Pit Bull Saves Woman and Child From Attack

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They are such gorgeous animals! I would love to have one but.........I'm afraid of them. Well, I'm afraid of German Shepherds and Rottweilers, too- LOL. But about 15 years ago we got a pup at a pet store that they said was a lab/border collie mix. She turned out to be a HUGE German Shepherd- LOL! She was a wonderful protector and I never felt afraid of her for our family but I surely couldn't trust her with outsiders. I miss Molly but I am still afraid of Shepherds in general. We have neighbors with a pitty. It is so beautiful and I am terribly afraid of it. One night it got in front of my car and wouldn't move. I had to sit in my car forever, too afraid to get for fear it would kill me.

I love your story about the pitty wouldn't move and you sitting there a long time afraid of what to do . It's one of those "what do I do now?" situations. LOL

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. -- The wandering 65-pound Pit Bull mix might have seemed menacing to some passerby, but one woman will always remember him as her "guardian angel."

The dog, which authorities think is lost and not a stray, successfully thwarted a robbery attack on a mother and her 2-year-old son, who were held at knifepoint Monday afternoon.

http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/straydogsaveswomanchildheldatk-993

Hey WSers,

This is an oldish story, but I just saw it for the first time today. I apologize if there's a thread on it - I couldn't find one, but I've not yet had enough coffee to be completely sure of myself!

Anyway, as a person who has real concerns about pit bulls, I wanted to give proper publicity to a story where the action of one was helpful and not harmful.

I miss you all terribly - have been too busy with "real life" to hang here much!

Very heart warming story. It makes me so happy to see stories like this. I hope the family gets to keep the dog. It appears that the dog chose them as his family.

and then we have two pits that chewed a six month olds testicles off.......

I too can't understand why MARS feels that the dog would not act to save an unknown person from an attack. I use to live on a farm where I boarded horses for people and I had a Brittany Spaniel that I had taken in as a rescue. One of the horse owners brought her young 3 year old niece to the barn one day and allowed the child to climb all around her horse's legs and under his belly. I told her I did not think it was a good idea but she was sure her horse was docile enough not to harm the child. My Brittany happened to be in the barn when the child ran around behind the horse and startled it, causing it to kick out at the child. Before anyone could move, my dog jumped up and placed herself between the horse and the child and took the kick herself in midair. She did not know the child and was not accustomed to being around children, yet she acted on her own instincts to save the child from being hurt. Luckily my Brittany only received some bruised ribs. I am sure others have many stories of this type of action too. I don't think a dog has to know someone personally in order to protect them.

melly there are some humans that dont have that kind of instinct :(

Finally something positive about a pitbull, there has been so much negativity about them. I have to say this though, a dog is only as smart or as stupid as it's owner.

Oh, that's just plain silly! If it had been a labrador who came to the woman's rescue, no one would be questioning if the dog had actually intervened to save the woman and child. IMO, the breed of the dog has much to do with the questions about whether or not the dog helped the woman.

I agree. Although I am not a fan of Pitbulls I see no reason why this story can't be true.

I am more of a Dog Yeller than Dog Whisperer (HEEEERRREE BABE, BABE DON"T EAT THE BIRD, that type of dog yelling) I do know that dogs can sense danger and can sense fear.

It would come as no surprise to me that a sweet docile dog would see a woman in fear with a man who was posing danger and chase him off.

This is a wonderful story.

I was a Veterinary Technician for many many years. Pits and Rotties have gotten a bum rap in my book. There are bad dogs in every breed, the only reason Pits and Rotties are more dangerous than other breeds is because of their size and the power of their jaws. They do have the potential to do more damage if they bite, just like any other large breed dog, but I have seen very few mean ones. In the veterinary field we were more cautious of getting bitten by the 3 C's more than the pits and rotts.
3 C's = Chihuahuas, Cockers, Chows.

:)Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. I hate the bad rap that pitties get.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supersnooper001
Back