REVISIT Does LE have enough evidence to Convict Casey on 1st Degree Murder?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Do you think LE has enough evidence to get Casey on 1st Degree Murder?

• Yes

Votes: 759 77.2%
  • No

Votes: 84 8.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 140 14.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I can answer this before knowing whether or not the state is finished with their review of the investigative findings. Have they handed over everything to the defense that they have, or is there more to come? (which we will know if we get another dump).
Unless there are things that Judge S. has sealed because they would impede KC's right to a fair trial, I am not sure I see enough in the docs that we have seen to completely seal the deal-I try to keep in mind that we see alot here at WS, maybe more than the jurors will have seen.
If the state is not done reviewing everything, and another doc dump comes out with some of the missing puzzle peices, I will be ever closer to believing that a jury can convict KC.

IMO it is far from a slam dunk;and suspicion is not convictable.
I just cant believe that she is that smart to have gotten into this mess without having one witness to any of it.
There MUST be one other person that knows something for sure.
She is just not that smart.

This bugs me. We all KNOW she ain't the brightest bulb in the box...AND her mouth flaps more than a determined salmon fish swimming upsteam...but WHO knows what? I think LE knows alot more than we are privey to knowing. At least I hope so.

I think this trial will go down exactly like Scott Peterson's. There are so many similiarities--the high amount of circumstantial evidence (mostly on the behavior) vs direct evidence, the intense media coverage that called for a change of venue, and the fact that the victims included their own children. Despite the fact that there is no confession, eye witnesses, or direct cause of death, I think the jury will be able to look past all that, like they did with SP, and find her guilty.

With Scott P, I thought there was MUCH circumstantial Physical evidence. Such as the dust/lack of dust marks in his garage pointing to him pouring concrete blocks. And his testimony about Lacey watching a Martha S. show that morning, only it turns out he was describing a MS show from the day before...Lacey's shirt (worn 12/23) being found waded up and stuffed at the bottom of the laundry hamper and then her body found shirtless...lots of physical stuff if I remember right.

In reading just her journal entry, I am convinced. If a jury gets to see that, I can not imagine that they would find her anything BUT guilty.

This bugs me. We all KNOW she ain't the brightest bulb in the box...AND her mouth flaps more than a determined salmon fish swimming upsteam...but WHO knows what? I think LE knows alot more than we are privey to knowing. At least I hope so.

It appears KC started planning/tossing ideas around in her head March '08 (according to her computer searches) and didn't follow thru on her "plan" until mid June. Whatever she planned to do, as sloppy as she was I think luck played a bigger part in her limited success than anything she did "right". Luck, in Cindy's undying trust and in George being unwilling to push Cindy, was the only secrets to KC's success.

KC hadn't had a job in over 2 yrs, yet day in and day out, she got up and dressed for work. She packed Caylee to go to the babysitter and off they went. George told LE he knew what was up, but Cindy wouldn't hear it, even when LE told her they had proof in black and white. Cindy was too deeply into denial to believe they were right.

Caylee wasn't enrolled in any type of pre-school, didn't have a 'real' babysitter she went to on a regular basis. The only people who would be aware of her absence lived together on HopeSprings Drive.

With no job to cause KC any grief, the only thing that KC had to do was stay away from Cindy. As long as no one from HopeSpring Dr caught up with her, she was safe. In spite of all the mistakes she made, she kept getting lucky.

She ran out of gas twice after 6-16 and needed to be bailed out.

George caught up with her on HopeSpring after she broke the lock to steal gas, he came within seconds of opening the car trunk. So close, had he been 2 seconds ahead of her, or if he had opened the trunk without forewarning her, both of which are likely scenarios in my book; game would have been over.

July 3, Cindy is getting increasingly panicked. Instead of insisting KC bring Caylee home, she agrees to meet her at Universal to pick up Caylee. KC used the time to run by the house and grab somethings, IIRC. That night Lee is sent out to find KC, her luck still holding, someone tips her off and she leaves the club.

I believe KC gets away with the nanny story because she is with new friends who don't know how much time she would normally have Caylee in tow. Because they are young they don't realize a tot as young as Caylee is a little young to spend multiple days at theme parks or the beach with a nanny, without seeing mommy. I think if she had spent as much time with Amy as she did before ToNE, there would have been a lot more concern for Caylee.

The Pontiac, left in a tow away zone. Reeking of decomp based on comments made by KC herself, gets towed away by a truck driver with a head cold, who wasn't able to smell anything. Pure luck.....

Mail delivery is thrown off due to 07-04, C & G don't see the registered letter notice for a couple days. George misses picking it up on day 30. Nothing to do with any skill on KC's part.

The odor in the car was observed by Mr Simon B, mngr of the car lot. For whatever reason he didn't call LE. On day 31, G & C show up to pick up the car. SB accompanies George to the car, where they both observe the odor, flies and maggots. Yet neither one thinks to place the call to 911. George adds gas and leaves with the car. All the windows down in the pouring rain, that's how bad it was.

Once home, George makes the worst mistake in his life. Cindy, her voice full of fear asks him if the odor was caused by old pizza. Not willing to upset her further or to face his own fears, he tells her what she wants to hear. They both could have been spared much heartache, if then and there they had done the right thing, call 911.

KC's luck kept her free for 31 days, right up until she met Detectives YM and JA. Her luck even came back when the meter reader quite possibly found Caylee in August but couldn't find a LEO to back him up. While locked up in jail, her luck held as the tropical storms dumped so much rain, sweet Caylee remained hidden away.

On Dec 11, all that changed. Someone in charge of checks and balances realized KC's karma account was heavily overdrawn. After years of abusing the system, it was time for Ms Anthony to pay the piper!

Ripely, everything we have seen makes me believe LE has enough to convict her 3 times over with what we haven't seen, alone. Without Caylee's remains, without knowing she had been triple bagged and dumped right down the end of the street where she lived. Without knowing her momster wrapped her precious little face in multiple layers of duct tape, the GJ came forward with a charge of Murder 1, practically in minutes. Because this is such a circumstantial case, even more so than Scott P, the jury only need remember one thing: reasonable doubt.

Hopefully it will be a slam dunk for Caylee!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~KARMA BABY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT~~~~~~~~~~~​

In reading just her journal entry, I am convinced. If a jury gets to see that, I can not imagine that they would find her anything BUT guilty.

:Welcome-12-june: Sondra!

I couldn't agree with you more! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

I believe in order to get a conviction on Murder I, proof of premeditation is required. So far, I have not seen anything that proves premeditation. It may be something that is being held back. Without proof of premeditation, I believe Casey is likely to be convicted on a lesser charge.

If you don't believe there was premeditation, then it's still first degree, but called felony murder. See jury instructions below:

7.3 FELONY MURDER — FIRST DEGREE
§ 782.04(1)(a), Fla.Stat.

To prove the crime of First Degree Felony Murder, the State must prove the following three elements beyond a reasonable doubt:

1. (Victim) is dead.

Give 2a, 2b, or 2c as applicable.
2. a. [The death occurred as a consequence of and while (defendant) was engaged in the commission of (crime alleged).]

b. [The death occurred as a consequence of and while (defendant) was attempting to commit (crime alleged).]

c. [The death occurred as a consequence of and while (defendant), or an accomplice, was escaping from the immediate scene of (crime alleged).]

Give 3a if defendant actual perpetrator.
3. a. [(Defendant) was the person who actually killed (victim).]

Give 3b if defendant not actual perpetrator.
b. [(Victim) was killed by a person other than (defendant); but both (defendant) and the person who killed (victim) were principals in the commission of (crime alleged).]

In order to convict of First Degree Felony Murder, it is not necessary for the State to prove that the defendant had a premeditated design or intent to kill.

1. Define the crime alleged. If Burglary, also define crime that was the object of burglary.

2. If 2b above is given, also define "attempt" (see 5.1).

3. If 3b is given, immediately give principal instruction (3.5(a)).

4. Since the statute does not require its proof, it is not necessary to define "premeditation."

It appears KC started planning/tossing ideas around in her head March '08 (according to her computer searches) and didn't follow thru on her "plan" until mid June. Whatever she planned to do, as sloppy as she was I think luck played a bigger part in her limited success than anything she did "right". Luck, in Cindy's undying trust and in George being unwilling to push Cindy, was the only secrets to KC's success.

KC hadn't had a job in over 2 yrs, yet day in and day out, she got up and dressed for work. She packed Caylee to go to the babysitter and off they went. George told LE he knew what was up, but Cindy wouldn't hear it, even when LE told her they had proof in black and white. Cindy was too deeply into denial to believe they were right.

Caylee wasn't enrolled in any type of pre-school, didn't have a 'real' babysitter she went to on a regular basis. The only people who would be aware of her absence lived together on HopeSprings Drive.

With no job to cause KC any grief, the only thing that KC had to do was stay away from Cindy. As long as no one from HopeSpring Dr caught up with her, she was safe. In spite of all the mistakes she made, she kept getting lucky.

George caught up with her on HopeSpring after she broke the lock to steal gas, he came within seconds of opening the car trunk. So close, had he been 2 seconds ahead of her, or if he had opened the trunk without forewarning her, both of which are likely scenarios in my book; game would have been over.

July 3, Cindy is getting increasingly panicked. Instead of insisting KC bring Caylee home, she agrees to meet her at Universal to pick up Caylee. KC used the time to run by the house and grab somethings, IIRC. That night Lee is sent out to find KC, her luck still holding, someone tips her off and she leaves the club.

I believe KC gets away with the nanny story because she is with new friends who don't know how much time she would normally have Caylee in tow. Because they are young they don't realize a tot as young as Caylee is a little young to spend multiple days at theme parks or the beach with a nanny, without seeing mommy. I think if she had spent as much time with Amy as she did before ToNE, there would have been a lot more concern for Caylee.

The Pontiac, left in a tow away zone. Reeking of decomp based on comments made by KC herself, gets towed away by a truck driver with a head cold, who wasn't able to smell anything. Pure luck.....

Mail delivery is thrown off due to 07-04, C & G don't see the registered letter notice for a couple days. George misses picking it up on day 30. Nothing to do with any skill on KC's part.

The odor in the car was observed by Mr Simon B, mngr of the car lot. For whatever reason he didn't call LE. On day 31, G & C show up to pick up the car. SB accompanies George to the car, where they both observe the odor, flies and maggots. Yet neither one thinks to place the call to 911. George adds gas and leaves with the car. All the windows down in the pouring rain, that's how bad it was.

Once home, George makes the worst mistake in his life. Cindy, her voice full of fear asks him if the odor was caused by old pizza. Not willing to upset her further or to face his own fears, he tells her what she wants to hear. They both could have been spared much heartache, if then and there they had done the right thing, call 911.

KC's luck kept her free for 31 days, right up until she met Detectives YM and JA. Her luck even came back when the meter reader quite possibly found Caylee in August but couldn't find a LEO to back him up. While locked up in jail, her luck held as the tropical storms dumped so much rain, sweet Caylee remained hidden away.

On Dec 11, all that changed. Someone in charge of checks and balances realized KC's karma account was heavily overdrawn. After years of abusing the system, it was time for Ms Anthony to pay the piper!

Ripely, everything we have seen makes me believe LE has enough to convict her 3 times over with what we haven't seen, alone. Without Caylee's remains, without knowing she had been triple bagged and dumped right down the end of the street where she lived. Without knowing her momster wrapped her precious little face in multiple layers of duct tape, the GJ came forward with a charge of Murder 1, practically in minutes. Because this is such a circumstantial case, even more so than Scott P, the jury only need remember one thing: reasonable doubt.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

That's it in a nutshell! I think the Prosecution will need extra time for their opening argument, don't you ? :)

It appears KC started planning/tossing ideas around in her head March '08 (according to her computer searches) and didn't follow thru on her "plan" until mid June. Whatever she planned to do, as sloppy as she was I think luck played a bigger part in her limited success than anything she did "right". Luck, in Cindy's undying trust and in George being unwilling to push Cindy, was the only secrets to KC's success. Not so sure about the underlined part. I think Cindy will BS and create a false impression of who her family is to impress the world. out side of her immediate family people did not know how dysfunctional they really are. SHE HIDES IT and sometimes even from herself. but it is not about trust at all.
KC hadn't had a job in over 2 yrs, yet day in and day out, she got up and dressed for work. She packed Caylee to go to the babysitter and off they went. George told LE he knew what was up, but Cindy wouldn't hear it, even when LE told her they had proof in black and white. Cindy was too deeply into denial to believe they were right. CA lived in very deep denial

The Pontiac, left in a tow away zone. Reeking of decomp based on comments made by KC herself, gets towed away by a truck driver with a head cold, who wasn't able to smell anything. Pure luck..... I am not sure she had a head cold, I would not be surprised if somehow someone offerd her something for her silence.

Mail delivery is thrown off due to 07-04, C & G don't see the registered letter notice for a couple days. George misses picking it up on day 30. Nothing to do with any skill on KC's part. Not sure about that either, IMHO he got mail, wonderd about Caseys car, he calls and calls and gets her on the phone - I am sure he did not wait till he got a registered letter to KNOW more, I am sure while he knew he did not have to get the car, he also knew he had to get to Casey - by the time he did get to the car he was prepared to say on Camera whatever made him look like a straight forward guy...
NO GA is far from it. when he got the car he knew much more then he tells us. I think HE was the master planner

The odor in the car was observed by Mr Simon B, mngr of the car lot. For whatever reason he didn't call LE. On day 31, G & C show up to pick up the car. SB accompanies George to the car, where they both observe the odor, flies and maggots. Yet neither one thinks to place the call to 911. George adds gas and leaves with the car. All the windows down in the pouring rain, that's how bad it was. Not so sure someone did not make him an offer to keep silent, I did not forget the caliber of people GA was hanging around

Once home, George makes the worst mistake in his life. Cindy, her voice full of fear asks him if the odor was caused by old pizza. Not willing to upset her further or to face his own fears, he tells her what she wants to hear. They both could have been spared much heartache, if then and there they had done the right thing, call 911. that was no mistake it was intentional

KC's luck kept her free for 31 days, right up until she met Detectives YM and JA. Her luck even came back when the meter reader quite possibly found Caylee in August but couldn't find a LEO to back him up. While locked up in jail, her luck held as the tropical storms dumped so much rain, sweet Caylee remained hidden away. That was part of the plan the longer it took to find the baby the more decomposed she would be NO evidence for Caseys trial if Caylee's remains don't have a story to tell- that is why CA never gave the search team with dogs any of Caylees garments, she did not want Caylee found. She did know Caylee was gone, and Caseys case is coming up.

everything STRONGLY POINTS TO CASEY; but points is not the same as a direct tie, such as a witness, finger print, cigarette she smoked, Casey's, lipstick...anything to tie her was cleaned up by DADDY.....I PRAY FOR DIVINE INTERVENTION.
I think Casey's attorney told the PI "If he finds Caylee/Plastic bag he should not call anyone" IMHO that is huge but do I think there is a slam dunk I do not, but I hope you are right

Hi missmybaby :blowkiss: I agree with 99% of what you say with some minor differences So I'll go directly to your post.

If you don't think it's premeditated then it can't be considered "first degree" premeditated murder, but could be "first degree" felony murder...without premeditation. That is my understanding from the jury instructions below.

7.2 MURDER—FIRST DEGREE
§ 782.04(1)(a), Fla. Stat.

When there will be instructions on both premeditated and felony murder, the following explanatory paragraph should be read to the jury.
There are two ways in which a person may be convicted of first degree murder. One is known as premeditated murder and the other is known as felony murder.

To prove the crime of First Degree Premeditated Murder, the State must prove the following three elements beyond a reasonable doubt:

1. (Victim) is dead.

2. The death was caused by the criminal act of (defendant).

3. There was a premeditated killing of (victim).

Definitions.
An “act” includes a series of related actions arising from and performed pursuant to a single design or purpose.

“Killing with premeditation” is killing after consciously deciding to do so. The decision must be present in the mind at the time of the killing. The law does not fix the exact period of time that must pass between the formation of the premeditated intent to kill and the killing. The period of time must be long enough to allow reflection by the defendant. The premeditated intent to kill must be formed before the killing.

The question of premeditation is a question of fact to be determined by you from the evidence. It will be sufficient proof of premeditation if the circumstances of the killing and the conduct of the accused convince you beyond a reasonable doubt of the existence of premeditation at the time of the killing.

Transferred intent. Give if applicable.
If a person has a premeditated design to kill one person and in attempting to kill that person actually kills another person, the killing is premeditated.
I don't think you are saying this at all, but just wanted to clarify something because it is a subtle distinction and it may be misinterpreted.
A jury can't, just on their own, decide to convict someone of felony murder when that person is charged with premeditated murder.
IOW the jurors cannot just think well there is no premediatation so let's convict her on felony murder because there doesn't have to be premed on that one! Felony murder is not a lesser charge but rather an equal charge, so this is not an automatic option nor is it up to the jury to decide this applies on their own. I think the wording is fairly clear,

" When there will be instructions on both premeditated and felony murder, the following explanatory paragraph should be read to the jury"

But thought I should clarify anyway.

IMO it is far from a slam dunk;and suspicion is not convictable.
I just cant believe that she is that smart to have gotten into this mess without having one witness to any of it.
There MUST be one other person that knows something for sure.
She is just not that smart.

I think that if anybody helped her, not just anybody from la casa de Anthony, but anybody at all, Caylee would have been dumped far, far away from Hopespring Drive. To me, that is a classic KC move, out of sight, out of mind. We've seen evidence that KC lives in the moment with no thought of consequences. For instance, if she had not been questioned and jailed for her role in Caylee's disappearance last summer, she surely would have been arrested for forging Amy's checks. She didn't seem to grasp that her former bff would be more than miffed upon her return from Puerto Rico to find her bank account had been emptied. Clearly not a smart or well-thought-out move on KC's part. She was so brazen in that theft! Didn't even try to hide who she was or her name or anything. So I don't see that she put a lot of thought and introspection into the dump site for Caylee's remains.

If I ever went off the deep end and killed somebody, you can best believe that I would rid myself of the remains in a locale that had no ties to me and was far away from my stomping grounds. In all probability, I would use the natural resources of the Louisiana swamps and head for the alligators. Especially with a small corpse. Sorry for the mental picture, but I'm trying to think like a sociopath! KC had a car and was familiar with the Orlando area. Surely, in all of Orlando and its environs, was a spot more suitable for the dump than woods located down the street from her house. But she went for convenience and I think that is going to trip her up at trial.

1. not reporting her daughter missing...EVER - unless JB can come up with a "reasonable" explanation...can't think of one....for a mother to not report daughter missing...I would need no further eviedence. I'm sure jury selection (from defense side) would include questions as to possible jury pool to see if they would be pregudiced by this information or can they think of a reason a mother would not report a daughter missing.
2. Her demanor behavior while daughter missing.
3. borrowed shovel
4. smell of car...even she reported as a squirrel
5. partying while daughter missing

If you don't believe there was premeditation, then it's still first degree, but called felony murder. See jury instructions below:

7.3 FELONY MURDER — FIRST DEGREE
§ 782.04(1)(a), Fla.Stat.

To prove the crime of First Degree Felony Murder, the State must prove the following three elements beyond a reasonable doubt:

1. (Victim) is dead.

Give 2a, 2b, or 2c as applicable.
2. a. [The death occurred as a consequence of and while (defendant) was engaged in the commission of (crime alleged).]

b. [The death occurred as a consequence of and while (defendant) was attempting to commit (crime alleged).]

c. [The death occurred as a consequence of and while (defendant), or an accomplice, was escaping from the immediate scene of (crime alleged).]

Give 3a if defendant actual perpetrator.
3. a. [(Defendant) was the person who actually killed (victim).]

Give 3b if defendant not actual perpetrator.
b. [(Victim) was killed by a person other than (defendant); but both (defendant) and the person who killed (victim) were principals in the commission of (crime alleged).]

In order to convict of First Degree Felony Murder, it is not necessary for the State to prove that the defendant had a premeditated design or intent to kill.

1. Define the crime alleged. If Burglary, also define crime that was the object of burglary.

2. If 2b above is given, also define "attempt" (see 5.1).

3. If 3b is given, immediately give principal instruction (3.5(a)).

4. Since the statute does not require its proof, it is not necessary to define "premeditation."

I don't see any way that any of #2a, b, or c could be proved in Casey's case. We don't know for certain how, when or even where Caylee died, all we have is the theory that it happened the afternoon of June 16, but there is no proof of this and I don't think there is any evidence that Caylee died while Casey was committing another crime. I see no proof of premeditation either with the evidence released so far. So, I believe the jury will go for a lesser charge, maybe even manslaughter, if they believe Casey is guilty.

But, isn't JB the one who has been asking for the continuances?

No, it's Andrea Lyon who requested this in order to prepare for the trial since she came onboard so recently. Frankly, the continuances are the Prosecutions fault for putting the death penalty on the table, then taking it off and then putting it back on. The Prosecutors knew full well that would cause a delay in the start of this trial as the new Death Penalty defense attorney would have to get up to speed on the case.

But, isn't JB the one who has been asking for the continuances?

Hi Brini :) Yes it is....And her new DP lawyer too. I think a date is tentatively set for January 2010.

They would want to defer and defer, the longer they wait the harder it is to trial the case. It is in their favor.
IF LE had everything a 100% slam dunk they would have set the date already.

Hi Brini :) Yes it is....And her new DP lawyer too. I think a date is tentatively set for January 2010.

They would want to defer and defer, the longer they wait the harder it is to trial the case. It is in their favor.

They haven't set the date, because the defense needs the continuences.

I think that if anybody helped her, not just anybody from la casa de Anthony, but anybody at all, Caylee would have been dumped far, far away from Hopespring Drive. To me, that is a classic KC move, out of sight, out of mind. We've seen evidence that KC lives in the moment with no thought of consequences. For instance, if she had not been questioned and jailed for her role in Caylee's disappearance last summer, she surely would have been arrested for forging Amy's checks. She didn't seem to grasp that her former bff would be more than miffed upon her return from Puerto Rico to find her bank account had been emptied. Clearly not a smart or well-thought-out move on KC's part. She was so brazen in that theft! Didn't even try to hide who she was or her name or anything. So I don't see that she put a lot of thought and introspection into the dump site for Caylee's remains.

If I ever went off the deep end and killed somebody, you can best believe that I would rid myself of the remains in a locale that had no ties to me and was far away from my stomping grounds. In all probability, I would use the natural resources of the Louisiana swamps and head for the alligators. Especially with a small corpse. Sorry for the mental picture, but I'm trying to think like a sociopath! KC had a car and was familiar with the Orlando area. Surely, in all of Orlando and its environs, was a spot more suitable for the dump than woods located down the street from her house. But she went for convenience and I think that is going to trip her up at trial.

I agree that it all points to Casey. Seems to me there are no finger prints, no other direct links...So when LE Daddy found out one little piece he helped her clean up the mess. Other wise there would be a direct LINK from Casey to Caylee. and IMHO her parents knew before 31 days, the delay was a prayer for a tinny body to be so decomposed that it could not tell a tale.
The heart on the skull is the only direct link....I hope they can get her on that. But the 31 days - watch her play out- I was waiting for the whomever to bring Caylee back.
Her parents refused to give a garment to the search team: that is proof that they knew more, and did not want Caylee found. YES it all points to Casey and Family.

Defense has the right to postpone in order to get ready for the trial - I don't agree that it has anything to do with whether or not SA has a "slam dunk" or not. Defense is given as much time as they need to prepare for trial and it is to their benefit if it is way down the road because the case will not be as much in the "public eye"/media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18