Prosecutors Ask For Hearing On How Baez Is Getting Paid

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know! Whine whine whine but no decent points and authorities! What about framing an issue, background facts with supporting exhibits, citations, prayer for relief and a proposed order? A major national murder case and none of these! Shocking! :waitasec:

Yes, I agree. His work product is way below par. Although some of his filings haven't been horrible, which makes me think he wasn't the one who prepared some of the filed papers.

Yes, I agree. His work product is way below par. Although some of his filings haven't been horrible, which makes me think he wasn't the one who prepared some of the filed papers.
I wondered that too. Good catch on that fine point. Might not have been an attorney. If another licensed attorney works on the motion isn't the heading supposed to reflect that even if the attorney does not sign it?

Casey Anthony: State is mad because i won't take plea deal
Willoughby Mariano | Sentinel Staff Writer
5:03 PM EDT, March 10, 2009
Today's updates:

5:01 p.m. In a sworn affidavit just released, Casey Anthony said her agreement with defense attorney Jose Baez "does not contain any clauses or parts that allow or entitle him to any rights that would allow him to sell my 'story,' or that of my daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony." It also includes a hand-written message that the prosecutor who thinks there is such a deal "is angry because I have refused to take a plea agreement for a crime that I DID NOT COMMIT."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...asey-anthony-jose-baez-031009,0,3939171.story

Guess she is not in a good mood today. :)

ETA: there's a pic of the affidavit with her handwritten note to one of the prosecutors on the Sentinel's main page.

Interesting KC says that, but KC and the truth are strangers. Cough up the retainer agreement and the accounts showing the source of payment.

I wondered that too. Good catch on that fine point. Might not have been an attorney. If another licensed attorney works on the motion isn't the heading supposed to reflect that even if the attorney does not sign it?

Not necessarily, many firms use first years who work on the legal research of motions (the real meat of the POA) but they aren't listed on the caption. Big name partners who are on the case are on the caption. Sometimes, though if more than one firm is working on the same motion but for the same client they will list "Of Counsel" at the bottom.

Sorry, if, how, by whom and how much JB is being paid is simply irrelevant to the case at hand. It must be a bad joke that the SA is looking out for KC's best interests by trying to probe into her attorney's fee payment.

JB's repetitive imotions, if one were to reflect upon them, have been necessary because the State has refused to respond in a timely and professional manner.

JB is doing an exemplary job representing KC. I haven't seen him do anything inappropriate or read any inappropriate pleadings. He IS looking out for her best interests and has gathered together some high-profile assistance in the case. He is fighting the State every step of the way, as he should.

One should ask why the State is so intent on discrediting JB rather than putting their own ducks in a row for trial.

It doesn't bother me in the least that photos and videos of Caylee are being or have been sold to media outlets by those who own the videos and photos. It wouldn't bother me to learn that people have book deals in place.

Unless it can be shown that JB is acting at the direction of third party rather than making his own decisions based upon what he deems to be in his client's best interest, or acting in his own best interest to the detriment of his client, there simply is no conflict.

And no, I don't think the FL Bar will re-write the Cannons of Ethics over this. If there is any ethical violation, there is a cannon to cover it already.

Bolded mine...well, I suppose this is the reason why the SA is asking. An important piece of information if you ask me. Call me crazy, but IMO there is something very wrong with someone selling images of a murdered child, especially by the very person who stands accused of her murder. Sure sounds like someone is profiting from this. I guess it's ok depending on which side of guilty you're standing.

Today's updates:

5:01 p.m. In a sworn affidavit just released, Casey Anthony said her agreement with defense attorney Jose Baez "does not contain any clauses or parts that allow or entitle him to any rights that would allow him to sell my 'story,' or that of my daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony." It also includes a hand-written message that the prosecutor who thinks there is such a deal "is angry because I have refused to take a plea agreement for a crime that I DID NOT COMMIT."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...asey-anthony-jose-baez-031009,0,3939171.story

ETA: there's a pic of the affidavit with her handwritten note to one of the prosecutors on the Sentinel's main page.
Yeah, that's how this all works...tit for tat. My, oh my, she really does behave like a child.

I believe she should get the best defense possible.

My problem is when it comes to making money off of Caylee's death. If she sold the pictures for what they were worth, when Caylee was alive, then no profit would be made. The only reason those pictures was of such high value, was because she is dead and her mother is the accused.

It's like using stolen property to pay for your defense.. ya know?

Now we have these other possible issues .. Oh boy!

*bolded by me*

Excellent point.

Wonder if someone in her defense team suggested that she write this little note?.
Anyway, will there be an official hearing with the judge on this matter or is this issue officially closed now that she signed an affidavit?

Today's updates:

The ONLY thing she and Baez attest to is he has nothing to do with "her story" - she does not say anything about pictures or other rights which are also a conflict of interests.

Wonder if someone in her defense team suggested that she write this little note?.
Anyway, will there be an official hearing with the judge on this matter or is this issue officially closed now that she signed an affidavit?
I don't think she was part of the equation at this point. But, why would any of her 8 attorneys let her pen a moronic note like that?

The ONLY thing she and Baez attest to is he has nothing to do with "her story" - she does not say anything about pictures or other rights which are also a conflict of interests.
Thanks for making that clearer.

Interesting KC says that, but KC and the truth are strangers. Cough up the retainer agreement and the accounts showing the source of payment.

This will NOT satisfy the court. There has to be a hearing and they have to produce what the state asked for in the original motion.

This will NOT satisfy the court. There has to be a hearing and they have to produce what the state asked for in the original motion.
Oh, no doubt. I agree with you. However, I would be looking for this kind of information as opposed to just KC's word.

I don't think she was part of the equation at this point. But, why would any of her 8 attorneys let her pen a moronic note like that?
I agree. Stunning. (Of course it does constitute a "media appearance" of sorts by KC.)

Yeah, that's how this all works...tit for tat. My, oh my, she really does behave like a child.

Well, we've all seen how she responds to being called on the carpet or challenged. That angry jail visit with her parents ring a bell????

Number 5 of JB's motion says:

"This motion also comes on the brink of releasing discovery of which Defense counsel was videotaped by law enforcement meeting with this client."

Do we know what this is? (Sorry if it's something obvious -- I can't put my finger on it.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back