Person doing a backbend or hanging upside down in dense foliage

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i only see the so small upper body, no jeans. i think this guy is hung up....
but it do think is a guy.
bluestarz

OK. Nobody hate me please for speculating this...

I see the jeans.
I think it is a guy because the pattern of underarm hair (spread out vertically, rather thin horizontally) is more male than female.
I think his jeans are still buttoned at the top, and a rope or cable is threaded through the loops... that way he could be suspended more securely without much slipping about.
I suspect that Alcala undid the zip of the jeans and pulled the guy's genitals into view for photos.
I suspect there probably exists at least one other shot of this guy suspended because Alcala wouldn't get a full view of the guy's genitals or the arch of his body from this angle. If he was going to go to the trouble of suspending someone in an arch, he would photograph the arch. This photo was mainly to get the face.

And I think I don't to think any more about this picture right now because I am thoroughly revolted.

Edit: Actually no... I think this is a compromise shot to get the arch, the genitals and the face, but all of them less than perfectly. I think Alcala would have also taken a shot of the guy from the side to show the arch perfectly, since the arch was a lot of work. And I wonder why he didn't snap the leaves out the way... is Alcala using the leaves to hide some livor mortis on the guy's face?

I wanna say #48 is the same pic as #3, but in focus.. Does anyone think this is the same person in the backbend picture? The hair looks the same color, but maybe different texture.. What about our "long auburn hair with red necklace" person? Could they all be the same person?

I wanna say #48 is the same pic as #3, but in focus.. Does anyone think this is the same person in the backbend picture? The hair looks the same color, but maybe different texture.. What about our "long auburn hair with red necklace" person? Could they all be the same person?
Photo 3, 48, 49 and many more are all of the "dancer". The one folks didn't understand because her leg looked disconnected from her body etc... but she is just real limber.

I still think this is a woman. It was, during the 60's/early 70's very common for women not to shave their pits or their legs, as well as burn their bras. I don't really see an adams apple here, just shadow on the neck. I flipped the image over again as was done earlier just get a different perspective, and one thing I do notice that I hadn't before is there appears to be perhaps blood on the forehead and a bump on the head above the (let me try to get this right) left(?) eye.

qoeetu.jpg
[/IMG]

Nope, I think it's the right eye.

I still think this is a woman. It was, during the 60's/early 70's very common for women not to shave their pits or their legs, as well as burn their bras. I don't really see an adams apple here, just shadow on the neck. I flipped the image over again as was done earlier just get a different perspective, and one thing I do notice that I hadn't before is there appears to be perhaps blood on the forehead and a bump on the head above the (let me try to get this right) left(?) eye.

qoeetu.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh dear Lord. Looking at this picture as you have it here.......could the person be strung up by the hands and strung up by the feet? Another words it is just as we see it in your tiny pic? Then again the blood wouldn't rush to the head.

Bottom line man or woman this poor person is either in deep distress or expired.

With all due respect I don't think it's all that easy to do a backbend when some freak is torturing you. I also still don't believe any dancer is posing with their head resting on their shoulders like it's on backwards. I won't even go into the leg.

What? This monster takes you for photographs and you tell him "Hey I'm a dancer and I'm limber wanna few shots that'll leave me even more vulnerable?" Let alone stark naked out in the wild?

JMO I think this is a guy. Nomad if it is a woman I'd say yes it surely looks like the same coloring. That person had motion blur and all.

qoeetu.jpg
[/IMG]

:crazy: For a rebuttal I would like to say I was definitely a product of the late sixties living on Haight Street and not shaving under our arms was an act of rebellion and trying to be "earthy" and liberated. It was not that attractive to most men. From all these pictures we can get an idea of Alcala's type and I don't think earthy is it. Don't think he would have taken a pic of a female with hairy underarms. Also i you look at the arms they are awfully muscular for a female.

Man or woman the head is definitely hanging toward the ground, i.e, back bend, the hair is hanging down.... gravity.

Man or woman the head is definitely hanging toward the ground, i.e, back bend, the hair is hanging down.... gravity.

Ach, that's right. Gravity. You see what I meant though?

Ummmmmm, RedBird you were a hippie eh? You really lived on Haight? My DD and nephews would be in awe of you. ;) Just a little O/T so we could breathe some. Now these kids call themselves "neo-hippies". DD trying to get some dreads started. I asked why she needed razors and wax? They wouldn't dream of not shaving. I just lay into them all that Janis was actually really not bathed. Not like say Joss Stone or whatever her name is. Posers. I do also recall my dad screaming at the TV whenever Janis was on. Screaming about the dirty hippies and how the Beattles ruined his country.

O/T done. Memories are priceless. BTW, I'm a betweener. Born too late for all the realization, liberation, invigoration. However, I had disco. Right?

Just now saw your post. This is a little o/t but my living in the Haight does correspond with Alcala's era in LA. Of the group I hung out with, all of us migrating from the U of Ark, I was the "straight" one, had to hold down a job. Never got to see Janis Joplin but knew several that did. Got married there in 1968.

I don't believe this person is hanging because the lower legs are positioned in a way that's consistent with the bottoms or his/her feet being "planted" flat on the ground, supporting the weight of the body.

If his person were hanging, the lower legs would be more extended from the knee in a straight line, as the bottom of the feet would not be parallel/flush with the ground.

My immediate thought when I first glanced at this photo was: male performing a backbend. I didn't think twice on that observation; I was certain the first time.

I can't get around the expression or lack of expression on this person's face. I can't imagine a reason a live person would pose with such a "dead" expression if he were alive. I think he could be strung up in such a way that his feet look planted on the ground. When you look closely the whole thing looks unnatural, too much of a backbend. Alcala was known for posing the bodies. This is where we really need an uncropped photo and more information. I started looking through missing persons sites trying to identify him and there are a number of possibilities, but we need more information.

It's odd that not all of his hair is falling down toward the ground.

I lightened this picture up a little (made no changes in color, just shadows) and I'm convinced that is blood running down the side of this person's nose. (Like bleeding from the mouth.) Also looks to me to have red marks on the neck. And where I circled in the blue, I'm thinking that is rope. When you enlarge the picture it looks very different pixel-wise than the surrounding twigs and branches, in fact it looks just like rope. Hope you can see it here:
skxe0h.jpg
[/IMG]

This is a picture that bothers me, not because of the facial expression of lack of, but the fact this seems to be taking place out in the middle of nowhere. Who decides to pose like this unless forced too? It is just so weird.

Billy I see what you mean, but I just thought is was branches from the tress.

Forget the rope, I looked again and it was just my computer doing weird things they are definitely all branches. However, when I decrease the shadows on this picture, I'm seeing blood, running down the side of the nose, and what looks like a bash on the side of this person's head within the shadow that her/his arm is casting along her/his face. That looks like a big bloody gash to me. Can anyone else see this?
64436e.jpg
[/IMG]

If that is a line of blood trailing from his mouth or nose and he was hanging upside down, wouldn't it have flowed into his eye socket instead of over the nose?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loislooking
Back