taking someone's life. I think we know enough about this jury by now to know they were truthful, that they have weighed the evidence, and that they are strong. They have faced many hard decisions and made the difficult choice presented to them.

I have been jury coordinator on several death penalty trials. I have had one jury deadlocked. It was as painful for the one holding out as the ones who were for the death penalty. There were many tears and heartache. A jury who goes through this type of trauma together is bonded. They likely trust one another. To be a 'hold out' is a difficult thing - it rests on personal conviction about the case.

Keep in mind two things:
1. Being death penalty qualified does NOT mean you have promised to give the death penalty. Please give these jurors credit. They have sacrificed much and have deliberated carefully on all matters. If one or two believe she is too young to be put to death, they have to live with themselves later. It is important to respect the process. As much as we all sit here begging for what we want, please keep in mind that these jurors are in a much different position. They know that their individual votes will cause life or death. It is a weighty matter for ANYONE with a conscience.

2. Just because they asked what will happen does not mean they are deadlocked. They may be asking what to do.

I trust this jury. I trust the process. I am grateful to know that we have 12 strong jurors on this case. This isn't a decision to be made lightly. I promise you that even if all 12 agreed on death, no one goes home rejoicing. It is one thing to say you want the death penalty and completely another to leave the jury room with the weight on your shoulders that you just put someone to death. Entirely different. I have witnessed it.

I have deep compassion for this jury. They have been through much. My prayers are with them. I pray for the Alexanders that this can end without further trial.

Mormon Attorney- You always know what to say. Don't know how to use the hugs icon, but insert 100 here as you read. I admire beyond words your compassion and perspective. Thank you thank you thank you.

The 8 mitigating factors listed by the defense are a joke. Thus, IMO, if this jury is hung up on any mitigating factor, it is the borderline personality diagnosis put forth by the prosecution.

Dr. Drew said that Juror #8 told him that there was sympathy for JA from "several" females on the jury, and they were "not young."

I say, let these people go home. The Alexanders can go home with the knowledge that when they come back with a new jury for the sentence, the very least that JA will get is life. They can rest and restore themselves, and regain their strength.

Better to wait than to get this wrong.

Do you have a link to that statement by Dr. Drew about what Juror #8 said? I never heard that.

Sorry, but I could never lump this jury in with the Pinellas 12. They've gotten it right so far. They asked good, tough questions and brought back the right verdicts in the firs 2 phases.

I'm keeping the faith~

:seeya: I totally understand ...

But IMO, IF they do NOT give the DP, they will surpass the P 12 ...

Travis' MURDERER deserves the DP and that is the only way there will be Justice for Travis and his Family !

:moo:

well, i think it can't possibly be a juror or jurors who give so much weight to the mitigators that they think they outweigh aggravation. because that would be absurd!!

so it has to be that intangible 'feeling', that they just can't pull the trigger. hard to argue with that. if someone feels they can't do it, they just can't do it.

Then they are not DP qualified because they are unable to follow the law.

My God, the demon must be loving this...

She stood in front of the jury and swayed them with her b.s.

I'm sure she thinks that Wilmott and Nurmi are incompetent lawyers...

Her debut as a lawyer was a huge success....

Trying to be objective, I don't think the jurors are actually hung at all, or even close. They've dedicated so much of their lives to this case, we've heard that they are tight-knit, and they've agreed on all of the other verdicts up until this point. How logical is it that these same dedicated jurors would deliberate for a few measly hours and then say, "Whelp, we tried but we can't agree."? Not very likely. Instead, I think this may have been an honest question and we all jumped the gun (thanks to JSS, it would appear). I doubt that they are all unanimous at this point but, from what I understand, that is not unusual.

They said Jodi will be on death row for 3 years, regardless of what sentence she gets. I hope that is true. I just hope she is death row till death, not sure that will happen in Arizona but after seeing what the effect of being in there does to the prisoner (KCL's sister's killer)...good enough. Keep her away from others. "no happy as hell in jail" for Jodi...she never had to suffer the responsibility or the fall-out of her actions, that was for others to pick-up the pieces. game over.

It is just too bad that this trial is not being held in Travis County, TX. The jury would have been back yesterday.

I feel a tremendous amount of sympathy for this jury. What they've been through the last few months . . . . at least I had a mute button and you guys to talk with. They've had nobody. While I'm shocked and somewhat dismayed that they couldn't reach SOME verdict, I'm going to try and wait to see what happens.

I agree with this.

Inspite of the fact they have reached agreement during the first two phases, the one change I noticed in this phase is that Wilmott gave in to BPD. A personality disorder may make some feel sorry for her IMO.

On the other hand, Wilmott argued that life was life, when it may not be the case. I, personally, would be pi$$ed that she tried to lie to me throughout the entire trial. My 2 cents. Hope they reach a decision for the families sake.

Keep praying!!

Someone beat me to it, but NOW would be a good time for all of us to light a candle of faith, hope and/or prayer for the jury to be able to come to a verdict unanimously...preferably today! I just lit mine...only takes a minute to do. Let's all LIGHT a PATH to JUSTICE FOR TRAVIS!!!!!

LINK: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=TVA

Light a candle and Pray for Justice. I'll also be screaming to the Heavens for Justice. Please Jurors, make a unanimous decision today.

Not me.. I will tell you why.. Because she could have overlooked the IF. She could have assumed they meant they were dead locked. But that may not be what they meant. The court tweet is usually dead on. I think if they said THEY WERE DEADLOCKED they would have tweeted that. But not if.

That to me sounds like something there is no reason to add...

I am hoping it was if. That way they may have been preparing for a long day of working it out.

I will accept the verdict they render. It will just seem like such a victory for CMJA that she will smile and I will be sick.

Perhaps, but the staff tweeter could have just assumed the if.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilasha34