Remembering Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Other than careful, steady hands and shoulders, I am curious to know what keeps the orb and sceptre from toppling off of the coffin, especially when the coffin is at an inclined angle while carried on the steps.
The Bearer Party of The Queen's Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards carries the coffin of Queen Elizabeth II, draped in a Royal Standard and adorned with the Imperial State Crown and the Sovereign's orb and sceptre from the Abbey at the State Funeral Service for Britain's Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Abbey on Monday.
Oli Scarff/AFP via Getty Images

Attachments

• 1663707247040.png
    1663707247040.png
    953.2 KB · Views: 4
Other than careful, steady hands and shoulders, I am curious to know what keeps the orb and sceptre from toppling off of the coffin, especially when the coffin is at an inclined angle while carried on the steps.
The Bearer Party of The Queen's Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards carries the coffin of Queen Elizabeth II, draped in a Royal Standard and adorned with the Imperial State Crown and the Sovereign's orb and sceptre from the Abbey at the State Funeral Service for Britain's Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Abbey on Monday.
BBM
How hidden fixtures on the Queen's coffin kept the Orb, Sceptre and Crown from falling off

"Many viewers had wondered how the symbols of sovereignty appeared so unmoving during the lengthy journey – a mystery solved as they were carefully removed from the coffin during the committal.

Cameras revealed that special fixtures had been attached to the monarch’s coffin, with rods protruding discreetly from beneath the Royal Standard flag to bear the sceptre slightly aloft from the lead-lined oak coffin.

A separate fixture was used to keep the orb fixed unmovingly in place, with a discreet mounting in the coffin – and a small spike attached to the bottom of the orb itself – keeping the sphere firmly in place and stopping it from rolling around as it was carried up inclines."

Towards the top of the scepter's incline, there appears to be a gold ring fastener into which it is slipped. I believe the orb is resting on some kind of pin or something, because I noticed those details when they were being removed from her coffin and placed on those purple cushions.

ETA: @PatLaurel I just saw your post after I hit "send."

Thank you for that detailed explanation!

There was a locking system on the sceptre and the orb had what appeared to be a cross on the bottom that was attached to hardware on the pillow.

Both had to be removed, carefully, by the Crown Jeweller.

Nothing was about to fall, guaranteed.

Towards the top of the scepter's incline, there appears to be a gold ring fastener into which it is slipped. I believe the orb is resting on some kind of pin or something, because I noticed those details when they were being removed from her coffin and placed on those purple cushions.

ETA: @PatLaurel I just saw your post after I hit "send."

Thank you for that detailed explanation!
BBM
No problem! We posted at the same time...

SEI_126106939-2.jpg
SEI_126106939.jpg

Strange positioning of senior Royals as they wait to be taken for burial of Queen Elizabeth.

The good old British ‘turn your backs on them’ in force, it seems.
I believe they were lined up to fall in behind the coffin. They couldn't very well march backwards. IMO "much ado about nothing". Strategic story telling.

I believe they were lined up to fall in behind the coffin. They couldn't very well march backwards. IMO "much ado about nothing". Strategic story telling.

It was last evening, when only senior Royals buried the Queen in the crypt.

Hours after the coffin had been lowered.

You never know unless you were present but I have enough British relatives to recognize the ‘turn your back on them’ when I see it.

Its considered to be polite form of protest.

Hope Harry noticed, he could do worse than cancel his book and try to rejoin his kinfolk. IMO

"I didn't expect this to happen. But I was deeply moved Monday by the TV image of Queen Elizabeth's coffin being lowered into its vault at St. George's Chapel in Windsor with the queen's bagpiper playing her to rest.
The choreography of him playing as he walked alone down a darkened castle corridor and then disappeared seemed ancient, eternal and profound. It tapped straight into what the psychologist Carl Jung described as the collective unconscious. It felt like I was part of something as old as humanity itself as I watched.''

''Now, I wonder if her funeral will be one of the media events that historian use to mark the end of the TV era. Watching the events Monday, it is hard to believe we will ever see such a grand and powerful global television event again.
Will any of those people on the roadsides ever have a ruler who served for 70 years as a symbol of constancy during a time when the nation endured enormous change? Will the new media landscape of digital channels catering to individual, siloed consumption ever bring audiences together the way television did during shared moments of national celebration and tragedy in the post-World-War-II era?''

"I didn't expect this to happen. But I was deeply moved Monday by the TV image of Queen Elizabeth's coffin being lowered into its vault at St. George's Chapel in Windsor with the queen's bagpiper playing her to rest.
The choreography of him playing as he walked alone down a darkened castle corridor and then disappeared seemed ancient, eternal and profound. It tapped straight into what the psychologist Carl Jung described as the collective unconscious. It felt like I was part of something as old as humanity itself as I watched.''

''Now, I wonder if her funeral will be one of the media events that historian use to mark the end of the TV era. Watching the events Monday, it is hard to believe we will ever see such a grand and powerful global television event again.
Will any of those people on the roadsides ever have a ruler who served for 70 years as a symbol of constancy during a time when the nation endured enormous change? Will the new media landscape of digital channels catering to individual, siloed consumption ever bring audiences together the way television did during shared moments of national celebration and tragedy in the post-World-War-II era?''

I love these kinds of stories.

She was quick and funny and suffered no fools.

It took me out when the Queen’s personal piper played as her coffin was being lowered, then he turned and walked away while still playing. So moving.

Everyone in this thread has been great company the last weeks as we all took in and shared in this emotional and historical event.

This has been a meaningful outlet for me as a huge history geek specifically of medieval kings and queens. The Windsor’s have always fascinated me as well. I’m very sad to see the end of the second Elizabethan era. imo

Attachments

• 439AFC2E-8278-48CF-9D86-84A5862418E4.jpeg
    439AFC2E-8278-48CF-9D86-84A5862418E4.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 12
The former president also recalled a sweet moment between the families, when the queen invited Michelle and the couple’s daughters, Sasha and Malia, to tea.
“She then offered the girls to drive in her golden carriage around the grounds of Buckingham Palace,” he said. “It was the sort of generosity and consideration that left a mark in my daughter’s lives that’s still there.”

This is from yesterday, so might have already been posted, but ... the Queen's role in Commonwealth Nations

"Throughout her reign, the Queen routinely referred to Canada as "home." ...

Mulroney said the Queen felt "a special, very deep love for Canada — its diversity, its geography and its history," a genuine affinity for a country she regarded as "the greatest one in her realm."

The Quebec-born former prime minister said he thinks Canada is as successful as it is now because of the stability of our Westminster system of parliamentary democracy, where the constitutional monarch is central.

Mulroney also pointed to the role the Queen played in helping to end apartheid in South Africa. He said that triumph "would never have taken place in the Commonwealth had it not been for Her Majesty's discreet, brilliant and generous guidance and unerring instinct for the victory we all sought."

"The Queen, as the representative of the Crown, was the symbol of democratic legitimacy," Clarkson said. Recalling the Queen signing the Constitution Act in 1982, Clarkson said the monarch "signed over to us what is rightfully ours — our human rights, our human freedom."

In my area, Central West, New South Wales, Australia, a couple of churches, the Anglican and the Catholic are getting together to host a ecumenical memorial service in honour of the late Queen Elizabeth 11.

It's behind a paywall, but it doesn't consist of much more than I've paraphrased.

Well over half the adult population of the UK tuned in at home to watch the funeral on Monday. Other major TV events with similar viewing figures include:

World Cup final 1966
Diana’s funeral in 1997
London Olympics 2012
Boris’s Covid speech 2020
… and Den serving divorce papers on Angie on Eastenders 1986

This figure doesn’t include those watching on live stream, or in public places, which must account for a few more million each.

Lovely to see the rest of the world marking the occasion, too. Thanks for caring.

Queen Elizabeth has sort of bookended my life. I watched her coronation on a neighbor’s TV when I was 7 in 1953, and now her funeral in 2022 at age 76. In between, I admired her from afar. As I wrote in a poem at around age 8 or 9 that I now only partially remember…

The Queen is good
The Queen is fair
The Queen is pretty everywhere…

And when the Queen is on her own
She takes her dogs out all alone.

I wish I could find a copy stuffed away in a box. I will miss her beautiful smile and her strong spirit. She carried the role thrust upon her with grace combined with duty…a worthy goal for any of us. I will never forget her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase
Back