Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
@IceIce9 face it. Some of us just don't have a "green thumb". I had a garden, it was so much work, and barely got anything out of it.

Meanwhile, my neighbor had this fantastic garden, he even brought over bushels of peppers and tomatoes for me. Whatever.

This is what I have trying to achieve: Avocado tree from a seed

Even if the tree doesn't bear fruit, it is a lovely ornamental house plant :) When DD was in 6th grade, students were supposed to grow some type of plant/tree from seed. She followed instructions for growing an avocado tree from the pit, but after several weeks, it didn't do much beyond sprouting a very long root :D

I’ve spent most of the day in the garden. Gave the lawn its first haircut of the year - ended up cutting it twice, as it had grown so much. I’ve pulled the jasmine and honeysuckle out of the teeny greenhouse and put them either side of the door - this is where I have my coffee each morning and I’m hoping when the weather heats up, I’ll be sitting down to heady fragrances - I love jasmine.
I’ve also planted more lettuce, some basil, rocket, chilli, and Summer Savory.
The cut & come again salad leaves I planted late last year, these are now ready to eat.
The valerian plants seem to have shot up really quickly, which made the boys happy. They’re not a bit interested in catmint but love stinky valerian.
One thing I noticed, that while I was out there I was focusing on something other than coronavirus and for a time I could almost forget the problems so prevalent in the wider world. Bliss.

Does anyone have experience growing things in red clay soil? We have always done raised garden beds filled with good soil/compost and had success with that approach. I've got my raised bed prepped already. But I want to try to expand my garden this year and grow directly in the clay too. I bought some of this Claybreaker soil conditioner at my local garden center:
740114123492.jpg

I've been reading lots online on what grows best in clay. Apparently Potatoes, Peas, Beans Cabbage, Broccoli and Cauliflower do well. I was thinking about doing squash and pumpkins too. However, some sources say pumpkins do well in clay (with the right amendments) and others don't mention them. I've always grown my squash in pots on a patio or a raised garden bed with a trellis. I'm looking for any advice from those who have successfully grown vegetables in clay. Here are a few of the guides I've read online:

Growing Vegetables in Clay Soil

How to Grow Vegetables in Clay Soils - Dave's Garden

Starting a Vegetable Garden In Clay Soil | PreparednessMama

https://www.hunker.com/12490694/vegetables-that-love-clay-soil

I'm also considered planting the squash using a hill method like this: https://seedsforgenerations.com/how-to-plant-squash-melons-and-pumpkins-in-hills/

I'm wondering if the hill method would work well for clay.

For gardening information local to you, find your closest Extension office:

Land-Grant University Website Directory | National Institute of Food and Agriculture

There is probably one in your county. Staff is probably working remotely, duh. Go ahead & send an email, you will hear from a horticulturalist or someone with experience with gardening. After harvest, plenty of information about food preservation, recipes, and education for kids if you have any kids!

Does anyone have tips for what to plant for fall / winter season? I'm in the southern hemisphere and my community Garden plot has gone to seed. Was producing zucchini capsicum, chili peppers, kale, silverbeet, beans and tomatoes.

What should I plant now for a temperate climate? We don't get any snow, even frost is pretty rare. Very sunny garden plot. Soil tends towards dry.

Usually my mum picks out what we're growing. But she's 70+, suffers from chronic respiratory illnesses and is self isolating with Dad.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

More planting this morning - peas, coriander, (even more) basil and tomatoes, tomatillos and peppers.
Meanwhile - and I know I could google this, but it’s nice to have people to ask - how do I know when garlic is ready to dig up, please-and-thank you?

More planting this morning - peas, coriander, (even more) basil and tomatoes, tomatillos and peppers.
Meanwhile - and I know I could google this, but it’s nice to have people to ask - how do I know when garlic is ready to dig up, please-and-thank you?
Coincidences are starting to freak me out a bit lately. I’ve always thought coincidences are God’s way of winking at us. Hmmm... my son came in the kitchen last night with a clove of garlic. He said “I just popped one for immunity and I’m saving the last one for tomorrow when I gotta get out to the store and pick up your medicine” I think it depends on when you planted your garlic. My rule of thumb for plants as such is to wait until the leaves have withered and turned yellow. Then I carefully dig them out with a small spade.

There are a carrot top and a scallion bottom now hanging out in a little cup on my windowsill.
Some wise folks here told me to plant what I can, so I'm looking at everything through a different lens now.
Grassy azz.

Coincidences are starting to freak me out a bit lately. I’ve always thought coincidences are God’s way of winking at us. Hmmm... my son came in the kitchen last night with a clove of garlic. He said “I just popped one for immunity and I’m saving the last one for tomorrow when I gotta get out to the store and pick up your medicine” I think it depends on when you planted your garlic. My rule of thumb for plants as such is to wait until the leaves have withered and turned yellow. Then I carefully dig them out with a small spade.

Thank you! The leaves are starting to wither, so I’ll wait a little longer then start digging.

Thank you! The leaves are starting to wither, so I’ll wait a little longer then start digging.

As I understand it, when the leaves start to die, stop watering, and then wait a week or two before digging up. The heads will start to dry (cure) during the two weeks without new water.

Then after you dig them up, set them out somewhere sheltered to dry further for another few weeks before storing them.

MOO

Does anyone have tips for what to plant for fall / winter season? I'm in the southern hemisphere and my community Garden plot has gone to seed. Was producing zucchini capsicum, chili peppers, kale, silverbeet, beans and tomatoes.

What should I plant now for a temperate climate? We don't get any snow, even frost is pretty rare. Very sunny garden plot. Soil tends towards dry.

Usually my mum picks out what we're growing. But she's 70+, suffers from chronic respiratory illnesses and is self isolating with Dad.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Just off the top of my head, veggies that do well in cooler weather include almost anything leafy and the Cole crops:
Kale, Arugula/Rocket, Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Mustard Greens, Spinach, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kohlrabi, Bok Choy...

Also some root veggies: Carrots, Radish, Turnip/Rutabaga/Swede, Parsnips, Beets, Onions...

You can also plant garlic in the fall and it will be ready to harvest in the summer.

Hope this give you some ideas. Google search each item you want to grow and put your area in the search box and you should find lots of advice out there. If you get seeds or plants from a garden center they will usually have guidelines written on them too on when to plant, how much sun, how far apart, etc, for your specific area. Good luck and let us know what you decide to grow!
:)

I live in an apartment complex. Now, sort of wishing that I had kept our house.

Well, I could plant in containers. I bought a book on container gardening for dummies. Going to go with tomatoes, herbs, squash.

If you don't have a sunny balcony, or a window that gets at least 6 hours of sun a day, get yourself a grow light. I've never done this before but I ordered an LED grow light on Amazon this week. I'm planning on trying a variety of growing approaches this year even though I have a large yard. My sunny kitchen window works for germinating seeds but I don't think there is enough sun for growing full sized veggies such as tomatoes and peppers. I always had a patio or balcony garden when living in apartments in the past and those can do well. But I haven't had much success with growing in a sunny window only. So this year I'm getting a grow light. The LED ones supposedly use no more electricity than an LED light bulb. I found one for only $25 and I figured it's worth a try!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbib4k
Back