DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What is your experience with bullies?

• I was bullied as a child.

Votes: 205 66.6%
  • I was a bully as a child.

Votes: 27 8.8%
  • My children/child is/has been bullied.

Votes: 92 29.9%
  • My children/child has been/is a bully.

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I personally have not been bullied, but a close friend or family member was/is.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • I have no personal experience with bullies.

Votes: 27 8.8%
  • I am currently being bullied.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • No answer/Other/Prefer not to answer.

Votes: 11 3.6%

• Total voters
I am so sorry rpipergirl. :hug: I remember being being the outcast at school and the teachers ignoring the teasing and bullying. Whenever I start feeling bad remembering all those years..I think of how horrible the bully's own life must be, to treat other people that way. I guess alot of it stems from their problems at home, and learning or being bullied by parents/siblings. It's really hard to forgive someone when you know they aren't sorry..i'm still working on it.

TY,foryourwine, I agree completely. Those kids had other stuff going on. So, as an adult I have to pitty them.
Th teachers I admired most were my 4th grade ,6th grade, metal shop (RIP) and 8th grade reading. Also my sped teachers Mrs. Gaddes Elm. school and Mrs. Anderson High school. Mrs Gaddes used to let me hide under her window at recess to not be beat up. Mrs Anderson took no guff. MY 8th grade reading teacher made us a unit in our class of 6 4 boys 2 girls. 1 boy was diagnosed with cancer that year and died the day after his 19th birthday. My 4th and 6th grade teachers (both men) believed in me. I will never forget that and how good they made me feel about me. TY Mr. McKeon and Mr.Phelps.

I'm new to this forum and am very relieved to have found this topic as my fifteen yr old daughter was bullied by adults last summer and I'm still seething with anger. She was involved in a sports summer camp held by the high school softball coach. While at this camp, she asked another girl for her phone number thinking that they might get together during the summer to shop, see movies, hang-out...be typical kids. Other girls overheard my daughter & the other gal talking and decided that since they believe my daughter gives off "vibes" of being bisexual, they needed to report their conversation to the coach handling the summer camp. He, in turn, reported all of this to my daughter's traveling coach, who again in turn, pulled my husband aside at a game to report on our daughter's "conduct"!!! When my husband told me, I was so stunned and so angry that two grown men who are suppose to be mature examples for young adults would stoop as low as what they did, I couldn't see straight.
I wanted to immediately call a meeting with both coaches and discuss their conduct and report the conduct of the high school coach to the school administrators but needless to say my husband & daughter didn't want me to. They were afraid that I would ruin my daughter's chances of making the team this year. Well, I sat back and did nothing ...and my daughter didn't make the team. While that bothers me because I know how much she wanted to play ball, I'm more angry at myself for not stepping up to the plate for my child. My daughter and I are very close; she's unsure about her sexuality and I've assured her that I love her for being the person she is. I really couldn't ask for a better daughter. I'm just so upset with myself for not taking the bull by the horns and addressing the problem. How dare adults bully a child! No wonder kids can be as mean as what they are...these two coaches are perfect examples of bad people, IMO.

I became moderately to profoundly deaf in early childhood, apparently as the result of some illness, but my deafness wasn't diagnosed until I was 16. I became an expert lip reader without any training (or any real awareness that I was reading lips) and the adults apparently didn't know what was wrong with me. I was smarter than most of the other kids in my rural town, so I could keep up with them academically, but I was a loner, an odd-ball kid, and an attractive target for bullies. I think I was bullied every week, if not every day, that I attended school from the first grade until around the sixth grade. I remember many times being afraid to walk home from school because two guys would be waiting for me, to beat me up. I remember an older boy coming up behind me in the boys' room, liquid soap cupped in his hands, and clapping his hands over my eyes, filling them with soap. I remember a bigger boy who enjoyed holding me down on the playground and drooling into my face. I remember being jabbed with sharp pencils, hit with icy snowballs, hit with thrown rocks, etc. I find it interesting that I can recall all these things with no strong emotions. It seemed perfectly normal when I was growing up that I should be picked on. I never was even aware that I was being "bullied." It was just the way the world was. I'm now old enough to be a grandfather and I can honestly say that I wouldn't wish childhood on anyone. I have no children of my own (although I helped raise a wonderful step-daughter), and I never wanted to have children -- but I'll admit that I've always wanted to want to have children. Maybe next time?

I was bullied in middle school. I was short, scrawny and nerdy. And my mom made me wear these ugly old lady glasses on top of it. Every morning at the bus stop, a group of boys would say horrible things and throw rocks at me. Same in the afternoon. I went to a school that was predominantly black, so being white made me stand out and not fit in well. Which was strange because I'd been going to school with 3/4 of these same kids since kindergarten and they'd been my friends then. I got locked in bathrooms in the locker room and had disgusting things thrown on top of my clothes during gym.

The teachers didn't care- that place was an overcrowded zoo. They had bigger problems like gang and bomb threats to deal with. I don't remember how many time we were evacuated from school while I went there.

We ended up moving after my father had a bad car accident to a different state. I became a totally different person over the summer but I'm not sure it would have mattered. I wasn't bullied anymore, and I haven't been since. I don't let it affect me now. Sure, I went home crying a lot but to me now it seems like such a small thing. One of the guys who was one of the bullies is my brother in laws best friend and I talk to him quite a bit. I tease him all the time about throwing rocks at me and calling me names and he's apologized and genuinely feels bad for doing it. Really though, the boys were the least of it- 12 year old boys calling names and throwing small rocks was nothing compared to the nastiness the girls put me through.

[QUOTE=TXangel;5114171 I went to a school that was predominantly black, so being white made me stand out and not fit in well.
----------------------------------------------------

I find this interesting because my son, who has very fair skin, freckles and red hair, is being bullied about his skin color by darker-skinned children because they are the larger population in this particular school.

Seems to me that there are bullies in every race, gender, etc. and bullies will use any advantage they have to be cruel.
----------------------------------------------------
Now, in my childhood, I was bullied by girls who were the same race as I was, but accrued some kind of advantage over me. So, I would say that it varies from one population to another and the particular power differential.

I'd really like to know why children are allowed free reign over our schools?

Parents and school administrators are frightened of parents stomping over to the schools and throwing fits because their little angels couldn't have done anything wrong and the school is just picking on them.

Back in the day, at least in my home, if you were in trouble at school, you were in trouble double at home. I have noticed for a number of years a disturbing trend of parents making excuses for their children and teaching them that if you throw a big enough fit you will excape consequences. In other words, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and school officials are afraid of their bullying parents.

I certainly have to agree with you, tlcox. Not only are school administrators scared of parents but, in my opinion,some members of school staffs are just as guilty as the students when it comes to singling out those students who may not fit the popular cliques or the perfect mold. My younger daughter is an excellent example; she's somewhat alternative in musical tastes & dress style and of course, as she's explained to me, she gives off that "vibe" that tends to bother people. I've had adults at the school and even (adult) friends say, "wow, she's so different than your older daughter, doesn't this worry you?" I've learned to smile and reply that I love my daughters BECAUSE OF their individuality & differences.
It's a sad world when as a parent you have to defend the love you have for your children.

in my opinion,some members of school staffs are just as guilty as the students when it comes to singling out those students who may not fit the popular cliques or the perfect mold

This is definitely true. I once had a teacher tell me that I was "ridiculous looking". It certainly does have effect on your self esteem.

I was bullied mercilessly all through school. I started off as a good student and there was even talk that I was above average intelligence. I used to enjoy reading but constant harassment over wanting to learn saw a gradual decline in my grades from year 10 onwards and I just didn't care any more.

I think the Phoebe Prince case has opened some old wounds and it's got me pretty fired up. I really don't know how the hell I've survived this long. She had it for three months, try getting it for 12 years. It stunts your social skills and the problems continue on to adult hood.

There's plenty of times I've considered the alternative that Phoebe took, but I've decided that I'm too gutless to do it but I've spent the last 25 years feeling utterly worthless and distrusting of people.

One of the main reasons I was bullied was that I was overweight and extremely awkward physically. As soon as I was old enough to leave home I did something about it and got myself fit, it's weird how people now appear to be jealous because "it's so easy for you", coming from people struggling with their weight. I just want to laugh at it.

Since I've lost weight, I've done OK with female attention and have had a few relationships but because of my distrust of people I just cant commit or worse still work up the courage to ask out someone nice. Girls at school used to tell me I was disgusting and it's hard to get that out of my head. I'd like to have gotten married, people tell me I'd have been a good dad but it's getting too late now for me.

I have had the odd occasion when I've attracted negative attention but at least these days in the workplace there's steps you can take to deal with it. There's none of that at school, I can really empathise with Phoebe's situation where the school did nothing about it, the cliques where the kids who perpetrated this and the support of their friends, remind me of my home town. The best thing I did was get the hell out and move to another city.

It's hard to not feel like I deserve it somehow, people kept doing it and the bullies were popular, so they must be right?

I'm almost into my mid-40s and despite all the damage that's been done, I'm trying to at least achieve something so I've gone to university as a mature age student and have started to recapture the love for study that I lost. After 25 years of menial jobs where I knew I was capable of more despite the put downs of pathetic managers who had no qualifications themselves. I'm hoping it's not too late.

I wasn't bullied, but I did go after the bullies - well into my 20s...had a lot of anger issues (different story) but only manifested it when the weak were picked on in my presence. I didn't care who the bully was - boy, girl, man, woman...I went after them all. The last fist fight I got into was many moons ago, outside of a bar a guy hit his girlfriend and knocked her to the ground...I didn't care why, just jumped on him, and all the while (doin my thing to him), yelled "didn't your mother teach you to not hit girls?????????"

I don't do that stuff any more, anger issues have been resolved (for my son's sake I hope!) - but it sure helped back then because I am only 5'2"...The old saying is true - The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

I now have a 12-yr. old son - I REALLY hope he is not bullied (for my sake) or that he doesn't become a bully (for his sake).

My prayers to all who have suffered from bullies - But most of the time they WILL get what is coming to them...

PMLsmom, I hope my daughter has a "guardian angel" like you, at school, because I know she takes alot of "flack" for being an individual.

PMLsmom, I hope my daughter has a "guardian angel" like you, at school, because I know she takes alot of "flack" for being an individual.

I was quite the loner, basically didn't (and still don't) care what anyone thought of me. I had WAY too much grown-up cr*p going on at home to worry about the sorry, immature saps at school (I'd been through two lifetimes by the time I was 16). I tell my son and his friends life begins AFTER high school...Just keep it together until then. Just look at me :)

Have your daughter look for that (adult-through-circumstances in a kid's body) loner. Often they will be not what they appear...

I am a twin...female with a male twin. A little info might be needed for some...there is ALWAYS a dominant twin. ALWAYS. And although I am the female and born after him (a little unusual on both points) I am the dominant twin. I "spoke" for the both of us for our first 3-4 year....drove our mom NUTZ!!! I don't mean I was a bully to him or that he couldn't talk...he could but let me make all of "our" decisions. Okay, all of this, to let you in on that my brother was a more sensitive type and painfully shy. And he was literally my wing man until 3rd grade. Had to sit beside me and heaven forbid if I got sick and couldn't go to school...well he didn't either....COULDN'T take the thought of being there without me to look out for him. It should be obvious to you now that he was an easy target. He was. It was horrible and to have your twin SISTER fight your battles for you???? Just added to the fire....it was a lose/lose situation. One day on the bus ride home ( we were like 13-14 at this point)....after the same kids picking on him until he cried...I remember walking the block home and told him.....Quit being weak in front of them. I was angry because it seemed to be a pattern to me...they wanted to make him cry and then he did. I said tomorrow expect them to say something, say the same things...except this time you don't react.... see yourself just blowing it off...why do you care what they think...they are *advertiser censored**holes....
I don't want to write a book here but it worked. Not magically overnight but what happened that day something changed in my brother. I said it is okay that words hurt but you don't have to let them ever know that. You give them power when they can see that it upset you. Stop doing that. After these bullies couldn't get a rise or make him cry my brother was no longer a target. At our 20th HS reunion the main bully came up to my brother and tried to make light of all of the crap he put my brother through and I was so proud of my brother. He said that was a long time ago, I hope we are both different people now. I know I am.

BTW...my brother owns his own business and very successful with it. If you met him now you would say I made all of the painfully shy,sensitive guy stuff up!

:waitasec: Hmmm, not sure how to answer the pole...I bullied the bully's! Lol, If someone was being picked on I was never afraid to follow them home on their bus and 'teach them a lesson'...I was afraid when I would have to call my Mom to come pick me up from other areas of town and explain why I was there!

First, I had moments in middle school where I was bullied by my own "friends". I had a habit of always worring about them being upset with me and kept asking things like, What's Wrong? Are you mad? They liked to pretend to be mad and ignore me for days on end to "teach" me a lesson. They would tease me about my clothers, calling them flood pants, etc and about my weight. Nicknames with full of jelly comes to mind. I luckily got pretty involved in high school sports before middle school was over, and it really changed my life. I had lost a lot of weight, had good, close, caring friends. Even today, when on the old "friends" asked me to be her friend on FB, I was shocked!!

Now what do you think of this scenario? My son, who is in first grade, is diagnosed with ADD and was still learning to control outbursts, etc. At the time of this posting, he is doing really well. However, Kindergarten was terrible for him and us. Multiple color changes per day, rarely participated in recess due to those color changes, did not make friends, was "that" kid who was always in trouble. We were in the midst of trying many different things, hoping to avoid medicine. At the end of the year, I sat in my bedroom one day with my head in my hands, crying for this beautiful child, not understanding why he was making his life so hard. We decided to go ahead with the medicine. As many know, it takes quite a while to find the medicine that fits the person. I was also still worried he was just a little immature. He is the youngest in his class. However, by midsummer, he really was doing great. Playing with his older brother and friends without the screaming outbursts and other things. First Grade started and I thought I had a new child. He was actually smiling. But then I noticed some changes after a few months. The med wasn't helping any longer. And THEN, he had an outburst at school. He scratched another child enough to make him bleed. I was so mad, embarrassed, sad for the other child and his parents, scared for my son, and even a little sad for him knowing he was hurting himself also. When speaking to him, he told my how the little boy took the crayon he was using. It was so hard trying to explain to him well enough to understand the hurt he had caused. Finally, I put out my arm and said, show me. Show Mommy how you scratched the little boy. And then his eyes got wide and he said NO Mommy, I don't want to hurt you. I said, I don't think you wanted to hurt that boy either. You can't handle things that way, etc. With changes in meds over this year, he is doing really well. The point of my story? Sorry! They put him in inschool suspension, marked a discipline sheet as bullying to go in his file for the rest of his school career. This is the rule since Columbine. And I agree somewhat, and disagree somewhat. I completely agree with the punishment by the school and the punishment we gave him, but what are your thoughts on the bullying charge?

I disagree with the bullying charge because bullying is about control, intimidation, usually "backed up" by a group, and this seemed like a normal kid dispute over a crayon. This tells me that school officials still don't "get it".

That is kind of how I felt. It's a tough road for sure. It's hard to admit your child hit/scratched someone! But I think the school appreciates how involved we've been with helping our son.

This is an informative and often heart wrenching thread. I am so sorry for anyone that has been hurt by nasty people.

Gootta say Karma Girl and I must be sister's from another Mister. I was just like her. I loathed mean, rotten people. It helps alot if you're popular and you stand up for someone being bullies. A usual "What in the he*l would make you do that to her? She's not bothering you so leave her alone" works well.

I had a sibling who was torutred. That's in my opinion. Anyone that gets called names and made fun of every single day at school and the walk to and from I believe is bullied. Never mind if they are big enough to just blow the eople off by saying "They're just a bunch of no class people and they will become nobody and I am somebody". No, I want to punch their lights out. It never helped my sibling always put his umbrella in that little sleave ya get with nice umbrellas and his idea of fun was the art museum as a kid.

Meanwhile I was taught to be a LADY. Not like Gaga either. I was to conduct myself in a ladylike manner. Pffffffffftttt. Somebody would pick on my sibling I'd be at it. Then my mom would be told by a neighbor I was fighting boys again and she'd punish me. Then my dad would come in from work and say "I heard you beat the Sullivan kid up today, huh?" I'd shake my head yes and my dad would smile and say "That's my girl".

Conflicting much?

Sadly my DD was tortured relentlessly. It broke my heart. I told her young if you don't take action it will never stop and it didn't. She would never fight back like my sibling. It tore me up. My dad would tell her to turn around and punch that kid in the mouth who ripped your dress like that. Nope. She said the rule was no fighting. This is from second grade on. Cause me alot ofpain.

Then I got a call when she was a Junior in high school from the Principal. My DD stood up in the middle of class got a huge textbook and knocked the girl behind her out of her desk. She then calmly apologized to the teacher for interrupting and sat back down. The evidence was marker all over the back of her blosue and uniform and the Principal told me "Hey, after all this time I'd guess I'd knock somebody out of their desk as well". Let's forget this shal we? She says.

That ended my DD's bullying. Too bad she didn't do that in second grade.

Phewwwwwwwww, cathartic.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, it is therapeutic in some ways. I was bullied over a span of about 4 years beginning in the 7th grade. I think 8th grade was the worst point though, as I really had no friends at all because of it. I was in a large school, too. I was teased for being effeminate. I think that part of that reason was because I was a late bloomer as far as puberty is concerned for males. My voice and growth spurt did not happen until high school. I was called a , queer, a myriad of derogatory names associated with homosexuality. I was teased, kicked, spit on.

My saving grace, was my 8th grade English teacher. She was an older black woman, who was very intelligent. She would have mandatory detention for students that were being punished during the hour lunch period that we had. Since I had no friends, I would sit with her voluntarily during detention and eat my lunch and we would talk and eat our lunch together. I recollect that this occurred over a four month period. I had told my parents and told the students to please stop and leave me alone. I dont think that my parents really understood the severity of the situation, and the bullies of course, did not leave me alone. One day, it was just the two of us eating together (myself and my teacher), and I just broke down and cried. I explained everything to her, and she called everyone of those boys and girls into her room after lunch, and everything stopped for the last two months of the semester. I would still eat lunch with her, but she was my one true friend that year, and Ill never forget her or what she did for me. She is an Angel.

I think what was harder, was while I was teased in high school, it was never as bad as it was in 8th grade. It was very hard though, when I actually did "come out" as gay to myself later in high school of having to reconcile who I was, as opposed to the nasty names people were calling me. And of course, after you are out of high school, you realize that the world is a bigger place than the limited social atmosphere in which you were exposed during those years. There were times when it was so bad though, you just think that there is nothing beyond the grayness of it all. So, if you are a parent of a child that is going through it, encourage your child that there are bigger things in life than what goes on in school, even though it is a large part of their life at the given moment.

However, later on, I did manage to work at a job with one of the bullies, and the first thing that he did was apologize to me for the way that he treated me. He was the only one that ever did, and we are still friends. So, I even agree that bullies can change, too, if they have the an open outlook. I know that I am different because of it, I am introverted, and I dont make friends easily or have a large group of friends, but I am a bit reserved and enjoy a smaller group of friends, but maybe that is just my personality.

Anyway, just my input. I hope that it helps others, that's why Im sharing it....and, it kinda helped me too, talking about it....free therapy! :)

I grew up in a tough community, so learned very early on how "not to be bullied", without even thinking of being an actual bullier.

Fast forward to growing up and having my own kids-----bullying is not even in our vocabulary because both mum and dad will NOT allow it. Might be a gene thing too, though, because the "bullying" problem has never come up in our home. My kids seemed to have just inherited the "protect others from bullying" gene. For that, I am very
thankful.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webslide