Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When 14 women accuse him of the same thing it's more than just an allegation. It's 14 allegations.

I would think the latest flak on Cosby. He also mentions what Cosby said about pull yourself up in his act. Is that what you want to hear?

......I was under the impression that Mr Burress's nightclub act was the reason for all this publicity, that's all.

I had heard that BC fathered a child via an affair years ago but the rapes were totally news to me until this guy brought it up recently. Just wondering what prompted him to go off about BC during his act.

Damn....14....that's a lot.

Most women who are raped do not report it to the police, so there are no formal charges. I would submit that it would be even more daunting for a raped woman to press charges when the rapist is a beloved celebrity. And so (assuming that at least some of the many, many allegations are true) I do not fault these women, any more than other victims of rape, for declining to press charges, as much as I wish they would. They have my sympathies, and I wish more people would sympathize with them rather than Dr. Huxtable/the Cos.

If they are willing to be counted as an allegation by pressing charges, I'm all for sympathizing with the victims of rape. I'm not sure I'm sympathetic to rumors or allegations though especially when there have been payouts...sometimes it is easier to pay off than it is to fight the press.

I'm not sure though who the real victim is here --allegation by rumor and comedians doesn't seem very sympathetic to me.

With that said, my pops NEVER liked Cosby, and was almost always right about someone's lack of character.

I'm torn on this. I totally get that many victims do not press charges and wait a long time - that's not what makes me confused. I'm surprised that if he was so predatory he didn't get caught more publicly - it seems like that behavior would escalate and it shows such extreme risk and entitlement. Drugging someone like that is such awful behavior, and I do think Cosby is very arrogant and his fame isolated him from questioning, but it seems like that could easily have resulted in some bigger issue. I would have expected him to have incidents of out of control behavior that did get out to some extent. But he could just be a very effective predator.

Then there's the issue that a lot of these women accepted pills - that doesn't mean they weren't raped, but I do wonder what they thought they were taking. Some say benadryl, some say herbal meds, or something, and probably some used drugs and that was normal. Sometimes I know it was in their drink so they wouldn't know. But I'm a little suspicious because drug users generally know what certain pills look like - it's a little weird that they just took them.

Then you've got the whole settlement thing. I tend to believe the allegations are at least in part true due to the number of women involved and the fact that there's nothing outwardly implausible about it, but I do hate the idea that someone's reputation can be smeared so easily by a sex crime allegation. I too have the default position that a woman who claims she was raped was, but I certainly know that is not always true. How did all these women find each other for the suit? And since he knew some of these women very well, there could be a personal motive, which makes more sense than money, or in addition to money.

......I was under the impression that Mr Burress's nightclub act was the reason for all this publicity, that's all.

I had heard that BC fathered a child via an affair years ago but the rapes were totally news to me until this guy brought it up recently. Just wondering what prompted him to go off about BC during his act.

Damn....14....that's a lot.

The reason this is coming out again is that Cosby's twitter account posted pictures of him and asked for fans to meme him. Well the memes started out by people making rape memes. That's what started the whole thing again.

The pull yourself up speech was made on May 17th of this year. It seems like a long time to wait to discredit him for that. JMO

I'm torn on this. I totally get that many victims do not press charges and wait a long time - that's not what makes me confused. I'm surprised that if he was so predatory he didn't get caught more publicly - it seems like that behavior would escalate and it shows such extreme risk and entitlement. Drugging someone like that is such awful behavior, and I do think Cosby is very arrogant and his fame isolated him from questioning, but it seems like that could easily have resulted in some bigger issue. I would have expected him to have incidents of out of control behavior that did get out to some extent. But he could just be a very effective predator.

Then there's the issue that a lot of these women accepted pills - that doesn't mean they weren't raped, but I do wonder what they thought they were taking.* Some say benadryl, some say herbal meds, or something, and probably some used drugs and that was normal. Sometimes I know it was in their drink so they wouldn't know. But I'm a little suspicious because drug users generally know what certain pills look like - it's a little weird that they just took them.

Then you've got the whole settlement thing. I tend to believe the allegations are at least in part true due to the number of women involved and the fact that there's nothing outwardly implausible about it, but I do hate the idea that someone's reputation can be smeared so easily by a sex crime allegation. I too have the default position that a woman who claims she was raped was, but I certainly know that is not always true. How did all these women find each other for the suit?** And since he knew some of these women very well, there could be a personal motive, which makes more sense than money, or in addition to money.

*Cosby told them they didn't look well and he'd give them something. Sometimes a drink (not alcoholic, but hot tea or something.) Sometimes he'd hand them a pill. If I wasn't feeling well and was at Cosby's and he handed me something to take I wouldn't question it given his reputation.

**When the woman sued him they had a private investigator look into women who had worked closely with him in the past. That's how they unearthed the other 13.

I really like Bill Cosby, well before this, and find it hard to believe, but it looks pretty likely to me. A lot of people's public persona's don't jibe with their private persona's. I would've found it hard to believe that OJ was guilty of murder, but the evidence is overwhelming. I'm not saying the evidence here is overwhelming. I'm just saying that OJ's public image didn't match at all with his private persona. JMO

This is spooky. I never liked him. I knew he was highly popular. Something about him I did not like. I watched the Huxtable show once. Didn't like it. Never watched it again.

I saw him on some late night show a few months ago, maybe six. He was acting really weird. I thought maybe dementia was starting.

Yes, I believe he was/is a predator.

This is spooky. I never liked him. I knew he was highly popular. Something about him I did not like. I watched the Huxtable show once. Didn't like it. Never watched it again.

I saw him on some late night show a few months ago, maybe six. He was acting really weird. I thought maybe dementia was starting.

Yes, I believe he was/is a predator.

I saw him appear on Jimmy Fallon a while back and couldn't stand to watch him because he seemed really odd so I turned the channel. I thought something was off as well. He was, like you say, acting weird.

Yes, Blondie, that was it. It was the Jimmy Fallon show. It was a really strange appearance, wasn't it? At first I thought it was some sort of a joke. And so, evidently did Fallon. But as the time went on, it became apparent it was not a joke. I thought Jimmy Fallon handled it well. But it was very strange.

It is sad to see all of this. But I have to wonder if there had been no recording of the Seventh Heaven actor, Steven C? would we be having a similar discussion? I think we would. I remember no one believing or I should say many believing OJ was innocent. I think we hold Actors and Public Figures to a much higher standard and we are reluctant to believe what we don't see portrayed on TV. Our minds have a hard time wrapping around this kind of stuff, KWIM?

The thread title probably inadvertently carries with it the notion that accused rapists are haunted -- and thus victims. Offensive in the extreme. As is the speculative accusation in the body of the thread that this is somehow a colossal plot against Cosby perpetuated by "young blacks."

Daily Mail's latest:

Bill Cosby's lawyer says the comedian will NOT 'dignify' rape allegations with a response
on the same day one 'victim' goes on TV to claim media covered up scandal for decades

⁍ Bill Cosby's lawyer says he will not address recently rekindled rape allegations
⁍ In 2004, 13 women came forward to accuse the comedian of drugging and raping them; settled in 2006 for an undisclosed amount
⁍ Sunday, actress Barbara Bowman appeared on CNN to speak about how Cosby allegedly raped her and how it was covered up
⁍ Comes one day after the comedian went silent and shook his head after being confronted with questions about the case on NPR's Weekend Edition
the story at the link. above bbm

The thread title probably inadvertently carries with it the notion that accused rapists are haunted -- and thus victims. Offensive in the extreme. As is the speculative accusation in the body of the thread that this is somehow a colossal plot against Cosby perpetuated by "young blacks."

The thread title is the same as the linked article title.

Cosby's total silence in the face of the questions during the NPR interview about sexual assault allegations is curious. Everyone is different, but I think if I were completely innocent of having done anything improper with anyone and did not want to comment, I'd at least say something like "I am not going to even dignify that question with a response", as his attorney basically did for him. Creating dead air on the radio; who does that?

Though I can't say for sure that this whole thing is a duck, seems to me it's looking like a duck and quacking like a duck.

I loved the Cosby show but I also always did get weird vibes from Bill when he did appearances. Cold and controlled, especially in contrast to how people were used to seeing him on that show. I didn't think the silence was as weird as people are making it out to be - I think that was a clear attempt to tell the interviewer he wasn't going to go there, even a little - silence is awfully intimidating. I don't see it as not knowing what to say. I see it as a very intentional message that he is not going to comment at all, and he sticks to his guns. Eventually, he'll probably have to address it, but it will take a while.

I understand that some people would be easily pressured by Bill Cosby, but I would never take a random supposedly herbal pill from Bill Cosby or anyone, no matter their reputation. That would weird me out immediately. That isn't a judgement on anyone's credibility, but I do think it is something that would be questioned if things moved forward.

I haven't really followed this story but wanted to check this thread out to see what it was all about. Maybe the reason that the girls didn't say anything is because he's a celeb and they were afraid that no one would believe their story.

Bill Cosby faces another accusation from a woman claiming he raped her in 1969

"Joan Tarshis added her name to a list of accusers who say the 77-year-old funnyman has been a sexual predator for decades."

"In an essay published Sunday on the Hollywood Elsewhere website, Tarshis said she was a 19-year-old aspiring actress when Cosby coaxed her into his clutches under the guise that he was mentoring her."

"Tarshis claimed Cosby assaulted her in the autumn of 1969 in his bungalow at Universal Studios in Los Angeles, where he was shooting “The Bill Cosby Show.”

"She said one day Cosby asked her to stay to work on material with him. She said once in his bungalow, Cosby made her a “redeye,” a Bloody Mary topped with a beer."

“The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed,” writes Tarshis, a journalist."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ss-sexual-abuse-allegations-article-1.2012654

There's really no reason he should speak out. We all know each and every word will be scrutinized, twisted, turned in all directions. I believe keeping his mouth shut is the sensible thing to do.

While it's possible that Cosby is innocent, I believe Ms. Bowman. He would not speak, not one word, not even to say "I will not comment," during the interview. An innocent person does not hide behind silence. He's a coward...afraid of saying anything which might get him caught in a as-yet-to-be-fabricated-defense-story by his legal reps. His attorney's statement does not deny the allegations. Ms. Bowman's detailed, specific recollections, along with BC's (and team) reactions speak volumes to me.

Cosby, using his image and power, "mentored" some these women. I guess Merriam-Webster needs to add a new definition for this word in their dictionary.

"'Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced,' said John P. Schmitt, Cosby's attorney, in a statement. 'The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true.' Neither Cosby nor his representatives will comment further on the allegations, Schmitt added."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-bill-cosby-20141116-story.html

this goes back decades and there is zero doubt in my mind that he is guilty as sin. he's never even denied it. he's merely settled. it's interesting to me that people automatically jump to his defense, though.

the only reason he hasn't been taken down is because he is an icon in the entertainment industry and nobody wants to face the backlash.

you can bet that he did not automatically change his stripes with age and that there are far more recent victims out there. i hope gloria allred finds them, that's all i can say.

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member