RI - Christine Cole, 10, found murdered, Pawtucket, 6 Jan 1988 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Based upon its continuing review of the evidence in this case, the State today concluded that it could not reasonably press its request that the defendant be held without bail. The investigation will continue and it is the State’s intention to present this matter to a grand jury,” a spokesperson for the AG’s office said in a statement to Eyewitness News. BBM - I have been waiting / trying to find the AG’s reasoning.

Cold case murder suspect released on bail

Hearings
07/18/2019 Arraignment (Judicial Officer: Houlihan, J. Terence, Jr.)
Hearing Concluded

07/19/2019 Review (Judicial Officer: O'Neill, Magistrate J. Patrick)
Hearing Concluded

07/22/2019 Bail Review (Judicial Officer: Isherwood, Stephen M.)

08/01/2019 CANCELED Bail Hearing
No Action By Court

link: Register of Actions

Monday, July 22nd:
*Bail Review Hearing (@ am ET) – RI – Christine Cole (10) (missing Jan. 6, 1988, Pawtucket, found Feb. 28, 1988 @ Conimicut Point Park in Warwick) - *Joao “John” Monteiro (59/28 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (7/17/19) & arraigned (7/18/19) with 1st degree murder. Held without bond (7/18/19), reduced (7/19/19) to $50K Surety (@10% $5K) & surrender passport. Out on bail.
DNA Match (male blood in Christine’s pants traced thru JM’s son).
7/18/19 arrested & charged. Held without bail. 7/19/19 Review hearing. Bail to $50K Surety & surrender of passport. Posted bail. Next Bail review hearing on 7/22, originally set for 8/1.

Monday, July 22nd:
*Bail Review Hearing (@ am ET) – RI – Christine Cole (10) (missing Jan. 6, 1988, Pawtucket, found Feb. 28, 1988 @ Conimicut Point Park in Warwick) - *Joao “John” Monteiro (59/28 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (7/17/19) & arraigned (7/18/19) with 1st degree murder. Held without bond (7/18/19), reduced (7/19/19) to $50K Surety (@10% $5K) & surrender passport. Out on bail.
DNA Match (male blood in Christine’s pants traced thru JM’s son).
7/18/19 arrested & charged. Held without bail. 7/19/19 Review hearing. Bail to $50K Surety & surrender of passport. Posted bail. Next Bail review hearing on 7/22, originally set for 8/1.
I will have to look for the article but yes, they found him through his son’s DNA, but once arrested they confirmed that his DNA is a match to the DNA found in the inside crotch area of Christine’s pants. IMO

I will have to look for the article but yes, they found him through his son’s DNA, but once arrested they confirmed that his DNA is a match to the DNA found in the inside crotch area of Christine’s pants. IMO

Okay - I changed this part to:

DNA Match (male blood in Christine’s pants traced thru JM’s son & JM’s DNA is match to male blood).

"The man arrested last week in the 1988 murder of a 10-year-old Pawtucket girl is relieved to be out on bail, his attorney said.

Joao Monteiro left District Court in Providence Monday after agreeing to waive extradition if he leaves the state and needs to be brought back here. He was arraigned Thursday on a charge of murder in Christine Cole’s death, but in less than 24 hours, state prosecutors said they’d reviewed evidence gathered by Pawtucket police and concluded they could not press to hold him...

Jeffrey Pine, a former attorney general and current defense attorney who is not involved in the Monteiro case, said in an interview that the move might not be a comment on the evidence itself, but a strategic move so prosecutors don't have to present evidence at a full bail hearing to keep Monteiro locked up.

"In some circumstances, if a defendant wants to have a bail hearing because he doesn’t agree to be held, the AG can make a strategic decision not to show all the cards and set some sort of bail with conditions," Pine said. "I don't know if that’s the case in this situation, but it’s not unheard of that that could happen.""

Man arrested in cold case killing of girl, 10, still free on bail

5 children in 5 months!!!! I sure hope they can get DNA on all 5 children.

From the first post on this thread:
The medical examiner who performed an autopsy on the body said that she would not rule the death a homicide unless police provide her with evidence indicating foul play. However, authorities suspect foul play as she was one of five children to be murdered in a five month span in Rhode Island.

"The man arrested last week in the 1988 murder of a 10-year-old Pawtucket girl is relieved to be out on bail, his attorney said.

Joao Monteiro left District Court in Providence Monday after agreeing to waive extradition if he leaves the state and needs to be brought back here. He was arraigned Thursday on a charge of murder in Christine Cole’s death, but in less than 24 hours, state prosecutors said they’d reviewed evidence gathered by Pawtucket police and concluded they could not press to hold him...

Jeffrey Pine, a former attorney general and current defense attorney who is not involved in the Monteiro case, said in an interview that the move might not be a comment on the evidence itself, but a strategic move so prosecutors don't have to present evidence at a full bail hearing to keep Monteiro locked up.

"In some circumstances, if a defendant wants to have a bail hearing because he doesn’t agree to be held, the AG can make a strategic decision not to show all the cards and set some sort of bail with conditions," Pine said. "I don't know if that’s the case in this situation, but it’s not unheard of that that could happen.""

Man arrested in cold case killing of girl, 10, still free on bail
Ok. Jeffrey Pine just made me feel better. Because upset, I am.

5 children in 5 months!!!! I sure hope they can get DNA on all 5 children.

From the first post on this thread:
The medical examiner who performed an autopsy on the body said that she would not rule the death a homicide unless police provide her with evidence indicating foul play. However, authorities suspect foul play as she was one of five children to be murdered in a five month span in Rhode Island.
This is the truth. It was a truly scary time. I was 11. And they are definitely working Michele Norris’s killer. She was one city over and died in the same city that JM lives now. The two cases are often linked in the media because they were both young girls and it happened months apart, although authorities have said they are most likely not linked. JMO

Wow! This happened when I was the same age in the same city I grew up in. I am floored that they caught the perp!!! And thrilled! Hooray for DNA!!!!RIP Christine, I still remember what they said you were wearing that day.

Aside from Christine Cole and Michelle Norris what other cases involving children in RI from the 5 month period you speak of are unsolved?
I know of Frankie Barnes & Jason Wolf in 1987 but they caught William Sarmento in those cases and I think he’s committed to a psychiatric facility. The only other one that sticks out is Jeri (Jerri) Ann Richard, the infant reported missing and found dead and raped in an alley. I think her dad Ralph was I originally charged but somehow got off.
Who else is you don’t mind? I live in FL now so don’t hear much RI news.
Thanks!!

Detective Susan Cormier says arrest in Cole case was a team effort
Cormier says arrest in Cole case was a team effort
“According to a police affidavit made public this week, Monteiro was said to have lived his life in a covert way. Detectives followed him to figure out where he lived because none of the addresses he used were where he actually lived. He parked at addresses near his homes. At work, he parked in hidden spots away from where the rest of the employees parked.

The man who went by John had 19 addresses in Pawtucket and Central Falls over 30 years. One was 78 Slater St., an apartment above Saints Market”

Sure sounds like someone with something to hide and someone with an interest in stalking. What does he keep in his vehicle? Is his vehicle registered to him? Has he always rented from someone else so his name is never on a lease? Hmmmm.

Aside from Christine Cole and Michelle Norris what other cases involving children in RI from the 5 month period you speak of are unsolved?
I know of Frankie Barnes & Jason Wolf in 1987 but they caught William Sarmento in those cases and I think he’s committed to a psychiatric facility. The only other one that sticks out is Jeri (Jerri) Ann Richard, the infant reported missing and found dead and raped in an alley. I think her dad Ralph was I originally charged but somehow got off.
Who else is you don’t mind? I live in FL now so don’t hear much RI news.
Thanks!!
In order of incidence:

1987 - Frankie Barnes, 9 (Providence)

1987 - Jason Wolfe, 6 (Providence)

1988 - Christine Cole, 10 (Pawtucket)

1988 - Jason Ellinwood, 9 (Warwick)

1988 - Michelle Norris, 7 (Central Falls)

Little Jerri-Ann Richard was in 1984, before this horrifying 6-month period. The following year (1989) RI had the pleasure (insert sarcasm here) of dealing with Craig Price.

In order of incidence:

1987 - Frankie Barnes, 9 (Providence)

1987 - Jason Wolfe, 6 (Providence)

1988 - Christine Cole, 10 (Pawtucket)

1988 - Jason Ellinwood, 9 (Warwick)

1988 - Michelle Norris, 7 (Central Falls)

Little Jerri-Ann Richard was in 1984, before this horrifying 6-month period. The following year (1989) RI had the pleasure (insert sarcasm here) of dealing with Craig Price.

I live in RI and remember everyone of these. The one that still sticks with me is Jerri Ann Richards. That was the first trial televised in RI.

Just checked court site - no further court dates listed....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back