Pit bulls break into woman's house; maul her

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very wise. I know from personal experience that fences don't keep out raccoons. And my vet tells me raccoons entering through pet doors and attacking pets is quite a problem.

My Mom had a "doggy door" on her screened in porch. Her dog busted through the screen and it became the "door" he'd use to enter the porch instead of waiting. She had a possum that would come up the steps and enter through that "door" every night and eat all the cat food.
She got that "door" fixed pretty quick once she saw that ugly thing. LOL

Horrifying!!! Can you imagine being sound to sleep and this happening :(

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_082107WAB_dog_mauling_SW.583497bb.html

Woman mauled by home-invading pit bulls
10:38 PM PDT on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

KING5.com Staff

Animal control officers say the victim was covered in blood after the dogs attacked NEAR PURDY, Wash. - In what deputies describe as the worst mauling they've ever seen, two pit bulls entered a Wauna-area home through an open patio door and attacked a woman in her bed.

Pierce County Sheriff's Dept. spokesman Ed Troyer said a neighbor's Jack Russell terrier also entered the home in the 10600 block of 132nd St. Court NW through the dog door and the pit bulls attacked the terrier named Romeo. The blood splattered thoughout Sue Ann Gorman's home tells the story of how she fought off the two pit bulls.

The 59-year-old was in bed, in her room. Neighbors say she was sound asleep when the attack happened. She managed to get away, run to her car, lock herself in and call 911. Even after fighting off the dogs, she was in pretty bad shape.

"Tears into her hands and arms and into her breast and face," said Gorman's friend Carol Southworth.
"Pretty much from head-to-toe, she was covered in blood," said Pierce County Animal Control officer Brian Bowman.

Troyer said firefighters locked the pit bulls in the house until deputies arrived. Officers had to use pepper spray and fight the dogs to get them into custody.

"I can just say I'm sorry because I can't take it back," said Zack Martin, one of the dogs' owners. He says the other dog belongs to a friend. Martin says one of the dogs chewed on a rope holding up the fence to his backyard, and that's how the dogs escaped.

"I would never think my dog would do something like that," said Martin.

Gorman was taken to St. Joseph Hospital, where she was listed in satisfactory condition. The terrier was taken to an animal hospital, where he died Tuesday afternoon.

The pit bulls were taken to the Pierce County Humane Society, where they will remain until the case is resolved.

The pit bulls also attacked a Jack Russell terrier named Romeo.

Neighbors say they have had problems in the past with the two pit bulls running wild.

Information will be given to prosecutors, who will decide what, if any, charges will be filed against the owners. Animal control officers say they will recommend gross misdemeanor charges at the very least.
--"The victim was covered in blood'--what a horror story this is--imagine being attacked inside your own house in your bedroom--I hope the owner of the dogs is prosecuted

These pitts entered through the pet door and attacked a woman while she was in her own bed minding her own business....what a nightmare for this woman....Stephens Kings Cujo wasnt as scarey as these dogs.
I hate to get involved in the Pitt threads as some of my favourite posters either own or defend the breed....but C,mon enough is enough...the breed is unstable.

Not true, Whalen. I know several old pits, a couple of which are ten and twelve years old. They've never harmed a person, ever. My own pit is---I think five or six. I'd have to think about when my son brought him home. He, too, has never harmed a person. Just telling you the that is right in front of my own eyes, sorry that it is so tiresome for you.

Pits are AGRESSIVE TO OTHER ANIMALS which are not a part of their own family. They are not normally agressive to humans.

Again, I'll say that the vast majority of pitbulls never "turn," they never have to be put down by their owners or the courts. Probably over 99 percent of pits

will live long, healthy and happy lives and remain loving and loyal the whole entirity of their lives. A very small percentage of pits cause very serious, deadly trouble. Sometimes it is the owner's fault for not properly socializing and containing the dog. Sometimes it is the breeder's fault because he bred specifically for agression.....sometimes the pit puppy was fed blood and gunpowder (yes, they do that) to increase it's agressive tendencies. And I'm sure there are the few properly raised pits who do develop agressive tendencies, just like there are the few of every single breed who have been properly raised and still develop aggression.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Dog owner pleads guilty in mauling
The Associated Press
Article Launched: 08/22/2007 12:28:25 PM PDT

PETALUMA, Calif.—A Petaluma man has pleaded guilty to letting loose his two Rottweilers that attacked a 7-year-old boy in exchange for no prison time.
Kieran Burns, 50, is likely to get three years of probation and also could be sent to county jail. If he violates probation, prosecutor Marianna Green said Burns could then be sent to prison.
Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 27. Burns was freed on $20,000 bail after his arrest in the April 29 mauling.

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_6689360

Jbean, you know the story you posted didn't have anything to do with this one, right?? lol!!

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_082207WAB_pitbull_attack_victim_SW.5cebed47.html

05:16 PM PDT on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

By TIM ROBINSON / KING 5 News and SUSAN WYATT / KING5.com

TACOMA, Wash. - Sue Gorman suffered bites and scratches to her arms, chest and face when two pit bulls got into her house early Tuesday morning, while she was in bed, sleeping.

With her assistance dog Misty on her lap, Gorman told the rest of the story from a hospital conference room, describing what happened and maintaining a sense of humor, despite her ordeal.

She said she was asleep when the pit bulls came into her room.

"I woke up real quick," she said. "If you're asleep and two pit bulls attack your dog, you wake up real quick."

edited to add link....oops

ALSO EDITED BY ADMIN DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

Jbean, you know the story you posted didn't have anything to do with this one, right?? lol!!

LOL yes I knew. We have had several pit bull threads going over the last few weeks and we have been discussing all differnt dog attacks in them. The ongoing theme of the last couple dog attack threads has been whether it is the owners or the dogs.

It's the dogs...well not really the dogs, but the breed and I think
they should be banned for anyone that doesn't have a valid license and reason to have them......oh, and what would that reason be??? nothing comes to mind...:doh: They scare me to death!!

These pitts entered through the pet door and attacked a woman while she was in her own bed minding her own business....what a nightmare for this woman....Stephens Kings Cujo wasnt as scarey as these dogs.
I hate to get involved in the Pitt threads as some of my favourite posters either own or defend the breed....but C,mon enough is enough...the breed is unstable.

That's okay Dingo I'll forgive you:)

they should be banned for anyone that doesn't have a valid license and reason to have them......oh, and what would that reason be??? nothing comes to mind...:doh: They scare me to death!!

The reason would be because they are very loving, smart and quite humerus dogs, that are beautiful to look at, not for fighting or looking tough like most of the people who have them. About six years ago I was introduced to my first pitbull. Her name was peaches. My best friend and her boyfriend had her. My friend use to watch my son who was 2 at the time. She was the sweetest dog ever. My mom was terrified and didn't want me taking my son over there. I told my mom one day lets stop at Lindsey's so you can see peaches. When we walked in she was wagging her whole body so hard. My mom said "that's a pit bull". She had had the image in her mind of a snarling, scary monster. She never complained again and many times went to visit peaches after that. She loves our two pits and they love her and she will tell everyone who will listen what good dogs they are. It is all about experience, I guess. Petey from the little rascals never attacked anyone especially the children.

This one worries me. My mother's neighbor with two pits did put up a privacy fence to keep them in finally (they kept getting out of the backyard)...but now her little Yorkie is in heat. I have been scared the pits will dig their way out. I never considered they could literally "break" into her home tho!

You all know my thoughts on the subject. I believe pits are a dangerous breed. Period. Responsible owners or not.

They scare me too.
After some awful attacks they were banned in the UK.

I remember a few years back when the eight year old daughter of the owner of two pit bulls, or rotweilers "both now banned" took both dogs for a walk with her eight year old friend.
Sadly while on the walk the friend slipped and fell and was immediately attacked by both dogs. This poor little child was mauled to death.
The other eight year old saw the whole thing but obviously couldn't do anything to stop it.

And neither of these dogs had ever been a problem before.

There have been other dreadful attacks and after lots of outrage about these particular breeds the law was changed.

It became illegal to sell or breed these dogs. And if you already owned one it became illegal to take one outside unless it wore a muzzle.

The idea being that eventually the breed would disappear.
As this law was brought in a few years ago it may already have happened.

Your right the breed is unstable. Yet everyday someone else will defend the breed along the lines of ''its a mix'' or ''it's not full Pitt'' or ''the owners didnt train it right'' etc etc etc... They are unstable dogs plain and simple and I just don't see why people continue to make excuses for them or why they are trying to make a point?.. I'm glad we don't have pits around here where I live they are banned thank God!

Your right the breed is unstable. Yet everyday someone else will defend the breed along the lines of ''its a mix'' or ''it's not full Pitt'' or ''the owners didnt train it right'' etc etc etc... They are unstable dogs plain and simple and I just don't see why people continue to make excuses for them or why they are trying to make a point?.. I'm glad we don't have pits around here where I live they are banned thank God!
I agree.
And its usually the same story too. The owners are very shocked because their dog had never shown any aggression before.
There is absolutely no way I would have one around a child.

I wish I could say we had a ban on them as well. Where I live all pits already owned are allowed to stay however they must be spayed or neutered and on leash and muzzled at all times, even in an off leash dog park! However I don't think they have gone far enough, I would like to see and out and out ban on the breed!

We have a "remote" doggie door just for this reason. Our dogs have sensors on their collars that open the doggie door. They walk up to it and it opens and then closes behnd them. Every now and then the batteries go dead on the sensors and that's a probelm. Before my other dog died, it was kind of cute to watch them if one dog's collar sensor was dead. The other dog would walk up and open it for them and "hold it open" until the other got through.
It's really a great contraption.

My dogs would get mud on the transmitters or they would break under normal doggie conditions. If and when the door mechanism breaks (I had three of them, one purchase and two replacements under warranty) get one with magnet-signaled openers. Had it 3 years and hasn't failed, and the magnets are cheap!

Crypto6

My dogs would get mud on the transmitters or they would break under normal doggie conditions. If and when the door mechanism breaks (I had three of them, one purchase and two replacements under warranty) get one with magnet-signaled openers. Had it 3 years and hasn't failed, and the magnets are cheap!

Crypto6

Thank you crypto!

This is horrible. It's one thing to be attacked on the streets, but in your own home????!!!!
Kgeaux, I wouldn't own a pit because it has aggression to other animals. Simply because so many other people own animals they may come across, ie, by accidentally getting out.
It doesn't take much it seems for that animal aggression to to turn towards humans. Any type of aggression from a dog that is a family pet is just not cool, IMO.

Although agression toward other animals seems to be a "trait" of pits (and many other breeds), it certainly isn't present in all pits. And it's so easy to control. Neutering the animal, socializing the animal with other animals, training the animal will all reduce or control this natural aggression.

Since my pit fell into my life, I've met so many people who have these dogs. My vet owns a pit, his assistant owns a pit, my DOCTOR owns a pit! I know the temptation is to think that only drug dealing low lifes own pitbulls, but it simply isn't true. The dogs you hear about are FREQUENTLY owned by drug dealing low lifes, (or young adult males who are clueless how necessary it is to take authority over their animal) which strengthens my point that proper training has wonderful results with pits. Again, I'll say that 99% of pits will live long, healthy, happy lives and will never pose a problem.

I find it impossible to believe that the two pit bulls that attacked this woman in her bed were used as fighting dogs. These were just two everyday average dogs who lived in a normal neighborhood. Its a PRIME example of why these dogs should be destroyed whenever they are found and the breed extinguished.

I find it impossible to believe that the two pit bulls that attacked this woman in her bed were used as fighting dogs. These were just two everyday average dogs who lived in a normal neighborhood. Its a PRIME example of why these dogs should be destroyed whenever they are found and the breed extinguished.

I agree, they were probably never bred to fight. I don't agree that the two dogs in this case are even pitbulls----one of them very obviously is not a pitbull, and the other looked like a mixed breed with a little pit thrown in.

These two dogs were not contained, they were obviously aggressive to other animals, and they entered the home to attack the woman's pet. My belief is that there should be some sort of legal mechanism in place to force an owner to properly contain their animal, or lose the animal. This owner would have lost these two dogs, whatever they are, long ago since he had continuing problems with the dogs getting out.

I absolutely do not agree that all pits should be killed for the sins of a few.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99
Back