RI RI - Linda Carman, 54, Point Judith, 18 Sept 2016 *SON ARRESTED, dies before trial*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Records unsealed in inheritance suit against former Middletown man

"MIDDLETOWN — A New Hampshire judge ordered court records unsealed this month in a suit filed by Nathan Carman’s aunts to prevent him from collecting his mother’s share of his multimillionaire grandfather’s estate.

In March, the court ordered all files in the case closed to public view. A reporter from the Union Leader newspaper in Manchester, N.H., objected and filed a motion to unseal the documents March 29.

Nathan Carman, who now lives in Vermont, is under investigation by state and federal authorities in the disappearance of his mother Linda, 54, in September 2016 after a boating accident that left him adrift at sea. After eight days, he was rescued off the coast of Massachusetts by a passing freighter. His mother, who lived in Middletown, was never found. No charges have been filed in connection with her disappearance.

The Coast Guard said Linda Carman is presumed dead...."

https://www.middletownpress.com/mid...aled-in-inheritance-suit-against-12926754.php
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nathan Carman Pushes Back Against Aunts' Allegations He Killed Grandfather

"Nathan Carman made it clear Monday, first to a probate judge and then in a rambling diatribe outside of court, that he plans to push back against the aunts who have accused him of killing his grandfather for profit.

After a hearing in front of Judge David King, Carman stood outside the courthouse and fired back at his relatives. Visibly shaking at times and with his voice cracking, Carman said at least two of his aunts “had a very strong economic motive to kill my grandfather.”

“My aunt Valerie, for example, has told me several times she is the person that profited the most from his death,” Carman said. “The petitioners are the people who have accused me of a murder that I didn’t commit.”...

As he stood under a flagpole outside the courthouse Monday, Carman talked for the first time about his feelings on his aunts’ petition.

In a rambling, almost five-minute speech Carman talked about how difficult it has been for him and also mentioned how one of his cousins has allegedly turned to sex and drugs to cope with their grandfather’s death.

“I want my aunts to know that I don’t hate them,” Carman said. “Part of me can sympathize with them and how difficult it has been to deal with my grandfather’s death. I just wish they could see how difficult it is for me, too.”

Carman reiterated several times what he has said all along: that he didn’t kill his grandfather. And only seconds after saying how he sympathized with his aunts, he attacked them, saying he handled the loss of both his grandfather and mother far better than some of their children because of his faith.
“My aunts hate me and they hated me long before my grandfather died,” Carman said. “I have a deeper faith that has allowed me to persevere and hopefully become the person that my grandfather wanted me to be.”...

King, the judge, on Monday expressed frustration at the slow pace of the discovery process and said he is still hopeful of having the case go to trial within a year. He also seemed disappointed that Carman once again didn’t have a lawyer, but made it clear he isn’t going to hold the case up because of it.

To try and move the process along, King said he plans to appoint a special referee to attend the anticipated depostion of Nathan Carman by Small.

“Because of the Fifth Amendment issues surrounding this case that are bound to crop up I will appoint a special referee to actaully attend the deposition live and make real-time rulings to move it along,” King said...."

Nathan Carman Pushes Back Against Aunts' Allegations He Killed Grandfather
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man whose relatives died mysteriously appears again in NH court
Nathan Carman representing himself in case

May 21, 2018

"CONCORD, N.H. —
A Vermont man accused by his relatives of killing his grandfather and possibly his mother appeared in court again Monday.

Nathan Carman represented himself during a hearing in a lawsuit filed by his aunts over a multimillion-dollar inheritance. He said accusations about his involvement in the death of his grandfather and disappearance of his mother are false.

"The bottom line is, I have no idea who killed my grandfather," Carman said. "I know that I did not."

His grandfather, John Chakalos, was killed in 2013 in Connecticut. No one has been charged in his death. Carman's mother is believed to be lost at sea....

Carman has not been charged with any crime.

Another court hearing is scheduled for September."

Bear destroys woman's car after getting stuck inside

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video:

Raw video: Nathan Carman appears again in NH courtroom

Unsealed Records Reveal Where Nathan Carman Says He Was When Grandfather Was Killed

"On the night or early morning his grandfather was killed in 2013, Nathan Carman said he made a midnight ice cream run and then played several games of chess on his computer before heading to Glastonbury to meet his mother, court records unsealed Wednesday reveal.

The records provide the only details of what Carman says he did in the hours during which Windsor police say John Chakalos was shot to death....

In court records, Nathan Carman described a routine night with Chakalos that started with dinner at a Greek restaurant on the Berlin Turnpike before they returned to Chakalos’ home in Windsor. Carman said the last time he saw his grandfather he was talking on the phone to a female. Carman believed the woman may have been from a local college that Carman planned to attend with his grandfather’s financial assistance....

Carman said his grandfather walked him to the door while still on the phone and hugged him. He said he left in his truck and went back to his Bloomfield apartment, where he stayed until early the next morning, with the exception of a midnight run for ice cream to a local Stop & Shop. He said he later drove to Glastonbury to meet his mother to go fishing in Rhode Island....

In the newly unsealed documents, Carman also discusses in more detail how much money his grandfather was giving him, estimating that he was receiving more than “$100,800 a year” from him before his death....

In court documents in Connecticut, Windsor police have said there are major gaps and inconsistencies in Carman’s version of where he was between 10 p.m. on Dec. 19, 2013, and approximately 8 a.m. on Dec. 20, 2013, the time of Chakalos’ slaying...."

Unsealed Records Reveal Where Nathan Carman Says He Was When Grandfather Was Killed
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grandson fighting to inherit millions says aunts nixed pricey pickup

"Members of the Chakalos family voiced “angry and persistent complaints” after learning that the patriarch, John Chakalos, was going to buy a new pickup for grandson Nathan Carman but only a used car for another grandchild, Carman wrote in court papers.

Carman detailed the spat in written answers to questions, termed interrogatories, posed to him by lawyers whose clients are suing him in Concord Probate Court.

“Partly because of the pressure not to buy me a truck which my aunts Valerie (Santilli) and Elaine (Chakalos) exerted on my grandfather, and partly because I swore at my grandfather for the first and only time in my memory ... my grandfather withdrew his promise to buy me the new Ford F-150 Platinum and instead helped me pick out a more reasonable, used pickup truck that I was satisfied with,” he wrote.

Carman also detailed the financial support he received over the years.

Judge David King unsealed the interrogatories late last week in the court case he is overseeing in Concord Probate Court. He did so after the New Hampshire Union Leader and the New England First Amendment Coalition filed court action calling for their disclosure...

According to the affidavit, Carman gave inconsistent statements about his actions on Dec. 20, when Chakalos was found murdered. Police said the inconsistencies cover the time between 2:57 and 4 a.m., which can’t be accounted for based on his interviews, video surveillance, and cellphone records. Carman eventually stopped talking to police...

Police also said:

• Carman destroyed the hard drive of his computer and the GPS he was using on Dec. 20.

• Police consulted an expert on Asperger’s syndrome to get insight into Carman’s way of thinking.

• Relatives said Carman held another child hostage with a knife once. Acquaintances termed him a “time bomb waiting to go off” and “murder boy” because of a propensity for violence.

• Police said they learned that Carman purchased a Sig Sauer 716 Patrol .308 caliber rifle from a “gun store in New Hampshire,” the same caliber gun used to kill Chakalos. But they did not disclose the source of the tip or name of the gun store.

Carman has consistently refused to address questions about a New Hampshire gun purchase, claiming a Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.
The documents can be viewed below: ...

Carmandocs_5302018.pdf

Grandson fighting to inherit millions says aunts nixed pricey pickup | New Hampshire
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grandson fighting to inherit millions says aunts nixed pricey pickup

"Members of the Chakalos family voiced “angry and persistent complaints” after learning that the patriarch, John Chakalos, was going to buy a new pickup for grandson Nathan Carman but only a used car for another grandchild, Carman wrote in court papers.

Carman detailed the spat in written answers to questions, termed interrogatories, posed to him by lawyers whose clients are suing him in Concord Probate Court.

“Partly because of the pressure not to buy me a truck which my aunts Valerie (Santilli) and Elaine (Chakalos) exerted on my grandfather, and partly because I swore at my grandfather for the first and only time in my memory ... my grandfather withdrew his promise to buy me the new Ford F-150 Platinum and instead helped me pick out a more reasonable, used pickup truck that I was satisfied with,” he wrote.

Carman also detailed the financial support he received over the years.

Judge David King unsealed the interrogatories late last week in the court case he is overseeing in Concord Probate Court. He did so after the New Hampshire Union Leader and the New England First Amendment Coalition filed court action calling for their disclosure...

According to the affidavit, Carman gave inconsistent statements about his actions on Dec. 20, when Chakalos was found murdered. Police said the inconsistencies cover the time between 2:57 and 4 a.m., which can’t be accounted for based on his interviews, video surveillance, and cellphone records. Carman eventually stopped talking to police...

Police also said:

• Carman destroyed the hard drive of his computer and the GPS he was using on Dec. 20.

• Police consulted an expert on Asperger’s syndrome to get insight into Carman’s way of thinking.

• Relatives said Carman held another child hostage with a knife once. Acquaintances termed him a “time bomb waiting to go off” and “murder boy” because of a propensity for violence.

• Police said they learned that Carman purchased a Sig Sauer 716 Patrol .308 caliber rifle from a “gun store in New Hampshire,” the same caliber gun used to kill Chakalos. But they did not disclose the source of the tip or name of the gun store.

Carman has consistently refused to address questions about a New Hampshire gun purchase, claiming a Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.
The documents can be viewed below: ...

Carmandocs_5302018.pdf

Grandson fighting to inherit millions says aunts nixed pricey pickup | New Hampshire
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good luck, police. You've met one person with Asperger's, you've met one person with Asperger's.

JMOO, an armchair diagnosis: on display here in this young man is the perfect storm of high-functioning autism and psychopathy. As a boy, he was coddled to the exclusion of therapies that could have modified his impulses to a certain extent, even when he was known to be violent. Excuses were made, pleas were ignored. People paid the price with their lives.

JMOO, an armchair diagnosis: on display here in this young man is the perfect storm of high-functioning autism and psychopathy. As a boy, he was coddled to the exclusion of therapies that could have modified his impulses to a certain extent, even when he was known to be violent. Excuses were made, pleas were ignored. People paid the price with their lives.

BINGO!

This was determined to be true regarding Adam Lanza after the Sandy Hook school shooting. He was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome early on but many signs of mental illness were missed;

In a 2013 interview, Peter Lanza said he suspected his son might have also suffered from undiagnosed schizophrenia in addition to his other conditions. Lanza said that family members might have missed signs of the onset of schizophrenia and psychotic behavior during his son's adolescence because they mistakenly attributed his odd behavior and increasing isolation to Asperger syndrome.
his severe and deteriorating internalized mental health problems... combined with an atypical preoccupation with violence... (and) access to deadly weapons... proved a recipe for mass murder

Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting - Wikipedia

NH judge schedules 10-day trial in Nathan Carman case

"CONCORD, New Hampshire -- Nathan Carman's request to dismiss court proceedings in the case of his grandfather's estate has been denied and a trial date has been set.

A New Hampshire judge has ruled that Carman's motion to dismiss had no merit. The lawsuit that aims to prevent a Vermont man from inheriting money from the estate of the millionaire grandfather the family says he killed.

The order also scheduled a status conference on October 4 and Judge David King scheduled a 10-day trial in probate court in the case starting Jan. 21, 2019.

The dismissal was issued on May 30 in connection with the lawsuit accusing Nathan Carman of being responsible for the 2013 death of John Chakalos. His mother’s three sisters sued in New Hampshire last year. Carman wants the lawsuit dismissed, saying his grandfather wasn’t a resident of New Hampshire at the time of his death.

Family members also allege Carman killed his mother, Linda Carman. Nathan Carman has denied any wrongdoing and has never been charged...."

NH judge schedules 10-day trial in Nathan Carman case
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man linked to relatives' deaths seeks access to family trust

"...The Boston Globe reports Nathan Carman is asking a Connecticut judge to remove his aunt, Valerie Santilli, as trustee of the Nathan Carman Family Trust so that he can retain a lawyer to represent him in a New Hampshire civil suit brought by Santilli and her sisters...."

Man linked to relatives' deaths seeks access to family trust
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was determined to be true regarding Adam Lanza after the Sandy Hook school shooting. He was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome early on but many signs of mental illness were missed;

Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting - Wikipedia

He is functioning just fine with all of his clever maneuvering. His goal is the money and he is quite professional in his methods in trying to get it. Hardly delusional.

Nathan Carman Purchased Missing Gun One Month Before Grandfather's Slaying, New Records Reveal

'Nathan Carman purchased a now-missing rifle about a month before his grandfather was shot dead in 2013, court records filed Friday show.

The rifle uses the same caliber bullets that matched those used to kill John Chakalos in Windsor, police have said.

Records filed in U.S. District Court in Rhode Island Friday revealed that Carman bought a Sig Sauer 716 rifle for $2,193 from Shooter’s Outpost in Hooksett, N.H., on Nov. 11, 2013. Carman paid cash for the weapon, records show....

The mystery of what happened to the Sig Sauer has been one of the centerpieces of a so-called Slayer petition filed in New Hampshire probate court by the three aunts of Nathan Carman. The petition alleges that Carman killed his grandfather and then his mother Linda Carman in 2016 in order to inherit millions of dollars from the grandfather’s estate...

...In the motion filed Friday, Farrell is asking the judge to compel Nathan Carman to answer questions about the Sig Sauer including whether he used it to kill his grandfather and where it is now...."

Nathan Carman Purchased Missing Gun One Month Before Grandfather's Slaying, New Records Reveal
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legal Fight Between Nathan Carman And His Family Comes To West Hartford (with hearing clip)

August 7, 2018

"...Carman came to a probate hearing looking for an emergency order from a judge to have as much as $150,000 transferred to him from a family trust established for him by his slain grandfather. But not much was accomplished during a nearly two-hour meeting before Probate Judge Owen P. Eagan, who ordered Carman and his aunt back for a Sept. 6 hearing.

Carman claims he needs the money so that he can hire an attorney to defend him against a petition filed in New Hampshire by his three aunts alleging that he not only murdered his grandfather, John Chakalos, in his Windsor home in 2013 but also killed his mother Linda Carman, who was lost at sea in September 2016 during an ill-fated fishing trip in which Nathan Carman survived when his boat sank off Martha’s Vineyard....

Carman, who sat alone at a table flanked by three attorneys representing Santilli, appeared flustered at times, his voice shaking as he tried to explain to Eagan why he needed the money and why he wanted his aunt removed as trustee....

Depositions are supposed to be finished by Sept. 30 in the New Hampshire case. Eagan, cognizant of that pending deadline, set a hearing date of Sept. 6 on Carman’s motion to get the funds and remove his aunt. Both sides agreed to possibly seek a 30-day extension with the New Hampshire judge so that the West Hartford case can go forward...."

Legal Fight Between Nathan Carman And His Family Comes To West Hartford
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge blocks social media request from Carman's aunts

August 14, 2018

"CONCORD, N.H. — A New Hampshire probate judge Monday refused to order Nathan Carman to turn over information about social media accounts he may have, calling a request from his aunts an unnecessary fishing expedition.

Attorneys for Carman's aunts had filed a motion asking Judge David D. King to compel Carman to turn over information from all his social media accounts. The main issue is whether Carman created a Facebook page that includes what the aunts consider a threat...."

Judge blocks social media request from Carman's aunts
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nathan Carman will prove his boat sank accidentally, attorneys say

Aug 27, 2018

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Nathan Carman didn’t know his boat was unseaworthy and the sinking was completely accidental, according to a new court filing by his attorneys.

In Rhode Island Federal Court, Carman’s insurance company is fighting to keep its $85,000 policy payout on the Chicken Pox. ...

In Monday's filing, Carman's attorneys assert the plaintiffs will not be able to prove he intentionally sank his boat or made alterations to it that caused it to sink.

In previous filings, the insurance company says witnesses saw Nathan removing trim tabs from the back of the boat, leaving large holes in the hull."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 27, 2018

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Nathan Carman didn’t know his boat was unseaworthy and the sinking was completely accidental, according to a new court filing by his attorneys.

In Rhode Island Federal Court, Carman’s insurance company is fighting to keep its $85,000 policy payout on the Chicken Pox. ...

In Monday's filing, Carman's attorneys assert the plaintiffs will not be able to prove he intentionally sank his boat or made alterations to it that caused it to sink.

In previous filings, the insurance company says witnesses saw Nathan removing trim tabs from the back of the boat, leaving large holes in the hull."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this insurance suit is the first domino of many that will eventually topple Nathan.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back