Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Times of London has this amazing article about the music from the services. It's written by a classical music critic, but it has a lovely insight into how and why music is chosen in funerals.

And how massively effective it is in sharing the life and the loss of a magnificent or a very close person.

Highly recommended,

B252F3F4-0334-4510-8B18-FADDC2FBCF03.jpeg
Image credit Sky News UK

May Her Majesty The Queen Rest In Peace 1926 - 2022

The funeral service for Her Majesty The Queen was perfect and a fitting tribute to Her Majesty. Everyone who was involved in planning and who participated in the service, bringing Her Majesty’s coffin down from Balmoral and organising Her Majesty’s coffin Lying-in-state both in Edinburgh and London should be extremely proud of their hard work. I can’t imagine how stressful it must have been for the pallbearers to carry Her Majesty’s coffin up all those steps with billions of people watching. They did incredibly well and should be so proud.

I also have a great deal of respect for the estimated approximately 350,000 members of the public who queued for many, many hours to pay their respects to Her Majesty. I am sure all the flowers members of public have left, all the messages of condolences and all the people who waited to pay their respects to Her Majesty as her coffin passed by are very much appreciated by the Royal family.

I can’t imagine how difficult it has been for the Royal family since it was announced Her Majesty has passed away with them having to grieve the tremendous loss of their Mum, Grandmother, Mother-In-Law and Cousin with cameras and video cameras from news outlets and world press from around the world following them.

King Charles III has not only lost his beloved Mother but has also had to adjust to becoming the new Monarch which will be an enormous responsibility and change for him. Camilla, Queen Consort will also have a massive change in her new role and most likely will have less private time with her children and Grandchildren. They are both going to be incredibly busy doing public engagements and Royal tours around the world in the next few years.

The Prince and Princess of Wales are also going to be extremely busy doing public engagements and Royal tours whilst trying to raise their three children. It was great to see the close bond Prince George and Princess Charlotte have.

I’m really sorry I haven’t visited the thread to see and like all your posts in the past week. It has been very difficult to see the Royal family and all the members of the public grieving and I had to take a step back from all the reporting. My depression worsened because Her Majesty’s death has reminded me of the severe grief I felt when all my Grandparents died and I miss them terribly. I also know that I’m going to lose both my parents and I don’t know how I am going to cope without them. I’m sure it has been a very emotional time for all of you too. (Apologies for the very long post and Best Wishes to you all)

View attachment 367392
Image credit Sky News UK

The funeral service for Her Majesty The Queen was perfect and a fitting tribute to Her Majesty. Everyone who was involved in planning and who participated in the service, bringing Her Majesty’s coffin down from Balmoral and organising Her Majesty’s coffin Lying-in-state both in Edinburgh and London should be extremely proud of their hard work. I can’t imagine how stressful it must have been for the pallbearers to carry Her Majesty’s coffin up all those steps with billions of people watching. They did incredibly well and should be so proud.

I also have a great deal of respect for the estimated approximately 350,000 members of the public who queued for many, many hours to pay their respects to Her Majesty. I am sure all the flowers members of public have left, all the messages of condolences and all the people who waited to pay their respects to Her Majesty as her coffin passed by are very much appreciated by the Royal family.

I can’t imagine how difficult it has been for the Royal family since it was announced Her Majesty has passed away with them having to grieve the tremendous loss of their Mum, Grandmother, Mother-In-Law and Cousin with cameras and video cameras from news outlets and world press from around the world following them.

King Charles III has not only lost his beloved Mother but has also had to adjust to becoming the new Monarch which will be an enormous responsibility and change for him. Camilla, Queen Consort will also have a massive change in her new role and most likely will have less private time with her children and Grandchildren. They are both going to be incredibly busy doing public engagements and Royal tours around the world in the next few years.

The Prince and Princess of Wales are also going to be extremely busy doing public engagements and Royal tours whilst trying to raise their three children. It was great to see the close bond Prince George and Princess Charlotte have.

I’m really sorry I haven’t visited the thread to see and like all your posts in the past week. It has been very difficult to see the Royal family and all the members of the public grieving and I had to take a step back from all the reporting. My depression worsened because Her Majesty’s death has reminded me of the severe grief I felt when all my Grandparents died and I miss them terribly. I also know that I’m going to lose both my parents and I don’t know how I am going to cope without them. I’m sure it has been a very emotional time for all of you too. (Apologies for the very long post and Best Wishes to you all)
Lovely post! So sorry your grief was triggered by this event. Seeing the respect of the public mourners at the lying-in-state was one of the most moving things for me.

'Til we meet again....

View attachment 367392
Image credit Sky News UK

Thank you for sharing your thoughts so eloquently @gregjrichards. And for being vulnerable. I’m so sorry your depression worsened contemplating the past and future. Losing loved ones is just hard, even when we feel prepared. Watching the Royal Family, my heart goes out to them. I am sure you, like the Royal Family, will draw on inner strength you don’t realize you have when the time comes. In the meantime, I’m sending you hugs from Oregon. We are here for you!

If it wasn’t for Wallis Simpson we wouldn’t have experienced a queen like our Queen Elizabeth.

So, I guess, I’ll say thank you to that socialite divorcee.

The term a ‘sliding doors‘ moment meaning a seemingly inconsequential moment that nonetheless alter the trajectory of future events.

View attachment 367392
Image credit Sky News UK

Thank you gregrichards. It is lovely to read your words.

We all grieve, world-wide. I recognize the sadness it brings up in the deaths of those of her generation that were so close to us. I did find the words in the services kind and calming. Death and grief are a part of the human experience, and this magnificent and-yet humble woman can be painfully mourned, just as our loved ones were.

The funeral day has been highly emotional, but each of the days since her passing have been emotional. We are all going through this together. So I really welcome your kind thoughts and pass on my wishes for strength and calm for you.

Your friend, Herat

I found another one that I can read. There are some videos of some of the music that was played.
I've had a few goes at reading the other link and one browser even let me read two paragraphs.

The music that was played was of major interest to me, I especially like finding out about music that is new to me, even older stuff that I'd never heard.

I found another one that I can read. There are some videos of some of the music that was played.
I've had a few goes the reading the other link and one browser even let me read two paragraphs.

The music that was played was of major interest to me, I especially like finding out about music that is new to me, even older stuff that I'd never heard.
The funereal compositions used were very moving. Especially this one, that I found very striking & haunting. A dirge I wont soon forget.

"Queen's head groom, 72, voices pride at taking the monarch's favourite horse to 'say goodbye for the last time' on Long Walk to Windsor -
and says the animal had a 'sixth sense' that Her Majesty would not ride her anymore."

Queen’s Piper Who Woke Her Every Morning Plays Different Role At Her Funeral​

The man who woke Queen Elizabeth II on the last day of her life also put her to rest.

For decades, the queen’s personal bagpiper, known as Piper to the Sovereign, acted as her personal alarm clock by playing under her window at 9 a.m. for 15 minutes at all of her official British residences.

He closed out the queen’s funeral with a rendition of the traditional piece “Sleep, Dearie, Sleep” while her coffin was lowered into the Royal Vault beneath St. George’s Chapel, CNNreports.

Burns was the one who roused the queen out of her slumber on her final day at Balmoral Castle, according to the Telegraph.

Methven also remembered a moment when the queen showed him kindness. He explained to the outlet that while he was serving her, his parents and wife died within an eight-month span.

“I was standing with the Queen and she said, ‘If you’re not here in the morning and you don’t play the bagpipes, then I know you’re away. Don’t wait to ask anyone, just go home if your family needs you because it’s family first.’”

He added: “She grabbed me by the arm again and said, ‘You know, Pipes, if anyone has a problem with that, you tell them that I said it was OK to go.’”

Royal bloom fit for a Queen​

The flowers atop the Queen's coffin were prepared at the request of her eldest son, King Charles.

The blooms and foliage was cut from the gardens of royal residences in Buckingham Palace, and the King's personal residences Clarence House and Highgrove House.

The wreath contained sprigs of rosemary for remembrance, scented pelargoniums, garden roses, autumnal hydrangea, sedum, dahlias and scabious, according to Buckingham Palace.

English oak which symbolises the strength of love was also featured in the wreath, as was myrtle.

The ancient symbol of a happy marriage, the specific sprig of myrtle was cut from a plant that was grown from the Queen's wedding bouquet in 1947.

Image of Queen on hill side at link appears to be at Prince Alberts Cairn.

The funereal compositions used were very moving. Especially this one, that I found very striking & haunting. A dirge I wont soon forget.

Thanks for posting this, I kept noticing it throughout the day and it’s stuck in my mind. Beautiful. It’s Beethovens Funeral March by Johann Heinrich Walch (was initially wrongly attributed to Beethoven, hence the name)

I thought I glimpsed Sarah Ferguson sitting somewhere behind the Wales /Cornwall/Cambridge family in Westminster Cathedral. She wasn't sitting with Prince Andrew or with her daughters.

Did anyone else think they saw her, too?
I watched live coverage on NBC here in Michigan. Sarah Ferguson was shown arriving at one of the religious services with both of her daughters. I didn't see Sarah at the Westminster service, but she was seated between Beatrice and Eugenie, with their husbands, at the committal service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member