Pre-Trial Hearings & Discussion

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is a death penalty case, right, or has the potential to be?

There will be many delays. It will be years before this goes to trial. The defense knows all it can do for her is delay the trial, therefore keeping her alive longer, if it comes to that.

The prosecution and judge will give the defense all the time it asks for when the death penalty is on the table. That's to head off appeal issues if she's convicted and sentenced to death.

At least, that's how it usually goes.
Thank you, KoldKase, for this information that is good to know as well as explains all the delays. ariel

while I can appreciate delays in the case... what is up with all the delays in her arraignment? Psycho sunday school chic hasn't even entered a PLEA YET! (sorry.. nurse frustrated)

i'm in sac too... :)

too bad there's no live feed, but i definitely understand. if that was my baby, i would have wanted to media to go away as soon as i knew they could no longer be beneficial to me by putting her face out there.

Actually, I can understand, too. No one in the family would want to hear all the graphic details on CNN each night. At the same time, it is a high profile case and I can't imagine it will be dropped completely.

My understanding is that the man, Daniel P, who was allegedly poisoned by Melissa is also under a gag order since he might be a witness. We won't be hearing from him.

Glad to know there's someone else in Sacramento. Here's a wild guess for you: the trial may end up being moved here since the attorney is going to ask for a change of venue.

Just speculating out loud :)

~*

Defense in Huckaby case granted delay
By Scott Smith
Record Staff Writer
May 23, 2009 6:00 AM

STOCKTON - Instead of entering a plea on behalf of Tracy's Melissa Huckaby, Deputy Public Defender Sam Behar said in court Friday that he needs more time to consider fresh charges that his client not only murdered an 8-year-old girl but also poisoned two other people.

(continued)
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090523/A_NEWS/905230313/-1/A_NEWS02

And we are not wasting any time getting the thread started here :)

Salem

Defense in Huckaby case granted delay
By Scott Smith
Record Staff Writer
May 23, 2009 6:00 AM

SNIPPED

(continued)
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090523/A_NEWS/905230313/-1/A_NEWS02[/quote

In this link, who is Collette P. that is mentioned? Has anyone heard of her before? Evidently, she is the owner of the silver Cadillac.

Everytime I think this has gotten as complicated and strange as it possibly can, it just gets more and more bizarre.
This is one 'sicko' and dangerous lady (referring to MH).

She lives in the same area of the park as Christian Sinclair, in fact, she might live in the same mobile home, and might be related to him.

This is a death penalty case, right, or has the potential to be?

There will be many delays. It will be years before this goes to trial. The defense knows all it can do for her is delay the trial, therefore keeping her alive longer, if it comes to that.

The prosecution and judge will give the defense all the time it asks for when the death penalty is on the table. That's to head off appeal issues if she's convicted and sentenced to death.

At least, that's how it usually goes.

My guess is 3-4 years until trial, which lasts 6-9 months, followed by conviction and death sentence. Twenty-five to thirty years more until execution. So she could turn sixty before she finally receives justice.

That is just not fair to go on that long. Sandra’s family has suffered enough and will continue to suffer for the loss of their beautiful daughter, sister, grandchild, and niece.

The defense should not be allowed that much time to prepare their case. MH needs to plead guilty; she knows what she has done…

I guess asking a murderer of a child to do the right thing is a ridiculous request…

The defense should not be allowed that much time to prepare their case. MH needs to plead guilty; she knows what she has done…

I guess asking a murderer of a child to do the right thing is a ridiculous request…

Well, it's not in the nature of a psychopath to want to "do the right thing", so to speak.

If MH had a conscience, she'd never have done the things she has, after all.

The Cantu's are suffering the worst. The best thing to do for them at this point is make sure this monster never walks free another day in her life.

What I find absolutely amazing--no matter how many times I see it, for some reason--is how many ruthless killers there are living among us. So often, people who knew them say they had no idea....

The only thing I can say I hope to find out in this trial is what kind of psychopathology MH has. The demons she harbors must be extraordinary.

Actually, I can understand, too. No one in the family would want to hear all the graphic details on CNN each night. At the same time, it is a high profile case and I can't imagine it will be dropped completely.

My understanding is that the man, Daniel P, who was allegedly poisoned by Melissa is also under a gag order since he might be a witness. We won't be hearing from him.

Glad to know there's someone else in Sacramento. Here's a wild guess for you: the trial may end up being moved here since the attorney is going to ask for a change of venue.

Just speculating out loud :)

~*

you never know, it could end up here. i would guess L.A. or somewhere further south where the coverage wasn't as big as it was here and in Tracy. i just hope that she pleas out...i really hope Sandra's family doesn't have to go through a trial.

you never know, it could end up here. i would guess L.A. or somewhere further south where the coverage wasn't as big as it was here and in Tracy. i just hope that she pleas out...i really hope Sandra's family doesn't have to go through a trial.

With all the mounting evidence against her, it would be wise for her attorney to advise her to do just that. My concern is that she will plead Not Guilty due to insanity and that will involve months of testimony.

I do think she's koo-koo. No question of it. No one will convince me she didn't know her behavior was wrong.

~*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fat Cinnamon
Back