Pit Bull Ban Starts Today In Garfield Heights, OH

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That's just sad. I've never heard of the ban making people get rid of their dogs, I've just heard that they'd get a "grandfather" clause and no new Pits could be obtained.

I own one and I'd be extremely upset if this happened to me. It's basically dog discrimination and once they ban one breed, yours may be next.

It's the owners, not the dogs.
What is a grandfather clause Lurker..TIA.......making people get rid of their dogs this way is cruel and unusual....here the breed died out with the introduction of compulsary neutering of existing Pitties......Sharpeis are becomming the new pittbull here.

Im so not a dog person but over at one of my friends apartments that i hang out at alot he has a pitbull and at first i was REALLY scared to be around it i thought it was going to kill me (just based on stories ive heard) but my friends told me to chill out and ive fallen in love with this dog! He is the sweetest dog ever, i share my food with him lay on the couch with him...which is weird for me because i dont really like being around dogs and im allergic but this one has my heart. Hes absolutely adorable and wouldnt hurt a fly!! So my outlook on pitbulls has TOTALLY changed. & I dont think all of them should be banned.

That's just sad. I've never heard of the ban making people get rid of their dogs, I've just heard that they'd get a "grandfather" clause and no new Pits could be obtained.

I own one and I'd be extremely upset if this happened to me. It's basically dog discrimination and once they ban one breed, yours may be next.

It's the owners, not the dogs.

Ditto!

The banning bothers me because of exactly what you said....it's the owners, not the dogs. I have a shepard, pit mix and he's the sweetest dog I've ever had. He loves humans and other animals as well. He's been raised by a loving family and he doesn't know meanness.

The problem with the pits is the dogs and irresponsible breeders & owners. I have to agree with Indy, on none of the reports of dog mauling or death were from dogs of high qualilty stock. They were the backyard bred dogs. A well bred pits most like will be a great dog, because it's genetic makeup and temperament has been CAREFULLY selected from the breeding stock to get a dog that is close to breed standards.

Some of the dogs of dubious backgrounds have known love since a puppy and turn on their owners...apparently something wasn't wired right in their brain from birth. That's not the dog's fault, but the breeder's.

Just about every owner of one who turned and hurt or killed a child, says the same. They were a loving family pet, never vicious, wouldn't hurt a fly... until...

They could all be lying - but what if they aren't?

Maybe we should get something together to get these dogs out of there??? Is there anything we can do. The group I work with only has enough time for Indianapolis. The last ban they had an underground railroad type thing getting the dogs out before, well you know what. Who knows about this???

Just about every owner of one who turned and hurt or killed a child, says the same. They were a loving family pet, never vicious, wouldn't hurt a fly... until...

They could all be lying - but what if they aren't?
I am sure you have seen the links so I wont post them but A well bred pit is a loyal, loving FAMILY dog. (not yelling..LOL) It is the bad breeding that is killing this bred!! I dont think it is right we wipe out A whole dog breed because no one wants to take a stand and make laws. Once people start allowing them to do this ban on pits, next will be rots, then akitas, then my baby boy huskies, etc...

Maybe we should get something together to get these dogs out of there??? Is there anything we can do. The group I work with only has enough time for Indianapolis. The last ban they had an underground railroad type thing getting the dogs out before, well you know what. Who knows about this???

Where do these dogs end up (after they have been railroaded out)?

Where do these dogs end up (after they have been railroaded out)?

I think Denver passed the same law a couple of years ago. The pits for the most part ended up in a kill shelter. And what happened was no room was left for any other dogs. So most were put down. Other owners went underground and have their dogs in secrecy. I am not a fan of Pits myself, but I don't see what good this law does. Where these laws have been passed you still have the banned dogs attacking people. It's the few bad people, not the dogs. It's better that the dogs are licensed and owners held accountable. Stronger laws and better enforcement would work better, IMO.

<It's basically dog discrimination>

yes it most certainly is,, but for good reasons, obviously!

<and once they ban one breed, yours may be next>

uhhh,,, i don't think they'll be banning labs or lab mixes, poodles, or chihuahuas, etc. etc. etc. anytime soon

<It's the owners, not the dogs.>

and this is the same old phrase we keep hearing over and over and over. and that is where you are wrong, wrong, WRONG. it's very often the owners,, but it's also very often the DOGS.. and sometimes,, it's BOTH.

pit bulls were bred to have PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS specifically made for fighting and causing the most possible damage to another living thing. And they often snap and behave uncontrollably for no reason (yes, of course, sometimes other dogs do that too.. but not as much as pits). and when they DO snap and attack someone,, they're going to cause a lot more damage than most other dogs will do.

Yeah, yeah,, I know... 'a pomeranian killed a newborn one time somewhere' and 'one time when i was young, a german shapherd attacked someone and they had to go to the hospital' and so on and so on and so on. but pits attack so frequently, and with such viciousness,, that really, it has become synonymous with their name. the papers can't even keep up with all the attacks & injuries,, so they only cover the sensational stories now, like when someone gets their arms ripped off or when a child gets chased down and mauled to death. do you see this happening as often with other dogs?

no, we don't.

i say.. hooray for the ban. there should be at least a few places left where people can be free of these dogs. there's already enough stuff out there to watch out for without taking a walk down your street and having some crazed pit bull attack you (or your kid) from out of nowhere, because it got out of your neighbor's yard.

No Reb, you are Right!!! Finally a town with some sense! Too bad the rest of the country hasn't caught on yet...

, and Yes lab/pit mixes have done the same.

I agree with you because the pit part of that mix has corrupted the lab in the dog. For that very reason, when I got a lab/pit mix referral at a shelter from my local Lab rescue, I refused that dog!!!!!

lol Reb, you mentioning the pomeranian, brought back a memory from when I was five years old. My mom had a pekenese (sp?) that was psychotic and would go after you for merely wearing red shoes. Well one day he attacked me and my arm looked like an aligator bit it. I still have the scars.
Alot of times laws seem so good on paper, but don't really work in action.

Once people start allowing them to do this ban on pits, next will be rots, then akitas, then my baby boy huskies, etc...

Totally unfounded arguement.:hand: No other breed has exhibited the same rate of maiming and killing as pit bulls (whether they were full pits or partial). You don't see drug dealers using Golden Retrievers (which can bite) as their canine weapon of choice. Noone is suggesting banning any other breed, and to tell you the truth, Presa Canarios should be next in line right up there with Rotties. But NOONE is thinking even remotely about banning Huskies or Akitas.:doh:

Totally unfounded arguement.:hand: No other breed has exhibited the same rate of maiming and killing as pit bulls (whether they were full pits or partial). You don't see drug dealers using Golden Retrievers (which can bite) as their canine weapon of choice. Noone is suggesting banning any other breed, and to tell you the truth, Presa Canarios should be next in line right up there with Rotties. But NOONE is thinking even remotely about banning Huskies or Akitas.:doh:

This is just something I've come across in my internet news travels, so I don't have the links handy, and I will look for them. But cities are discussing banning several breeds of dogs that are considered dangerous. And Akitas do have a bad record for biting, so I bet they would be on that list.

Beyond the main ban on PitBulls, I believe this list Dangerous Dog list includes...German Shepherds, Mastiffs, Chows, Huskies/Malamutes, Akitas, Doberman Pinschers, Great Danes, and Rottweilers.
How long do you think it'll be before these wonderful dogs are banned, too!

http://www.mousetrax.com/ChicagoDogBan.html

From the Humane Society of the US:

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/dangerous_dogs.html

The main conclusion of the study was that breed-specific legislation doesn't work for several reasons: that there are inherent problems in trying to determine a dog's breed, making enforcement of breed-specific legislation difficult at best; that fatal attacks represent a very small portion of bite-related injuries and should not be the major factor driving public policy; and that existing non-breed-specific legislation already exists and offers promise for the prevention of dog bites.

and

Communities that have banned specific breeds have discovered that it has not been the easy answer they thought it would be. In some areas, media hype has actually increased the demand for dogs whose breed is in danger of being banned. Animal control agencies, even those that are well funded and equipped, have found the laws to be an enforcement nightmare.

One of the problems with dog bans is the idiots that want mean dogs will just go out and get another breed and raise it to be mean.

If all pits are banned as a breed, mark my words...the Presa will be the next bully dog of choice. People who want the "gangster" dog will move on to the next "bad azz" dog and ruin the breed. I don't think they've gotten to be a street breed of dog yet because the breeders have kept tight reins so far on letting dogs not neutered/spayed only going to other RESPONSIBLE breeders.

Sadie, that's exactly what happens. Remember back in the 70's it was Dobermans, before that it was German Shepherds. Check this site out.

American Pit Bulls were given an 84&#37; percent pass. Look at all the breeds that scored worse. The so called dangerous dog breeds look great compared to some others!

http://www.atts.org/stats1.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamonara