Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 11/14/14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is Juan Martinez is saying that the Defense Team powered up the TA computer IN FRONT OF Martinez and Flores. Says they even had to go and find a power cord for this. WTH? Why would anybody ever be powering up that computer?

The protocol for forensic examination as taught in certified courses is to physically remove the hard disk from the computer, insert it into the Encase (or other company) copying device. The Encase copying device then makes a mirror image of the hard disk, using a special encryption process. It is this encryption process that is at the heart of the Encase software program. It creates digital encrypted "signatures" all along the way as it is copying the files. If a file gets changed, the encrypted signature - which is an encoded numerical system - can NOT be duplicated. Thus, any change to a file would show up.

Was the Defense Team at the Evidence Room that day in order to make a "fresh" mirror copy from the hard disk? If so, they would have had to have their Encase copying device with them. Did they power up the TA computer PRIOR to removing the hard disk? If they did, they screwed up. And yes, an anti-virus program could have started up and run automatically when the laptop with hard disk in it was powered on.

BUT, to me, even with some viruses on board, that computer would not have had THOUSANDS of files erased. An anti-virus scan is just that. It looks for malware files and acts on them. Usually it "quarantines" the Trojans, viruses, and other crap and then asks you, the user, how you want to handle these quarantined files. You can look through them and delete files individually or you can delete them all at one. Then you must restart the computer.

Somewhere along the way in the not too distant future, each and every person who went near that computer will need to give a sworn statement as to what they actually did with it.

Also, there would be a pristine copy of the original mirror image in the evidence room along with the computer. Nobody works from the original mirror image. They work from copies of the original mirror image.

I see that the Encase company is now offering "cloud storage" for these original mirror images. As part of this service they will provide a mirror disk to whomever the Prosecutors direct them to. It says they will also perform a comparative scan of the original mirror image once per month to make sure nothing on it has changed.

Another service they are offering is to businesses. Encase enters into a contract with a company to have remote viewing capabilities for ALL of their computers. They set up the hardware so it works on the company network. No one who is using the company network would know this is on there. Encase can then go into any computer on the company network at any time, as per the directions of the company that hired them.

So unlike having to download a software program onto your actual computer for someone to have remote access, this is all contained within the company network itself. Oh, and Encase will send regular reports to the employer, based on whatever the employer wants to know. Internet usage? How much time on the Internet? Emails? Photos?

Oh I am so glad I am retired!

Interesting. Was Encase capable of all this in 2008? Any thoughts on how much things have changed since then?

I thought all opinions were to be respected on WS. YES, she's guilty. All by her lonesome. But discuss other ideas without becoming a school-yard bully? Just sayin'.

Quotes are messed up (just saying)

YES ... all ideas are welcome here ... but JODI admitted to Killing Travis. Do we just "forget that"?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your correction! Not saying we forget JA IS a murdering beeotch. Just saying when someone offers an alternative opinion, you can disagree without being "in 'da face." Agree to disagree.

Thank you very much for answering my question. I haven't said it before, but I really appreciate your legal mind and the way in which you respond so even a lay person understands. So thanks again.

Ditto. Much appreciated and admired.

I have not been really following this case until couple of weeks ago when some of my pathologist friends showed me the pics of the crime scene and a pathology report guess what I saw, I saw two attackers killing a man. That's what my gut told me.

Here's what I saw without knowing anything about the case:
Someone traps the victim in the master bedroom and starts sodomizing the victim at gun point, but after about 10 to 20 minutes of sodomizing the victim manages to "attack" one of his attackers back in the his last lunge when one of the victim's attackers turns his attention away from him. In all that commotion the victim and one of his attackers end up by the sink with the victim on top of one his of attackers and then the second attacker walks up to the victim on top of the other attacker points the gun at the victim, the victim turns his head and looks up at the second attacker that's when the victim gets shot in the head. Thereafter the enraged attacker takes his knife and stabs the victim vertically in the throat and then in one fell swoop the victim's attacker cuts the victim's throat from ear to ear, but the attacker is not satisfied with it and he goes on to inflict some really deep stabs wounds in a fit of rage.

Of course, I know that things may take weird shapes with stuff like that, but I'm telling you guys there's something off about the crime scene and it's starting to drive my freakin' nuts...

Welcome Predator, I figured now is as good a time as any to jump in myself, although I did post a couple of days ago too. Anyway, I have always thought MM was involved with this murder because I just couldn't make myself believe CMJA was able to pull this off by herself without having more than a couple of cuts on her finger. I have no ideas on how it took place except I do believe that is how some of the evidence was left like it was, for example the camera, he may have been responsible for it and not knowing a lot about them thought he could ruin it with the wash. Imo that is why she says that she knows he would never turn on her. Just a thought. Imoo

------------------
Yes Hambirg and why would she keep going back for more.:eek:hwow:

Because she's a psycho B from hell that makes the Glenn Close character in Fatal Attraction look like a nun that teaches underprivileged kindergarteners.

I know that the brutal murder of TA is not a laughing matter, far from it. But I can't help, when I wander in here, thinking of the Almost Live (sketch comedy tv show from Seattle) "Worst Girlfriend in the World" skits; especially this one. . .

[video=youtube;-cHVfynwev4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cHVfynwev4[/video]

I do hope Juan hits this point home as well. I am sure we all know friends who have been victimized by abusers. My friend from high school was literally trapped for a decade with a violent husband. We knew nothing about it until years later after she had escaped and lived on the run with her 2 kids. It was not until he was incarcerated for another crime that she was safe enough to return to her hometown. He moved them across country, isolated her, beat her and threatened her constantly, saying he'd kill her parents if she tried to leave him. THAT Is an abusive relationship. Not someone who dates 2 girls at the same time and hurts their feelings. FGS

Yes, I think most of us have a friend like your's. CMJA wasn't a battered wife. She is a vindictive sociopath that couldn't except that TA just wasn't that into her. Remember that book. . .He's Just Not That Into You? Too bad nobody bothered to buy it for CMJA. When a man decides you are not the woman for him, it's not a reflection on you. You're just not "The One." Somewhere out there, there is a man that thinks you are "The One." No harm, no foul. Move On!!!

Wow, how spot on is this?

Travis was a young and successful entrepreneur with a 5 bedroom home. Arias was a High School drop out content to take pictures of the two globetrotting on Alexander’s dime.

Arias converted to the Mormon faith in her efforts to win the wedded affections of the handsome upstart she moved to Mesa from her hometown of Yreka, CA for.

Travis decided he wanted a Mormon do-over with a suitable young woman and asked Arias to move on. Arias returned to her family home (or pretended to) and diligently stalked her way through waiting out the *friends with benefits* routine she was sure to cure Travis of.

When Arias learned Travis was headed to Cancun with a woman he had just begun dating it was clear Jodi was not fond of giving up what she considered her earned frequent flyer spot.

Spot on! CMJA just wasn't what TA was looking for. And I truly believe it was probably his internal instincts going off about CMJA. He sensed something wasn't right with her. . and he tried to distance himself. We spend a lot of time warning our daughters about the potenial dangers out there. . .maybe we need to spend a little bit more time stressing the same to our sons. Generally, how many of us really believe that a woman like CMJA could be dangerous to a man? If it comes down to a life and death struggle between a man or a woman, we generally believe that the man can overtake a woman. But look what happened here. Poor TA, she waited until he was absolutely at his most vulnerable. . .naked in the shower. . .and she was armed! CMJA is the lowest of the low! She clearly premediated this, otherwise she wouldn't have stood a chance. TA never saw it coming. Even in that last pic in the shower, he doesn't look terrified. He looks annoyed.

I have been reading and following, although not commenting too much. This week was totally boring. Another "expert" who tries to paint Travis in a negative light from 3 emails and acting like any other "normal" person while dating. If the value of one's life is based on 3 emails in their worst moments, after 30 years of living, then shame on us. I have lived many more years and have sent a few emails in my day, far worse than these. Thank God nobody will judge me based on my most vulnerable moments, nor think I deserve to die for living the life I chose. The killer had every opportunity to walk away if she didn't like how she was being treated. She lived in another state! She made the CHOICE to premeditate this killing and make Travis suffer. I only hope her God, judges her as harsh as she and others have judged Travis. It's sickening. None of this has anything to do with mitigation and I can't figure out why Nurmi is going down this path AGAIN. There is no remorse being shown, only excuses. Well, I guess not even excuses. So odd. The entire T-Dogg/Jekyll and Hyde thing has me fuming. I don't think it will go over very well with the jury, especially when they put the relationship into perspective. It was only 5 MONTHS for pete's sake. Reading line by line of the emails and going on and on for 2 days, makes it seem like it was years. Juan will put it into context, like he always does, and it will be all over, even the ones who may have believed once minute or two hours of this testiphony. Where did they get this "expert?" I can't wait to hear about her credentials from Juan Martinez. Seems like it was skipped over. :facepalm: All I know is this is NOT helping the convicted killer. GOOD!

Thanks to everyone for keeping us all up to date and thank you to our fantastic attorneys, who are invaluable through this process...especially AZL! You rock!

I have had this elephant picture on my hard drive since the first trial. Never figured out how to resize it and put it in my signature. For some reason, it reminds me of Travis. Don't know why since I didn't know him.

I can't wait for Justice for Travis. Justice to me will be not hearing from this killer again, nor her family or the scamilies. Justice will be when the Alexanders are able to heal from the devastating loss of their loved one. Healing will only come when this killer is in prison for the rest of her sorry life. REAL prison.

Sorry for the rant. It's been a long week...

Oh..and GO Court of Appeals. No more secret trial. I still believe it was "her" on the stand and I can't imagine what JSS was thinking. :moo:

Interesting. Was Encase capable of all this in 2008? Any thoughts on how much things have changed since then?

You mean the storage in a cloud and the remote access to company network computers? I do not know the answer for how long either of these has been around. I really don't even know how long Encase has been around.

But for anyone who really wants to get into it, here is a Guide for Police Departments by the U. S. Dept. of Justice:
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/199408.pdf

I was really shocked (but then, of course, I am Always Shocked!) when it came out that the LE in Florida had missed a whole ton of files that Casey Anthony had put onto the Anthony home computer. Because whoever was examining the computer forensically did not pick up the files from an entire browser that Casey had been using for months prior to the murder. Now THAT is evidence of a "computer expert" who is NOT a computer expert.

Here is an article from 2001 that describes EnCase as it existed then. No cloud storage mentioned.
http://www.cosgrovecomputer.com/documents/computer_magazine_article.pdf

Again, I think a great strategy on cross would be to show this email to Dr. F and have her agonizingly read through it line by line and mind-read about JA's intentions and how this email shows JA's appeasement of Travis's unreasonable behavior, etc. etc.:

"Hey You…
I haven’t heard back from you. I hope you’re not still upset that I didn’t come to see you, I just didn’t have enough time off. It’s ok, sweetie, you’re going to be here in less than two weeks – we’re going to see the sights, check things off “The List,” and all kinds of fun things. Oregon is BEAUTIFUL this time of the year. Yaaay!..... be happy!
Anyway I wanted to let you know that I’m thinking about pushing my visit up to next week, but it depends on my budget, so I’m not for sure yet. I know you’ll be in Cancun, but I’ll probably crash at your house in your cozy bed anyway… eat some of your oatmeal and frozen dinners you know, the usual – jk I know you said the door is always open, but I wanted to give you a heads up. If for any reason that won’t work, let me know and I’ll make arrangements. Your house has always been my second home, although it’s a bit more lonely without Naps around. You’re probably in California right now, but wherever you are, get a hold of me, at least before you get to Mexico.
Thanks hon, -Jodi "

and then spring it on her that it was written after Jodi had KILLED Travis and therefore maybe, just maybe, this practice of email analysis with no context is risky business.

I'd be willing to bet the defense hasn't shown the email to Dr. F--it isn't relevant to their theme. And if they have, JM could still make a big deal out of the fact that Dr. F wants to consider the context for THIS email but doesn't seem to care about that for any other email.
I hope Juan has you on speed dial. You have come up with some great strategies. When are you running for judge? I might move to Arizona. ;-)

You mean the storage in a cloud and the remote access to company network computers? I do not know the answer for how long either of these has been around. I really don't even know how long Encase has been around.

But for anyone who really wants to get into it, here is a Guide for Police Departments by the U. S. Dept. of Justice:
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/199408.pdf

I was really shocked (but then, of course, I am Always Shocked!) when it came out that the LE in Florida had missed a whole ton of files that Casey Anthony had put onto the Anthony home computer. Because whoever was examining the computer forensically did not pick up the files from an entire browser that Casey had been using for months prior to the murder. Now THAT is evidence of a "computer expert" who is NOT a computer expert.

BBM: lol!

Quotes are messed up (just saying)

YES ... all ideas are welcome here ... but JODI admitted to Killing Travis. Do we just "forget that"?

Thanks for your correction! Not saying we forget JA IS a murdering beeotch. Just saying when someone offers an alternative opinion, you can disagree without being "in 'da face." Agree to disagree.[/QUOTE]

in 'da face'???.. is this some sort of word(s) for: being in your face? Trying my best to understand. IF SO ... I just said "she admitted her guilt" and admitted to killing Travis. What else are we supposed to entertain? NOT going back to Ninja's. NOT. I'm lost here and seem to be dumb to new 2014 lingo. God, I feel OLD and I'm only 43. lol

Hi, I'm new here, but that does not prevent me from knowing that Jodi is up to her eyeballs in Travis' unfortunate demise. I knew that she was somehow implicit in his death when she so conveniently forgot where she "buried" the only piece of evidence that lets her to this day play the self-defense card which is the gun she ,purportedly, stole from her grandparent's house. I guess, I am saying this because I want you all to know where I stand with this thing.

Now a bit about I have seen many crime scenes in my day. The worst of it I saw in Afghanistan where I used to work for a "contractor" which I shall leave nameless. The thing I did for them was I looked at "crime scenes" and told them how many people committed a given crime. They didn't care for the way people came to die they only just cared for a number of perpetrators they should look for. With a lot of practice I had there I got to be pretty good at it.

I have not been really following this case until couple of weeks ago when some of my pathologist friends showed me the pics of the crime scene and a pathology report guess what I saw, I saw two attackers killing a man. That's what my gut told me.

Here's what I saw without knowing anything about the case:
Someone traps the victim in the master bedroom and starts sodomizing the victim at gun point, but after about 10 to 20 minutes of sodomizing the victim manages to "attack" one of his attackers back in the his last lunge when one of the victim's attackers turns his attention away from him. In all that commotion the victim and one of his attackers end up by the sink with the victim on top of one his of attackers and then the second attacker walks up to the victim on top of the other attacker points the gun at the victim, the victim turns his head and looks up at the second attacker that's when the victim gets shot in the head. Thereafter the enraged attacker takes his knife and stabs the victim vertically in the throat and then in one fell swoop the victim's attacker cuts the victim's throat from ear to ear, but the attacker is not satisfied with it and he goes on to inflict some really deep stabs wounds in a fit of rage.

Of course, I know that things may take weird shapes with stuff like that, but I'm telling you guys there's something off about the crime scene and it's starting to drive my freakin' nuts...
Wow.
If there were 2 attackers that would imply Jodi got her first story right.

Secondly, another important piece of evidence is the knife/knives, not just the smoking gun.

Third, I believe Jodi's physical strength is under rated, adrenaline is what keeps us as superhuman.

JMO

in 'da face'???.. is this some sort of word(s) for: being in your face? Trying my best to understand. IF SO ... I just said "she admitted her guilt" and admitted to killing Travis. What else are we supposed to entertain? NOT going back to Ninja's. NOT. I'm lost here and seem to be dumb to new 2014 lingo. God, I feel OLD and I'm only 43. lol

Predator might be implying Jodi had help or commissioned a murder. Or some such. He seems aware of her involvement in the crime.

Hi.. I'm a newby here too. I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to figure this out because Jodi is really a master manipulator and will use anything to cover up the truth and lead us down blind alleys.
I truly hope Justice will be served and not be thwarted by any DT tactics to delay sentencing.

Predator might be implying Jodi had help or commissioned a murder. Or some such. He seems aware of her involvement in the crime.

pfffftttt. IF Jodi had help ... she would have sung like a bird and thrown them under that proverbial bus. Jodi has NO scruples, nor morals and couldn't care less about anyone other than herself. JMO.

I'm not 100% sure she offered that as testimony, it's really hard to tell by Twitter. If it was, I am seriously wondering about what it takes to qualify as a defense expert right now.
We shall see when the live footage comes out after this $hit show.

I was re-watching an interview of JA by Ryan Owens and had forgotten about one particular part.

Ryan Owens: "If you were on that jury and you heard what they have heard, would you kill you?"

JA: "I don't believe in capital punishment, um, so the answer would be no."

However that is exactly what JA did to Travis. JA decided that she was judge, jury and executioner because Travis "treated her wrong". I so wish that Juan would be able to show the jury the interviews that JA did after being found guilty of 1st degree murder, the interview where she stated that no jury would find her guilty, and any other media interview that shows JA for who she truly is. I can only hope and pray that this jury "gets it" and isn't swayed by the BS the defense team and JA are trying to get them to swallow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrc9SgqtQos

MOO

I thought all opinions were to be respected on WS. YES, she's guilty. All by her lonesome. But discuss other ideas without becoming a school-yard bully? Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]
Its all about perception.

I don't think the computer was booted up for forensic purposes. From what I can tell, it was only the lawyers and Det. Flores present and it sounds like the DT had requested to look at Travis' electronic devices themselves, in person. For what purpose, I'm sure we'll find out but I don't think it was for forensic analysis purposes. And if the DT asks for it and a judge orders it, then they have to do it. Now, Flores and Martinez are not computer experts. Neither is Maria Schaffer. If they had run this by a computer forensics person, he probably would have advised against powering up the computer at all. What a mess this is.
I figured booting up with Spyware would be the issue here. I am a QA analyst, trust me, when procedure is not followed, you will pay for it later; no shortcuts.

I'm new to posting here but have followed this trial.
My comment is in regard to the supposed *advertiser censored* found by Nurmis expert?
I had the same virus around that time and this virus is well documented on the net.
The *advertiser censored* sites are "pop ups" that start off slowly and after a few days (week) will multiply so much that your computer will freeze.
I believe that is what happened in this case.
Nurmi is throwing out a red herring with an eye to delay delay delay.
Thankyou.
Sounds about right if someone using the computer when to a virus plagued search word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilb