GUILTY Portugal - Casa Pia Orphanage, child sex ring scandal, 2002

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that could have made it better, would have been 18 years PER verdict! 18x 600+ would have been just!!

I just sent the links to our local DA and we were both ecstatic about the convictions. She pointed out the shortness of the sentences to me, however. My reply was that victims so desperately crave just being believed that we usually are celebrating the convictions so excitedly that it takes us a while for the sentencing length to sink in. Most victims don't want vengeance or blood. They want to be listened to. They want someone to apologize for past hurts.

Yes, as a society, we need to push for longer sentences as we know that these men will offend again. Tonight, however, I know that these men are resting easier and are feeling vindicated and validated. I am blown away by their courage to speak out and not give up. Sadly, their fight is not over but let's not tell them that tonight.

May God bless them and keep them strong.

omg in orphanages - nothing like kicking them while they're down!
how do these disgusting pigs find each other?!

The convicted men are calling it a vendetta and saying this has ruined their lives.

Not half so much as the boys they abused. Sickening.

Thank you for quoting the victims, Missizzy! I hope they can put this past them, heal and have a bright future.

I didn't realize that many of the men are free awaiting an appeal. There's even a comment about the SOL running out on some of the cases. Does anyone know if this could affect the original filing date of a charge? Surely, surely not!!

It's especially interesting to me that the ringleader, the orphanage driver/gardener, pleaded guilty to 639 counts. If he's confessed, I wouldn't think that the others have much hope of winning on appeal. Can anyone imagine how many actual victims there were. Over 800 people testified. It is beyond belief that the woman who provided the house for the abuse was not convicted.

My heart breaks for these victims. And remember, many of them have no family. That's why they were in the orphanage. I know that they believed that the convictions would be the "end". We know it's not.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...gals-highsociety-paedophile-ring-2070112.html

Guilty after six-year trial, Portugal's high-society paedophile ring

Politicians among abusers who preyed on state-run orphanages

I wish there were more families like your family in the world, Missizzy...

That's very kind, ceschott, thank you. These young men and their ordeal have touched me deeply. They were so vulnerable and their innocence was stolen by a group of wealthy and powerful men with sick lust for children. It breaks my heart that they don't have mothers or fathers to hold them today. I had a dear friend tell me that the Portuguese word for "cheers" or "to your health" is "saúde".

I plan to have a toast to those young men tonight. Bless each of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member