**Q&A ONLY** Ask the MODERATORS your Forum Questions **NO DISCUSSION**

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If a victim's family member is also a member here can we not ask them direct questions? I did that, emphasized that there was no snark involved, and it was deleted.I was neither attacking the person or "calling them out". I really wanted to know the answer because I do not want to waste time if the family member doesn't want us to do anything. I have no idea why that would be, but wanted to make sure we weren't overstepping our bounds in case they were told not to speak with us (by CUE or LE).

Also, can I post if I made contact with someone outside of the family, such as news media or homeless shelters? I apologize for my confusion, but what seems OK in some threads in not OK in others and I want to be clear. If it's different for each thread could you post the rules for each thread seperatly so there's no confusion?

If a victim's family member is also a member here can we not ask them direct questions? I did that, emphasized that there was no snark involved, and it was deleted.I was neither attacking the person or "calling them out". I really wanted to know the answer because I do not want to waste time if the family member doesn't want us to do anything. I have no idea why that would be, but wanted to make sure we weren't overstepping our bounds in case they were told not to speak with us (by CUE or LE).

Also, can I post if I made contact with someone outside of the family, such as news media or homeless shelters? I apologize for my confusion, but what seems OK in some threads in not OK in others and I want to be clear. If it's different for each thread could you post the rules for each thread seperatly so there's no confusion?

It depends on if the family member is "verified". If they are verified, yes. If they are not verified, they are not officially declared a family member at all and then we go into the realm of possible rumor. There are a lot of people who claim to be someone they are not, so that's the reason.

Members contacting family members after the fact is a tough call for Websleuths. We do not want our members upsetting families - they are in enough pain. We also don't want our member misrepresenting Websleuths. The best thing to do is contact Websleuths management at wbsleuth@xmission.com and explain your involvement and let administration make a determination. They will declare the member verified and that way there aren't any misunderstandings.

Hope that helps! :hug:

It depends on if the family member is "verified". If they are verified, yes. If they are not verified, they are not officially declared a family member at all and then we go into the realm of possible rumor. There are a lot of people who claim to be someone they are not, so that's the reason.

Members contacting family members after the fact is a tough call for Websleuths. We do not want our members upsetting families - they are in enough pain. We also don't want our member misrepresenting Websleuths. The best thing to do is contact Websleuths management at wbsleuth@xmission.com and explain your involvement and let administration make a determination. They will declare the member verified and that way there aren't any misunderstandings.

Hope that helps! :hug:

Thanks, Kimster. I never thought about someone portraying themselves as a family member when in fact they may not be. It's twistedthat anyone would do that, but it makes sense not to speak to them AS a family member until they're verified.

In the case I'm referring to the family did come on the radio show here so they obviously knew about WS and we felt that our help was welcomed.

As far as contacting anyone about certain elements of the case, I never mention WS. I always talk on my own behalf when contacting LE, the media, etc for updates and information. If I hear back from these people and they give me info I need to know if that info is ok to post. Example: If I call LE and ask if there are any active searches going on and they say "No" is it ok to report that or is that considered rumor? If we wait for MSM to comment on this case we'll never get anywhere. This is a 45 year old black man with special needs and apparently it's not the kind of story that sells ads. Sadly, even when a reporter wants to do a story on him, he/she is also hitting a brick wall with their bosses (who want to sell ads).

Thanks for your time, Kimster and you did clear things up a bit for me.

You brought up an excellent issue that could cause miscommunication and that is the radio show. The Tricia's True Crime Radio is not a part of Websleuths LLC. So, if on the show people are invited to call a family member on a case, it doesn't mean that posting about those communications are allowed on Websleuths.

Again, please contact wbsleuth@xmission.com before posting anything behind the scenes on a case. You will get management direction on a case by case basis. It sounds to me like you've been very responsible. :blowkiss:

I have a question. In the Missing located forum I see found safe and found alive. What is the difference between the two tags?

Thanks

Is it OK if a facebook page is mentioned on WS? I know we can't quote from FB, but can we refer to a FB page? A FB page has been started for Johnny Brown,and mentioned on his thread, but there is a disclaimer (on WS) that it is not condoned nor affiliated with WS. It's a basic missing person's FB with MSM and LE reports. There isn't one out there, so one of us decided to do one. I can't see why this wouldn't be fine, but I thought I should run it by a mod just to be on the safe side! Thanks

P.S. I think it's a terrific idea, personally, because Johnny needs all the help he can get.

Is it OK if a facebook page is mentioned on WS? I know we can't quote from FB, but can we refer to a FB page? A FB page has been started for Johnny Brown,and mentioned on his thread, but there is a disclaimer (on WS) that it is not condoned nor affiliated with WS. It's a basic missing person's FB with MSM and LE reports. There isn't one out there, so one of us decided to do one. I can't see why this wouldn't be fine, but I thought I should run it by a mod just to be on the safe side! Thanks

P.S. I think it's a terrific idea, personally, because Johnny needs all the help he can get.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I'm pretty new and still somewhat overwhelmed trying to figure out navigation (search is helping, of course, and I think I've gotten the scanner and 'downstairs' terminology figured out.)

Here's my actual question: If there is breaking news about a new case or a new missing person, where is the first place to look? (Or to post, if one has posting privileges for that.)

Example: In the current active Jessica Ridgeway thread, someone mentioned this breaking news in CO:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/17/us-usa-bar-deaths-idUSBRE89G18D20121017

I think they went back and deleted it because it is not really related to the thread. But I'm still interested in seeing if it gets discussed on its own somewhere on WS. Where would be the first place I look? If I was a person who had this kind of news (or alternately, a new missing person case), and could post, where is 'step 1'?

Thanks!

We are looking into make a breaking news area on the forum, but don't have one as of yet. The best thing to do is to go to "New Posts", which for members only is in the blue bar below the Websleuths © logo at the top of each page. There you'll see what cases are being commented on the most, which could mean there is breaking news.

I am completely confused on taqs. I see some threads have them at the bottom, but it just takes me to the thread about that post. How do I find a specific post tagged?

As an example I wanted to relook at a post of related reports to the Jessica Ridgeway case, so I clicked on the tag at the bottom, but it just takes me to the thread not the post that contains it.

TIA.

I am completely confused on taqs. I see some threads have them at the bottom, but it just takes me to the thread about that post. How do I find a specific post tagged?

As an example I wanted to relook at a post of related reports to the Jessica Ridgeway case, so I clicked on the tag at the bottom, but it just takes me to the thread not the post that contains it.

TIA.

Posts aren't tagged, just threads. Once you find the thread that has the tag you are looking for, click the search this thread button upper right top of the thread, and you will find all the posts that mention the tag. HTH!

Not wishing to sound like a broken record, but

New forums and sub-forums have popped up recently, but these are not yet reflected in the "Edit Options" list where one can opt out of seeing one or more of them. Could they be added?

Also: how does one achieve a strikethrough effect when posting? I've seen others use this (sparingly; like twice maybe). Advantage: extra communications tool; looks cool. Disadvantage: might lead to snark-level increases.

Was wondering if the search function was working, I noticed from another thread it wasn't working 5-6 months ago. or do I need a certain number of posts to be able to access it?
when I tried it said "you do not have permission to access this page" and "Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page". I looked in the faq about using search but saw nothing regarding privileges being needed.

Questions on the Trayvon Martin forum. Why was it closed, and will it ever be reopened?

Was wondering if the search function was working, I noticed from another thread it wasn't working 5-6 months ago. or do I need a certain number of posts to be able to access it?
when I tried it said "you do not have permission to access this page" and "Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page". I looked in the faq about using search but saw nothing regarding privileges being needed.

Hi LR1,

I'm pretty sure you need around 50 posts and you should be able to use the search function. It doesn't take long, drop by our Missing forums, or you can go to the Game room and get your post count up that way.

Ima

I'll get her on there for you. Thank you for letting us know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member