Powerful earthquake hits Morocco, killing at least 2,901 people, 8 Sept 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Sep 08, 2023 10:22 PM EDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
''A rare, powerful earthquake struck Morocco late Friday night, killing more than 800 people and damaging buildings from villages in the Atlas Mountains to the historic city of Marrakech. But the full toll was not known as rescuers struggled to get through boulder-strewn roads to the remote mountain villages that were hit hardest.

People woken by the quake ran into the streets in terror and disbelief. State television showed people clustered in the streets of Marrakech late at night, afraid to go back inside buildings that might still be unstable.

The magnitude-6.8 quake was the biggest to hit Morocco in 120 years, toppling buildings and walls in ancient cities made from stone and masonry that was not designed to withstand such shocks. ''

• ''Most of the dead are in hard-to reach mountain areas - official
  • Quake topples minaret in Marrakech old city
  • People flee houses in Casablanca, Rabat, elsewhere
  • Deadliest earthquake since 1960, USGS records show
AMIZMIZ, Morocco, Sept 9 (Reuters) - A powerful earthquake in Morocco has killed more than 800 people and injured hundreds more, the country's deadliest tremor in more than six decades, toppling houses in remote mountain villages where rescuers dug through rubble for survivors.

The magnitude 7.2 quake struck in Morocco's High Atlas mountains late on Friday night. The Interior Ministry said 820 people had been killed and another 672 injured. Most of the fatalities are in mountainous areas outside Marrakech, the nearest city to the epicentre, its updated toll showed.''

''Sep 9, 2023
Footage from Marrakech shows the moment a powerful earthquake struck late on Friday night, killing hundreds of people and damaging buildings.''

'Sep 9, 2023 #breakingnews #latestnews #morocco
The horrific earthquake shook Morocco, and killed more than 600 people More than 300 people have suffered injuries. The tremors were felt as far as Spain and Portugal.'

My daughter is on business at a hotel in Marrakech, not far from the old city. She’s been traveling with stops in Casablanca and Fez and arrived here yesterday.

She is so frightened, she was in her room when it happened and the walls and ceiling and everything shook around her. She texted me last night that they sleeping outside by the pool on lounge chairs.

She’s safe this morning as well as the others at the hotel. She has a planned flight out tomorrow morning from Marrakech if the airport is open and running.

Prayers for Morocco, the entire country is in shock.

Latest headlines:​

One of the reasons I decided to start studying geology last year was earthquakes and volcanoes.
One of my questions being, why do people decide to settle and build cities in these places? (I was studying archaeology simultaneously).
Morocco is not the first area that comes to mind when thinking about earthquakes!
I hope there will not be many more casualties, and that the historical and ancient sites are safe. And @JerseyGirl I hope your daughter has a safe trip back home!

My daughter is on business at a hotel in Marrakech, not far from the old city. She’s been traveling with stops in Casablanca and Fez and arrived here yesterday.

She is so frightened, she was in her room when it happened and the walls and ceiling and everything shook around her. She texted me last night that they sleeping outside by the pool on lounge chairs.

She’s safe this morning as well as the others at the hotel. She has a planned flight out tomorrow morning from Marrakech if the airport is open and running.

Prayers for Morocco, the entire country is in shock.
You must be so worried, wishing your daughter and all the others a quick and safe journey out of there.

Thank you all!

She texted again this morning that engineers deemed her hotel safe so they are allowed back in. They were planning to hike the Atlas Mountains today, she feels very lucky.

I read in another story that it was felt in Spain and Portugal.

In Marrakech, the famous Koutoubia Mosque, built in the 12th century, was damaged, but the extent was not immediately clear. Its 69-meter (226-foot) minaret is known as the “roof of Marrakech.” Moroccans also posted videos showing damage to parts of the famous red walls that surround the old city, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

At least 1,037 people died, mostly in Marrakech and five provinces near the quake’s epicenter, and another 1,204 people were injured, Morocco’s Interior Ministry reported Saturday morning. Of the injured, the ministry wrote, 721 were in critical condition.

Last edited:

''Morocco earthquake latest:​

• At least 2,012 people have been killed and 2,059 injured in a 6.8-magnitude earthquake that hit the North African country of Morocco late Friday.
  • King Mohammed VI of Morocco has mobilized the army's search and rescue teams to find and rescue any survivors, using helicopters and drones.
  • The U.S. Geological Survey said the epicenter was in the Moroccan High Atlas mountain range, about 46 miles southeast of Marrakech.
  • The U.S. Embassy in Rabat, Morocco's capital, extended its condolences to the victims and their families, said it was not aware of any U.S. nationals killed though some may have been injured.
  • NBC News crews are on the ground and reporting from Morocco.''
1694318875589.png
A man carries a cat through the rubble of a partially collapsed mosque on Saturday in Marrakech, Morocco. Carl Court / Getty Images

''Author TaNesha Barnes said last night’s earthquake was like nothing else she had ever felt. The walls of the American’s Marrakech area apartment complex came alive and shook throughout what she described as an achingly long-term temblor.

Afterward neighbors, all physically unharmed, gathered outside, and pretty much stayed there amid frightening aftershocks. The Moroccan people and others with roots in the region couldn’t do much about the destructive wave that pulsed across the geography of North Africa.

But Barnes said the community she now calls home has been a rock for those who need help recovering from the temblor. “People are stocking up to help other people,” she said in a Zoom interview today.

“There’s a sense of love, prayer and sharing,” said Barnes, the CEO of Mwasi Creative Community, which aims to help Black Americans heal from traumatic and often racist and discriminatory experiences through retreats in Morocco.''

The death toll from the devastating earthquake has reached at least 2,901, according to the Moroccan Interior Ministry. The number of people injured has risen to at least 5,530, it said in an update today.

:(

Morocco quake kills entire class of schoolchildren

The Arabic- and French-language teacher returned to Adaseel where she went searching for the children.
She discovered that all 32 - ranging from six to 12 years old - had died.
"I went to the village and started asking about my kids: 'Where is Somaya? Where is Youssef? Where is this girl? Where is that boy?' The answer came hours later: 'They are all dead.'

I am still devastated for those in the High Atlas Mountains. I have been lucky enough to visit twice and it is such a beautiful part of the world, with everyone I met being so friendly and welcoming.

So many deaths, and people's homes turned to rubble. I wish I could go to help but unfortunately I can't. I have instead donated to one of the charities helping in the villages.

I cannot imagine my life changing like that in an instant. Losing your loved ones so unexpectedly. It's just awful.

Sam Metz, October 6, 2023
''AMIZMIZ, Morocco (AP) - Four weeks after an earthquake knocked down much of his neighborhood, Rachid Alachoun now eagerly awaits client calls from the garage where he works on damaged appliances.
The 40-year-old plumber has sporadically found jobs throughout Amizmiz, a town of 14,000 people near the earthquake's epicenter, but there isn't as much work as before.
That could soon change, however, as the community prepares to rebuild. Architects and government adminstrators have surveyed damaged households, writing down the phone numbers of those entitled to emergency rehousing assistance in the near future and rebuilding funds for the longer term.''

''Morocco created a special disaster relief fund three days after the earthquake. It is open to state funds and donations from within and outside Morocco, including from governments and aid groups. Additionally, the International Monetary Fund, which is scheduled to convene for its annual meetings next week in Marrakech, approved a $1.3 billion loan to help Morocco bolster its resilience to natural disasters.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dianthe
Back