Plane carrying 62 people crashes in Brazil with no survivors. Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

DS2021

Reaction score
[https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/08/09/americas/brazil-plane-crash-intl-latam

A passenger plane carrying 62 people crashed on the outskirts of São Paulo on Friday afternoon, killing everyone on board, according to Brazilian officials. Dramatic footage from the scene showed the plane’s fall and its destroyed fuselage in flames on the ground.

“There are no survivors,” Ana Cândida Briski, communications director of the nearby city of Valinhos, told CNN, adding that there were no ground victims.

I just saw this news story. Awful! You can in the video, the plane just drops in a flat spin. What leads to that? Any pilots that can answer that?
What causes a spin is a stall. What causes a plane to stall is when the wing exceeds the critical angle of attack and looses lift. When the airflow over a wing decreases, the angle of attack needs to be increased to maintain lift. When the critical angle of attack is exceeded the wing no longer produces lift and wing stalls. If the pilot does not or cannot recover from a stall a spin can develop.

Icing conditions can increase drag and decrease the efficiency of the wing and cause an increase in angle of attack to maintain lift. My guess is this plane encountered icing conditions and the build up of ice on the wings, tail and maybe propellers caused the plane to stall and become uncontrollable.

While training we practice recovering from stalls, which is pretty easy, and discuss spin recovery, since most plane are not certified for spins. But if there was so much ice on the wings and the plane would not fly, it would be impossible to recover from a spin or a stall.

JMO

How did it drop 13,000 feet if maximum altitude is 10,000 feet?

It can fly a maximum altitude of 10,000 feet
with a maximum speed of 316.9mph.

The aircraft was PS-VPB, a 14-year-old ATR72-500, according to FlightRadar24.

Data from the flight tracker shows the plane lost 13,000 feet in elevation in under two minutes during the final moments of its ill-fated trip.

What causes a spin is a stall. What causes a plane to stall is when the wing exceeds the critical angle of attack and looses lift. When the airflow over a wing decreases, the angle of attack needs to be increased to maintain lift. When the critical angle of attack is exceeded the wing no longer produces lift and wing stalls. If the pilot does not or cannot recover from a stall a spin can develop.

Icing conditions can increase drag and decrease the efficiency of the wing and cause an increase in angle of attack to maintain lift. My guess is this plane encountered icing conditions and the build up of ice on the wings, tail and maybe propellers caused the plane to stall and become uncontrollable.

While training we practice recovering from stalls, which is pretty easy, and discuss spin recovery, since most plane are not certified for spins. But if there was so much ice on the wings and the plane would not fly, it would be impossible to recover from a spin or a stall.

JMO
It appears that the plane had been at cruising altitude of about 17,000 ft when whatever happened occurred. Is that an altitude you might typically see icing? I see from the video that it was a cloudy day in the vicinity.

The same plane was experiencing issues the day before with no air conditioning. Perhaps an electrical problem.

Journalist Daniela Arbex shared on her social media videos of passengers on a Voepass flight, where people were suffering and having a hard time due to the heat, as the aircraft had no air conditioning. Registrations are by last Thursday (08)

After the disclosure of the tragedy that occurred in a Vinhedo this Friday (09), Arbex revealed that he had flown in the same plane that crashed in the interior of São Paulo, a day earlier. “I just learned that the plane that crashed is what I was yesterday and I filmed people having a bad time. I am shocked ! ", the journalist wrote in the original post.

“It was terrible. A passenger came to take off his shirt. Another one, who was an armchair in front of me, had a bad headache. People were shivering for air. (... ) For the third time the company aircraft had problems both in the SP stretch and the connection to Mines. Me and other passengers questioned the aircraft. The answer was that 'air didn't work on ground, only in the air', which didn't. Last time, the excuse was that the air needed maintenance," Arbex revealed.

Finally, the journalist deeply regrets the tragedy and questions the condition of the company aircraft.

Instagram play: daniela. arbex
Check it out on JP News and Panflix Jovem Pan News

#JovemPanNews #QuedaAvião #Acidente #Passageiros #Voepass #Vinhedo #SP

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member