Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Attorney General says there were no previous Grand Juries related to Sandusky.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...state-board-of-trustees-claim-on-sex-scandal/

The key phrase is this:

But the Pennsylvania attorney general’s office said that the board’s explanation is wrong because there were no prior grand jury investigations into Sandusky, said Nils Hagen-Frederiksen, spokesman for the office.

Emphasis added.

Maybe something else was being investigated, and it stumbled across Sandusky?

Penn State trustees said there were three grand jury investigations into Jerry Sandusky prior to the one that led to the charges being filed.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/01/1...#storylink=cpy
----
But the Pennsylvania attorney general’s office said that the board’s explanation is wrong because there were no prior grand jury investigations into Sandusky, said Nils Hagen-Frederiksen, spokesman for the office.

----

I'm beginning to believe that there is either something in the drinking water in Pennslyvania or everyone is on drugs. And these are successful people who have advanced degrees from Penn State.

This is like being trapped inside a Woody Allen movie.

You would think that due to a scandal as big as this, a person would get their facts straight before someone gets in front of a camera or sits down to do an interview.

Can someone explain this to a simple country girl?

---
Paterno's wife, Sue, summoned close friends and longtime staff members this afternoon to the State College hospital where Paterno has been undergoing treatments since last weekend.

Paterno wanted to see them and say a final goodbye, Sue told one of the staff members, the source said.
---
Source: Paterno in grave condition (citizensvoice.com)

I wish these trustees would make their mind up as to which story they're gonna run with. First they claim complete ignorance until the grand jury report:

Now they're claiming knowledge 6 months earlier:

Keep on talking people. The truth will find a way to get out.

i don't trust the "trustees" any more than i trust anybody else that was in charge in "happy valley." i sure don't believe these "reports" is how it all came down. jmo.

they are just attempts at damage control.

does anybody else believe that once "hes" gone they are going to try and blame it all on old joe?

its a convenient out for them.

all they have to do is go with the "joe was in charge" mantra. and then, "we have re claimed control."

they can then control the dialogue, which is what they want in the first place.

bingo, they are off the hook.

I certainly hope Joepa's conscience is clear when he passes, otherwise I feel awfully sorry for what might await him. No one will be 'off the hook' due to the passing of Paterno, in fact I want to believe that more info will be revealed by those closest to him. I am very sorry for his family, but I am more sorry for all of the boys who were raped by JS after Paterno had the ability to stop him!

What is going on?

From article:
However, Paterno family spokesperson Dan McGinn told a New York Times reporter that the report is "absolutely not true."

@markcvieraMark Viera

Dan McGinn, the Paterno family spokesman, at 8:57 p.m. on reports about Joe Paterno's death: "Absolutely not true."

18 minutes ago via web

does anybody else believe that once "hes" gone they are going to try and blame it all on old joe?

all they have to do is go with the "joe was in charge" mantra. and then, "we have re claimed control."

Interesting thoughts. However, I think it's highly unlikely....but who knows. I think it's going to be extremely interesting to see how his death is handled by, well, everyone-- the media, the university, the public, etc.

Interesting thoughts. However, I think it's highly unlikely....but who knows. I think it's going to be extremely interesting to see how his death is handled by, well, everyone-- the media, the university, the public, etc.

Checked MSNBC and CNN also and both say 'seriously' or 'gravely ill' so far.

Here's an example of how another well known coach reacts:

Bowden on Paterno: “I don’t remember the bad things… only the good things’

Posted by John Taylor on January 21, 2012, 8:22 PM EST

AP
Former Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden was surprisingly one of the most outspoken critics of Joe Paterno in the aftermath of the Jerry Sandusky child-sex scandal, saying his coaching contemporary was “a little negligent” in how he handled allegations of sexual abuse at the hands of his former assistant.

With Paterno reportedly gravely ill and near death, Bowden told the Miami Herald that he prefers to focus on the overwhelming amount of good his long-time friend brought to the game.

“Just remember the good things. I don’t remember the bad things. He didn’t have many bad things. I would only remember the good things,” the 82-year-old Bowden told the Miami Herald. “He and I spent a lot of time together. We played him 10 times at West Virginia and played him twice when I was at Florida State in bowls. I never beat him in Pennsylvania. He had too many good players.”

More at link...

Not only is he apparently not dead, he's barely trending on Twitter right now. (Sorry, had to say it!)

I just don't think this will work although the board may try it...just look at how they and the president have been raked over the coals for firing Paterno in these last meetings.

It's not true anyway...even though he did not handle things that well at the time in 2002, even he said he should have done more, but there were others that failed too...it's not the record of his entire life. He is/was a great coach and deserves respect for that record and the good life he lived for his college and his family.

I think it's really sad that all this mess with JS was so delayed and had to come out at the end of Paterno's career, ending it on a sour note. It's also very sad that he had this illness and really did not get to retire and enjoy life some at the end of his career.

Checked MSNBC and CNN also and both say 'seriously' or 'gravely ill' so far.

Here's an example of how another well known coach reacts:

Bowden on Paterno: “I don’t remember the bad things… only the good things’

Posted by John Taylor on January 21, 2012, 8:22 PM EST

AP
Former Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden was surprisingly one of the most outspoken critics of Joe Paterno in the aftermath of the Jerry Sandusky child-sex scandal, saying his coaching contemporary was “a little negligent” in how he handled allegations of sexual abuse at the hands of his former assistant.

With Paterno reportedly gravely ill and near death, Bowden told the Miami Herald that he prefers to focus on the overwhelming amount of good his long-time friend brought to the game.

“Just remember the good things. I don’t remember the bad things. He didn’t have many bad things. I would only remember the good things,” the 82-year-old Bowden told the Miami Herald. “He and I spent a lot of time together. We played him 10 times at West Virginia and played him twice when I was at Florida State in bowls. I never beat him in Pennsylvania. He had too many good players.”

More at link...

This tends to happen A LOT when people die. The deceased person becomes a saint in people's eyes. I think there will be a lot of people in the sports community who will echo Bowden's sentiments but I don't think everyone can only remember the good things about him....nor do I think they should.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ill-family-summoned-to-state-college/related/

Paterno sons deny reports of father’s death (scroll down)

Posted by John Taylor on January 21, 2012, 10:04 PM EST

Reports surfaced shortly before 9 p.m. ET that Joe Paterno had passed away, with tributes pouring in from all corners of the Internet for the coaching legend. Within minutes, the family took to Twitter to knock down what appears to be premature speculation on Paterno’s demise.

“I appreciate the support & prayers. Joe is continuing to fight,” a tweet from Jay Paterno, the coach’s son, read.

“CBS report is wrong – Dad is alive but in serious condition. We continue to ask for your prayers and privacy during this time,” another son, Scott Paterno, wrote.

In an update on their website, the Patriot-News wrote that “sources close to the Paterno family say that the family is tremendously upset with CBS Sports and other news media who have erroneously reported Paterno’s passing.”

More at link...

It's terrible, but while I was watching the news and saw this about Paterno, all I could think of was that it was sympathy spin to deflect whatever bad news is coming out next. And unfortunately, that seems true if his son is denying it.

What a day. I was at lunch in a sports bar when a pic of the coach appeared on the tv screen and his death was reported (in error). I wonder how many times the famous coach has died today.

Not trying to be unsympathtic, but maybe death is the only option for JoePa at this time.

I do believe that if he does pass tonight or in a day or two, it will take a few weeks, and then we might hear more than we bargained for concerning Penn State, Sandusky and this entire sorry mess.

Jerry Sandusky seems to skate through all of this for years and my question is why? Why would he be protected by those in charge at the school? As usual, I have a stong hunch, somehow money, big money, plays a part in all of this.

As for the coach and his future, I only hope he can RIP.

just my O.

On WPXI news tonight they claimed that Paterno is close to death, then said the hospital spokesman said he was in serious condition, then said the word 'grave condition as the family was called in.
Then said rumors were started that Paterno was deceased.
What are we to really believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member