AL Renee Bergeron aka Maria Martinez, 27, tortured & decapitated, Mobile County, 13 Nov.1993*new*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Mobile County Sheriff’s Office looking for information on cold case
June 29 2020
renee-bergeron.jpg

''MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — The Mobile County Sheriff’s Office is looking for information on a cold case from 1993.

Renee Bergeron aka Maria Martinez was last seen alive on Nov. 13, 1993. The next day, Nov. 14, her mutilated remains were located on the I-10 Service Road in Theodore. Renee resided in Theodore and had a little girl. MCSO is searching for information from anyone who may remember seeing Renee on the night of her murder or knows who she might would have been with.

Below are pictures of Renee, as well as pictures of a few of the bars that were located in the Theodore area. If you saw Renee or have any information about her death, please call 251-574-8633. If you would like to send an email, go to coldcase@mobileso.com. The sheriff’s office is also looking for anyone who may have worked at The Old Mill, Jerry’s Cabaret, Top Gun or Knot’s Landing.''
  • renee-2.jpg
  • renee-3.jpg

Sept 10, 2007
The Bergeron Death
''The person who killed Bergeron "really had it in for the woman," he said. "It was a protracted anger, and they wanted to try to mask the identity and that was one reason for cutting the head off."

''It was in November 1993 when a motorist discovered the headless body in a ditch alongside the Interstate 10 service road near Irvington. Investigators said Bergeron's sex organs had been mutilated.''

''According to family members, friends and law enforcement officers, the 27-year-old Bergeron had lived a double life.
A pretty woman, she was one of six dark-haired children from a Cajun family in Marrero, La.''

The week of her death, Bergeron had returned from a two-month trip to Texas and Chicago, where she had modeled and worked in clubs, Hill said. Once back in Mobile, she seemed afraid of something, he said.

A few days later, she was dead. Her killer left her sexually mutilated and with a vertical cut between her breasts, according to an ambulance attendant who helped remove the headless body from the scene.''

''In December 1993, Tom Streed, a criminal psychologist who at the time headed the Academy of Justice in San Diego, described Bergeron's killer as a psycho-sexual predator who would fit into one of two categories.''
"One kind is more structured, more organized and manipulative in ways he goes about selecting, stalking and victimizing his victim," Streed said, noting that type of killer was looking for privacy, often taking the victim to another location. "The other type tends to leave their victims where they kill them," he said.''

How did she seem afraid of someone? This has to be about drugs, probably a Mexican cartel. Another thing; torturing and mutilating the bodies is what they do in Mexico. They also behead people. Probably sexually mutilated her to torture her or to make it look like a serial killer. It’s drugs, just like the West Mesa murders. They gotta send a message. Sad.

Last edited:
A new true crime podcast from Investigation Discovery is set to feature a Mobile County cold case in this eight-episode series. “Why Can’t We Talk About Amanda’s Mom?” will discuss the case of a woman found in Mobile in 1993.

In November 1993 the body of Renee Bergeron was found on a dirt road near I-10 in Mobile. She was found nude, decapitated and all the blood had been drained out of her body. 30 years later her killer has still not been caught.

Sarah Cailean, former sex crimes detective and current civilian special investigator for the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office, hosts the series and delves into the 1993 investigation.

The first episode of the podcast will be released on Wednesday, Feb. 22. The episodes will be released on a weekly basis every Wednesday.

Background video older from 2 years ago:

Article from 2021 with some additional photos.

Article from 2021 with some additional photos.

From link, thanks!
rbbm.
1676318321194.png
"The nature of the way her body was displayed. The way she was found, told me a lot from the moment I looked at it that this was probably not having something to do with, you know, a drug deal gone bad, which had been the hypothesis back in the early 90s. But in fact was a sexual homicide, was something that had more to do with a personal interaction, or with a killer who was motivated by some sort of sexual compulsion," said investigator Sarah Cailean.

Perhaps, the work of a serial killer.''

''The 26-year-old was living under the alias Maria Martinez at the time of her murder and spent time at the Old Mill and Knott's Landing. Bars where people may have seen or heard something about the horrific slaying.''

''There are several people of interest in this case, who are still alive. DNA that's been re-submitted to a lab may also play an important role. If you have a tip about this case, contact the sheriff's office. You can do so anonymously here: Crime Tips | Mobile County Sheriff's Office''

Graphic details.
May 18, 2018 rbbm.
''On November 14, 1993, a passer-by discovered a body along a dirt road off I-10 in Irvington

“The body was dragged in a face-down condition that mutilated the body severely,” said then Sheriff’s Office spokesman Gardner Wilcox.

That was an understatement. The body was missing its head. Dogs were brought in to locate it and the next day they did.

And the decapitation was only part of the horrible story. The woman’s breasts were severed and her sex organs mutilated. It was a murder that then-Sheriff Tom Purvis would describe as one of the worst he saw in his career.''

''Mobile attorney Rick Williams represented Bergeron on a robbery charge. She had also been arrested numerous times for drugs and was known as a prostitute in the Theodore area.

“She ran in a pretty bad circle,” said Williams. “I’m not sure if it was gang affiliated or what, but with persons who had criminal enterprising going on, and she was maybe not part of it, but she certainly had quite a bit of knowledge of it.”

After Bergeron’s body was found, her boyfriend, who also had a criminal record, was questioned but passed a polygraph test. He told police that Burgeron had just come back from a couple months working at strip clubs in Chicago and Texas and may have been involved with some unsavory people there.

“I think it was somebody trying to send a message,” surmised Williams.''

After listening to the podcast, they need to look into David Young’s brother in law—the police officer with the seedy reputation who also owned the trailer Renee would stay in when she “was scared” or hiding out.

After listening to the podcast, they need to look into David Young’s brother in law—the police officer with the seedy reputation who also owned the trailer Renee would stay in when she “was scared” or hiding out.
I feel like he knew her more than was let on and this crime was “more than likely”committed by someone she knew.

Just coming here to bump the thread because I’ve just finished up the excellent podcast upthread, and I figured anything to help the momentum. I appreciated the way this podcaster/detective made sure we knew who Renee was as a real person with people who loved her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back