Retrieving wreckage from AirAsia Flight To Singapore- no survivors recovered

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from CNN an hour ago .... Bambang has now confirmed 6 people recovered .... but I think it could be a higher number and just not official yet. jmo

Six bodies -- three men and three women -- have been recovered so far, Indonesian search and rescue chief Bambang Soelistyo said Wednesday. One of the females found was wearing a flight attendant's uniform, Soelistyo said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/30/world/asia/airasia-missing-plane/

I prefer what Sky News Australia said a short time ago .... :)

Multiple bodies and wreckage including a plane door and oxygen tanks have been recovered in the search for missing AirAsia Flight QZ8501.

The bodies - which were not wearing life jackets - have been brought on board a navy ship, said Indonesia's search and rescue director SB Supriyadi.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-...ane-search.html#sthash.Zm4UtYQ0.oFa8ZPB8.dpuf

I am wondering too if maybe someone released some information that they should not have. There is probably some sort of protocol they are supposed to follow and maybe someone got their hand slapped for releasing too much info.

I dont understand how someone could get the count so wrong. Unless someone said 4 and someone else thought they said 40.

Anyway, I think we all agree that the "official" count is much lower now in the 6-9 range. I hope the official count goes way up soon. Once they find the main sections, they will probably find lots of people all at once in a section so long as they are all still strapped in their seats and section is in tact.

What a tough job for the recovery people. Prayers are with them too as that must be a tough job. They will no doubt need some scuba divers too once sections are found under water.

I do remember reading that Fernandez said, the families would be notified first. I was glad to hear that.

I was just talking to a friend of mine who is an A320 Pilot with Jetstar. He said that they believe it iced-up which pitched it nose down ...apparently this happened to another airline only 2 weeks ago and they recovered. Apparently there is some glitch whereby you are required to turn several computers off and then back on (please excuse my lay persons terms) to recover from that position. I'm seeing the ex husband tonight ex Qantas LAME of 37 years I intend to hound him. My Pilot friend was on his way to work so I could only talk for a matter of minutes.

"The United States said it was sending the USS Sampson destroyer, joining at least 30 ships, 15 aircraft and seven helicopters in the search for the jet.

A Chinese frigate was on the way. Singapore said it was sending two underwater beacon detectors to try to pick up pings from the plane's all-important cockpit voice and flight-data recorders. Malaysia, Australia and Thailand are also involved in the search."

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-st...-reveal-jet-s-fate-days-after-it-disappeared/

My very closest girlfriend also worked for MAL for over 20 years. She was staying with a now retired MAL crew member only last week in KUL. I asked her about MH370 QUOTE Everyone in Malaysia is embarrassed to discuss it. You know their culture do not want to loose face UNQUOTE ......whilst we do know this is not uncommon in many cultures it does seem terribly sad not to want to find out everything that transpired. If this happened to our national carrier we would be hashing it over, then rehashing 20 years later.

I followed the MH370 episode here on WS very closely for many days after it unfolded. So did quite a few others here as I recognize them from the MH370 thread.

One of the things that bothered me the most with the MH370 case was their public relations people and their officials who were giving news media interviews and news releases. They seemed to try to do well at first but I have to say they came across really bad. They gave the impression that they were hiding information (even if they weren't). It just came out that way. No matter how hard they tried, I always felt they were trying to hide something.

Some of it may have just been their style. It just came across really bad and I know a lot of the news media and families felt the same way as the families began to convey their displeasure.

I think if their officials would have hired a professional public relations person to handle things, it may have helped them tremendously.

I am wondering too if maybe someone released some information that they should not have. There is probably some sort of protocol they are supposed to follow and maybe someone got their hand slapped for releasing too much info.

I dont understand how someone could get the count so wrong. Unless someone said 4 and someone else thought they said 40.

Anyway, I think we all agree that the "official" count is much lower now in the 6-9 range. I hope the official count goes way up soon. Once they find the main sections, they will probably find lots of people all at once in a section so long as they are all still strapped in their seats and section is in tact.

What a tough job for the recovery people. Prayers are with them too as that must be a tough job. They will no doubt need some scuba divers too once sections are found under water.

I understand ... I think many of us Aussies just do not have a lot of faith in timely, accurate reporting from Indonesia. We have had a lot of interaction with Indonesia in many different ways, as they are a close neighbour of ours and share a common sea. We are accustomed to the national pride of their officials, and the lovely gentle ways of the Balinese.

One of my brothers lives in Indonesia. He has told me of local reports of Indonesian soldiers assisting political refugees (from other countries) being loaded onto unauthorised unseaworthy boats at their local docks then sent across the ocean to Australia, yet Indonesia officially knows nothing about that. Just one example.

But with the world watching, eventually we will officially get all the news in this instance, I think.

Right now are we in complete stall mode?
Oye Lemon just asked if it was weather related bla bla

confirmation of what you said by BBC as well

"There was confusion over the number of bodies pulled from the sea on Tuesday after the navy reported recovering more than 40.

Navy spokesman Manahan Simorangkir later told AFP news agency the figure of 40 had been a miscommunication by his staff. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30639206

In the wee hours when it was first reported that Navy was ''very busy'' and that they had recovered 40 I was jubilant that the families would have at least some respite with a fast recovery of remains of their loved ones.
I also checked some news stores on my phone this morning and one of them had the report of 40 bodies recovered. I won't mention which one it was...however it was not one of our MSM here in the U.S.

MOO

Info on Soucie

Hes worked as a pilot, a mechanic, an FAA inspector, and an aviation executive. Hes seen death up close and personaldeaths of colleagues and friends that might have been pre-vented if he had approved certain safety measures in the aircrafts they were handling. His years of experience have led Dave to become an impassioned consultant on the topic of air-line safety. This includes not only advising the Obama administration, but also taking a leading role in the congressionally funded NextGen interdepartmental initiative in regards to both the department of transportation and the departments of defense, homeland security, FBI, CIA, and others. Find out the truth about airplane safety and discover what the future holds for air travel.

I understand ... I think many of us Aussies just do not have a lot of faith in timely,
accurate reporting from Indonesia. We have had a lot of interaction with Indonesia in many different ways, as they are a close neighbour of ours and share a common sea. We are accustomed to the national pride of their officials, and the lovely gentle ways of the Balinese.

One of my brothers lives in Indonesia. He has told me of local reports of Indonesian soldiers assisting political refugees (from other countries) being loaded onto unauthorised unseaworthy boats at their local docks then sent across the ocean to Australia, yet Indonesia officially knows nothing about that. Just one example.

But with the world watching, eventually we will officially get all the news in this instance, I think.

Their Coast Guard is being beefed up to protect commercial interests too from what I posted elsewhere. It seems to me that focus is foremost whilst SAR is not even mentioned in their new mandate from November 2014. Coast guard operations in most other countries are focused on rescue. MOO

''For all Jokowi’s related talk of boosting naval and coastguard strength (Indonesia’s naval budget is smaller than Singapore’s), his new maritime policy is aimed squarely at increasing prosperity at home''

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/...tion-path-prosperity-watery-one-fishing-trips

bbm: I think the pubic relations ''fail'' of MH370 was noticed by all and this case is being better handled by the airline CEO. The Indonesian authorities have been low key.

Indonesia’s search-and-rescue agency has obtained a sonar image that it says may be the body of the missing AirAsia jet on the floor of the Java Sea. The agency said the image appears to show an airplane upside down on the ocean floor in 24 meters to 30 meters of water.

The image was obtained Tuesday by an Indonesian Navy ship that is part of the search-and-recovery effort, the agency said in a release early Wednesday morning.

A comparison of location coordinates released by the agency suggest the object is about 3.2 kilometers to 3.5 kilometers (about 2 miles to 2.2 miles) from several fields of floating debris that were discovered Tuesday.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/indonesia-says-sonar-image-may-show-body-of-airasia-plane-1419996290

Soucie: If it is really intact indicates pilot may have tried a ditching - now that is one heck of pilot! Especially with engines hung under the wing!

Ohhh now they are designed to come off at impact - I did not know that cool!

Indonesia’s search-and-rescue agency has obtained a sonar image that it says may be the body of the missing AirAsia jet on the floor of the Java Sea. The agency said the image appears to show an airplane upside down on the ocean floor in 24 meters to 30 meters of water. The image was obtained Tuesday by an Indonesian Navy ship that is part of the search-and-recovery effort, the agency said in a release early Wednesday morning.
A comparison of location coordinates released by the agency suggest the object is about 3.2 kilometers to 3.5 kilometers (about 2 miles to 2.2 miles) from several fields of floating debris that were discovered Tuesday.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/indonesia-says-sonar-image-may-show-body-of-airasia-plane-1419996290

Soucie: If it is really intact indicates pilot may have tried a ditching - now that is one heck of pilot! Especially with engines hung under the wing!

Ohhh now they are designed to come off at impact - I did not know that cool!

yikes sounds like it could have ''cartwheeled'' when hitting rough seas

I understand ... I think many of us Aussies just do not have a lot of faith in timely, accurate reporting from Indonesia. We have had a lot of interaction with Indonesia in many different ways, as they are a close neighbour of ours and share a common sea. We are accustomed to the national pride of their officials, and the lovely gentle ways of the Balinese.

I actually had a roomate here in the US in college who was from Jakarta. I think that is in Indonesia if I am not mistaken. I only roomed with him for 1 semester. He was really nice and we got along great.

One of the most shocking "culture" related things that happened was the time he had a bag of chips that he had gotten sent as a care package. He asked me if I wanted to try some and I willingly tried them and they were not bad at all except very salty. When I looked closer at some of the chips there were these little dried things in there that I jokingly told him looked like small freeze dried fish.
To my surprise, he confirmed that is exactly what they were. LOL

It was a very interesting semester and I did really enjoy talking to him and learning about where he came from.

Wow! Finding the plane so quickly is amazing. Hope they can get those black boxes fast and bring more people home. RIP QZ8501

CNN is reporting on the live news that a very large part of the plane has been located by sonar.

Their Coast Guard is being beefed up to protect commercial interests too from what I posted elsewhere. It seems to me that focus is foremost whilst SAR is not even mentioned in their new mandate from November 2014. Coast guard operations in most other countries are focused on rescue. MOO

''For all Jokowi’s related talk of boosting naval and coastguard strength (Indonesia’s naval budget is smaller than Singapore’s), his new maritime policy is aimed squarely at increasing prosperity at home''

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/...tion-path-prosperity-watery-one-fishing-trips

bbm: I think the pubic relations ''fail'' of MH370 was noticed by all and this case is being better handled by the airline CEO. The Indonesian authorities have been low key.

Yes, I very much get the impression that they are a bit of a police state. They have militarily taken over peaceful islands close to them in the recent past (during my lifetime, at least) and I know that my brother's partner and other Indonesians (ex-Timorese) that I have spoken to are quite afraid of the police there.

And the officials do seem to keep a lot of information under that hats. Australia has been tussling with them for years to stop harbouring known terrorists in their midst. And also to refrain from sending us political refugees from other countries that they allow to enter their country and then send on to us. We ask that they have these refugees apply for asylum in the approved way, but they harbour them for periods of time and send them on across the stormy seas regardless. It has become quite an issue that causes great dissension in our country.

CNN reporting live that a large portion of the plane has been found by sonar and that family members are being given all new info before the media.

And see half the world is all crazy that we need to track every plane every minute every move --it took what 60 hours and here we are. And to be quite honest I really do not think that is a good idea at ALL! NOt neccessary, but aviation is terrrorists heaven.

Thats all we need is all giant jetliners, on some GPS thing, that gets hacked, and they can be flying commericial airplanes from a damn desktop into a nuclear power plant. ITs a cost benefit deal on my end, and having to wait 4 days to get some finite info seems like a better choice than GPS airliners, all over the world, live !

JMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members