Rescued beagles experience grass & sunlight for the 1st time

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Micci, I don't feel bad about being stoned - if I wasn't, I'd be in some serious pain, so I'd rather take a few pills and avoid that part of today. LOL. But not so stoned that I can't make sure Romi is good.

And he is doing really well...I'm very pleased and happy...he's actually sleeping so deeply he's snoring; I missed his snoring last night, and it's absolutely wonderful to hear it. LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

Aww, I bet he's so glad to be home.

I think he is glad to be home. He's snugged up on his hearth; he's stoned; he's got everything he needs for a good night; Gracie is being a good girl and watching over him; and the occasional kitty hops in and hangs out for a while.

He's doing well. Now, it's just a matter of making sure there's no infection starting, and he'll be just fine in two weeks...

Best-
Herding Cats

Adding the photos (sorry they're a bit blurry...)

What they took out of his tummy...
Scan0130-1.jpg

After surgery, happy to see Mom
Scan0129-1-1.jpg

I swear. I don't know where that stuff came from, I don't know what it is, I don't have the beginnings of a clue what was going through his mind.

Just good grief, you know?

Best-
Herding Cats

What the hell is all that stuff? Did the vet tell you how to avoid him doing that again? :yow: :waitasec:

That picture is cute. He is worth $2,400.

BTW, has anyone considered that Simon might have crammed that stuff down his throat? :waitasec:

BTW, has anyone considered that Simon might have crammed that stuff down his throat? :waitasec:

If this was the Big Black Boulder Grace, yes, I'd have to consider it. But it's Romi...and Simon has actually taken a shine to him and has been known to curl up near him. So...no, I don't think we can blame this on Boogs.

Bless his heart. He's doing fine this morning; still sore and recovering, of course, but fine. Eating, peeing, medicated for pain, so all is well in Romi land.

I'm not yet medicated for pain, but I soon will be. LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

Maybe we can chalk the contents of his stomach up to the fact that he grew up in a laboratory cage and did not ever learn, as puppies usually do, what is good to eat and what is not. Maybe it's because Romi was denied so much during his life in captivity, he just eats everything he sees -- or maybe it's the canine form of pica.

I'm just thrilled he's okay!!

Penelope, Sayd said something similar about the puppy stage...and my best friend said "puppy Pica??" when I told her what we'd discovered in Romi's belly.

Both ideas have merit. I am going to have to look at them hard. I still think that it's probably linked to anxiety, but I am willing to look at anything and everything.

He's doing well today, but he and Grace had a face off last night. She looked at him in his pen, and he growled. So she barked. So he growled louder. Lip curling and everything. I separated them before he got to his feet ("Gracie, leave it. LEAVE it. LEAVE IT. Now. Leave it. Leave it, leave it. Oh hey, where's Stuffie??" LOL Sigh...), but it's apparent he has a possessive streak right now.

Linking that possessive thing last night with the bone issue, and with the barking, and with the whining, and with the hiding, I think it's far more likely he's got some heavy anxiety issues going on...

I am going to have to figure out what he can be "possessive" about, and start to give him boundaries along those lines. I am looking at getting a dog house for him, that Grace can't get into (won't be too hard...she is still growing!), and am considering the Thundershirt (hints down from pets corner), as well as some puppy prozac so that I can start to break the cycle.

I will say this: I am wondering if someone didn't throw something into the yard.

On Tuesday morning, after I came home from errands, I found two notes taped to my front door. Apparently, someone from Animal Control came by to give me a warning about the "barking hound." And yes, while that pissed me off and I was pretty defensive (I mean, why didn't whomever it was talk to me first??), when I called the city to talk to them, they said that there is nothing they're going to do (the events with Katrina the Shepherd as made me some good contacts there), it is something that I need to work on. I assured them I was working on it...and they said not to worry.

But then...and maybe I'm just suspicious...but then, that afternoon, Romi ends up in emergency surgery.

So yeah, I'm thinking that maybe someone threw something over the fence, and he either ate it or it upset him very much, and he went on a "binge" trying to settle his belly and/or make him vomit (which would explain a lot of the stuff that I just don't know where it came from).

I just don't know. I really don't know. All I know is that something needs to change, so that Romi can be safe and happy. I will make some changes in his environment, and give him a few tools somehow (thundershirt, dog house) that will allow him some refuge. And I will see what I can do about the possessiveness.

But if someone is pitching stuff over the fence...well...if I catch them at it, there will be hell to pay. KWIM? Right now, I'm not sure that happened, but sometimes, coincidences aren't actually coincidences...but if there is someone tossing things in, I will be beyond furious. Mama Bear kinda furious.

Well. Other than that rambling, he's doing really well this morning. I've been watching his incision, and it looks really good. His pain is handled with the fentenyl patch and tramadol; he is on antibiotics; and he's also on ulcer meds (not because he has an ulcer, but to make sure he doesn't develop one). He's eating well, peeing well, and is tucked onto his hearth, quiet and resting.

Best-
Herding Cats

I've not posted in this thread before but I've read every bit of it I think. :seeya:
I'm thinking that the barking complaint came from that brief time you had Katrina in your home and she was so agitated and agitated everyone else.
Because I believe you've said that Grace and Romi don't bark much, right?
Sooo glad that Romi is doing so well. The junk in his belly is mind boggling~!

I must say, HC, I read everything you post. . . you have a wonderful way with words and make it all so interesting. Thanks.

Penelope, Sayd said something similar about the puppy stage...and my best friend said "puppy Pica??" when I told her what we'd discovered in Romi's belly.

Both ideas have merit. I am going to have to look at them hard. I still think that it's probably linked to anxiety, but I am willing to look at anything and everything.

He's doing well today, but he and Grace had a face off last night. She looked at him in his pen, and he growled. So she barked. So he growled louder. Lip curling and everything. I separated them before he got to his feet ("Gracie, leave it. LEAVE it. LEAVE IT. Now. Leave it. Leave it, leave it. Oh hey, where's Stuffie??" LOL Sigh...), but it's apparent he has a possessive streak right now.

Linking that possessive thing last night with the bone issue, and with the barking, and with the whining, and with the hiding, I think it's far more likely he's got some heavy anxiety issues going on...

I am going to have to figure out what he can be "possessive" about, and start to give him boundaries along those lines. I am looking at getting a dog house for him, that Grace can't get into (won't be too hard...she is still growing!), and am considering the Thundershirt (hints down from pets corner), as well as some puppy prozac so that I can start to break the cycle.

I will say this: I am wondering if someone didn't throw something into the yard.

On Tuesday morning, after I came home from errands, I found two notes taped to my front door. Apparently, someone from Animal Control came by to give me a warning about the "barking hound." And yes, while that pissed me off and I was pretty defensive (I mean, why didn't whomever it was talk to me first??), when I called the city to talk to them, they said that there is nothing they're going to do (the events with Katrina the Shepherd as made me some good contacts there), it is something that I need to work on. I assured them I was working on it...and they said not to worry.

But then...and maybe I'm just suspicious...but then, that afternoon, Romi ends up in emergency surgery.

So yeah, I'm thinking that maybe someone threw something over the fence, and he either ate it or it upset him very much, and he went on a "binge" trying to settle his belly and/or make him vomit (which would explain a lot of the stuff that I just don't know where it came from).

I just don't know. I really don't know. All I know is that something needs to change, so that Romi can be safe and happy. I will make some changes in his environment, and give him a few tools somehow (thundershirt, dog house) that will allow him some refuge. And I will see what I can do about the possessiveness.

But if someone is pitching stuff over the fence...well...if I catch them at it, there will be hell to pay. KWIM? Right now, I'm not sure that happened, but sometimes, coincidences aren't actually coincidences...but if there is someone tossing things in, I will be beyond furious. Mama Bear kinda furious.

Well. Other than that rambling, he's doing really well this morning. I've been watching his incision, and it looks really good. His pain is handled with the fentenyl patch and tramadol; he is on antibiotics; and he's also on ulcer meds (not because he has an ulcer, but to make sure he doesn't develop one). He's eating well, peeing well, and is tucked onto his hearth, quiet and resting.

Best-
Herding Cats

I used to own a hobby farm but moved onto a half-acre property in a small rural town two years after my husband's death. Everyone in town is a pet lover except one man who happens to live diagonally across from me. He complains if he hears a dog bark after 9:30 at night and before 8 am the next morning, even though the town by-laws list quiet time from 11 pm to 6 am. Unfortunately, it just takes one nasty, angry animal-hater in a town or neighbourhood to ruin it for everyone. I have come to a truce with the man, but an always nervous he'll throw poisoned meat over the fence some day when he is bothered by the barking. I certainly hope that did not happen with Romi, but you never know.

I used to own a hobby farm but moved onto a half-acre property in a small rural town two years after my husband's death. Everyone in town is a pet lover except one man who happens to live diagonally across from me. He complains if he hears a dog bark after 9:30 at night and before 8 am the next morning, even though the town by-laws list quiet time from 11 pm to 6 am. Unfortunately, it just takes one nasty, angry animal-hater in a town or neighbourhood to ruin it for everyone. I have come to a truce with the man, but an always nervous he'll throw poisoned meat over the fence some day when he is bothered by the barking. I certainly hope that did not happen with Romi, but you never know.

That happened to my neighbors dog. Neighbor on other side didn't like their dog & the dog ended up dying from eating poisoned meat. There was never any proof who gave the dog the meat (even though dog never went out of their fenced yard), so nothing they could do. :(

Final surgery update...

Little guy is doing wonderfully. So wonderfully, in fact, that I can't even tell he's had surgery, let alone major surgery.

He has not really regressed much; a wee bit, but not much. He's gone on car rides, gone on one walk, and last night brought much needed laughter into the living room by chasing his tail; and when he was unable to catch it, he chased Gracie's...and caught it.

He is, for all extents and purposes, healed. And I cannot express my relief.

We are making some changes: he is inside a bit more than he had been (and the barking has lessened a great deal), and his own castle has been ordered; it should be here on 5/1 or thereabouts. I am also looking for a thundershirt for him, and hopefully, I will find one that doesn't have to be washed every day because of the strap on the butt. I can imagine that gets messy...ew. LOL.

He is starting obedience training with me (by ourselves), and will be learning some of the basic rules - sit, stay, leave it, quiet, and so on. It's been very hard to train him, because he hasn't been willing to take treats from me, until I made a batch of beef jerky in the dehydrator. He now will take those from me, and is terribly thrilled about it. It's just a matter of getting him to do the requested action, and giving him a bite of jerky, and linking those together.

Gracie is also relieved to get her buddy back...she has been so gentle and kind to him while he's been recovering, and today, I watched as he jumped and caught her ear in his teeth, and pulled...and she slung her front leg over him and rolled him. He got up, grinning, and came back for more.

So good to see them playing together again...

I will be working on the anxiety issues, and of course, any and all suggestions are welcome.

and thanks for all the prayers and support. This little guy is back, all the way...and I am so grateful. He's so dear.

Best-
Herding Cats

Final surgery update...

Little guy is doing wonderfully. So wonderfully, in fact, that I can't even tell he's had surgery, let alone major surgery.

He has not really regressed much; a wee bit, but not much. He's gone on car rides, gone on one walk, and last night brought much needed laughter into the living room by chasing his tail; and when he was unable to catch it, he chased Gracie's...and caught it.

He is, for all extents and purposes, healed. And I cannot express my relief.

We are making some changes: he is inside a bit more than he had been (and the barking has lessened a great deal), and his own castle has been ordered; it should be here on 5/1 or thereabouts. I am also looking for a thundershirt for him, and hopefully, I will find one that doesn't have to be washed every day because of the strap on the butt. I can imagine that gets messy...ew. LOL.

He is starting obedience training with me (by ourselves), and will be learning some of the basic rules - sit, stay, leave it, quiet, and so on. It's been very hard to train him, because he hasn't been willing to take treats from me, until I made a batch of beef jerky in the dehydrator. He now will take those from me, and is terribly thrilled about it. It's just a matter of getting him to do the requested action, and giving him a bite of jerky, and linking those together.

Gracie is also relieved to get her buddy back...she has been so gentle and kind to him while he's been recovering, and today, I watched as he jumped and caught her ear in his teeth, and pulled...and she slung her front leg over him and rolled him. He got up, grinning, and came back for more.

So good to see them playing together again...

I will be working on the anxiety issues, and of course, any and all suggestions are welcome.

and thanks for all the prayers and support. This little guy is back, all the way...and I am so grateful. He's so dear.

Best-
Herding Cats

Yay Romi!!! :clap:

HC, I am so glad to hear that Romi is all well. I must tell you, you are such a good and caring mommy to your furry babies.

I also am glad that your dear Romi has fully recovered with little ill effects to his behaviour. I am sure that a lot of it is because of the security he gets from having you, Gracie and the cats around! May you now all have many calm months and years together!

Oh my word, I just blew Romi's mind.

See, my bathroom has a set of windows that open into the side yard (where the A/C, hot water heater, and so on are housed). I normally have a small fence that blocks the dogs from getting in there, but apparently, they've gotten it down (sometimes the gardeners leave it down, too).

Anyway, it's not an area Romi is used to hearing my voice. Gracie knows about windows, and thinks it's neat to "talk" with me through them. Romi, though...well...

Let's just say he had a hard time understanding I was in the window, talking to him, and not the hole in the wall that he's never even looked at before.

He was sooooooooo cute, standing there...thinking it through. Gracie was jumping up at the window, "chatting" away, but he was just standing there, ears perked up, staring at me, very, very confused.

It was just too cute...had to share. It just reminds me of how much he *doesn't* know, hasn't experienced, and gets startled by...even with his Gracie near to hand.

He was quite relieved to see me at the back door afterwards. :) Just thought I'd share that little experience...

Best-
Herding Cats

Awww. Such a big world that he has never seen. Thanks for sharing that. I can just picture it.

Oh my word, I just blew Romi's mind.

See, my bathroom has a set of windows that open into the side yard (where the A/C, hot water heater, and so on are housed). I normally have a small fence that blocks the dogs from getting in there, but apparently, they've gotten it down (sometimes the gardeners leave it down, too).

Anyway, it's not an area Romi is used to hearing my voice. Gracie knows about windows, and thinks it's neat to "talk" with me through them. Romi, though...well...

Let's just say he had a hard time understanding I was in the window, talking to him, and not the hole in the wall that he's never even looked at before.

He was sooooooooo cute, standing there...thinking it through. Gracie was jumping up at the window, "chatting" away, but he was just standing there, ears perked up, staring at me, very, very confused.

It was just too cute...had to share. It just reminds me of how much he *doesn't* know, hasn't experienced, and gets startled by...even with his Gracie near to hand.

He was quite relieved to see me at the back door afterwards. :) Just thought I'd share that little experience...

Best-
Herding Cats

It's good to confuse your animals every now and then.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Je1CEPkUM"]Monty Python - Confuse-A-Cat - YouTube[/ame]

While not a huge fan of Monty Python, that was very cute. Yes, Romi was indeed confused...he got over it quickly, but it was just too funny to see him down there, ears cocked, expression of immense puzzlement in his eyes...I felt bad for him, but I still laughed.

Thanks for the giggles with my morning cuppa...confuse-a-cat is a technique I use here when there are far too many lumps holding down the floor.

Best-
Herding Cats
(and confusing them, too)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members