Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of folks have a decision already made on Charles, I personally have said I don't care for him, but I don't know him, do not know how he will do, but figure he won't have 70 years... he may do well, I have heard the royal family runs like a corporation with adivsors etc, so he is not doing this willy nilly....

St. Giles cathedral is beautiful. I am so amazed by places in UK, it was built in 1124. Amazing.

So much history. The oldest building in my town, dates back to 1865. Not even a blip.

I felt sorry for Prince Andrew, he was very close to his mother. Following the hearse must have been difficult for him.

Whether we are British or not, or believe in the Monarchy, Queen Elizabeth II, was amazing. The History in her life, and her part in history is profound.

I still remember (from a Sunday School trip when I was little, in England) visiting a very old church that was no longer used. It had a 'Lepers Window". A low arched window with a wide stone bench/ledge incorporated into it, where the people with leprosy could kneel and participate in the Sunday Service ... from outside the church.

Leprosy was declining in the UK from the 1400s. So it was a pretty old church. Still standing, preserved.

Respectfully disagree.

In 4 days, a man has sat by his mother's side as she breathed her last breath. Let's not mention she was the Queen of England. No doubt had to emotionally deal with his youngest son, in whatever form that took. Became the King of England. Has taken zero time away to mourn because well . . . royal family. I barely handled my father's death and I'm a nobody from rural Indiana in context of the world stage. I'm surprised people are being so judgmental over an ink pot. On second thought, I'm not surprised. :)

JMO
Yet it sparked a Twitter shockwave, and it didn't look good for Charles.

King Charles will have to learn the queen's glacial stare. The withering look she gave to people when she was annoyed.
Maybe that look would fly under the radar and not end up being a twitter event.

“.... there’s a withering look, and it looks you up and down, and it was terrifying when it first happened to me”
“The silent reprimand can be triggered by incompetence or else by overfamiliarity.”
“Most know that there are two hazards to be avoided when meeting with the boss: ‘The line’ and ‘the look,’” Hardman writes. “You do not want to cross the former or receive the latter.”

Excellent post!

BBM
"Maybe that look would fly under the radar and not end up being a twitter event."

Yes because that Twitter event-- is a fiasco HE could have avoided.

King Charles will have to learn the queen's glacial stare. The withering look she gave to people when she was annoyed.
Maybe that look would fly under the radar and not end up being a twitter event.

“.... there’s a withering look, and it looks you up and down, and it was terrifying when it first happened to me”
“The silent reprimand can be triggered by incompetence or else by overfamiliarity.”
“Most know that there are two hazards to be avoided when meeting with the boss: ‘The line’ and ‘the look,’” Hardman writes. “You do not want to cross the former or receive the latter.”

Lol I remember when the Queen was in America, all decked out at a formal reception with George W. Bush, and he said something about her having previously visited America for our Bicentennial---in 1776! He made a comment that she gave him a look that "only a mother could give a child." She did joke about it though when it was time for her speech.

As to King Charles III and Inkwell-Gate, I though it was rude but sort of understandable.

Obviously he's spent 73 years being cosseted in every way and quite accustomed to the bowing and scraping that has accompanied his every move. So there was some of that.

But I also give him a break in that, as @CSIDreamer said, this was and is a most extraordinarily stressful time for him. Losing his mother with whom he had a sometimes fraught relationship, knowing that his life is upended now with the burdens of kingship, having to hold it together while he simultaneously loses his mom and transforms into a king, doing it all in public, wondering what's going to be with his younger son and the Prince of Wales---IMO, to only snap once in public is forgivable.

I do hope Viscount Whatnot (TM @Cappuccino) is not humiliated. At least he won't be beheaded.

William managed just fine though and that’s the whole point. It was completely rude and very ill mannered. It’s already showing the difference in how he treats people he considers Beneath him.
BAM!! There was 20 different ways of handling this. Yet Charles imoo can not read a room. Thus now we have a Twitter fest cutting him off at his ankles.

No matter your stance on the British Royal family, I’m sure almost everyone felt emotional seeing all 4 of the Queen’s children stood around her coffin just then. Our new King Charles looked like he might break down at any moment, his face was full of heartbreak.

All 4 of them are so dignified and respectful. I don’t usually get emotional but I did have a lump in my throat just seeing the look on Charles’ face it was heart breaking. It just goes to show how devestating it is for anyone of any age to lose a parent, but to have the whole world watching you grieve and having to go through the rituals and process of becoming king aswell must be so difficult and remaining so brave throughout is remarkable.
The Queen would be so so proud of her children.
I totally agree. Charles did look like he was going to crack. I don't feel sorry for him very often, but in this moment in time he really looked broken.

Lol I remember when the Queen was in America, all decked out at a formal reception with George W. Bush, and he said something about her having previously visited America for our Bicentennial---in 1776! He made a comment that she gave him a look that "only a mother could give a child." She did joke about it though when it was time for her speech.

As to King Charles III and Inkwell-Gate, I though it was rude but sort of understandable.

Obviously he's spent 73 years being cosseted in every way and quite accustomed to the bowing and scraping that has accompanied his every move. So there was some of that.

But I also give him a break in that, as @CSIDreamer said, this was and is a most extraordinarily stressful time for him. Losing his mother with whom he had a sometimes fraught relationship, knowing that his life is upended now with the burdens of kingship, having to hold it together while he simultaneously loses his mom and transforms into a king, doing it all in public, wondering what's going to be with his younger son and the Prince of Wales---IMO, to only snap once in public is forgivable.

I do hope Viscount Whatnot (TM @Cappuccino) is not humiliated. At least he won't be beheaded.

We have a former Prime Minister (Paul Keating) who touched the queen's back. The British press dubbed him the Lizard of Oz. He should have known better.

Well, thankfully the handsome young man with all the medals on chest (the one who moved the inkpots)... didn't look too hurt nor rebuffed. I have a feeling he's heard worse - didn't get those medals by being mollycoddled. ;)

Last edited:
We have a former Prime Minister (Paul Keating) who touched the queen's back. The British press dubbed him the Lizard of Oz. He should have known better.

I'm quite disappointed to hear Christanne Amanpour's ill-timed words.

She knows better than this. There is a time and a place for everything and this was not the time to be discussing policies of the past when millions of people literally have tears of grief streaming down their cheeks.

Really?? The optics of this is devastating. Twitter is on fire now because of his brass conduct. Watch the clip, even Camilla is embarrassed...
Unfortunately I grew up with men behaving like that, and they were far, far, far from Royalty, as far as one can get! …… Expecting to be served, catered to, waited on, etc. Just speaking from my own experience.
I am proud to say they are no longer in my life.

However I have no idea if Charles is really like that in everyday life. Maybe he was just feeling stressed, frazzled and overwhelmed. That would be more than understandable under the present circumstances, Imo.

I agree. The table was far too small for the documents and ink wells. I imagine Charle's was concerned about spilling ink or knocking something on the floor.

I imagine he was also in a highly emotional state after losing his mother and becoming King.

I think some people on Twitter and trying to find anything they can to belittle him.
Yes, the plague of social media. Maybe we need a vaccine for that, lol.

Really wonderful article about Her Majesty and her love for Scotland, with a really good historical perspective.

It's easy to see that she deliberately planned her last days there.

Her concerns were always with the Union of the British Isles, with the future welfare of all it's people and of the Commonwealth.

She had a truly historic perspective and this wisdom and experience needs to be recognized and celebrated

I'm quite disappointed to hear Christanne Amanpour's ill-timed words.

She knows better than this. There is a time and a place for everything and this was not the time to be discussing policies of the past when millions of people literally have tears of grief streaming down their cheeks.

I haven't heard what she said. We are not really exposed to her, in Australia. I actually just had to google to see who she is. :)

King Charles, who appeared to be teary-eyed at times, kept his hands joined and also looked towards the floor as members of the public filed past.

One royal watcher wrote: 'King Charles looks absolutely devastated this must be the most tough thing for them all.'

A second noted: 'Charles looks absolutely heartbroken stood there.. he’s had such a busy few days that he’s literally had no time to grieve..'

A further commentator Tweeter said: 'Charles looks utterly bereft whilst undertaking the Vigil of Princes. Imagine having to do your mourning in public. No thank you.'

@DelMody

An early morning rehearsal for the procession of Queen Elizabeth's coffin from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall, London - where it will lie in state until her funeral on Monday

Attachments

• A16CE866-25C5-4FF9-BE14-4C987A97AD26.jpeg
    A16CE866-25C5-4FF9-BE14-4C987A97AD26.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 10
  • D5C23DB9-56F2-4E99-9241-5A6918FA8EE4.jpeg
    D5C23DB9-56F2-4E99-9241-5A6918FA8EE4.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1285C16E-043A-46C2-B99D-54D06BDB21BD.jpeg
    1285C16E-043A-46C2-B99D-54D06BDB21BD.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 10
@DelMody

An early morning rehearsal for the procession of Queen Elizabeth's coffin from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall, London - where it will lie in state until her funeral on Monday

More pictures and information in this article:

@scotgov

The queue at St Giles' has now closed. Please do not attempt to join the queue. Over 26,000 people have already had a chance to pay their last respects. We're doing everything we can to ensure that those currently queuing can do so before 3pm, when the Lying at Rest will end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member