Found Deceased RI - Patti Pendleton, 59, Exeter, 28 Nov 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I also have 2 little dogs and we do a lot of walking. This one really touches me. What could have happened? I mean, really, what could have happened? Does anyone have ideas or likely theories other than a wild animal attack (oh, I hope not).

I also have 2 little dogs and we do a lot of walking. This one really touches me. What could have happened? I mean, really, what could have happened? Does anyone have ideas or likely theories other than a wild animal attack (oh, I hope not).

The only thing I can think of of is perhaps her dogs got away from her and she went off trail after them? There is dense brush off marked paths (oak/pine forest) and it's a very rocky area (glacial till). I have inquired on a few forums if hopefully CT authorities were also searching, since the RI and CT states' parks border each other, but haven't received any replies. There are trails to the North, South, East and West of the Ten Rod Rd. (Rt. 165). search area I'm a local I am aware of just how large the area is. It rained very hard Tuesday night, so if Patti has the survival skills I have read she has, hopefully and most likely she would have done her best to get herself covered. The dogs on a tandem leash could have easily gotten snagged on brush. Praying this story has a happy ending. Shotgun season opens today and a lot of the hunters know the off-trail areas well, so there is some hope in that.

Hopefully today's searching by family and friends plus extra eyes (hunters) scouring the woods will find Patti ... thanks for the terrain and weather description Fahlina_G!

The only thing I can think of of is perhaps her dogs got away from her and she went off trail after them? There is dense brush off marked paths (oak/pine forest) and it's a very rocky area (glacial till). I have inquired on a few forums if hopefully CT authorities were also searching, since the RI and CT states' parks border each other, but haven't received any replies. There are trails to the North, South, East and West of the Ten Rod Rd. (Rt. 165). search area I'm a local I am aware of just how large the area is. It rained very hard Tuesday night, so if Patti has the survival skills I have read she has, hopefully and most likely she would have done her best to get herself covered. The dogs on a tandem leash could have easily gotten snagged on brush. Praying this story has a happy ending. Shotgun season opens today and a lot of the hunters know the off-trail areas well, so there is some hope in that.
Yes, one of the news articles confirmed that CT Environmental Police were searching too.

http://patch.com/rhode-island/coventry/still-missing-no-sign-patti-pendleton-police-suspend-search

I have the same guess,.that a dog ran off trail and she followed him and got injured.

I keep checking the news and hoping someone will find her. My husband used to hunt there, but we moved to the northern part of the state and he can hunt in our woods now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

http://turnto10.com/news/local/woman-reported-missing-in-arcadia-management-area

From that link:

“There's some health concerns with her. One of the reasons she was out in the woods was due to some health issues, trying to rehabilitate and prepare for some different issues that she's been encountering,” Lt. Matthew Blair of the Coventry Police Department said, with Col. John MacDonald adding, “I would say there's a concern for her health, that she may not be able to self-rescue.”

I'm thinking she may have suffered some type of health crisis, although I've never read specifically what her health problems are.

I also think her dogs are still with her. I hope she is found soon.

http://turnto10.com/news/local/woman-reported-missing-in-arcadia-management-area

From that link:

I'm thinking she may have suffered some type of health crisis, although I've never read specifically what her health problems are.

I also think her dogs are still with her. I hope she is found soon.

It sounds like her doctors may have gotten her to exercise to loose some weight and strengthen her system in preparation for a possible knee or hip replacement.
Or maybe even a gastric bypass?
Both of those situations are close to me as a family member and a friend had to do this. But I doubt the doctors wanted her in her health condition to be off on nature trails alone.
I sounds like she was trying to get in better shape to me. Bless her heart! 😭

I'm praying she is safe and warm and found quickly. can't believe they are suspending the official search! :(

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It sounds like her doctors may have gotten her to exercise to loose some weight and strengthen her system in preparation for a possible knee or hip replacement.
Or maybe even a gastric bypass?
Both of those situations are close to me as a family member and a friend had to do this. But I doubt the doctors wanted her in her health condition to be off on nature trails alone.
I sounds like she was trying to get in better shape to me. Bless her heart! 

I'm praying she is safe and warm and found quickly. can't believe they are suspending the official search! :(

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I was also thinking some type of orthopedic surgery. It could be any of those things you mentioned, or possibly a heart attack? I don't want to think anything nefarious happened here and LE doesn't seem to think so either, from what I've read. I've followed several cases where people have died of natural causes out on walks and just weren't found in the initial searches. I think that's what is going on here, but I hope Patti is hanging on and will be found safe, soon. I really can picture her puppies staying by her side.

Holding out tons of hope for Patti and her family!

I've been trying to find out exactly where Ms. Pendleton's car was parked so I can search that area next to I go hiking there. Anyone know? Was it the Beach Pond parking lot or up near where all the news trucks were parked (Roscoe Dexter sign).

I found my answer. According to Facebookers, Ms. Pendleton was parked at the Roscoe Dexter sign. I've read there are swampy areas near those trails - anyone who has hiked around swamps after a period of drought, knows the ground can become dry and normal like any other area. But after a period of hard rain, it can turn into a deep mud. Ms. Pendleton was hiking on a clear dry Monday, then on the following several days there were downpours. Flooding in some parts. The scenario I'm imagining is that she fell in area that became waterlogged and with the wind we've had, she may also be covered in leaves. The dogs may have fallen victim to fisher cats. I'm going to help in the search. After any future snow cover - the situation becomes impossible.

I found my answer. According to Facebookers, Ms. Pendleton was parked at the Roscoe Dexter sign. I've read there are swampy areas near those trails - anyone who has hiked around swamps after a period of drought, knows the ground can become dry and normal like any other area. But after a period of hard rain, it can turn into a deep mud. Ms. Pendleton was hiking on a clear dry Monday, then on the following several days there were downpours. Flooding in some parts. The scenario I'm imagining is that she fell in area that became waterlogged and with the wind we've had, she may also be covered in leaves. The dogs may have fallen victim to fisher cats. I'm going to help in the search. After any future snow cover - the situation becomes impossible.
OT what are Fisher Cats?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ms. Pendleton's dogs were found alive this afternoon, but unfortunatly, Ms. Pendleton was found dead later on. Experienced hikers on the scene are saying she got lost. She was 9 miles from her car!

Ms. Pendleton's dogs were found alive this afternoon, but unfortunatly, Ms. Pendleton was found dead later on. Experienced hikers on the scene are saying she got lost. She was 9 miles from her car!

Thank you for letting us know. This is so very tragic. My thoughts are with Patti's loved ones tonight.

Yes, several news reports that the dogs were found alive and she was sadly found deceased. Recovery of the body underway
https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/805545511730249732

BREAKING: officials in Exeter say they've located body of missing Coventry woman, Patti Pendleton. Recovery underway right now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I know that small dogs can and will be eaten by coyotes especially.
Coyotes will also attack humans too. Happened on our farm to a close friend of ours.It went straight for his face and neck area. Thankfully he had a big stick with him and was able to hit him hard enough to kill him. He had his rifle over his shoulder but something told him to pick up a stick laying beside the path. He's sure glad he did too! As the coyote leaped at his upper area of his body he hit a homerun on his skull. No telling what would have happened had he not picked up that big stick. Our farm has loads of different wildlife on it. We even catch a mountain lion on our game cameras from time to time! I wish I could access my daddy's old computer that had many photos of the mountain lions and different wildlife. But his comp died not long after he passed unfortunately.

Thank you for that information. We have had an abundance of coyotes in our area lately, more so than usual. I hear them in the evenings and taking the garbage out in the morning. They follow the deer path through the woods to the swamp and make quite a racket. I always walk with a stick for this reason. Better safe than sorry. Some get quite large.

Oh no. So very sorry to hear this.

RIP Patti :rose:

My condolences to her loved ones.

Oh how sad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89