Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured out whose farm. it appears to have been in the family since the 1930s....such a bucolic and peaceful setting to raise young children like Jacob.

Yep, long time. And very tragic for them, too.

This is my first time on here, and I joined particularly because of my interest in the recent developments in the Jacob Wetterling case. I have read almost this entire thread (as well as a few on other sites about this case) so here are my two thoughts on crime solving blogs such as this one:
1) Amatuer sleuths have suggested several avenues that were left unexplored by law enforcement. One blog a few years ago in particular directly led to police linking the sexual assault of another victim in the general area just prior to Jacob's abduction, obtaining a search warrant recently, and uncovering child *advertiser censored* in the home of Danny Heinrich. Once he was in custody, investigators re-opened the Wetterling connection and offered a deal (approved by the Wetterling family, as is required) so that Heinrich would disclose the location of the body remains in exchange for immunity from prosecution - providing closure of a sort. In my opinion, law enforcement moves slowly at times, if at all, given the limitations of the law as well as technology, and such civilian "assistance" (including most controversially, Psychics) can actually break open a cold case. I would also add 'requests for witnesses' to this avenue of investigation as, is often said, "someone knows something".
2) However, if you care to read to the speculations both here and on other sites, you will find bold accusations and wild goose chases galore - and this involves even the police: after eliminating some persons of interest (the tan colored car), they then focused on Dan Rassier, the farmer whose driveway Jacob was abducted from in 1989. Some bloggers felt so assured of the "evidence" they had collected that they outright called for the prosecution of Rassier. I would think they should now offer an apology online to a person whose life has also been disrupted for the past 27 years, perhaps even ruined, as police have still not removed his name as a so-called "person of interest" even though Heinrich, by his own disclosure of knowledge, is obviously the abductor (and presumed murderer).
So, there are two sides to the coin of online sleuthing: one potentially positive, and one sometimes negative. I caution against wild speculation and subsequent conclusions - as we have seen here, it can be way off base. Also, the inability of police to quickly apprehend a suspect, or bring a case to the point of successful prosecution, is far different that CSI-type TV shows. Police are largely 9 to 5 bureaucrats as well, and we frequently hear about DNA samples backed up at the lab for years, or simply untested at all. I would also say that intrusion by civilians is almost always unwelcome. That is unfortunate, though understandable given that the integrity of an investigation must be maintained, and that police are limited in how they can act. These are just my opinions as a former law enforcement officer.

so was he driving around with a big shovel in the back of that tiny car that night or... ?

This is my first time on here, and I joined particularly because of my interest in the recent developments in the Jacob Wetterling case. I have read almost this entire thread (as well as a few on other sites about this case) so here are my two thoughts on crime solving blogs such as this one:
1) Amatuer sleuths have suggested several avenues that were left unexplored by law enforcement. One blog a few years ago in particular directly led to police linking the sexual assault of another victim in the general area just prior to Jacob's abduction, obtaining a search warrant recently, and uncovering child *advertiser censored* in the home of Danny Heinrich. Once he was in custody, investigators re-opened the Wetterling connection and offered a deal (approved by the Wetterling family, as is required) so that Heinrich would disclose the location of the body remains in exchange for immunity from prosecution - providing closure of a sort. In my opinion, law enforcement moves slowly at times, if at all, given the limitations of the law as well as technology, and such civilian "assistance" (including most controversially, Psychics) can actually break open a cold case. I would also add 'requests for witnesses' to this avenue of investigation as, is often said, "someone knows something".
2) However, if you care to read to the speculations both here and on other sites, you will find bold accusations and wild goose chases galore - and this involves even the police: after eliminating some persons of interest (the tan colored car), they then focused on Dan Rassier, the farmer whose driveway Jacob was abducted from in 1989. Some bloggers felt so assured of the "evidence" they had collected that they outright called for the prosecution of Rassier. I would think they should now offer an apology online to a person whose life has also been disrupted for the past 27 years, perhaps even ruined, as police have still not removed his name as a so-called "person of interest" even though Heinrich, by his own disclosure of knowledge, is obviously the abductor (and presumed murderer).
So, there are two sides to the coin of online sleuthing: one potentially positive, and one sometimes negative. I caution against wild speculation and subsequent conclusions - as we have seen here, it can be way off base. Also, the inability of police to quickly apprehend a suspect, or bring a case to the point of successful prosecution, is far different that CSI-type TV shows. Police are largely 9 to 5 bureaucrats as well, and we frequently hear about DNA samples backed up at the lab for years, or simply untested at all. I would also say that intrusion by civilians is almost always unwelcome. That is unfortunate, though understandable given that the integrity of an investigation must be maintained, and that police are limited in how they can act. These are just my opinions as a former law enforcement officer.

Great post. I never strongly suspected DR, but I have apologized to one I pretty much accused. The lesson I learned is that effective "sleuthing" by the public is a myth because government has a monopoly on information and will not share it, will control it and will use it to their advantage. Consequently, it is really impossible to get the kinds of information needed to solve a case. And if you try, fingers will begin to point at _you_ (speaking of accusations run amok). It's not worth it, as much as I wanted to find Jacob. As "sleuthers" we can be concerned citizens, we can speculate, but it is nigh impossible to solve a case with our hands tied as they are. So, I'm not sure where the line between secrecy and openness should really be as I can see advantages and disadvantages for both. But I do think we need a better system for preventing this kind of behavior and that may be a much bigger subject than what we can address here.

Thank you for your insights! Personally, I don't think there is any real speculation at work when concluding that D Heinrich's behavior was escalating in the two years prior to the abduction and murder of Jacob. It is clearly spelled out in the search warrant. Given that police were aware of a growing number of assaults against pre-adolescent boys, there probably should have been a police statement released to the public ... however, we are talking about something that happened 27 years ago when child abductions were often confusedly interpreted as "runaways".

To take the information in the search warrant one step further, I think it's also legitimate to conclude that Danny had an MO, right down to what he wore, and that it is possible to draw conclusions on what happened to Jacob based on what happened to previous similar victims.

Regarding online and real life vigilantes contacting police because they have a theory - definitely agree with you. 99% of the time it very likely does not add anything to the investigation. On the other hand, occasionally an observation by the public does result in actual evidence that contributes to a conviction. I believe it was an online sleuther who noticed something irregular about concrete bags at the Laci Peterson residence, and that fact was significant.

No, it isn't, and I respectfully disagree. That is other people projecting their own issues. I don't think anyone here has said that, "...this is the reason he was murdered while other children were let go". That goes far beyond what was stated. It is something you added. Indeed, I for one, have plainly stated that DH is solely responsible for what happened to Jacob and even explained why I see it that way, regardless of what actions Jacob did or did not take.

Um, actually that's literally what people have been questioning, stating and speculating about. Several people through out this thread have questioned why Jacob was killed and others let go and have come to the conclusion he must have tried to escape or fought DH. It's been stated over and over again. The bottom line is Jacob is dead because DH wanted to kill him. One of the big problems with victim blaming is most people don't even recognize they are doing it.

so was he driving around with a big shovel in the back of that tiny car that night or... ?

There is probably a shovel on the farm - and perhaps he was familiar with the occupants of the farm; comfortable using a shovel on their property when they were asleep.

Or ... he was clueless and exploding with impulses he couldn't control, thought a "gun" would do his talking, then had his script flipped by an 11 year-old. Then had to ad hoc a solution. And yes, that probably involved returning to the site for a more complete burial, jmo. Would he have escalated the violence and killed Jacob with his bare hands if all had gone according to his fantasy? Who knows? Either way, he probably committed aggravated, 1st degree murder.

Or ... he was clueless and exploding with impulses he couldn't control, thought a "gun" would do his talking, then had his script flipped by an 11 year-old. Then had to ad hoc a solution. And yes, that probably involved returning to the site for a more complete burial, jmo. Would he have escalated the violence and killed Jacob with his bare hands if all had gone according to his fantasy? Who knows? Either way, he probably committed aggravated, 1st degree murder.

My theory as to why he escalated to murder with Jacob is that he was contemplating killing Jared but just about accepted Jared's assurances that he couldn't recognise him. When he realised that Jared had been to the police and given them a description of his abductor the fate of whoever he snatched next was sealed.

And no, before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not blaming Jared.

I'll tell you what is sickening, Googling some of these children and then seeing the dozens and dozens of other children that come up. Wow.

Um, actually that's literally what people have been questioning, stating and speculating about. Several people through out this thread have questioned why Jacob was killed and others let go and have come to the conclusion he must have tried to escape or fought DH. It's been stated over and over again. The bottom line is Jacob is dead because DH wanted to kill him. One of the big problems with victim blaming is most people don't even recognize they are doing it.

Uh, no, that is "literally" not what I said and I don't appreciate being accused of blaming Jacob for his own death based on someone else's imagination about what I meant but clearly did not say. Please find a statement I made in which I stated that Jacob caused his own death, or that his death was because of his own actions. I didn't. You just chose to believe that, especially after I stated in plain English that this was not what I said nor meant. In fact, I've never seen such a statement here by anyone on this forum. It is entirely your imagination. What I do see however, is posters trying to provoke others and stir stuff up with overly emotionally charged accusations. Why?

Also, I do believe there is enough to make the leap to premeditated murder here. He certainly planned a lot.

Thank you for your insights! Personally, I don't think there is any real speculation at work when concluding that D Heinrich's behavior was escalating in the two years prior to the abduction and murder of Jacob. It is clearly spelled out in the search warrant. Given that police were aware of a growing number of assaults against pre-adolescent boys, there probably should have been a police statement released to the public ... however, we are talking about something that happened 27 years ago when child abductions were often confusedly interpreted as "runaways".

To take the information in the search warrant one step further, I think it's also legitimate to conclude that Danny had an MO, right down to what he wore, and that it is possible to draw conclusions on what happened to Jacob based on what happened to previous similar victims.

Regarding online and real life vigilantes contacting police because they have a theory - definitely agree with you. 99% of the time it very likely does not add anything to the investigation. On the other hand, occasionally an observation by the public does result in actual evidence that contributes to a conviction. I believe it was an online sleuther who noticed something irregular about concrete bags at the Laci Peterson residence, and that fact was significant.

To clarify my post: I wasn't referring to any speculation by anyone about Heinrich. Just about the other POI (Dan Rassier, whose driveway Jacob was abducted from).
And, in agreement with you (and almost ever other websleuther on here), in my opinion such insights can be very significant, even though police seldom take them seriously. In this case, of Heinrich, the blogger I was referring to is named Joy Baker (has her own website). Her sleuthing connected the previous assault to the abduction of Jacob, regardless of the inability of the DA to prosecute either case (statute of limitations on the first, and the deal for the Jacob's remains). However, it is highly unlikely Heinrich will beat the possession of child *advertiser censored* charges, which should see him in prison for 25 years (or more), and he is 53 now.

Well, here's Patty Wetterling's question:

"What happened? You probably had other boys that you victimized and released. I think you meant to let him go and something went terribly wrong. "

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/28/justice/patty-wetterling-5-questions/

Doesn't sound like she believes his intention was to kill him. Sounds like she believes there was an X factor ie. Jacob tried to run away, fought back, etc.

I'm with you----I don't understand how that can be construed as victim blaming.

I would say the exact same thing if I were in Patty's shoes. It's like the time I knew a neighbors housekeeper had stolen my Yorkie puppy. I contacted the police and a pet detective. They told me "Even though you know this person stole your puppy. If you want to see her again, if you want to get information on her whereabouts, never mention she was stolen, never mention you called the police. Put up signs saying she is lost and you just want her home with a reward offer." I bit my tongue and I put up the signs and I offered a reward and when I talked to the neighbors I never mentioned I knew she was stolen. I ended up standing in a parking lot handing the housekeeper $500 in exchange for the puppy she stole. It sucked but what was important was I got my puppy back.

When the FBI coaches kidnap victims families they tell them to act kind to the perp. Say they just want their child back or information about their child, no questions asked. The last thing you want to do is anger the perp. You hope and wish you can some how reach the part of them that is human and has a consciousness. Patty was doing that and she always did it very well.

To clarify my post: I wasn't referring to any speculation by anyone about Heinrich. Just about the other POI.
And, in agreement with you (and almost ever other websleuther on here), in my opinion such insights can be very significant, even though police seldom take them seriously. In this case, of Heinrich, the blogger I was referring to is named Joy Baker (has her own website). Her sleuthing connected the previous assault to the abduction of Jacob, regardless of the inability of the DA to prosecute either case (statute of limitations on the first, and the deal for the Jacob's remains). However, it is highly unlikely Heinrich will beat the possession of child *advertiser censored* charges, which should see him in prison for 25 years (or more), and he is 53 now.

Joy didn't discover anything, the police already knew about the other assaults at the time they were happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joy didn't discover anything, the police already knew about the other assaults at the time they were happening.

Based on the search warrant, it seems to me that police were well aware of the escalating violence towards young boys from 1987 until 1989 - including the actual abduction 10 months prior to Jacob's abduction. I don't think they needed help with connecting the dots.

"Heinrich has always maintained he had nothing to do with Jacob's disappearance, and authorities have not publicly said it was Heinrich who led them to Jacob's remains."
From what I understand, Duane was terrorizing children at the same time Heiny was. It just doesn't seem like a one man job.

Two sleuthers were making progress that could have eventually solved this case sooner: Tracker and StinkSprings.

StinkSprings was right by insisting the cars provided essential clues. Go back and read his posts: he alone insisted the blue car DR saw must be the same blue car Jared was abducted in - and StinkSprings was correct.

Actually, you're incorrect about this. Jared was abducted in a 1987 Mercury Topaz. Jacob was abducted in a 1982 Ford Exp.

Actually, you're incorrect about this. Jared was abducted in a 1987 Mercury Topaz. Jacob was abducted in a 1982 Ford Exp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni