Pit Bull Ban Starts Today In Garfield Heights, OH

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
and smaller dog. rare, but certainly possible. This is one of the worst mauling cases on the books:

Small dog kills 6-week-old girl in California

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A small Pomeranian dog killed a 6-week-old baby while the infant's caretaker briefly left the child unattended to warm a bottle of milk, authorities in Los Angeles said.
The relative, who was caring for the infant girl, found her head buried in the dog's mouth Saturday night, sheriff's Deputy Cruz Solis said. The girl died of head trauma at an area hospital, he said.
The baby's name was withheld because her parents were out of the country and had not been notified, Solis said.
The relative has not been charged. Animal control officers took the dog.
Pomeranians are a breed of miniature canines that have a foxlike face, pointy ears and long, fluffy hair. The deputy said Pomeranian attacks are rare.
"Obviously it doesn't take much to kill a 6-week old baby but it's not something that happens with that breed," Solis said.
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/10/09/pomeranian.kills.ap/

How horrible, that poor baby. Just shows you shouldn't leave any child unattended with any dogs. We have a baby gait up and when I can't supervise the dogs go in the kitchen and the kids on the other side. Sometimes my older one wants to go in the kitchen to get away from the kids, LOL. He stands at the gait until I let him in.

First of all, and I'd like to get this over with as soon as possible: In my above post filled with statistics, I omitted the words "per year" every single time I should have used them. I should never post after midnight. Just insert "per year" at the end of every sentence, and that will about fix it.

Here's a quotation from WGN found in a very informative discussion of breed bans: http://wgnradio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31802&Itemid=394

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]“It turns out that pit bulls are, in fact, absolutely the same as all dogs,” argues Dr. Karen Overall, a veterinary behaviorist and researcher in the psychiatry department at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine – Philadelphia, who bases her view on research she and others have conducted. What’s more, this summer the Supreme Court of Alabama ruled there is no genetic evidence identifying pit bulls as inherently more dangerous than other dogs. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]According to recent testing of 122 dog breeds by the American Temperament Testing Society, pit bulls achieved a passing rate 83.9 per cent of the time. Golden retrievers ranked 83.2 per cent, beagles at 78.2 per cent, and standard schnauzers, a surprisingly low 63.5 per cent.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The truth is that pit bulls were indeed bred (using mostly various bull terrier breeds) to fight other dogs. “It’s true that some pit bulls are genetically hard wired to be dog aggressive, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with being aggressive to people,” Beaver says.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The related Staffordshire bull terrier and American Staffordshire terrier are legendary family dogs, the former dubbed the nanny dog for their devotion to children. Hedges says pit bulls were developed for dog fighting, but that also requires them not to turn on their people. She says, “I’m constantly surprised that even pit bulls abused by people have an amazing threshold for unconditional forgiveness.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I do think requiring muzzles in public on any large, powerful dog or dog-aggressive dog is a good idea. I think all dogs should be leashed in public and fenced (not tied up) when in their owners' yards. And I don't think dog-aggressive dogs should run free in a dog park nor that dog-aggressive dogs should live in the same household with other dogs. And I don't think small children should be left alone with any dog, for both of their sakes.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]However, from my own experience, I have never known a pit bull that has acted aggressively to its family or their friends or to strangers on the street. That's more than I can say for some chows, German shepherds, Scotties, golden retrievers, Irish setters and beagels I have known. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Huntley.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]​

I had a pit bull come out of no where to attack when I was walking my dogs. Surprising to me was my Danes fought him off and kept him away from me. That dog was ready to do damage, and mine knew it. They never have problems with other dogs we encounter or that run up to them. A person living on the same street says the dog has gone after other people, and killed a couple of cats. It keeps getting over the fenced area it's in. I believe they were evicted because of the complaints on the dog.

I hadn't even thought about this: The following are all fatal attacks in the CDC statistics.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/danger.htm#statistics

A man was bitten in the forearm by a Pit bull. The bite was not serious but introduced into the wound was a virulent and fast spreading bacteria. The man died 4 days later from this virulent bacterial infection.
A teenage girl give birth to a infant, distraught and frightened, she tossed the hours-old infant into a neighboring-junk-strewn yard where two Pit bulls resided. The dogs killed the newborn.
A German shepherd mixed breed dog went into a bedroom, lifted a newborn out of a crib and carried the infant (by the head) into the living room where the adults were seated.
A man restrains his girlfriend, while ordering his Pit bull to repeatedly attack her. He is eventually convicted of murder and is serving a 20-year sentence.
An elderly man attempts to stop his German Shepherd dog from fence fighting with his neighbor's dog, the dog turns on his owner, severely mauling him, inflicting fatal head and neck wounds.

The CDC was right, in that five people died as a result of a dog bite. But were all these bites the result of aggression? Were they the same type or level of aggression? Which behaviors initiated the attack, human or canine? So the number of deaths by dogs (as per the CDC) cannot be used to define aggression, or the aggression of certain breeds, as aggression is not defined or qualified.

Too funny! Maybe there should be bans for certain types of roommates -- they could turn any time!
Oh yeah. My last roomates - they were ticked because I never took a turn cleaning the bathroom floor. I never did because I never found it dirty, because they were cleaning that thing frequently. I really wonder what they were doing on that bathroom floor to make it so dirty, or to need it so clean????!

Oh yeah. My last roomates - they were ticked because I never took a turn cleaning the bathroom floor. I never did because I never found it dirty, because they were cleaning that thing frequently. I really wonder what they were doing on that bathroom floor to make it so dirty, or to need it so clean????!

See, that's the thing. A pit bull would totally accept you if your bathroom floor was less than pristine. In fact, he would love you all the more.

i have spoke on other threads about the fact my brother owns a pit and a rot. he has spent alot of time and money to have both well trained and secured. his back yard is 1 cleared acre with a 6 foot fence. he has electric wire around the top and bottom and has buried chicken wire all the way around the yard so the dogs can not dig out. the pit and the rot began to fight when the pit was 2 and the rot was 4. he had both dogs fixed and the problem went away. the reason i am posting on this thread today is my brother had his pit put down this week. a month ago his neighbor got a puppy. the pit did not like it. it started with barking at the fence then growling with hair raised. the neighbor began only walking the puppy with a pistol when the pit began attacking the fence til his mouth bled and drooling til his chest was soaked every time the puppy was walked. my brother hired a new trainer and began working with the dog. it seemed to improve if my brother or his wife was there but when the dog was alone he will still attack the fence. last weekend was a big football game here so we went to my brothers to watch the game. we have to walk by the fence to reach the door. the dog was happy to see my husband as allways. when my kids ran up to the fence with the treats they allways throw over to the dogs he went nuts. my kids have never been allowed in the pen with the pit but they have thrown him treats and petted him through the fence since he was a puppy. when the pit saw my kids Saturday his whole body went stiff, he growled and then began attacking the fence. you could hear the pop over and over as he would brush against the electric part. my brother ran out and we grabbed the kids and ran in. Monday my brother called the vet and Tuesday the dog was put to sleep. my brother has no kids and called this dog his baby. he is having it cremated and the ashes placed in a statue of a pit bull. some may think my brother should never have gotten the dog and others may think he should not have killed the dog since it was so well secured. my brother said he could not risk the life of a child if the dog ever escaped. having his dog killed broke his heart. having my child killed because his dog escaped would have killed my brother.

He made the right choice. Kids and dogs - they say that dogs see humans as different, and generally as the master - but they see children as other dogs, so when they violate dog protocol, it can get dangerous.

I'm so sorry sherri! I know your brother did the right thing, but sometimes the right thing is soooo hard. :(

I'm glad your brother did the right thing, even though I know it must be so sad for him. Many people would make excuses for their dog or go into denial of the danger, if it started acting aggressive suddenly. Your kids have a good uncle!:)

Your brother did the right thing. It sounds like the dog was almost rabid?

If my dog were to act like that, he'd be put down no matter how much I love him.

Your brother did the right thing. It sounds like the dog was almost rabid?

If my dog were to act like that, he'd be put down no matter how much I love him.
he took the pit to the vet when he first began acting out. that is where he got the name of the trainer. the dog acted rabid but only around kids or strange dogs. around adults he was a sweet heart.

he took the pit to the vet when he first began acting out. that is where he got the name of the trainer. the dog acted rabid but only around kids or strange dogs. around adults he was a sweet heart.

He definitely did the right thing. I wonder if some of the neighborhood kids were teasing him and caused him to turn against children?
I really feel for your brother but that's too big of a risk to take.

He definitely did the right thing. I wonder if some of the neighborhood kids were teasing him and caused him to turn against children?
I really feel for your brother but that's too big of a risk to take.

I agree, he is a good owner to have done that. If either of my dogs acted like that I would definitely have them put down no matter who hard it would be. More owners should be like your brother. We had to put a German Shepherd down and it was very hard but I know it was the right thing to do.

I agree, he is a good owner to have done that. If either of my dogs acted like that I would definitely have them put down no matter who hard it would be. More owners should be like your brother. We had to put a German Shepherd down and it was very hard but I know it was the right thing to do.

With this responsible action, a pet owner is recognizing what some seem to not, that a dog is a dog, no more, no less. We simply cannot say, "My dog would never hurt anyone." We really can't even say that about humans, how can we say it about dogs? Dogs apparently can snap, and they cannot tell us why. We cannot send them to prison to be rehabilitated or to a shrink. (Well, I know there are dog shrinks, but...) Humans do have (or should) a higher level of intelligence and accountability. I LOVE dogs, BTW. For myself, having a dog with a small likelihood of aggression or ability to hurt a person is important. This has to do both with breed selection and training/socialization. The breed instinct can override all training at times, like with the dog we are talking about here. Whether training and socialization can reliably override aggression is obviously something people argue about all the time. I'm not sure of this - which is why I own a wimpy poodle, who would be put down if he ever demonstrated unprovoked aggression towards a human. I say unprovoked because if someone was hitting him or being physically cruel, he might growl and snap (if he was unable to run away).

Eve

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fruit
Back