Rhornsby Legal Q&A #3 Relevant to the Anthony Case

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the information that has not yet been released by the state, what evidence are you most interested in seeing?

A second question: How long can the defense hold onto information that has been released to them by the state before the media can release it?

Well, if on July 17, 2008 E! would have quoted "High-profile Florida criminal attorney Jose Baez" in any story - you would have said Jose Who?

But by November 30, 2009 when E! quoted "High-profile Florida criminal attorney Jose Baez" on the Tiger Woods story, we all knew exactly who they were referring too.

Me thinks Mr. Baez hit the lottery. :angel:

See...this is where I have to disagree with you. Baez will not have "hit the lottery" until he actually makes money from his supposed new "fame", and until I hear differently, I seriously doubt defendants are beating each other up to be the first to hand Baez a large retainer check.

Any so called "fame" he may have garnered from this case isn't worth a dime yet.....not until the checks actually clear the bank!

I have a piece of antique jewelry from the 1800s that I am told is worth several thousand dollars. Problem is, it really won't be worth that until someone PAYS me several thousand dollars for it!

See...this is where I have to disagree with you. Baez will not have "hit the lottery" until he actually makes money from his supposed new "fame", and until I hear differently, I seriously doubt defendants are beating each other up to be the first to hand Baez a large retainer check.

Any so called "fame" he may have garnered from this case isn't worth a dime yet.....not until the checks actually clear the bank!

I have a piece of antique jewelry from the 1800s that I am told is worth several thousand dollars. Problem is, it really won't be worth that until someone PAYS me several thousand dollars for it!

Well, let me rephrase. He hit the lottery and then blew his wad rather than investing it.

I know this because for the first six months after the case came out, I would say 2 out of every 3 clients who called me had called his office as well. Prior to that I had never even heard of him in my life (as a matter of fact, Shannon Butler was the first reporter to ask me who he was and my question was Jose Who?)

Anyway, back to story. So I had these people come in and I would quote them what I thought was a reasonable rate. One case was $4K. They looked at me like I was crazy, and I asked what was wrong; Baez had quoted them something like $15K. I nearly died laughing and told them they should go hire him - because if he thinks he is worth that much, he must work miracles.

Obviously the lottery money has now been spent and I rarely hear his name anymore - unless the client is describing the type of lawyer they don't want.

As a tangible, JB has already grown his Practice exponentially (ETA: its all relative) and hired folks to deal with the cases .... that came out over the squabble scheduling KC's check fraud trial. In essence, JB becomes the 'figurehead' that attracts clients to his Practice but he does not represent them directly (and many clients will be attracted just because they know his name and saw him on TV). That's how marketing works....... JB is now branded.

No, the declining presence of my hair would be a concern of mine.

Would the aforementioned "declining presence of hair" be proportional to the amount of time you've been here answering our questions?? LOL :innocent:

As a tangible, JB has already grown his Practice exponentially (ETA: its all relative) and hired folks to deal with the cases .... that came out over the squabble scheduling KC's check fraud trial. In essence, JB becomes the 'figurehead' that attracts clients to his Practice but he does not represent them directly (and many clients will be attracted just because they know his name and saw him on TV). That's how marketing works....... JB is now branded.
FWIW...some may want to see how this case plays out before they consider hiring him. A lawyer's trial record says more about the man/woman than his (or her) making an a$$ of himself on national tv. JMO

Mr. Hornsby,

Do think Jose is in over his head? Apparently he didn't see the value in working for an experienced criminal defense attorney before opening his own law office and his partner has even less experience than he does, I don't know if he is so arrogant that he simply believes that he already knows it all, or if he was simply unable to land such a job because he did such a bad job at the PD office where he clerked during law school or he performs badly during interviews or they don't want to take a chance on someone who had so much trouble passing the bar exam and ethics problems or whatever. It is remarkable to me that Jose landed this case and I don't care how much publicity you get it doesn't pay the bills. Unlike Morgan, who has already established himself and has plenty of money I can't imagine people calling Jose to represent them based on his performance in this case. When there was no body, there could be reasonable doubt. How in the world can he possibly be paying his bills? IMO he is Casey's worst enemy and will be the reason she gets the DP or LWOP so he can make a name for himself. :furious:

I agree that gas chromatography is scientifically accepted. But don't forget that by the time the samples were taken, the trunk had been exposed to open air for a few days (not to mention that we know the body was not it it for about a week). Plus, didn't Cindy clean the trunk?

So basically, they took an air sample that was unrepresentative of the actual conditions when the trunk was found and said it is evidence of guilt.

Sorry, that doesn't pass the sniff test - no pun intended.

p.s. Unless you start making fun of my thinning hair, I don't take anything personal.

I promise I'll drop this...but, when the analysis reports were done and reported, they DID in fact compare and ID the "cross chemicals" which could have possibly come from gasoline, gasoline additives and some other Blue Star or some type of car "stuff".
I gotta tell ya, though....some of those nasty methane and sulfur containing compounds and especially butanoic acid could not have come from cleaning supplies....and REALLY don't go away....and stink enough to make you sick. BUT, I do in fact agree with your points about contamination and that is a GREAT argument.

And, if you have someone you are soooo PO'd off at....a few drops of butyric acid or ethanethiol in the vents on the hood of their car will leave a LASTING impression on them that doesn't go away...not that I've ever done that to an ex husband or anything....:innocent:

FWIW...some may want to see how this case plays out before they consider hiring him. A lawyer's trial record says more about the man/woman than his (or her) making an a$$ of himself on national tv. JMO

He just won his first murder trial though.
The case is an interesting read.
I am sure it bolstered his confidence.
He was right on TV talking about it ;)

Obviously the lottery money has now been spent and I rarely hear his name anymore - unless the client is describing the type of lawyer they don't want.

rhornsby,

For KC to request indigent status, Baez would have to declare his current funding sources and agree to guidelines, no? Which we know he doesn't want to do. They're in quite a pickle at this point. Reveal current funding sources and find experts who will agree to take what the state pays or provide services pro bono, -or- find another funding source.

Is there any way for KC to request indigent status without Baez revealing his current sources?

Thanks!
BeanE

ETA: relevant thread here:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83007"]The Cost of Justice for Caylee - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

rhornsby,

For KC to request indigent status, Baez would have to declare his current funding sources and agree to guidelines, no? Which we know he doesn't want to do. They're in quite a pickle at this point. Reveal current funding sources and find experts who will agree to take what the state pays or provide services pro bono, -or- find another funding source.

Is there any way for KC to request indigent status without Baez revealing his current sources?

Thanks!
BeanE

The Cost of Justice for Caylee - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Patience Sleuthison, patience...

p.s. Did you all see that a remake if Karate Kid is coming out? How awesome is that!

Yes, but when you've been arrested, you don't have much time to see how a major, lengthy murder trial is going to play out. Just the fact that he has made his name recognizable has given him a lot of business. Many people call attorneys simply because he or she is the only one the person has heard of.

But after watching in court, on TV or during an interview, would you say this is a positive brand that brings in business?
I have a bridge up here in Canada - lovely bridge - in your garden it would look....
It's really much harder to erase negative publicity than it is to create positive publicity in the first instance.

But after watching in court, on TV or during an interview, would you say this is a positive brand that brings in business?
I have a bridge up here in Canada - lovely bridge - in your garden it would look....
It's really much harder to erase negative publicity than it is to create positive publicity in the first instance.

True. I do think many will be attracted by the Baez brand regardless as long as he is not pricing himself out -- as RH alludes he is. Foolish.

Mr. Hornsby.Could you please get us the lastest visitor and commissary logs?It would be interesting to see who's putting money in the account and how many slim jims she ate last week.:innocent:

Two Words: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Rubin"]Ellis Rubin[/ame]

Mr. Hornsby.Could you please get us the lastest visitor and commissary logs?It would be interesting to see who's putting money in the account and how many slim jims she ate last week.:innocent:

I shall do no such thing :furious:

j/k but you can send a public records request yourself to the Orange County Jail Public Information. There will likely be a fee for your request.

Well, let me rephrase. He hit the lottery and then blew his wad rather than investing it.

That makes a lot more sense!!!

rhornsby,

Thanks!
BeanE

The Cost of Justice for Caylee - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Just visited your thread and I noticed that the number one source of your information was none other than a WESH interview with ME!

How awesome is that! I can quote myself in my next blog post:

Hornsby says "..." or
in a rather insightful moment, Hornsby said "..." or
Hornsby was quoted on WESH saying "...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors