Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/apr/02/just-defiance-peter-harris-review

A Just Defiance is constructed as a courtroom drama. Harris alternates the gripping account of the Delmas Four's trial with the stories of the guerrillas themselves, and holds the whole thing together with a bomb that explodes, tragically, on the last page. At times he affects a laconic Philip Marlowesque drawl, inflected with a clear affection for South African vernacular, and he curls his lip impressively at the cruelty of the apartheid state: the prison wardens are "sad people who find comfort in the camaraderie of procedure", and the state prosecutor is "tough, hard and blow-dried", her "hair coiffed severely back, ten thousand volts through each strand."

"...the state prosecutor is "tough, hard and blow-dried", ...ten thousand volts through each strand."

Nel has a twin sister? Who knew?

O/T Leigh-Anne Jansen @LA_JANSEN • 4m 4 minutes ago

#DewaniTrial A Sec. 174 application has apparently been submitted for the discharge of this trial

The DT intend submitting an application for a Section 174 discharge and will submit filed heads by close of business on Friday.

Looks like SD will be walking.

Yup ...and I feel ill.

I think he's guilty as sin. (Why? Just my opinion.)

Were I in Annie's family, I wouldn't know how to begin to come to terms with it.

Thank you Colonel, I have worked with a number of industrial narcissists, and have just gone online and purchased this book. Look forward to reading it.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I think it's fascinating topic - and accurate. Watching that behavior at work and/or being a victim of it leads most people who are not socio- psycho-paths to, sooner or later, leave their jobs -- or they are maliciously forced out. That's how the "Snakes in Suits" remain and continually move up.

I once taught at a research university, the faculty of which, I soon realized, was entirely self-selecting. The joke on campus was:

"How can you tell who the 'good' faculty are?"

"They're the ones we're having good-bye parties for."​

I preferred keeping my heart and soul, rather than sell-out for the sake of my career, so I'm proud to count myself among those who weren't there very long.

Good morning to everybody here!
I haven't been here for a while... Estelle (I think it was her) had the good idea to make me discovering the Jodi Arias trial. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent viewing the videos and reading about the case on WS. It absorbed me completely and I'm still spechless today about the evilness JA incarnates.
The result is that I don't remember what are the upcoming events concerning OP.:thinking:
We are waiting for a decision concerning the appeal of the PT, aren't we?
Would anybody be so kind and refresh my recollection concerning the schedule?
:gthanks:
It's so good you're all here!!!

The trial of a South African woman, Tania Clarence, for the killing of her three children is taking place in England right now (she entered a guilty plea in a deal with the crown/state). Following the closing arguments Friday, the tweets died away after 2.30pm. I have grown so accustomed to all the early finishes in the Oscar trial I just presumed they'd adjourned for the weekend. They actually kept going until gone five and I managed to miss it all!

Interestingly, the judge in England is expected to announce the sentence by Tuesday or even Monday. Even though there are also questions over mental health, as there were with Oscar. The speed compared to OP's trial is amazing. When Clarence grew very emotional, as OP did, she was just allowed to leave and proceedings carried on without her.

It's O/T and I don't want to seem picky, but this is not a trial, it is a sentencing hearing. A very sad case. The children all had a life-limiting disability.

Last month the Crown Prosecution Service accepted Clarence's guilty plea to the manslaughter of the three children by reason of diminished responsibility.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...social-worker-was-reassigned-court-hears.html

BBM .. I noticed that too, and as well as what you've said there about it usually being a signal to allow either a pedestrian or car to go in front of you .. how about actually slowing down and trying to avoid the pedestrian if you see someone acting strangely up ahead of you .. you don't just plough on regardless, flashing your lights at them :facepalm:

I quite agree. People do flash their lights to invite people to go in front, but doing that in a UK driving test will count towards a failure. Flashing lights, according to the Highway Code, is a warning to let people know you are there, and it shouldn't be used as an invitation. But people will do it, and so it's ambiguous and one should always proceed cautiously.

Edit: .. this was definitely her (Kruger's) car and Kruger driving, wasn't it? (and not OP driving, then getting someone else to take the rap for it? .. nothing would surprise me any more .. but then, seeing as Pistorius himself was so adamant about the reporter not taking photos, etc, we will never have any proof either way).

Funny, that's exactly what crossed my mind too. I wonder where he sprang from so suddenly? He must have been in the car, surely, although there's no mention of that unless I missed it.

I quite agree. People do flash their lights to invite people to go in front, but doing that in a UK driving test will count towards a failure. Flashing lights, according to the Highway Code, is a warning to let people know you are there, and it shouldn't be used as an invitation. But people will do it, and so it's ambiguous and one should always proceed cautiously.

Funny, that's exactly what crossed my mind too. I wonder where he sprang from so suddenly? He must have been in the car, surely, although there's no mention of that unless I missed it.

surely he had to be in the car, or in his own car [in front or following]

annie kruger
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...-arrives-at-the-pretoria-news-photo/162195126
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...pistoruis-arrives-at-the-news-photo/169898175

in-site management
http://in-site.co.za/?page_id=4

BBM .. I noticed that too, and as well as what you've said there about it usually being a signal to allow either a pedestrian or car to go in front of you .. how about actually slowing down and trying to avoid the pedestrian if you see someone acting strangely up ahead of you .. you don't just plough on regardless, flashing your lights at them :facepalm:

Edit: .. this was definitely her (Kruger's) car and Kruger driving, wasn't it? (and not OP driving, then getting someone else to take the rap for it? .. nothing would surprise me any more .. but then, seeing as Pistorius himself was so adamant about the reporter not taking photos, etc, we will never have any proof either way).

the article says that the photos were later recovered... which i can confirm is easy to do after deletion.

the article says that the photos were later recovered... which i can confirm is easy to do after deletion.

.. that's useful to know .. how do you do it though, because on my camera, once you delete it it's gone forever! (or so I thought!) .. there's nothing at all saved on the memory card ..

.. that's useful to know .. how do you do it though, because on my camera, once you delete it it's gone forever! (or so I thought!) .. there's nothing at all saved on the memory card ..

you will need third party software...
something like wondershare

i guess the cost is directly linked to the value of what you have deleted. best recovery is achieved sooner rather than later. i.e. before you have overwritten the space with new images.

also explained here...
http://www.canon-photo-recovery.com/

I noticed Kruger said she flashed her lights to 'warn' the pedestrian. In many places, that's used as a signal for a driver to tell a pedestrian, 'It's okay, I'm letting you cross.'
OP just seems to attract 'unfortunate incidents', doesn't he?

BBM - I've never heard of "flashing your lights" used as a message to pedestrians one way or the other.

In the States flashing your headlights is a warning to oncoming drivers that they might need to slowdown as they're approaching a concealed police car using radar to catch speeders, or police are on side of road having pulled a driver over, or that there's a wreck up ahead of them. If the oncoming drivers understand the warning, they're "flash" back to acknowledge. On the interstates, long-haul truckers always seem to understand the warning.

It would be nice if one of our prized @SA posters would step in here and confirm that Kruger was sending the correct signals to the pedestrian.

Annie Kruger is his cousin? So that's yet another of the family who has killed somebody.

well, it is not confirmed. could be another popular name in pretoria. could be another coincidence.

Carl Pistorius @carlpistorius Oct 21
Buddy, your self righteousness or money wont save you @realDonaldTrump - time to consider eternity.

A rich guy calling out another rich guy for self-righteousness and money.

Hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member