Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/...y-court-strategy-20111124,0,420872,full.story

When Jerry Sandusky makes his next court appearance court Dec. 13 for a preliminary hearing on 40 counts of sexually abusing children, the former Penn State assistant football coach and his attorney face a decision that will signal how they plan to handle the rest of the case.

A preliminary hearing is the first opportunity for a criminal defendant to face his accusers, and defense attorneys who specialize in sexual abuse cases and high-profile trials say it's a valuable chance to assess the defendant's testimony before trial.

"If Sandusky maintains that adamant stance that 'I didn't do anything' and 'This is all wrong,' then I would expect that he and his defense team will want to go through with the preliminary hearing," Easton defense attorney Phil Lauer said.

To forgo the hearing would be a tactical mistake for a defendant who plans to go to trial. But if Sandusky passes up that opportunity, it would be a strong indication that he doesn't plan to contest the charges, Doylestown attorney Sara Webster said.

"If he waives the preliminary hearing, that's an absolute giveaway that he's going to plead guilty," Webster said.

More at link....

SUE PA'S SON IS STILL THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR FOR PENN STATE FOOTBALL. If the offensive coordinator wants his elderly and frail mom to work out on the sweaty equipment used by the stinky players and swim in the water salted by sweaty football players, he can let her.

He is not the offensive coordinator. Galen Hall is the OC. JP coaches the quarterbacks. He better enjoy that swimming pool now, because he's not going to be employed by the university after this football season.

He is not the offensive coordinator. Galen Hall is the OC. JP coaches the quarterbacks. He better enjoy that swimming pool now, because he's not going to be employed by the university after this football season.
You are correct. Jay Paterno is the quarterbacks' coach. Do you have a link stating that Jay Paterno is going to be unemployed?

The first news site to post that Sue Pa was denied access to the swimming pool was the unknown Patriot Press and Sara. Hours later, the AP picked up this story. You can go back 2 or 3 pages and read this thread and see this for yourself. By implying that Sue Pa was turned away from the pool, the wannabe journalist was attempting to paint Sue Pa with an "entitled" attitude. The facts are that Sue Pa can pay $5 and swim at the Penn State pools just like anyone else on Earth. Her son is the offensive coordinator and she could swim in the smelly football player's swimming pool if she is that olfactory impaired.

This story is bs, IMO.

I understand that the Patriot Press reported that story first. Armas acknowledges that in the article. But he also wrote:

A person close to former Penn State coach Joe Paterno's family has told The Associated Press his wife was turned away from a campus pool.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/art...turned-away-at-pool-2287203.php#ixzz1egmlBMz3

He's talking about his own source. Correct? That's my understanding. I could be wrong.

You are correct. Jay Paterno is the quarterbacks' coach. Do you have a link stating that Jay Paterno is going to be unemployed?

None. It's just my opinion. He was loathed by Penn State football fans even before this scandal broke.

Perhaps Jay Paterno will find widespread affection someday, though it has never come as a quarterbacks coach underneath his father.

He's been blamed by Penn State fans every bit as much as Joe Paterno every time a quarterback throws a pass to the photographers and not the receivers. Lingering resentment by many that Joe Paterno is only hanging on long enough to ensure Jay will be his replacement as head coach smolders in some corners when Rob Bolden or Matt McGloin fail to play well enough long enough to establish themselves as the starting quarterback.

Hang around the message boards long enough and accusations of nepotism are among the nicer things you'll see.

http://www.sungazette.com/page/cont...-less-popular-as-a-sportswriter.html?nav=5017

I understand that the Patriot Press reported that story first. Armas acknowledges that in the article. But he also wrote:

He's talking about his own source. Correct? That's my understanding. I could be wrong.
This story is being spun. First, the Patriot Press (whoever they are) stated Sue Pa was turned away from a campus pool. When it was researched and found that the campus pools were all closed, Sara G. the same wannabe journalist, changed her story on her twitter. She then posted that the story she posted was not true because the pools were closed. She then changed her story to state that Sue Pa was trying to swim in the football players' pool. Since her son is the quarterbacks' coach, I seriously doubt anyone would turn his elderly mom away, but logically, this spin is seriously stupid. Joe Pa's wife did not run around (or swim) in her bathing suit in front of football players for the last 46 years. (The article stated that she exercised and swam daily.) If this story is going to be spun in this direction, Sara G. should start looking to find a new state in which to reside.

Amazingly enough, Sara Ganim has (kind of) become the face of local journalism these past few weeks - at least on CNN. She's been interviewed on CNN several times and on occasion, more than once a day.

Another story I'm wondering about is the one that was all over the internet on November 10. A radio personality named Madden made a very inflammatory "cat out of the bag" kind of statement and it spread across the internet like (overused cliche alert) wildfire. IIRC, he said two local journalists were investigating the story. Now I'm wondering who those two local journalists are/were. I've checked the guy's Twitter account a few times since then and haven't seen any further mention of it.

From the Baltimore Sun:

Pure courage?

Newspaper shows pure courage

In comes 24-year-old Sara Ganim, a writer for the paper, who uncovers this story. And at her side was the editorial staff of the Patriot-News. They first wrote about Jerry Sandusky last March — eight months ago! In a time of shrinking support, circulation and ad revenue for smaller publications, the actions of Ms. Ganim and the Patriot-News showed pure courage. Every bit comparable to the guts and drive of The Washington Post in breaking the Watergate scandal — with probably as much to lose if the story didn't hold up. These last months waiting to see if the story would be picked up by "major" media must have been wrenching. Then Ms. Ganim writes again about Mr. Sandusky, this time quoting the grand jury's description of his alleged attack of Victim 1 in the shower. And, again, the Patriot-News prints the story. http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...111121_1_pure-courage-penn-state-patriot-news

Hmmm...is she kind of being painted as the Horatio Alger in the Jerry Sandusky scandal-drama?

Wikipedia entry on The Patriot News:

The Patriot-News is the largest daily newspaper serving the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania metropolitan area. In 2005, the newspaper was ranked in the top 100 in daily/Sunday circulation in the United States. It has been owned by Advance Publications since 1947.
The official birth of The Patriot-News is celebrated as March 4, 1854, but its history goes back to December 1820, when it was a weekly newspaper named The Pennsylvania Intelligencer.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Patriot-News

Amazingly enough, Sara Ganim has (kind of) become the face of local journalism these past few weeks - at least on CNN. She's been interviewed on CNN several times and on occasion, more than once a day.

Another story I'm wondering about is the one that was all over the internet on November 10. A radio personality named Madden made a very inflammatory "cat out of the bag" kind of statement and it spread across the internet like (overused cliche alert) wildfire. IIRC, he said two local journalists were investigating the story. Now I'm wondering who those two local journalists are/were. I've checked the guy's Twitter account a few times since then and haven't seen any further mention of it.
He used to be one of those championship wrestler announcers and is a wannabe shock jock from Pittsburgh. It is pathetic that individuals are spinning stories to enhance their own careers. These detract from the facts that "great guys" can be pedophiles and mandated child abuse reporters can enable pedophiles.

He used to be one of those championship wrestler announcers and is a wannabe shock jock from Pittsburgh. It is pathetic that individuals are spinning stories to enhance their own careers. These detract from the facts that "great guys" can be pedophiles and mandated child abuse reporters can enable pedophiles.

Thanks for that background information. It goes toward explaining something I raised an eyebrow over on his Twitter stream.

Wikipedia entry on The Patriot News:

The Patriot-News is the largest daily newspaper serving the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania metropolitan area. In 2005, the newspaper was ranked in the top 100 in daily/Sunday circulation in the United States. It has been owned by Advance Publications since 1947.
The official birth of The Patriot-News is celebrated as March 4, 1854, but its history goes back to December 1820, when it was a weekly newspaper named The Pennsylvania Intelligencer.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Patriot-News
This site states that The Patriot News has only 66,700 readers. I have lived in Pa for decades and have never seen The Patriot News.
http://www.mondotimes.com/newspapers/usa/pennsylvania.html

This site states that The Patriot News has only 66,700 readers. I have lived in Pa for decades and have never seen The Patriot News.
http://www.mondotimes.com/newspapers/usa/pennsylvania.html

It didn't even make the top 50 newspapers in Pennsylvania.
http://www.mondotimes.com/newspapers/usa/pennsylvania-newspaper-circulation.html

I don't doubt what you're saying. I used to work in the publishing field and know how circulation can be tinkered around with to fit the sales pitch.

As an aside, The Patriot News endorsed the current president in 2008:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=108x129304

Also, this shock jock guy (as you described him) said "two prominent columnists" were working on the highly inflammatory rumor story.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ycn-10407023

(I had to go back and reread exactly what his reference was on that rumor)

This story is being spun. First, the Patriot Press (whoever they are) stated Sue Pa was turned away from a campus pool. When it was researched and found that the campus pools were all closed, Sara G. the same wannabe journalist, changed her story on her twitter. She then posted that the story she posted was not true because the pools were closed. She then changed her story to state that Sue Pa was trying to swim in the football players' pool. Since her son is the quarterbacks' coach, I seriously doubt anyone would turn his elderly mom away, but logically, this spin is seriously stupid. Joe Pa's wife did not run around (or swim) in her bathing suit in front of football players for the last 46 years. (The article stated that she exercised and swam daily.) If this story is going to be spun in this direction, Sara G. should start looking to find a new state in which to reside.

She's not spinning. You made the wrong assumption about which pool she was writing about. Posters over at Blue and White Illustrated, a Penn State message board, were warning people not to make that mistake as early as yesterday morning.

http://bwi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=36&tid=150113334&mid=150113334&sid=890&style=2

And I have no doubt Sara Ganim will have to find another state to live in. Those who bring the truth to light often have enemies. (A people wonder why Ray Gricar didn't pursure charges against Sandusky in '98!).

She's not spinning. You made the wrong assumption about which pool she was writing about. Posters over at Blue and White Illustrated, a Penn State message board, were warning people not to make that mistake as early as yesterday morning.

http://bwi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=36&tid=150113334&mid=150113334&sid=890&style=2

And I have no doubt Sara Ganim will have to find another state to live in. Those who bring the truth to light often have enemies. (A people wonder why Ray Gricar didn't pursure charges against Sandusky in '98!).

Sara is a "spinner". She stated that she interviewed victims, but Sandusky's own attorney can't find the victims because they are anonymous except for the Mill Hall boy and now Sandusky's grandchild. Sara is spinning that she has interview victims since the last two weeks in this statement .

Sara stated: “The victims I’ve talked to have said it’s been a lot more about the scandal and lot less about them, so I have to remember not to lose their voice in this.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/...-reporter-beat-journalisms.html#ixzz1eh4ztlkF

I call bs.

BTW, Sue Paterno is not "the enemy". There is no "light" that needs to be shone upon her. She is an elderly woman without any guilt in this crime. There is no chance in hXXX that she wore a bathing suit daily for 46 years in front of football players (required behavior to swim in their pool). A "light" should be shone upon those who hope to further their pathetic career off the back of an elderly innocent woman by portraying her as feeling entitled or slutty (if this is where Sara intends to take this new spin to her story).

In comes 24-year-old Sara Ganim, a writer for the paper, who uncovers this story.

Ganim appears to have been an AP writer back in 2008. She also comes up as a staff writer for the South Florida Sun in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill