Police search for murder clues in e-mail

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I really hope Raven had a G-mail acccount. A lot of computer "geeks" think that google's ability to hang on to mail is creepy....as they say in this website: http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

This is the first paragraph of that site:

Google offers more storage for your email than other Internet service providers that we know about. The powerful searching encourages account holders to never delete anything. It takes three clicks to put a message into the trash, and more effort to delete this message. It's much easier to "archive" the message, or just leave it in the inbox and let the powerful searching keep track of it. Google admits that even deleted messages will remain on their system, and may also be accessible internally at Google, for an indefinite period of time. For a few months they showed a note saying that messages left in the trash folder for 30 days would be automatically deleted, but many users reported that this never happened. Now that message, which is still present for the spam folder, is gone from the trash folder. Google wants very much to get to know you better.

We know he had a gmail account because when he was selling his Ducati, it referred people to email him at gmail.com. Good find. Looks like LE has the info and now we need to do jen's favorite thing.....wait! :)

BTW, My Kudos to Eric Olsen, reporter, for keeping up with the coverage of this story!

ewwwinteresting said:
We know he had a gmail account because when he was selling his Ducati, it referred people to email him at gmail.com. Good find. Looks like LE has the info and now we need to do jen's favorite thing.....wait! :)

BTW, My Kudos to Eric Olsen, reporter, for keeping up with the coverage of this story!
I hate waiting also, but this new activity makes being patient a tad bit easier somehow. Thank you Mr. Olsen!

juliagoulia said:
I hate waiting also, but this new activity makes being patient a tad bit easier somehow. Thank you Mr. Olsen!
Ya think LE would let us volunteer and help go through the information? That would make waiting much more easier!

terminatrixator said:
The ISP is the provider of the internet connection and since each customer is issued a number, they could track from the laptop connection to the sites visited during that period of time.
Suppose that the laptop was never really stolen, and was instead hidden away somewhere. Would LE be able to see that the accounts were accessed from the allegedly stolen laptop or is that impossible?

terminatrixator said:
Another comment regarding the co-workers of Janets, that they were emailing back and forth with Janet, or tried IM'g Janet and she did not answer. They did not show up at the house the night of the murder, they came to the house the next day.

One thing regarding those emails or IM's, perhaps Janet had talked about problems in the marriage and that is what the co-worker really had concern about, and why the co-worker showed up the next day and perhaps that is something that LE is looking at.
What I remember hearing or reading a while back, (so long ago in fact that I no longer remember where), was that a co-worker had seen something on the news about a murder on Ferrand Drive or something like that. She was instantly worried that it might be Janet. Then she sent an e-mail to her to check on her, and decided to go over to the house the next morning. Can anyone give us the full story of how it actually occured because I can't remember the exact details.

Jenifred said:
Ooh, and is it possible Raven could have started using Janet's email account after the murder? But he also could have just gone to any free email site and set up his own dummy account. I was just thinking out loud and found the flaws myself--nevermind.
Could Raven have been doing something shady under Janet's account? Or would Raven have gone so far as to send e-mails to Janet, somehow pretending as if he was a threatening stranger, to set up this crime?

I think that mysteriew also has a good point. Perhaps LE is looking at any friends with whom Janet may have had contact. SES' link, later than the original, stated that LE will not discuss what they have found, (implying that they have indeed found something?), and that they are not eliminating anyone as a suspect. Very curious all of a sudden.

JerseyGirl said:
SES' link, later than the original, stated that LE will not discuss what they have found, (implying that they have indeed found something?), and that they are not eliminating anyone as a suspect. Very curious all of a sudden.
But don't you remember too (before this forum was a forum) that NCBanker said that Raven had been cleared? Maybe this detective is just driving home the point that no one has been cleared--including the husband.

JerseyGirl said:
Could Raven have been doing something shady under Janet's account? Or would Raven have gone so far as to send e-mails to Janet, somehow pretending as if he was a threatening stranger, to set up this crime?
You know, I was thinking about this too. Maybe they also want to see how many times Janet's account was accessed after her death. Although this might be a dead end--my husband knows my passwords to my accounts and can get into them without any trouble (I don't have anything to hide anyway). Wonder if Janet knew his (like I do my husband's).

JerseyGirl said:

I think that mysteriew also has a good point. Perhaps LE is looking at any friends with whom Janet may have had contact. SES' link, later than the original, stated that LE will not discuss what they have found, (implying that they have indeed found something?), and that they are not eliminating anyone as a suspect. Very curious all of a sudden.
Ewww good thinking JG. If this murder was committed by raven and was premeditated, he could have very well set that up knowing LE would look at his and Janet's computer activity.............OR...........he had no idea LE would get a hold of his computer activity and he did something really stupid. Either way, it doesn't look real good for mr. abaroa UNLESS they find nothing suspicious and they are back to square 1 and desperately looking for something??

What I can't understand is why it took so long to get raven's DNA and his computer activity records. Doesn't that seem like something you would do within the first few weeks??

JerseyGirl said:
Suppose that the laptop was never really stolen, and was instead hidden away somewhere. Would LE be able to see that the accounts were accessed from the allegedly stolen laptop or is that impossible?
Yes, it is indeed possible, if they subpoena their Internet Service Provider (ie aol, sbcglobal, netzero, comcast cable, etc.)

Each time you go on the internet you are issued an IP address. The IP address is issued by the ISP. IP addresses can be changed, if you use a router, and unplug it, on AOL, each session is with a different IP.

Short Lesson on IP's below:

(An identifier for a computer or device on a TCP/IP network. Networks using the TCP/IP protocol route messages based on the IP address of the destination. The format of an IP address is a 32-bit numeric address written as four numbers separated by periods. Each number can be zero to 255. For example, 1.160.10.240 could be an IP address. Within an isolated network, you can assign IP addresses at random as long as each one is unique. However, connecting a private network to the Internet requires using registered IP addresses (called Internet addresses) to avoid duplicates.

The four numbers in an IP address are used in different ways to identify a particular network and a host on that network. Four regional Internet registries -- ARIN, RIPE NCC, LACNIC and APNIC -- assign Internet addresses from the following three classes.

Class A - supports 16 million hosts on each of 126 networks
Class B - supports 65,000 hosts on each of 16,000 networks
Class C - supports 254 hosts on each of 2 million networks
The number of unassigned Internet addresses is running out, so a new classless scheme called CIDR is gradually replacing the system based on classes A, B, and C and is tied to adoption of IPv6.)

Anyhow...did you get that? So, therefore, though they subpoenaed Google to get information off their gmail accounts, there is still the fact that their ISP (Internet Service Provider) needs to be subpoenaed, which we all know they had to do.

That is a more drawn out subpoena/warrant type deal and does take longer to get those records.

It will show EACH WEBSITE the IP (personal id number) for their account that they went to. However, if Raven or Janet used a friend's computer it wouldn't show up, it would only show activity coming from that person's computer and the police would not even know to subpoena that IP from the ISP.

If and when the LE subpoenas the information from the ISP, they will then know exactly WHAT SITES Raven & Janet visited in whatever time frame they designated in their warrant/subpoeana.

If let's say, Raven came home at 10:30 - and called the police at whatever time he called, they can tell if the Laptop was used at anytime after Janet's murder, if it was hooked up still and he used it. If he accessed the Laptop after Janet's murder somewhere ELSE, and he used his ISP to log in his IP would still be recorded, depending on how he logged in and what ISP he used to connect to the internet.
----
No SES jokes please lol. sorry it was so long winded.

I think they're onto so much more, and this is just the beginning of the case finally breaking!

You explained it very well, term!

Terminatrixator, thank you SO much for your explanation! I'm still not real clear on how that works - I think I'll have to read it again in the morning after a good night's rest. I'm kind of slow with technical things! (No jokes please. :) )

Another thought - perhaps LE is checking to see if either Janet or Raven were receiving any threats. Maybe Raven has given LE information of which we aren't aware, and they are trying to verify that.

I was initially very excited by this news. But now, I'm more confused than ever. Hard to believe, huh? :waitasec:

LOL you are welcome, it's lots of things, but truthfully, I doubt Raven gave LE anything but a smug look that basically was the bird.

I haven't paid any attention to this case in the past several weeks - mainly because of heavy workload and 3rd baby. I was watching the news tonight and saw the update indicating that LE is looking into the email accounts. I'm so pleased that they're not letting this fall between the cracks. Someone mentioned a few posts up about me stating that LE had cleared Raven. LET ME SAY FOR THE LAST TIME: At that particular time, they had no physical evidence tying him to the crime. Circumstances can certainly change. I've said this previously. It was at THAT PARTICULAR TIME that he wasn't a Suspect or POI, because they had nothing to go on. Let's hope they uncover something with the email investigation. I still think about this case often, and think about many of you. I hope everyone is doing well. Take care. NCB

NCB, it's so good to see you! I hope you're all doing well, and savoring every second with the baby!

Yeah, we are. It's interesting learning how to juggle 3!

JerseyGirl said:
NCB, it's so good to see you! I hope you're all doing well, and savoring every second with the baby!

NCBanker said:
Yeah, we are. It's interesting learning how to juggle 3!
3 is a lot different than two, that's for sure! We waited ten years to have number 3 so there are a lot of hands here to help us out. I don't know if I could have done 3 little ones at the same time ... I'm exhausted with just one little one around!!! Good luck to all of you ... and please check in with us whenever you have the time.

I hope to be speaking with some "inside" folks this week, so perhaps I'll have something to share...

hmm, I waited 10 years to have the second...now I have 3! yup, it's crazy but fun! Congrats again, NCB!

I totally believe that LE has more than they're telling us. Google is not an internet service provider, however, they've got records of where you and I have been searching along with everyone and their dog...er, Raven. Look at what happened with Scott Peterson, they found what he was searching for....I really think they're onto something with this.

I think Raven's internet service provider will be subpoenaed (sp! it's late!) too.

good job to the new detective assigned to the case :clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back