Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it is interesting too after reading the book:

Conviction by Juan Martinez:

"All but a small number of the photographs could be proven to have been taken on June 4, 2008. The initial photograph in the first group, which was snapped at 1: 42: 53 P.M., placed Jodi Arias in Travis’ bedroom on the afternoon of June 4, although she had denied being there no more recently than April. In the lower right-hand corner of that picture, barely visible, appears to be a knee, so police knew Travis must have been the photographer.
* Does that answer the question of who (Travis or Jodi) returned Chris Hughes' text message an hour earlier at 12.15 pm regarding a PPL ticket? ("did you buy me one?")

Considering Juan doesn't challenge the pic/timestamp evidence (and some here do), I'm curious if anyone here has now reconsidered that Jodi returned Chris' text message.

Or does the pic info in the book not change anything for some here? As in, Jodi still could have returned the text message if Travis were asleep at 12:15 but she deleted it so Travis would never see it to ensure he (Travis) didn't communicate with Chris at all and risk him (TA) blurting out that the *advertiser censored* had stopped by? Ok, yeah... that actually sounds very likely.

Maybe the knee/pic info just clears up whether Travis was dead or alive earlier than first believed, but still allows for Jodi to have returned the text message at 12:15.

WingDing, very interesting question re the returning of Chris Hughes text. Tex Mex mentioned that Detective Flores detailed 8 bedroom pics. Six were covered in the book. He provided proof that the extracted pictures were taken by Travis' camera and covered each one in the trial. The memory cards were not interchangeable between Arias and Travis' cameras. Travis only bought his in May, I think.

This is a quote from Conviction by Juan Martinez:

"Flores then showed me the other five photographs that had been taken during the same afternoon session. One, snapped at 1: 44: 00 P.M., was a close-up shot of Arias’ anal and vaginal areas. Another, taken by Arias fifty seconds later, showed Travis naked and on his back, exhibiting his erect penis. In the foreground of that photograph was a bottle of KY personal lubricant. This photo confirmed that the other participant in the sexual activity that day was indeed Travis. There was now no disputing that Arias had been there on June 4, on the day of the murder, contrary to her protestations to Detective Flores during their June 10 phone call. A fourth photo, taken at 1: 47: 14, was also of Travis. He was on his back and looking at the camera, with his right arm extended, as if motioning Arias to come over to him. The personal lubricant had been moved so that it was now closer to the head of the bed. The next photo, which did not have a time stamp, showed Arias, propped up on her elbows, turning her body to the camera as if to show off her breasts and vaginal area, her left pigtail cascading over her shoulder onto the bed, the right one lying between her breasts. The last of these six pictures showed Arias’ legs spread to display her pubic area.".

Your reference to time - remember Arias claiming that she was awake first? It's perfectly possible that she snooped around the house before he awoke, looked at his phone. The only reservation I could put forward over Travis telling Chris is that he would probably have been too uncomfortable to make such an admission (given past grief).

The evidence shows that Travis was very much alive at 1.44 pm. In the book, Juan describes that the photographic evidence was very important in charging her - placing her firmly there. The book also details the importance of premeditation evidence in securing a conviction. The gas cans being a prime example.

* Does that answer the question of who (Travis or Jodi) returned Chris Hughes' text message an hour earlier at 12.15 pm regarding a PPL ticket? ("did you buy me one?")

Considering Juan doesn't challenge the pic/timestamp evidence (and some here do), I'm curious if anyone here has now reconsidered that Jodi returned Chris' text message.

Or does the pic info in the book not change anything for some here? As in, Jodi still could have returned the text message if Travis were asleep at 12:15 but she deleted it so Travis would never see it to ensure he (Travis) didn't communicate with Chris at all and risk him (TA) blurting out that the *advertiser censored* had stopped by? Ok, yeah... that actually sounds very likely.

Maybe the knee/pic info just clears up whether Travis was dead or alive earlier than first believed, but still allows for Jodi to have returned the text message at 12:15.

I tend to think she did return CH's text message and the primary reason she continued to state that they woke up around 1:00 even when knowing that text was sent from Travis' phone 45 minutes before, because she was the sender and oops, how could she have sent it if they both had been asleep? Arias Logic For Lying 101.

I haven't made up my mind about the knee business because JM also states that in the pant leg pic, "Travis' head is on the carpet and his feet are on the tile" (page 42)...well, it's very clear that tile is in the pic foreground, then her pant leg and Travis behind her leg, so his head can't very well be on the carpet, and if you look at the grout lines on the tile, spaced 18" apart, they are closer to the linen closet than the threshold of the bedroom.

I have gone back to my original thinking that JM was much more interested in the fact that pics were taken of them together earlier that day and of the time the crime was in progress, and not as much the exact content of the pictures. No knock on him, he really didn't need more than that in his quest for the conviction, but I'm a little obsessed with the fine details so my quest continues. lol

WingDing, very interesting question re the returning of Chris Hughes text. Tex Mex mentioned that Detective Flores detailed 8 bedroom pics. Six were covered in the book. He provided proof that the extracted pictures were taken by Travis' camera and covered each one in the trial. The memory cards were not interchangeable between Arias and Travis' cameras. Travis only bought his in May, I think.

This is a quote from Conviction by Juan Martinez:

"Flores then showed me the other five photographs that had been taken during the same afternoon session. One, snapped at 1: 44: 00 P.M., was a close-up shot of Arias’ anal and vaginal areas. Another, taken by Arias fifty seconds later, showed Travis naked and on his back, exhibiting his erect penis. In the foreground of that photograph was a bottle of KY personal lubricant. This photo confirmed that the other participant in the sexual activity that day was indeed Travis. There was now no disputing that Arias had been there on June 4, on the day of the murder, contrary to her protestations to Detective Flores during their June 10 phone call. A fourth photo, taken at 1: 47: 14, was also of Travis. He was on his back and looking at the camera, with his right arm extended, as if motioning Arias to come over to him. The personal lubricant had been moved so that it was now closer to the head of the bed. The next photo, which did not have a time stamp, showed Arias, propped up on her elbows, turning her body to the camera as if to show off her breasts and vaginal area, her left pigtail cascading over her shoulder onto the bed, the right one lying between her breasts. The last of these six pictures showed Arias’ legs spread to display her pubic area.".

Your reference to time - remember Arias claiming that she was awake first? It's perfectly possible that she snooped around the house before he awoke, looked at his phone. The only reservation I could put forward over Travis telling Chris is that he would probably have been too uncomfortable to make such an admission (given past grief).

The evidence shows that Travis was very much alive at 1.44 pm. In the book, Juan describes that the photographic evidence was very important in charging her - placing her firmly there. The book also details the importance of premeditation evidence in securing a conviction. The gas cans being a prime example.

IMO that's correct. I think maybe Travis woke up, went downstairs to get water or the oatmeal Jodi says he ate, checked his phone, sent the text got the camera (box was in the office) on his way back upstairs (camera bag in loft outside the bedroom) . He gets back in bed and Jodi wakes up. Then he has his sexual encounter and pics with Jodi. They relax a bit from 2-5, put the sheets in the wash. Melendez testifies there was computer activity at 4:54pm. After he checks his email he likely tells Jodi he has to shower and get ready for a conference call he has in an hour.
This is her moment. She planned this. She manipulated him into letting her stay and rest so she could continue on her trip. She had arrived without any cell pings or paper trail in AZ. She has enough gas to get out without a trail too. She has a stolen gun and a knife. She pulls one last manipulation. I'm packed and ready...let me take a few pictures in the shower! You look great, that diet and exercise worked! He half heartedly "poses" because she's promised to leave afterward and he can get to his call and escape Jodi's visit with no drama. Sadly at 5:22 his last shower begins and at 5:32 he's dead. She pulls him down the hall shoots him outs him in the shower. Attempts to clean some of the bathroom blood, no use. She washes us, grabs the towel, the camera, the knife the gun. Goes down the stairs puts them in the washer after moving sheets into dryer adds bleach and she out shortly after 6pm before Enrique gets home btwn 6-6:30.
JMO

FWIW, no deleted texts were recovered from TA's phone.

So, Chris' text was not deleted, and someone replied to it. According to her, not TA, because he was asleep.

I tend to think she did return CH's text message and the primary reason she continued to state that they woke up around 1:00 even when knowing that text was sent from Travis' phone 45 minutes before, because she was the sender and oops, how could she have sent it if they both had been asleep? Arias Logic For Lying 101.

I haven't made up my mind about the knee business because JM also states that in the pant leg pic, "Travis' head is on the carpet and his feet are on the tile" (page 42)...well, it's very clear that tile is in the pic foreground, then her pant leg and Travis behind her leg, so his head can't very well be on the carpet, and if you look at the grout lines on the tile, spaced 18" apart, they are closer to the linen closet than the threshold of the bedroom.

I have gone back to my original thinking that JM was much more interested in the fact that pics were taken of them together earlier that day and of the time the crime was in progress, and not as much the exact content of the pictures. No knock on him, he really didn't need more than that in his quest for the conviction, but I'm a little obsessed with the fine details so my quest continues. lol

IIRC he said during cross of Jodi that Travis was down the hall more...foot closer to closet when that pic was snapped. I think he says his throat was slit with his head on carpet...

They didn't wake up in the same bed, no way no how.

He didn't expect her, group sleuthing here laid to rest her lie about watching YTube videos with him at 4:20 ish AM, no way she slipped into his bed without him FREAKING, she couldn't tell a straight story about her luggage being brought in or taken out because she never brought in a suitcase and backpack. JMO!!

The fine details intrigue me too. What makes this case especially frustrating is that Arias lied so many times it's tricky to keep pace with where and when. Below, at trial, Arias states a 12.00 - 12.30 pm wake up time:

[video=youtube;Z_M2C1kY7qg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_M2C1kY7qg&index=22&list=PL_Rz53XTtnkEf4qetcdaEwSY00mKCOoYo[/video]

Minutes in - starts at 1.54

Travis woke later around 1.00 pm, according to her. She stated they both went to bed at 5/5.30 am.

So, Arias testified in court that she was possibly up at 12.00 pm and had an hour until Travis woke. She didn't state that they both slept until 1.00 pm in court. Only Travis did. She had up to an hour. Note how Nurmi stumbles a little later on, placing her waking up at 1.00 pm too. He then corrects it.

Wing Ding above mentions the possibility of her doing something with his phone. The timeframe she gives potentially allows an hour when Travis was "snoring lightly". We have to bear in mind that she is an pathological liar but it does make the text tampering possible.

They didn't wake up in the same bed, no way no how.

He didn't expect her, group sleuthing here laid to rest her lie about watching YTube videos with him at 4:20 ish AM, no way she slipped into his bed without him FREAKING, she couldn't tell a straight story about her luggage being brought in or taken out because she never brought in a suitcase and backpack. JMO!!

Totally agree, after everything we've read in the texts leading up to that day (my deepest thanks to you), he wouldn't turn his back on her, much less sleep beside her, I don't believe that for a minute. Not to mention the Spybot file activating at the same minute one of the nudies was snapped, plus Arias having access to Sony memory cards via Zach and I have little doubt any single thing she said about that day is factual or even resembles the truth in any way.

Totally agree, after everything we've read in the texts leading up to that day (my deepest thanks to you), he wouldn't turn his back on her, much less sleep beside her, I don't believe that for a minute. Not to mention the Spybot file activating at the same minute one of the nudies was snapped, plus Arias having access to Sony memory cards via Zach and I have little doubt any single thing she said about that day is factual or even resembles the truth in any way.

There's no reason to believe a single thing she says about anything, much less what happened on the day she murdered him.

Where to start? How about what she said happened between pics time stamped 1:44 and 5:20PM.

She says they tried to look at CD's but couldn't because of a virus on his computer, yet the computer was fine at 4:20 ish AM and fine again after 4PM that afternoon.

That kinda doesn't add up. For starters. Not to mention she couldn't even tell a straight story about how many CD's she supposedly brought...2. Or 3. Or 2...

Dessert at Scoopy's

image.jpg

I

Thanks for your comments, TrialWatcher, geevee, TexMex and Hope. All very insightful. :)

There's no reason to believe a single thing she says about anything, much less what happened on the day she murdered him.

Where to start? How about what she said happened between pics time stamped 1:44 and 5:20PM.

She says they tried to look at CD's but couldn't because of a virus on his computer, yet the computer was fine at 4:20 ish AM and fine again after 4PM that afternoon.

That kinda doesn't add up. For starters. Not to mention she couldn't even tell a straight story about how many CD's she supposedly brought...2. Or 3. Or 2...
Hey, yeah! Those are all great points you make, Hope.

And as if there were only one with Jodi, I think THEE most absurd thing to ever come out of her mouth during the trial was when she said Travis got so enraged about the cd that wouldn't load on his computer that he threw it against the wall, shattering it into a million pieces*. That's not the absurd thing she said, though... this is; she then continues her testimony saying that mere seconds later Travis then spun her around and entered her from behind, ejacced on her back and then ordered her to go clean herself off in the 1/2 bath across the hallway. It, is, simply, hilarious to imagine her walking all that way from the office to the 1/2 bath all hunched over so as not to make a mess! An "lol" moment/visual for me for sure. But what's really rEdiculous is to believe that Travis would be so enraged one moment, and then be physically ready to have sex the next moment. Um, pssst... Jodi... that's not how emotions and male anatomy works, ok? Well, it's too late for that now. But she certainly proved herself clueless in that little story of hers. :D

* I wonder if crime scene people found even one shard of a broken cd in his office or in his vacuum? Every try to get those out of carpet? It's impossible. You're gonna have broken cd shards in the carpet, embedded in the carpet fibers, deep, deep in the shag, broken cd shards, bits of broken cd that you never get out. You can't get it out with a vacuum cleaner. Even on your hands and knees with a magnifying glass, you can't get all the pieces, and then you think you got it all and two years later, you're walkin' barefoot and you step on a shard of broken cd and you kill yourself!

Don'tcha just hate it when one answer leads to a bevy of new questions? I've long puzzled about why Travis' shower slippers were in the middle of his bedroom floor when we know he took a shower, JM says early on in the book that there were pieces of carpet glued to the insides of them (to make them more comfortable). This seems the answer to the carpet fibers photographed on the bathroom floor, but it also leads to more questions - did he have them on at some point during the attack (thereby leaving fibers scattered around during it)? If so, how did they get back to his bedroom with no apparent blood on them? Were they analyzed for blood? It just seemed an odd comment for JM to make with nothing further stated (at least so far, I'm only on page 90, the book took much longer to arrive than it should have and now I have two copies).

Also, JM said there was a knee in one of the nudies, leading him to believe Travis was the one taking the pics, I haven't found that knee, or any sign of the photographer in my copies (but really appreciate having to look through them again :scared:), it's possible none of the available copies of those pics has that portion (which I think shows below the timestamp info) but I thought that was interesting.

I can't tell if this is a knee or part of a cushion used to prop the camera/tripod for some rude selfies...

Ariasshoot142b2.jpg

I can't tell if this is a knee or part of a cushion used to prop the camera/tripod for some rude selfies...

View attachment 90005

Thanks for sharing this, Val. Very hard to spot but you have found the pic of Travis' knee that Juan details in his book. Marking it is very helpful as it's barely visible. The time matches perfectly.

Quote from Conviction by Juan Martinez:

"Detective Flores started to describe the photographs to me over the telephone, but given that they placed our only suspect at the crime scene, I was anxious to see them for myself. So Flores offered to drive the thirty miles from the Mesa Police Department to my office. (...) All but a small number of the photographs could be proven to have been taken on June 4, 2008. The initial photograph in the first group, which was snapped at 1: 42: 53 P.M., placed Jodi Arias in Travis’ bedroom on the afternoon of June 4, although she had denied being there no more recently than April. In this photo, Arias was lying naked on Travis Alexander’s bed, her arms outstretched and her right leg bent at the knee, exposing the area between her legs. In the lower right-hand corner of that picture, barely visible, appears to be a knee, so police knew Travis must have been the photographer. Arias’ hair was in pigtails, one resting just above her left breast."

The fine details intrigue me too. What makes this case especially frustrating is that Arias lied so many times it's tricky to keep pace with where and when. Below, at trial, Arias states a 12.00 - 12.30 pm wake up time:

[video=youtube;Z_M2C1kY7qg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_M2C1kY7qg&index=22&list=PL_Rz53XTtnkEf4qetcdaEwSY00mKCOoYo[/video]

Minutes in - starts at 1.54

Travis woke later around 1.00 pm, according to her. She stated they both went to bed at 5/5.30 am.

So, Arias testified in court that she was possibly up at 12.00 pm and had an hour until Travis woke. She didn't state that they both slept until 1.00 pm in court. Only Travis did. She had up to an hour. Note how Nurmi stumbles a little later on, placing her waking up at 1.00 pm too. He then corrects it.

Wing Ding above mentions the possibility of her doing something with his phone. The timeframe she gives potentially allows an hour when Travis was "snoring lightly". We have to bear in mind that she is an pathological liar but it does make the text tampering possible.

I'm sorry, I'm just laughing here because she said Green-witch of course... :laughing:

I'm sorry, I'm just laughing here because she said Green-witch of course... :laughing:

Such an ignoramus. She is not smart... just average, but she excels at manipulation, obsessiveness and the integration of factoids and misc info into her dialog.
She is just so dang WEIRD! ICK!

She picked up words and phrases from her experts but instead of sounding smart, she sounded pretentious. For a self-proclaimed Grammar Nazi she shoots herself in the foot pretty often. Remember her wrongly spelling entrepreneur on the YouTube video she posted of Travis?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back